New RDX Versus New Passport?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 09:42 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
I agree the RDX looks better, but it's considerably smaller.
Big time. Way more room in the Passport.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:46 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Yes, yes, and yes! Btw how have you been? Long time no see on here!
Hey RDX10. Been doing great. We recently sold the 1stGen RDX, that's why I've been perusing this forum. Considering a 3Gen RDX in the future. What are you driving these days?
Old 02-19-2019, 03:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by Acuramon
Hey RDX10. Been doing great. We recently sold the 1stGen RDX, that's why I've been perusing this forum. Considering a 3Gen RDX in the future. What are you driving these days?
Glad to hear it! My sister actually recently bought a 1G RDX tech that I've driven around a couple times and man as great as those things drive, I'm beyond happy to not have mine anymore. Having driven much more modern vehicles the 1G feels positively archaic!

I think the 3G RDX is the perfect step up for someone who has had a 1G. We can just pretend that horrific 2G never existed :wink: hahaha. I'm currently putzing around in a Hyundai Veracruz Limited. Super super luxurious vehicle but I am counting the days to when I can drive something else. It's mind numbingly boring to drive albeit incredibly comfortable.

I'm hopefully getting married in the next 2-3 years so I don't want to get into a car payment just yet and I'm waiting for the RDX Type-S. So in the meantime going to find something decent to drive for a couple years before upgrading to the 3G RDX hopefully.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:01 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I actually stopped by Honda on one of the nights I left an Acura dealership when I was looking at the RDX.

The Passport has terrible deals right now in the NY/NJ area - the sales told me leasing would be $450/month for the Passport EX-L (or Sport, don't remember), with 3k down. Assuming his deal was inflated to the moon and back, as all default dealership offers are, even if he were able to provide me with the same monthly price with $0 down, the RDX was still cheaper for me - by 15$ a month, and it already has Navi/ELS 12 Speakers/Heated Leather Seats/Panoramic Sunroof/Parking Sensors, which I don't think the EX-L provides standard.

I found this strange as the RDX is technically more expensive than the Passport.

Yes, I get that the Passport is larger overall, but it's still a 2 row SUV that looks exactly like a Pilot, just shortened + blacked out trim. All its "largeness" seems unused - it'd just be all trunk space since even 6' tall people are comfortable with the RDX's legroom already. And if trunk space was the priority wouldn't a Pilot be better? Just black out the trim. The engine is a V6 which is very nice, but the power output is very similar to the RDX and the torque vectoring in Honda cars is significantly less sporty compared to the SH-AWD's settings in Acura products. When you drive the Honda, it feels more FWD biased while Acura felt RWD biased so Acura was way more fun to drive.

I couldn't really understand why the pricing was the way it was. If the Passport was a bit cheaper, I'd actually consider it.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:26 AM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts
I would assume because it’s a brand new model.

Similar to how it’s cheaper to lease an MDX than a RDX. Money factor and discounts.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:52 AM
Advanced

Yeah, but the RDX is also a brand new model - so much that even its platform isn't shared with any other car (yet).

At least, with the Passport, it really is just a shortened Pilot underneath...
And the Passport Sport trim's screen is way too small. I was genuinely turned off by that 7 inch display.

Though, you're probably right - it's got mostly to do with inventory and dealerships not being given manufacturer discounts & demand for the car is pretty high since there's barely any available on dealer lots. Still, it's a bit silly to get a Passport right now. I think most buyers should definitely wait for another 2-3 months before even thinking of a Passport.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by al28
Still, it's a bit silly to get a Passport right now. I think most buyers should definitely wait for another 2-3 months before even thinking of a Passport.
Funny, heard the same thing about the RDX during its launch. In fact, it applies to a lot of brand new model launches. Sometimes waiting isn't an option.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,416 Likes on 1,868 Posts
Are there people who are actually cross-shopping the Passport and the RDX? The only similarity I see is that they're made by Honda, are 5 seater crossovers, and cost roughly the same. Outside of that, their roles are pretty distinct and there's not a whole lot of overlap with regards to purpose.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Are there people who are actually cross-shopping the Passport and the RDX? The only similarity I see is that they're made by Honda, are 5 seater crossovers, and cost roughly the same. Outside of that, their roles are pretty distinct and there's not a whole lot of overlap with regards to purpose.
I actually would be interested in the Passport, except for the ZF9. I like the idea of a V6 and not a full sized 3 row SUV. Great for hauling stuff (bike inside, camping/climbing gear, big dog), but I don't need the third row. The RDX is more upscale, but the Passport for me would be acceptable. I just hate and do not trust the long term prospects of the ZF9 transmission. The lag in shifts because of the dog clutch is a deal breaker for me since my daily commute on a crazy Connecticut highway requires immediate acceleration while moving (ie.....merging on highway, trying to pass, etc).

