negative comments

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 05:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
negative comments

Just wanted to take a minute and see what others think about the number of negative comments about this RDX. I've owned a lot of cars. My last was the Lexus RX 350 and been part of many forums, but never one like this. You would think this vehicle was garbage. If i didn't own one, I probably wouldn't have bought one just from the negativity surrounding this vehicle. I admit I was concerned when having brake squealing issues that still happens, but other than that and the fact that the infotainment system has quirks, the car is awesome. What an upgrade from the previous RDX models. Every car when it changes has quirks, but would love to see more positive posts about this vehicle.

Last edited by EE4Life; 12-13-2018 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Fixed grammar
Old 12-03-2018, 05:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Most people only post when they are having problems. Look at the Volvo forum if you want to see negative posts. Oh, the Period is your friend.
The following 4 users liked this post by ULEWZ:
37tzee (12-04-2018), RDX10 (12-13-2018), russbert (12-05-2018), zroger73 (12-04-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 05:19 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
That's a hell of a run on sentence.

Anyways, I don't own an RDX but from what I've read here, there are a number of design flaws that Acura made that they'll likely fix over time. It sounds like there's been some quality control issues as well. However, I've spoken with three people that purchased one new and all of them are happy. One of them has had the infotainment issues that have been discussed several times here but it wasn't a deal killer for her.

Time will tell whether or not the basic mechanics of the car hold up. For now, I personally wouldn't buy one - not until the gremlins get fixed. It's not unusual to see oddball issues here and there with a new model of vehicle. Early adopters take that risk .
The following users liked this post:
37tzee (12-04-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 06:03 PM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
I would say that I am happy with my RDX A-Spec SH-AWD in Southern California. It is 2 months young and has about 900 miles. I Have not experienced the infortainment issue, except the occasional FM stuck at loading..., which could be easily fixed by moving the selection and then back to it.

Below are my main issues that I will report to the dealer at the first service.
1. Shifting: In comfort mode, at times, 3rd gear does not shift to 4th until 4.5k rpm. Many reported the harsh shifting between 2nd to 3rd, but for me, it was just a little jerk that is more noticeable than shifting from other gears and this does not happen every time.
2. Small knocking sound coming from the rear when going through bumps. This is minor and not consistent.
3. Brake squeak: I just started to hear it past weekend in the morning after the car was parked overnight indoor. It was a very light squeak and went away within 3 miles of driving and stopping.
4. Rear passenger seat cushion a bit loose.

Comparing with other new cars that I have owned:
2015 Subaru BRZ Limited (currently own): No issue, except squeaking sound coming from the seat belt rubbing on the retaining loop on the seat. There was also a squeaking sound on the driver seat and I found it is coming from the seat belt buckle and a shot of WD40 fixed it.
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid (sold in 2014): 1. The black paint on the window chrome trim peeling off at about year 5. 2. Main battery no longer able to be fully charged after about 5 years into the ownership. 3. Transmission issue (forgot what it was), but it was a like a noticeable jerk when accelerating from a completely stop. Honda fixed it once, but it reappeared in about 6 month.
2004 Toyota Highlander Limited (sold in Oct 2018 and replaced it with the RDX): It was the version without the navigation and the only two issues are the ashtray light may not stay on at about year 10 and the rear passenger side door window would get overheated and stopped working. All the light bulbs are original except the passenger side brake light bulb which was replaced at around year 13.

Last edited by subin; 12-03-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:08 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
I agree with generic issues with new RDX (still solid IMO). Idea to Implementation has gone little sideways which they should be able to correct in next year model. One common issue I have seen is the gap between body part joints. I would love to see the perfect fit as in other cars but oh well..

I am still enjoying my new RDX .. it has lot more to offer compare to issues
Old 12-03-2018, 08:57 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am in the market for SUV and the single reason why I have not bought RDX yet are negative comments. I do know how to read reviews and filter out small overblown issues, but to me it looks that RDX needs some QA improvement. The biggest issue I have that multiple people are reporting engine issues on highways (read "limp mode"). Another issue that I care - misaligned parts, rattles in dashboards, etc. I care much less about infotaiment system - this probably will be fixed by software update.
So I am browsing forums and hoping that some mid year update will be announced - that would make me buy updated version on the first day. Otherwise I'll try to wait another 2-3 months and then buy. But at the same time every day I also browse competitor SUVs and check if there anything that would fit me..
Old 12-03-2018, 09:06 PM
Racer

NO engine noise , No rattling of any kind. The only issue I had so far was the moonroof sitting bit higher then body ( fixed now ). If you are still worried about issue, I suggest to skip 2019 model as there is no mid-year refresh coming in. Wait for another 7/8 months for 2020. Gap is more of a design thing not production related issue, IMO

Last edited by Coolguy; 12-03-2018 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:02 AM
10th Gear

I just hope that Acura pays attention to issues that are reported here (or at least to the dealers). I will be very closely reading these forums and checking what recent RDX owners are reporting.
If they will address these existing issues, I hope that March-April will be good time to get my new RDX.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:08 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I wouldnt say they were negative comments..just true comments reflecting the product.

