Next Gen SH-AWD??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 08:17 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Next Gen SH-AWD??

Iv'e seen the soon to be rolled out 2019 RDX will have the "next gen SH-AWD" - has anyone seen specs as to what they changed vs the current SH-AWD?

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2018, 08:19 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
smaller and lighter?
in the "cutout" video, they talk about the SHAWD a bit..

at 8:24 mark.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:47 AM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Iv'e seen the soon to be rolled out 2019 RDX will have the "next gen SH-AWD" - has anyone seen specs as to what they changed vs the current SH-AWD?

Thanks!
Not a lot of specific details can be found from a quick Google search, but here's a couple of comments made about the new version of SH-AWD...

Acura 3/28/18 Press Release:
"Return of Torque Vectoring SH-AWD -- The third generation redesign also marks the return of torque-vectoring Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®) to RDX, in its most powerful and sophisticated form ever. In addition to improving all-wheel-drive performance, Acura's SH-AWD utilizes dynamic torque vectoring to sharpen handling response and deliver vivid, exhilarating and confidence-inspiring driving performance in virtually all weather and road conditions.

With Acura's Super Handling All-Wheel Drive, up to 70% of torque can be distributed to the rear wheels. And up to 100% of that torque can be distributed to either the right-rear or left-rear wheel, creating incredible control and agility. The 2019 RDX is the first model to utilize this new generation of Acura SH-AWD."

---

Slash Gear (dot com) 1/25/18 article:
"For the 2019 model year, Acura is bringing back the Super-Handling All Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) system top the RDX. That means torque-vectoring technology borrowed from the NSX, with a new rear differential that has a 150-percent larger maximum torque capacity compared to the outgoing RDX."
Old 05-17-2018, 09:03 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
It is clear that the new SH-AWD is far more advanced than the simple system now in use on the RDX. My question whether there will be any significant practical difference in everyday or slippery driving conditions. I certainly don’t expect to go canyon-cutting in an SUV.

The technology is way cool, though.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:40 AM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
It has the various modes now. Snow, Comfort, Sport, Sport+. Snow prob locks the difs, Comfort prob mostly FWD, Sport and + more power to the rear, etc.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:38 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Just reading the above specs, it sound like the RDX is now using the sh-awd programming of the MDX? My 08 RDX is mostly fwd, 50/50 -70/30 in normal driving, 90/10 hard acceleration, and I have to drive it like I stole it to get the "sh" to 1-2 bars to the rear wheels on a hard curve. My MDX can put 1-4 bars to the outside rear wheel on a right hand turn at a stop sign, switch to 30/70 rear bias on low speed inclines, and can do 2-4 bars easily to rear outside wheel depending on how tight the curve. It also helps my Adv MDX has larger front/rear stabilizer bars and magnetic suspension. My +4500 MDX drives and handles like a much smaller vehicle because of sh-awd.

The 2019 with the MDX sh-awd programming and electronic dampers will put this CUV in sport sedan handling territory. That means you can enter curves at a higher speed, use sh-awd to rotate you around and keep you level, and turbo TQ out without having to touch your brakes. Just make sure your coffee cup in the holder has a screw on lid if you like to test your RDX on the curves in the morning.

Last edited by mrgold35; 05-17-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut

Thanks!
Acura started using a brand new second generation SH-AWD system on the 2016+ MDX. They switched from magnetic to hydraulic clutches and also switched out the rear over-drive unit from 1.7% to 2.7%. I have to be honest in that I don’t understand what the percents mean, but what I do know is that the RL was capable of overdriving the rear wheels by 5.7%, and that the higher the percent, the more responsive and affective the system.

My understanding is that the RDX is using the hardware from the 2G SH-AWD system off the MDX. Now if they use the same software is a different story. Like mrgold said, the 1G RDX and 2G+ MDX both had SH-AWD except the RDX had different software and actually very rarely overdrove the rear wheels.

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
It is clear that the new SH-AWD is far more advanced than the simple system now in use on the RDX. My question whether there will be any significant practical difference in everyday or slippery driving conditions. I certainly don’t expect to go canyon-cutting in an SUV.

The technology is way cool, though.
There is ENORMOUS practical advantages to SH-AWD vs the (IMO) trash system in the current RDX. SH-AWD is an amazing system because it’s not just for bad weather, but also for better handling in dry weather. I’ve owned numerous German vehicles and have extensive experience with systems like Quattro, X-Drive, 4XMotion (basically quattro on steroids), as well as your run of the mill slip and grip basic systems from Hyundai, Kia, Ford, Toyota, and Acura/Honda (2G RDX) in snowy-icy conditions.

SH-AWD by far blew those systems out of the water. It’s the most controlled and confidence inspiring AWD system I have ever had in a car I owned. Incredibly capable and reassuring. I remember one time I was stopped at a red light on a very large patch of glossy ice. I was in my RDX. The light turned green and I gave it a little gas, the system instantly pushed all the power to the back left wheel and got me moving through that patch of ice instantly without a hiccup. The system was able to recognize that the back left wheel was on a dry patch of road and sent all the power there. It essentially acts like an electronic limited slip differential.

Most other cars with fhe slip and grip AWD system have fully open differentials which means even if the car sends power to the rear, it will get sent to the wheel that is actually slipping more! Yes many cars simulate a limited slip diff by braking the wheel on the slippery surface, but in my many experiences with these systems the simulated braking does nothing if you’re in a situation like I mentioned above. They won’t ever fully brake one wheel.

Oh and trust me, if this new RDX handles anything like the 1G did with SH-AWD, you actually can and will want to carve canyons in your SUV.

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Just reading the above specs, it sound like the RDX is now using the sh-awd programming of the MDX? My 08 RDX is mostly fwd, 50/50 -70/30 in normal driving, 90/10 hard acceleration, and I have to drive it like I stole it to get the "sh" to 1-2 bars to the rear wheels on a hard curve. My MDX can put 1-4 bars to the outside rear wheel on a right hand turn at a stop sign, switch to 30/70 rear bias on low speed inclines, and can do 2-4 bars easily to rear outside wheel depending on how tight the curve. It also helps my Adv MDX has larger front/rear stabilizer bars and magnetic suspension. My +4500 MDX drives and handles like a much smaller vehicle because of sh-awd.

The 2019 with the MDX sh-awd programming and electronic dampers will put this CUV in sport sedan handling territory. That means you can enter curves at a higher speed, use sh-awd to rotate you around and keep you level, and turbo TQ out without having to touch your brakes. Just make sure your coffee cup in the holder has a screw on lid if you like to test your RDX on the curves in the morning.
That above quote is the same way they described the 1G RDX SH-AWD system and we both know how that operates in comparison to true SH-AWD systems like those in the RL and MDX. It’s not a matter of hardware but rather software. Let’s hope they don’t handicap the system again.

What will be interesting to see is whether putting the car into sport and sport+ will affect the AWD system programming. With the 1G RDX sadly Acura did not think to make the AWD system more aggresive when you put the transmission into sport mode. So hopefully this time around they thought about that. From my understanding (iirc) this 3G RDX is 100 pounds lighter than the 2G and the 2G was like 150-200 pounds lighter than the 1G which was super porky at 4000 pounds, so couple the much better 10AT vs the slow 5AT and the much better 2.0T vs the 2.3T AND the weight advantage...this could be one really mean little SUV. I’m excited.
The following 5 users liked this post by RDX10:
Boltface (05-18-2018), CheeseyPoofs McNut (05-18-2018), HotRodW (05-18-2018), Madd Dog (05-18-2018), ZipSpeed (05-18-2018)