Right now the RDX is at the top of my shopping list. Just hope that they get some of the infotainment bugs that many have experienced worked out.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:45 PM
Advanced

I think plenty of people shop for SUVs without actually needing them to fulfill a role outside of the "carry my family, groceries, luggage, and go over some snow or rough pavement well" part.
The Passport is more off road capable than the RDX, but really - how many people would be buying a Honda for true off-road purposes?

I know certainly when I was just curiously looking at the Passport it was purely because it was exactly a 5 seater crossover and made by Honda.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,416 Likes on 1,868 Posts
Originally Posted by quantum7
I just hate and do not trust the long term prospects of the ZF9 transmission. The lag in shifts because of the dog clutch is a deal breaker for me since my daily commute on a crazy Connecticut highway requires immediate acceleration while moving (ie.....merging on highway, trying to pass, etc)..
That's my main concern too, and it looks like it's not unfounded in this application: https://www.passportforums.com/threa...-on-day-5.443/
The following users liked this post:
quantum7 (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 01:22 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by al28
I think plenty of people shop for SUVs without actually needing them to fulfill a role outside of the "carry my family, groceries, luggage, and go over some snow or rough pavement well" part.
The Passport is more off road capable than the RDX, but really - how many people would be buying a Honda for true off-road purposes?

I know certainly when I was just curiously looking at the Passport it was purely because it was exactly a 5 seater crossover and made by Honda.
People will use the car they have for whatever purpose they have. They'll put a trailer hitch on a Ford Pinto and go deer hunting in a sedan.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:42 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
I was genuinely interested in the Passport, and as a dad of two little ones, the Passport is the perfect size as I don't need the third row from the Pilot. And the sound of that V6 at WOT always puts a grin on my face, and then when the VTEC kicks in (yo), it goes from grin to manic laughter. But having tolerated the ZF9 in my TLX, I don't care to have another vehicle with that transmission. Oh well, I don't think I will unhappy with the RDX and is still a strong contender when my TLX lease is done.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:20 PM
Burning Brakes

That's my main concern too, and it looks like it's not unfounded in this application: https://www.passportforums.com/threa...-on-day-5.443/
Honda/Acura has got to get rid of that transmission. I was very interested in the TLX until I drove it and had that horrible lag.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:25 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
People will use the car they have for whatever purpose they have. They'll put a trailer hitch on a Ford Pinto and go deer hunting in a sedan.

I hate to burst your bubble, but I'm pretty sure that's staged. The ears on the does are erect, as a taxidermist would make them. And unless the hunters were exceptionally drunk when they loaded the deer into the trunk, why is there all the blood on the trunk lid?

But in my foolish youth, I had a trailer hitch on a souped-up Toyota Corolla hatchback, and I trailered a ski boat longer than the car. But the paint jobs matched, so it was OK. ( White and red, actually... )

Did I mention I'm from Minnesota? 10,000 lakes and a few weirdos ( Guindon ).
Old 02-26-2019, 11:56 PM
Drifting

This. The Toyota Corolla FX16 GT-S. An early compact sport utility vehicle. ( VW Golf/Rabbit GTI kinda invented it ). ( Hers )

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ved-road-test/

Also, a 1985 Toyota MR2, the original poor man's mid-engine sports car. But no hitch on this one. ( His )

https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/...eview-gallery/

Yeah, those were the days...
Old 03-08-2019, 10:17 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
The J35 is a nice engine for a Honda. It still offers great performance and fuel economy. A V6 also sounds better to me. The ZF9AT has been bad but my understanding is that there's been multiple revisions and fixes that it's "tolerable" now. But I love the 2.0T in the RDX and that 10AT is just milees better than the revised ZF 9AT.

I don't know if there's gonna be much cross shopping between the Passport and RDX. They might be similarly sized but they look quite different. Honda and Acura are also marketing both vehicles to very different groups of people. I really doubt people that want a RDX would want a Passport, and vice versa. The Passport is way more "Outdoor" looking than the RDX. The interior is leagues below the RDX in terms of luxury feeling.

As as others have mentioned, the guts of both cars are very different too. Passport is based on the Ridgeline/Pilot/MDX platform. RDX rides on a unique, Acura-only platform.
Your wrong - I ended up here cross shopping.

