New Owner One Week Review (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 09:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog

That’s what I think too. What happens in 4 or 5 years when the car is still good, but the software is so old that it might no longer keep up with the phones? Will Apple’s IOS 15 really still work with a 10 year old Android system?

They no longer make the Nav DVD on my BMW, so the Nav is almost useless now.
Being backward compatible with a physical device can be difficult, and eventually everything becomes obsolete. It is much easier to accomplish backward compatibility in a software only solution. Even though the first iteration of both CarPlay and Android Auto relies on having a USB connection, they merely use it as the physical transport, communication is based on IP, so that it can be adapted easily to run over Wi-Fi as well (there are few head units in production cars that support CarPlay or Android Auto over Wi-Fi). The basic design is very straightforward, when a phone is plugged in, CarPlay/Android Auto sets up two way communication for audio and one way communication for video. When a supported app runs on the phone, its display is encoded in a H.264 video stream and its audio is encoded in PCM (over USB) or AAC-LC (over Wi-Fi for CarPlay, not sure if Android Auto uses a similar audio CODEC) and delivered to the head unit, which shows the video on screen and sends audio to speakers. The head unit allows user to interact with the phone app via a touch screen (Honda Odyssey/Accord for example) or a rotary controller (Audi for example). CarPlay and Android Auto are designed to be agnostic to what software powers the head unit - in CarPlay's case there aren't any non-Apple devices out there running iOS anyway - whether it is Android, QNX, or Windows. For Android Auto, the Android Software Development Kit actually includes a head unit emulator for the OS developers use (Windows, OS X, for example). I have used the emulator on Windows a few times when I wanted to try something in Android Auto but didn't want to go sit in my car in the middle of the night. So no I wouldn't worry about compatibility issues with future phones, given that both Apple and Google have designed their respective products with minimal dependency between mobile devices and head units. The physical connector on the phone - whether it's Apple's proprietary Lightning or the industry standard Type C / micro B - isn't a problem. The old and trusted Type A connector is here to stay; and when it runs over Wi-Fi this is all irrelevant anyhow.

Don't know if the '18 Honda Accord has received any OTA update yet since launch, but I have received two updates in the first year of my '18 Honda Odyssey.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:41 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by accord07
being backward compatible with a physical device can be difficult, and eventually everything becomes obsolete. It is much easier to accomplish backward compatibility in a software only solution. Even though the first iteration of both carplay and android auto relies on having a usb connection, they merely use it as the physical transport, communication is based on ip, so that it can be adapted easily to run over wi-fi as well (there are few head units in production cars that support carplay or android auto over wi-fi). The basic design is very straightforward, when a phone is plugged in, carplay/android auto sets up two way communication for audio and one way communication for video. When a supported app runs on the phone, its display is encoded in a h.264 video stream and its audio is encoded in pcm (over usb) or aac-lc (over wi-fi for carplay, not sure if android auto uses a similar audio codec) and delivered to the head unit, which shows the video on screen and sends audio to speakers. The head unit allows user to interact with the phone app via a touch screen (honda odyssey/accord for example) or a rotary controller (audi for example). Carplay and android auto are designed to be agnostic to what software powers the head unit - in carplay's case there aren't any non-apple devices out there running ios anyway - whether it is android, qnx, or windows. For android auto, the android software development kit actually includes a head unit emulator for the os developers use (windows, os x, for example). I have used the emulator on windows a few times when i wanted to try something in android auto but didn't want to go sit in my car in the middle of the night. So no i wouldn't worry about compatibility issues with future phones, given that both apple and google have designed their respective products with minimal dependency between mobile devices and head units. The physical connector on the phone - whether it's apple's proprietary lightning or the industry standard type c / micro b - isn't a problem. The old and trusted type a connector is here to stay; and when it runs over wi-fi this is all irrelevant anyhow.

Don't know if the '18 honda accord has received any ota update yet since launch, but i have received two updates in the first year of my '18 honda odyssey.
english man!!!!
Old 06-12-2018, 11:05 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Dizzyg12

english man!!!!
Which word did you have a problem with?
Old 06-12-2018, 11:47 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by MHarnois
Which word did you have a problem with?
just wanna know I can still play 8 tracks on this thing that’s all 🤣
Old 06-13-2018, 06:21 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I understand what you are saying, MH, but I don’t have your confidence in backward compatibility with new software on old operating systems and the hardware on which they run. When I update my personal tech, whether it was to get an 80286 or an I7 CPU, I always went for current tech, as it would last longer than prior tech, and it was going to get outdated eventually. To hear that the current RDX is running an old software OS is troubling to me.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:00 AM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
I understand what you are saying, MH, but I don’t have your confidence in backward compatibility with new software on old operating systems and the hardware on which they run. When I update my personal tech, whether it was to get an 80286 or an I7 CPU, I always went for current tech, as it would last longer than prior tech, and it was going to get outdated eventually. To hear that the current RDX is running an old software OS is troubling to me.
That's just Android for you. 21% of all active Android devices are running on Android Lollipop right now.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:44 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mcrompton
That's just Android for you. 21% of all active Android devices are running on Android Lollipop right now.

