Notice a difference between comfort and sports mode?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 04:41 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Notice a difference between comfort and sports mode?

Does anyone notice any difference? I can’t seem to tell? I can tell the difference between comfort and sports + the acceleration and dampers setting but nothing on sports mode? The acura website doesn’t say much either.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:00 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
It's in the owner's manual
Sport+: Adds to Sport to allow for increased performance by enhancing throttle response and changing the shift map.
Sport: Enhances vehicle response feel through decreased steering assist, heightened throttle response, increased SH-AWD* torque bias, and modified active sound control.
Comfort: Maximizes driver comfort through increased steering assist.
Snow: Use when driving on snowy road surfaces.
The following users liked this post:
anoop (05-18-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 05:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
If you can't tell, you are babying your RDX too much
Old 05-16-2019, 07:03 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
that's probably it, it still has only 600 miles, and my commute to work is 3 miles, so not much space to really play a bit with it....
Old 05-16-2019, 08:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 190 Posts
The difference between comfort and sport is much more subtle the the difference between sport and sport+, I wish they would of made sport just a tab more aggressive
Old 05-17-2019, 06:58 AM
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts
And I wish that I can default the system to Sport + mode since that is the mode I ALWAYS drive in.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:17 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I find the steering to be much looser in Comfort.
pdpgps (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 07:23 AM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
^As Duke mentioned above, for me the key differences between Comfort vs. Sport are steering feel and cabin noise. Comfort has a looser steering which means you have some more play, but makes it easier to make U-turns. In Sport it's a bit 'heavier' so you have to do a little more work to make u-turns but the plus is you don't need to make as many fine tuning steering adjustments as you drive. Noise wise, it is noticeably quieter for me in Comfort. No added engine noise as you would hear in Sport.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:24 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict
Sport+: Adds to Sport to allow for increased performance by enhancing throttle response and changing the shift map.
Sport: Enhances vehicle response feel through decreased steering assist, heightened throttle response, increased SH-AWD* torque bias, and modified active sound control.
So on the D/S shift button if I hit it a second to to go into Sport Mode is it the same as using the mode dial to go to Sport Mode?
Old 05-17-2019, 09:19 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
D/S Shift

Originally Posted by C2SGuy
So on the D/S shift button if I hit it a second to to go into Sport Mode is it the same as using the mode dial to go to Sport Mode?
So pushing the D/S Shift Button a second time puts the tranmission into "Sequential Mode" and allows you change gears manually by using the Paddle Shifters. That is not the same as putting your vehicle into Sport Mode using the Dial. The Sport Mode on the Dial makes adjustments to the Gear Ratio, the Steering (tighter), and Engine Performance/Turbo and also the tightens the Suspension up.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:51 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by DHood
So pushing the D/S Shift Button a second time puts the tranmission into "Sequential Mode" and allows you change gears manually by using the Paddle Shifters. That is not the same as putting your vehicle into Sport Mode using the Dial. The Sport Mode on the Dial makes adjustments to the Gear Ratio, the Steering (tighter), and Engine Performance/Turbo and also the tightens the Suspension up.
Something like that. You can use the paddle shifters any time but it will revert to automatic operation within a certain time depending on the driving mode. In Sport + / Sequential, it appears to me that once you use a paddle shifter, it will remain in manual (i.e., you must uses the shfters) indefinitely unless you switch the tranny back to D.

The manual is really not clear on how D/S relates to each driving mode. There really should be a more comprehensive description of each mode and how the Drive and Sequential operation is different in each of them. To be honest, I still haven't figured it all out.

I'd also like the current gear to be displayed ALL THE TIME, in all modes, not just when I use the paddles.

Last edited by NooYawkuh; 05-17-2019 at 09:55 AM.
alpine909 (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 12:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
Something like that. You can use the paddle shifters any time but it will revert to automatic operation within a certain time depending on the driving mode. In Sport + / Sequential, it appears to me that once you use a paddle shifter, it will remain in manual (i.e., you must uses the shfters) indefinitely unless you switch the tranny back to D.

The manual is really not clear on how D/S relates to each driving mode. There really should be a more comprehensive description of each mode and how the Drive and Sequential operation is different in each of them. To be honest, I still haven't figured it all out.

I'd also like the current gear to be displayed ALL THE TIME, in all modes, not just when I use the paddles.
If you hold the right paddle for about 4 seconds or so it will put it back into a mode where it shifts for you again in sequential shift mode
Alias1431 (05-17-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 12:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 294 Posts
I find comfort too lethargic in terms of throttle response. The steering also feels a little loose. So, yes, I can tell the difference and I'm glad that is remains in sport mode once set to that, and I don't have to do it each time the car is started.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:40 PM
CGO
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict
The Snow Mode significantly reduces throttle response. Dressed with good winter tires it's practically idiot-proof on snow and ice. But, Snow Mode takes all the fun out of diving on snow and ice. So, Sport Mode all winter for me ...
Old 05-18-2019, 02:49 PM
CGO
Advanced

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh

Yes I can never tell what gear I'm in unless I shift manually. I too would like to see gear all the time.

I haven't noticed that much difference in the transmission between Comfort and Sport but switching to Sport+ at 130kph increases the RPM by 2-300 suggesting the 10th gear isn't in use in Sport+.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:15 PM
Expanse me

Received 299 Likes on 226 Posts
look here and search for 'automatic modes'

https://acuranews.com/acura-automobi...-rdx-press-kit

you are right. S+ stops at 8th gear.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:48 AM
CGO
Advanced

Originally Posted by Funz51
look here and search for 'automatic modes'

https://acuranews.com/acura-automobi...-rdx-press-kit

you are right. S+ stops at 8th gear.
Under "automatic modes" this seems to say "Sport Mode" as a synonym for "Sequential Mode" and "Sequential SportShift" as toggled through the D/S "gear shift".

So, "D" gives you 10 gears and "S" gives you 8.

I did search repeatedly through that document and did find what Comfort/Sport/Sport+ affect except number of gears. Perhaps I missed it.

But I do agree that Sport+ does use less than 10 gears.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:23 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak
The difference between comfort and sport is much more subtle the the difference between sport and sport+, I wish they would of made sport just a tab more aggressive
Completely agree. I too wish the Sport Mode was a bit more aggressive. I just don't feel enough difference between Comfort and Sport.

If I could create my own custom Mode it would be: Sport+ mode for the first 3 gears. Then switch to Sport mode.