Ive been away a few years with a Volvo S60, but reality has set in and I’m looking to get back to a more reliable brand. Passport looked like an option until I learned about the ZF 9 speed tranny...
Old 03-09-2019, 12:32 PM
Burning Brakes

The more appropriate question to me: Is the MDX going to grow a bit larger so a 2-row Passport-based crossover can be squeezed into Acura's lineup between the RDX and MDX? I doubt they'd resurrect the ZDX nameplate, but I'm sure they could come up with something that would work. I wouldn't want it with anything using the ZF9, but the MDX's hybrid powertrain would be stellar in a tidier 2-row package.
Okay, so the ZDX name might return after all. From Car and Driver:

"The crossover craze hasn't escaped Acura designers, and to that end, a next-gen ZDX could make a return to the SUV coupe segment it helped define, albeit a few years too early, when it launched in 2009. Executives are looking at mockups and, as far as we can tell, liking what they see. With BMW and Mercedes-Benz in 4x4 coupe mode—and Infiniti and Lexus largely silent in this arena—the stage could reopen for a new ZDX since Acura discontinued it in 2013."

Too bad it's keeping the "coupe" (we all know it's not really a coupe) body style. I have zero interest in a crossover with compromised packaging and terrible outward visibility -- especially one demanding a premium price.

The article linked above also discusses the RLX replacement, which can't get here soon enough, as well as the next generation TLX and MDX.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Okay, so the ZDX name might return after all. From Car and Driver:

"The crossover craze hasn't escaped Acura designers, and to that end, a next-gen ZDX could make a return to the SUV coupe segment it helped define, albeit a few years too early, when it launched in 2009. Executives are looking at mockups and, as far as we can tell, liking what they see. With BMW and Mercedes-Benz in 4x4 coupe mode—and Infiniti and Lexus largely silent in this arena—the stage could reopen for a new ZDX since Acura discontinued it in 2013."

Too bad it's keeping the "coupe" (we all know it's not really a coupe) body style. I have zero interest in a crossover with compromised packaging and terrible outward visibility -- especially one demanding a premium price.

The article linked above also discusses the RLX replacement, which can't get here soon enough, as well as the next generation TLX and MDX.
I'm kind of in the same mindset. I really do like the coupe-UV's. I mean I like the way they look generally but they make absolutely no sense to me. Little to no visibility, much much reduced space and utility and it's like what's the point again?

I am excited though to see Acura expanding its' SUV lineup and I can't wait to see the new RLX, TLX, and MDX! Good things happenhap at Acura.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:56 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm kind of in the same mindset. I really do like the coupe-UV's. I mean I like the way they look generally but they make absolutely no sense to me. Little to no visibility, much much reduced space and utility and it's like what's the point again?
If you like crossover coupes, you'll probably appreciate this GLC 63S AMG I spotted at my Benz dealership when I had our GLC in for service last week. I have no way to verify it, but the dealer said it's one of only 20 or so in the country. My wife really likes the look of the coupes, but we test drove several in the past, and they're just not worth the compromises. Sure are nice to look at though. Well, some of them are anyway.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:15 PM
Suzuka Master

If you like crossover coupes, you'll probably appreciate this GLC 63S AMG I spotted at my Benz dealership when I had our GLC in for service last week. I have no way to verify it, but the dealer said it's one of only 20 or so in the country. My wife really likes the look of the coupes, but we test drove several in the past, and they're just not worth the compromises. Sure are nice to look at though. Well, some of them are anyway.

That looks SO GOOD . I know I should hate these but I love them! I don't know hoe truly rare these are but this thing has got to be QUICK!!!

I always forget that you have a GLC. I really really like those too! A new generation is supposed to be coming out soon. Very excited to see it!
Old 03-10-2019, 10:52 PM
Drifting

I am excited though to see Acura expanding its' SUV lineup and I can't wait to see the new RLX, TLX, and MDX! Good things happenhap at Acura.
There's absolutely nothing "U" about that "V".

Look in the background of the first pic and compare the ground clearance of the beater Chevy pickup to the tri-star faux-SUV, for instance.

And now try to stuff anything bigger than a Gucci bag under that rear hatch.

It makes about as much sense as driving a Gelandewagen in LA; it's just a different style of stupid.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Wander

Look in the background of the first pic and compare the ground clearance of the beater Chevy pickup to the tri-star faux-SUV, for instance.

It makes about as much sense as driving a Gelandewagen in LA; it's just a different style of stupid.
I do not disagree with you. They're purely form over function which is like a giant middle finger to the whole reason SUV's were ever made. They make literally zero sense for people who actually need SUV's.

I'm a single guy and I don't plan on having kids for a long long time. I rarely have rear seat passengers. So in truth these Coupe-UV's are a perfect fit for me because I can put luggage or whatever in the rear seat area if I have to. But for a family it makes zero sense.