which is different than poopoo'ing all over the car, which would then be negative.
The following 3 users liked this post by justnspace:
losiglow (12-04-2018), markm929 (12-13-2018), RDX10 (12-13-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 07:22 AM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Of all the forums I follow this one has the most non-owner crybabies I have ever seen
The following users liked this post:
RDX10 (12-13-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 07:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
I think the biggest negative in this entire thread is the looooooooooong run on sentence posted by the OP

Had mine since September, right after Labor day, and it has been a great vehicle. About to hit 3100 miles. So far, zero Infotainment issues and only a slight squeal in the brakes now and then...other than that flawless. Therefore, not all RDX's are impacted in the same way. Body panel fits are tight and spot on as well and I am an EE and a very anal perfectionist so I haven't glossed over any "imperfections". We only keep cars about 2-3 years and this is a nice stop gap for us until my wife decides on which sports car she wants next.
The following 3 users liked this post by securityguy:
losiglow (12-04-2018), Outfitter (12-07-2018), zroger73 (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 08:42 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Picked up my Advanced RDX on June 30th. Tried all the other vehicles in its class and they ALL had problems, big and small. No such thing as a perfect vehicle for the masses. But after 2 test drives of the Acura I purchased. Maybe I got lucky but with 5,700 miles on it I have no shifting issues (did have the 1,2,3 issue in the beginning but gone on its own now) only a slowness in the infotainment system loading up, no brake squeal , no plastic rattle, no gas in oil, etc. Just a solid vehicle that myself and my family enjoy driving in. I'm confident the infotainment system will get a software update soon and everything else is good so far. Did I mention that the RDX was at least $5K less than the other vehicles that I looked at. That was a nice bonus. There does seem to be a lot of buyers remorse for non buyers on this site and those comments I just pass over.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrblase:
B25Nut (12-04-2018), securityguy (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 10:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrblase
Picked up my Advanced RDX on June 30th. Tried all the other vehicles in its class and they ALL had problems, big and small. No such thing as a perfect vehicle for the masses. But after 2 test drives of the Acura I purchased. Maybe I got lucky but with 5,700 miles on it I have no shifting issues (did have the 1,2,3 issue in the beginning but gone on its own now) only a slowness in the infotainment system loading up, no brake squeal , no plastic rattle, no gas in oil, etc. Just a solid vehicle that myself and my family enjoy driving in. I'm confident the infotainment system will get a software update soon and everything else is good so far. Did I mention that the RDX was at least $5K less than the other vehicles that I looked at. That was a nice bonus. There does seem to be a lot of buyers remorse for non buyers on this site and those comments I just pass over.
Good decision .. enjoy
Old 12-04-2018, 10:54 AM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by securityguy
I think the biggest negative in this entire thread is the looooooooooong run on sentence posted by the OP

Had mine since September, right after Labor day, and it has been a great vehicle. About to hit 3100 miles. So far, zero Infotainment issues and only a slight squeal in the brakes now and then...other than that flawless..
Yes, but you offset that with four sentence fragments at the beginning of your post. The OP has obviously been reading Joyce’s Ulysses. You’ve been reading Hemingway. It’s all good.

FWIW, I love my RDX, but love need not be unconditional. The first year of a new model is inevitably a bit wobbly; we’re all de facto beta testers. Except for the Acuralink/Infotainment bug that drained my battery - and which is fixable by a firmware update, presumably - I can live with it.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:58 AM
Racer

just hope that "one day" Acura will recall all 2019 early production version and replace with 2020 ones day dreaming ..
Old 12-04-2018, 01:37 PM
SWF
Cruisin'

You should get all the RDX owners who don’t have problems to post here. Yeah, that’s not gonna happen.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:07 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
I have an "early" (4th of July) 19 RDX and mine has been great. I have 8500 miles on mine already, had the first oil change/inspection, driven in snow, and have had no issues other than the minor crap with the infotainment system. I feel bad for those with issues, but IMHO this is a pretty great car. Heck, I took home a Black Friday 8 ft 300lb capacity Step Ladder from Home Depot in my RDX without issue! That was pretty impressive in my book.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:18 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
In my experience, usually, the only members here that don't post only to complain have an Avitar picture, and high post count...
Old 12-04-2018, 03:59 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Here are the issues I have faced so far.

1) Brake squealing in the morning. But goes away after brakes are applied a couple of times. So not a major problem as of now.
2) I heard tailgate moan a couple of times when the car was parked in sun and only for a second closing from the top. It went away when the temprature dropped below 50. So, good for now. I will follow up during first service.
3) Squeaking from the drivers seat back started recently when I shift in the seat slightly. Seems to coming from the lumbar support equipment in the seat back. Another item for first service.
4) Clunk when taking foot off the brake. Seems as if the pads are sticking. Dealer re-surfaced the front rotors once as they were out of round. But that did not change anything. Yet to take it back to the dealer again.
5) Slight jerk when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear at low speed. But this is improving with driving. So hopefully will go away eventually.

