New to the RDX

Old 08-25-2018, 10:25 PM
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts
New to the RDX

My lease on my 2015 TLX is coming due in the next couple of months.

Being less than happy with the TLX (primarily transmission), I wouldn’t look at the mdx, and reserved judgement on the rdx until I drove it. I was pleased to hear about the return of the SH-AWD as I love that aspect of Acura’s. But I was super bummed to learn about Acura Canada’s packaging of the features I wanted separate from the apex blue aspec...

I have some some time off work, so decided to look at some suvs that I was interested in... at the end of the day, it came down to a choice between the Alfa Romeo Stelvio TI Sport, and the RDX. The Q5 dealership experience and some ergonomic issues in the cabin scuttled it for me. The Ferrari/Maserati/Alfa dealership was super motivated, and threw money at the deal. The driving experience of the stelvio was fantastic, and there was a certain emotional draw to the Alfa for me. The stelvio is much more expensive msrp with options to get it comparable to the rdx.

At at the end of the day, after another rdx test drive, I was convinced it was “close enough” to the driving dynamics of the Alfa, with none of the TLX transmission funkiness, the tech was more fully implemented, had more features (like heads up display), etc. The interior design of the Acura is different than the Alfa, but with none of the obvious cost cutting to the materials, and not to mention the better seats, and stereo etc. The Alfa dealership really didn’t like to know they were being cross shopped with the rdx.

I settled on my second choice color available on the Elite Platinum (performance red) and placed an order for it today. I am pretty happy with the deal (3% off msrp, 1% lease rate reduction, winter floor mats thrown in, good price on winter tires and they are looking at options changing the chrome trim to the aspec black trim). I am going to use my 2015 TLX diamond cut 19 inch wheels for the stock all season tires, and put the new winter tires on the stock alloys.

I will find out Monday when they can get and rdx in for me, and what the costs and options are for the chrome to black switch.

Keep on on sharing all the great information!
(btw, no one posted any comments to a post I made on the Alfa forums, which was another mark against them)
Old 08-26-2018, 03:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by qwxilvr
My lease on my 2015 TLX is coming due in the next couple of months.

Being less than happy with the TLX (primarily transmission), I wouldn’t look at the mdx, and reserved judgement on the rdx until I drove it. I was pleased to hear about the return of the SH-AWD as I love that aspect of Acura’s. But I was super bummed to learn about Acura Canada’s packaging of the features I wanted separate from the apex blue aspec...

I have some some time off work, so decided to look at some suvs that I was interested in... at the end of the day, it came down to a choice between the Alfa Romeo Stelvio TI Sport, and the RDX. The Q5 dealership experience and some ergonomic issues in the cabin scuttled it for me. The Ferrari/Maserati/Alfa dealership was super motivated, and threw money at the deal. The driving experience of the stelvio was fantastic, and there was a certain emotional draw to the Alfa for me. The stelvio is much more expensive msrp with options to get it comparable to the rdx.

At at the end of the day, after another rdx test drive, I was convinced it was “close enough” to the driving dynamics of the Alfa, with none of the TLX transmission funkiness, the tech was more fully implemented, had more features (like heads up display), etc. The interior design of the Acura is different than the Alfa, but with none of the obvious cost cutting to the materials, and not to mention the better seats, and stereo etc. The Alfa dealership really didn’t like to know they were being cross shopped with the rdx.

I settled on my second choice color available on the Elite Platinum (performance red) and placed an order for it today. I am pretty happy with the deal (3% off msrp, 1% lease rate reduction, winter floor mats thrown in, good price on winter tires and they are looking at options changing the chrome trim to the aspec black trim). I am going to use my 2015 TLX diamond cut 19 inch wheels for the stock all season tires, and put the new winter tires on the stock alloys.

I will find out Monday when they can get and rdx in for me, and what the costs and options are for the chrome to black switch.

Keep on on sharing all the great information!
(btw, no one posted any comments to a post I made on the Alfa forums, which was another mark against them)
Welcome fellow Albertan!

Congratulations on the new purchase and also I must add that the color choice is what I would go with too. I too am very upset that the A-spec is not a add on feature but an individual trim. I think that was a HUGE mistake by Acura corporate.

I LOVE the way the A-Spec looks and the wheels, bumpers, seat design....etc are MUCH nicer than the other models. Boggles my mind that the sport trim doesn't come with adaptive suspension or 16 way seats or HUD. What were they thinking?

If I was to buy one, I honestly would be extremely torn. But ultimately I would have to go with a silver or white A-spec only because I really want the red leather interior (this is a must have). I could live without the 360 cams and the dampeners. The only things I am bummed the A-spec doesn't have are the seats and the HUD, also bummed that I can't get a red on red model. Though I suppose a $700 katzkin seat cover set isn't that big of a deal down the road. Easy to change the interior in comparison to the exterior.

Oh and I also REALLY like the stelvio but there is so much Chrysler in there that it ruins it for me and agreed the cost cutting is super obvious. Not to mention we all know which one will be on the road easily in a few years and in the shop a lot less. The new RDX is by far my favorite compact premium-luxury crossover on the market right now. Punches WAY above its' class.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:28 AM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
People need to realize the A spec trim isn't just adding a lip kit like the honda hfp kit. It requires a different bumper and removal and adding of trims.

Acura is not like German brands where they can order a specific car with specific options. If they were, pricing would much higher and we would all be complaining were paying 50-60k for an Acura crossover.

I assume Acura didnt include the HUD because they didnt want to take away the throwback rsx cluster. If people were staring at the HUD all day, no point of having a different sports cluster.

the only thing I agree with is the adaptive dampener, give the A Spec is a sports trim, this should have been included.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:34 AM
Instructor

You should check out rdx prices in Canada... that is exactly the price range we are talking about (46-57k). And the artificiality of the apec exclusivity just has some weird omissions even for what you call a sports trim. Things like heated rear seats where it is cold over 6 months a year? And in the states you do get interior-exterior color combos that we can’t get here. In Canada, you can’t get a fwd rdx, there are also 5(!?!) trim levels (base, tech, aspec, elite, platinum elite).

I get your argument about number of options available increases manufacturing complexity, but there are just some head scratchers when they chose the trims you can get with which content.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:27 PM
Instructor

I just found out mine is now scheduled to arrive the 2nd week of October.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:16 PM
Instructor

I got email today from the dealer, my performance red pearl is scheduled for production sept 10.
The following 2 users liked this post by qwxilvr:
birdonamission (09-02-2018), GW208 (09-01-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 11:26 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
Congrats, looking forward to your reports.