It's purely a style over substance deal.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Its really not even an suv. its just a lifted hatchback sedan with some plastic cladding around the wheel arches

although it funny that is has more ground clearance than the actual suv version
Old 03-11-2019, 07:07 AM
Burning Brakes

I think that depends on one's perspective. Comparing the Coupe to the GLC 5-door, you don't give up nearly as much cargo capacity as you would think (17.6 vs 19.4), and rear head and leg room is nearly a wash. It's when you compare the GLC Coupe to the C-Class when it starts to make sense. Despite having roughly the same footprint, the GLC Coupe has far more passenger space and ground clearance, and about 50% more cargo capacity.

When the coupe trend started, I railed endlessly about how silly and stupid they are, but I've learned to accept that they make sense for some. If you can sacrifice a bit of space and don't mind the visibility, they still offer many of the benefits of a traditional 5-door utility vehicle. Where it falls apart for me is the premium price. Spending more to get less just doesn't compute for me. But to the style-conscious comparing the two, I'm the one getting less.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:10 AM
Racer

Hi guys.

So I ultimately decided against buying the RDX and picked up a new Passport over the weekend. The RDX is way, WAY better looking than the Passport -- it's no contest. But it wasn't about that for me.

At the end of the day, as they say, my family and I will be much happier with the Passport. It's an Elite trim so it's got everything that's available. That includes AWD standard and a spare tire

The end.
The following 4 users liked this post by Sounds:
HotRodW (03-11-2019), JB in AZ (03-11-2019), Marino Moutafis (03-11-2019), quantum7 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 08:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sounds
Hi guys.

So I ultimately decided against buying the RDX and picked up a new Passport over the weekend. The RDX is way, WAY better looking than the Passport -- it's no contest. But it wasn't about that for me.

At the end of the day, as they say, my family and I will be much happier with the Passport. It's an Elite trim so it's got everything that's available. That includes AWD standard and a spare tire

The end.
Good for you. Congrats.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:44 AM
Racer

Good for you. Congrats.
Thank you!
Old 03-11-2019, 09:49 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Hi guys.

The end.
I think you and your family will be happy with it. Congrats!
Old 03-11-2019, 09:55 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
I think you and your family will be happy with it. Congrats!
Thanks very much. I think we will too.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Hi guys.

The end.
No not the end!!

And congratulations man!
Old 03-11-2019, 12:19 PM
Racer

Not my thread.

And congratulations man!
Thanks!
Old 03-11-2019, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Hi guys.

The end.
Congrats.....and please let us know about the ZF9 and how it performs. This is my only concern about the Passport. Hopefully Acura/Honda has the programming worked out. Best of luck and enjoy!
Old 03-11-2019, 01:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by quantum7
Congrats.....and please let us know about the ZF9 and how it performs. This is my only concern about the Passport. Hopefully Acura/Honda has the programming worked out. Best of luck and enjoy!
Thanks! I've only had the car for one full day so I'm not the best person to ask... but so far I haven't felt anything "wrong" with it. I had heard that the ZF9 was fixed so perhaps it really was. It's got a pretty powerful / smooth V6 engine and shifting so far has been "like buttah." (do people still say that?? )
The following users liked this post:
quantum7 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 02:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Congrats Sounds! It's a solid choice.

Please tell us it has auto folding mirrors.... I know it's crazy!

Old 03-11-2019, 03:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Not my thread.

Thanks!
One way to fix that! Make a thread!!! We want pics!! A lot of pics!!
Old 03-11-2019, 03:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by acuraada
Please tell us it has auto folding mirrors.... I know it's crazy!
Yep, it does. And Android Auto (I wanted that). And a Touch Screen (I prefer it to the Touch Pad). And a crystal clear back-up camera (I wasn't crazy about the sharpness of the camera in the RDX Advance). And cargo space that won't have my wife saying "are you sure our stuff will fit in there???"

Old 03-11-2019, 03:51 PM
Racer

One way to fix that! Make a thread!!! We want pics!! A lot of pics!!
Maybe. It's not much to look at compared to the RDX.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:15 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Congrats and good luck. It has all of what just about anybody will ever need. If they had been in dealers when I first started looking in December, I'm sure I'd have considered a Passport. Another Pilot was more car than I needed or wanted and I wasn't impressed with the CRV. That's why I turned my attention to the RDX.

And don't worry about it being a first-year vehicle. I still have my '03 Pilot and I couldn't have been more pleased with it. The Passport is as tried and proven as any new vehicle.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
Another Pilot was more car than I needed or wanted
Same here. I'm coming from an old Pilot myself. The new ones are quite a bit longer than the old ones and I no longer need that size.

​​​​​Funny thing is that the Passport isn't really that much bigger than the RDX in exterior dimensions. But it feels WAY bigger on the inside.

Quick Reply: New RDX Versus New Passport?