Apart from these issues I enjoy the car. Drives really well and no issues with infotainment system (knock on wood). Hoping to get the issues resolved soon.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:35 PM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
New guy here. I've had my 2019 A-Spec now for a month and I am not seeing any of the issues most are seeing. I've had some minor quirks with the Infotainment System but nothing irritating. I love this car and look for any reason to jump in and go for a drive. This being my first Acura ever and coming from a 2017.5 Nissan Murano, Acura has my business for now. Also the wife loves this car!!
Old 12-05-2018, 12:20 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I have had my Aspec since 9/28, about 3200 miles, took one trip form Chicago to Tennessee, it was a pleasure to drive on the highway with adaptive cruise and lane assist. I have an annoying rattle by the passenger seat side, which I can't find, and one in the very back, though it comes and goes. One infotainment freak out where it was not responsive until I restarted. Gas mileage is not great. Outside of that, I do love this car, drives great, very comfortable, sound system is very good, love the panoramic sunroof and I think it looks great. I am not worrying about 1st year gremlins, that's why I have an extended warranty. If i had to go back, I will still purchase this vehicle. I do have some random brake squealing, I will address that when I go in for first oil change / service.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I can certainly recommend the '19 RDX. I have had a few nuisance issues as well as driver ignorance/learning curve thing but mostly flawless performance. There's been nothing that has caused me to take the car in for anything yet.. almost 7K miles on her.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:21 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by vidma
I am in the market for SUV and the single reason why I have not bought RDX yet are negative comments. I do know how to read reviews and filter out small overblown issues, but to me it looks that RDX needs some QA improvement. The biggest issue I have that multiple people are reporting engine issues on highways (read "limp mode"). Another issue that I care - misaligned parts, rattles in dashboards, etc. I care much less about infotaiment system - this probably will be fixed by software update.
So I am browsing forums and hoping that some mid year update will be announced - that would make me buy updated version on the first day. Otherwise I'll try to wait another 2-3 months and then buy. But at the same time every day I also browse competitor SUVs and check if there anything that would fit me..
I love the way the car drives. It's solid and quiet with lots of torque making it easy to accelerate without constant downshifting of the trans. However, there are several QC problems that leads me to believe that they rushed the car to the market before perfecting several issues. Moreover, American Honda Corp has lousy client relations.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 294 Posts
I only post problems here because I'm looking for solutions. But that doesn't mean I don't like the car. I would still buy it knowing everything I know about it today. I only sometimes think I should have gotten Advance, but I think that is just the paradox of choice*. Forums like this are not the place that people look for, create an account, and say something like "I love my new RDX--best car ever". They go through that hassle of looking for a forum and creating an account because they are researching the car or because they have a problem they are looking to solve. And most of the time a forum will have a core group of enthusiasts that help out such folks.

If you really want to find out if people like their car, post a poll. I don't find many folks here complaining of buyers remorse saying things like "I wish I got something else" or "I wish I didn't buy this piece of junk".

Last edited by anoop; 12-07-2018 at 12:52 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:43 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
In my experience, usually, the only members here that don't post only to complain have an Avitar picture, and high post count...
so fan boys?
Old 12-13-2018, 02:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
You've got to understand the demographics of car forums in order to understand all the "negativity". It's a sausage party in here, filled with guys who for the most part are car savvy to some degree and are much more likely to pick on or even notice minor issues.

This is compounded with the fact that this is an all new model. No not just all new, like ALL NEW. New platform, new transmission, new infotainment, new features never ever seen before on an Acura. It's going to have more than a couple of teething issues.

Lastly as mentioned by others, forums tend to gather people who have problems. Not people who are doing just fine. You seldom see people make a post that their car is running perfectly fine. Nobody really cares about that. It's also like when someone has a good experience, they may tell a person or two. But if they have a bad experience? Oh boy you are going to tell everyone you know. It's simply the nature of the beast.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by unr1

so fan boys?
Nope, all the fan boys are over on the Subaru forums. Most of the 'non-complainers' here are just real people, with a decent vehicle, that don't have unrealistic expectations, are willing to accept the fact that nothing is going to match up exactly with what they want and there will always be compromises.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:11 AM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
“Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?”
Robert Browning

Old 12-13-2018, 09:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Nope, all the fan boys are over on the Subaru forums. Most of the 'non-complainers' here are just real people, with a decent vehicle, that don't have unrealistic expectations, are willing to accept the fact that nothing is going to match up exactly with what they want and there will always be compromises.
Lol seriously accurate statement....Subaru fanboys are something else.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
I had several problems with the RDX Aspec when we first got it last month. But the dealer has gone and done a stellar job in addressing them and now we’re really enjoying the car.

Still wish we could have gotten an Aspec with HUD, gesture tailgate, and heated rear seats though. Oh well.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Boy did you ever hit the nail on the head dead center my friend! As an FYI, I also own two Subaru’s :-)
Old 12-13-2018, 08:53 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by ulewz
most people only post when they are having problems. Look at the volvo forum if you want to see negative posts. Oh, the period is your friend.
lmao
Old 12-13-2018, 09:16 PM
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts
Somebody made the point earlier that the people who complain the most in this forum are not owners but, people 'considering' buying the RDX.
Whining pukes need to STFU.