well, that’s 4X the percent of people still on XP.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:39 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DanFun
Many settings you can adjust like turning off the auto engine off settings, and adjusting the drivers display, are not retained per driver or are reset every time you start the car which is frustrating. Another oddity is that you cannot change the driver's cluster brightness settings while in motion.
This is the thing that frustrates me the most about our ‘19 RDX and do not understand how it was overlooked. Specifically not retaining driver’s display settings. Every car I’ve driven in over the past 5 years has been able to retain this setting. Even the Honda Civic manages to remember what the previous setting of a display was...
Old 06-21-2018, 10:11 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Accord07
Being backward compatible with a physical device can be difficult, and eventually everything becomes obsolete. It is much easier to accomplish backward compatibility in a software only solution. Even though the first iteration of both CarPlay and Android Auto relies on having a USB connection, they merely use it as the physical transport, communication is based on IP, so that it can be adapted easily to run over Wi-Fi as well (there are few head units in production cars that support CarPlay or Android Auto over Wi-Fi). The basic design is very straightforward, when a phone is plugged in, CarPlay/Android Auto sets up two way communication for audio and one way communication for video. When a supported app runs on the phone, its display is encoded in a H.264 video stream and its audio is encoded in PCM (over USB) or AAC-LC (over Wi-Fi for CarPlay, not sure if Android Auto uses a similar audio CODEC) and delivered to the head unit, which shows the video on screen and sends audio to speakers. The head unit allows user to interact with the phone app via a touch screen (Honda Odyssey/Accord for example) or a rotary controller (Audi for example). CarPlay and Android Auto are designed to be agnostic to what software powers the head unit - in CarPlay's case there aren't any non-Apple devices out there running iOS anyway - whether it is Android, QNX, or Windows. For Android Auto, the Android Software Development Kit actually includes a head unit emulator for the OS developers use (Windows, OS X, for example). I have used the emulator on Windows a few times when I wanted to try something in Android Auto but didn't want to go sit in my car in the middle of the night. So no I wouldn't worry about compatibility issues with future phones, given that both Apple and Google have designed their respective products with minimal dependency between mobile devices and head units. The physical connector on the phone - whether it's Apple's proprietary Lightning or the industry standard Type C / micro B - isn't a problem. The old and trusted Type A connector is here to stay; and when it runs over Wi-Fi this is all irrelevant anyhow.

Don't know if the '18 Honda Accord has received any OTA update yet since launch, but I have received two updates in the first year of my '18 Honda Odyssey.
Hopefully they'll offer a WIFI dongle...

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/06/21...g-on-iphone-x/

A few years ago, it was reported that Apple's design chief Jony Ive's end goal is for the iPhone to resemble a "single sheet of glass," while Apple has repeatedly expressed its ambitions to "create a wireless future," so the eventual removal of the Lightning connector should perhaps come as no surprise.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:47 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by G_Money
Hopefully they'll offer a WIFI dongle...

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/06/21...g-on-iphone-x/

A few years ago, it was reported that Apple's design chief Jony Ive's end goal is for the iPhone to resemble a "single sheet of glass," while Apple has repeatedly expressed its ambitions to "create a wireless future," so the eventual removal of the Lightning connector should perhaps come as no surprise.
It looks like Apple Car Play may become obsolete in most cars in the not-to-distant future, unless some third party figures out how to jury rig things.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
This is typical of old school development shop. They probably started development of the infotainment system back in 2014 or piggybacked on existing older platform, modify it for 2019 RDX. Once the development cycle starts, it's hard to go back and do regression testing/QA when a new base OS comes out. Most dev don't care about OS level security, as long as their app works, who care what it runs on, not to mention we are talking about the slow moving auto industry....
Old 06-21-2018, 07:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts

It looks like Apple Car Play may become obsolete in most cars in the not-to-distant future, unless some third party figures out how to jury rig things.
"There is even wireless CarPlay, although it is currently only available in a few vehicle models and aftermarket systems. "

how did you come to that conclusion?