AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX (2019+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/)
-   -   Need advice on 2019 RDX Trim Packages please (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/need-advice-2019-rdx-trim-packages-please-979619/)

Lend27 05-17-2019 04:26 PM

Need advice on 2019 RDX Trim Packages please

I am trying to keep the cost down on my RDX and I can get either the Tech package or AWD. I am located in Georgia but being from NE I like having AWD.
It would really stretch my budget to get both.
Which would you choose and why? Or is there a compelling reason to get both?

Thank you!
Len

Alias1431 05-17-2019 04:37 PM

The fact is, you'll be able to really use the benefits of Tech every day. AWD is only "needed" when you are on snow, et cetera. Yes, SH-AWD is going to make the car driving experience a lot better if you have a bit of a lead foot, like me. It's a sad decision, because I feel like both are must-haves, but if I had to choose one it would 100% be Tech.

JB in AZ 05-17-2019 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lend27 (Post 16427708)
I am trying to keep the cost down on my RDX and I can get either the Tech package or AWD. I am located in Georgia but being from NE I like having AWD.
It would really stretch my budget to get both.
Which would you choose and why? Or is there a compelling reason to get both?

Thank you!
Len

Originally Posted by Alias1431 (Post 16427714)
The fact is, you'll be able to really use the benefits of Tech every day. AWD is only "needed" when you are on snow, et cetera. Yes, SH-AWD is going to make the car driving experience a lot better if you have a bit of a lead foot, like me. It's a sad decision, because I feel like both are must-haves, but if I had to choose one it would 100% be Tech.

I agree with Alias, to a point. If you are comparing prices at MSRP, then maybe you will be able to get both when you negotiate with the dealer. Off the hand, I don't know what the difference is between Base AWD and Tech. I live where we get almost no rain, and definitely no snow. I am not an aggressive driver, so I bought FWD Advance Trim.

Alias1431 05-18-2019 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by JB in AZ (Post 16427734)
If you are comparing prices at MSRP, then maybe you will be able to get both when you negotiate with the dealer.

This. Have a gander at the prices-paid thread. Never know what kind of a deal you might find if you are diligent.

zroger73 05-18-2019 08:52 AM

I can't help but become concerned when I read these stories of affordability.

If a person can afford a $41,795 vehicle (RDX Tech), yet a $43,795 vehicle (RDX Tech AWD) "stretches the budget", that's alarming and is a very strong indicator that they don't have enough disposable income to be buying either one.

We're talking $40 a month more on a five-year loan to add AWD to an RDX Tech. If only $40 per month "stretches the budget", I'd hate to see the personal financial ruin that results from gas prices increasing by just $1 per gallon - that'll cost more than $40 per month!

Keeping your existing vehicle, utilizing public transportation, or even buying a Honda CR-V LX (assuming you NEED a CUV) is a more financially astute choice.

So, my answer to your question of "Which would you choose?" would be... Neither!

Madd Dog 05-18-2019 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by zroger73 (Post 16427844)

If a person can afford a $41,795 vehicle (RDX Tech), yet a $43,795 vehicle (RDX Tech AWD) "stretches the budget", that's alarming and is a very strong indicator that they don't have enough disposable income to be buying either one.

We're talking $40 a month more on a five-year loan to add AWD to an RDX Tech. If only $40 per month "stretches the budget", I'd hate to see the personal financial ruin that results from gas prices increasing by just $1 per gallon - that'll cost more than $40 per month!

Keeping your existing vehicle, utilizing public transportation, or even buying a Honda CR-V LX (assuming you NEED a CUV) is a more financially astute choice.

So, my answer to your question of "Which would you choose?" would be... Neither!

I agree. There are perfectly good cars and SUVs for 10-15K less.

Unless I lived in the dry southwest, I would not consider the RDX without AWD. I have never actually driven it in snow, but I drove it 350 miles in terrible rainstorms in FL, and the AWD was a champ. And it does rain in Georgia, sometimes violently.

SH-AWD with the Tech package is the minimum, IMO. If that is too much to pay, and I have been there in my life, pick something else.

Lend27 05-18-2019 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Madd Dog (Post 16427857)
I agree. There are perfectly good cars and SUVs for 10-15K less.

Unless I lived in the dry southwest, I would not consider the RDX without AWD. I have never actually driven it in snow, but I drove it 350 miles in terrible rainstorms in FL, and the AWD was a champ. And it does rain in Georgia, sometimes violently.

SH-AWD with the Tech package is the minimum, IMO. If that is too much to pay, and I have been there in my life, pick something else.

No need to be concerned guys. And don't jump to conclusions.
I am old school and retired. I abhor debt. And I have none. House is paid, cars are paid. It's just my phobia about debt in general. Absolutely hate it.
As it turns out, I am going to get both the AWD and the Tech package. And I am paying in cash.
As I said, it's more by aversion to debt than anything else. But I decided that it seems to be a great car, and I really wanted both. And I have the means to pay cash, so I will.
But thanks for your concern.

flames9 05-18-2019 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lend27 (Post 16427880)
No need to be concerned guys. And don't jump to conclusions.
I am old school and retired. I abhor debt. And I have none. House is paid, cars are paid. It's just my phobia about debt in general. Absolutely hate it.
As it turns out, I am going to get both the AWD and the Tech package. And I am paying in cash.
As I said, it's more by aversion to debt than anything else. But I decided that it seems to be a great car, and I really wanted both. And I have the means to pay cash, so I will.
But thanks for your concern.

check to see if they have any incentives if you take out a loan with them...In my recent purchase,I was able to save $2000 by taking out a loan thru them...then turned around and paid it off...Was just an incentive that they were offering.....only downside was that my credit rating dropped for like a month,then was back to where it was when I paid it off.

Lend27 05-18-2019 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by flames9 (Post 16427885)
check to see if they have any incentives if you take out a loan with them...In my recent purchase,I was able to save $2000 by taking out a loan thru them...then turned around and paid it off...Was just an incentive that they were offering.....only downside was that my credit rating dropped for like a month,then was back to where it was when I paid it off.

Actually they do have a promo like that.
They offered an additional discount if I would finance a small balance through them and not pay it off for 4 months.
The 4 months interest is significantly less than the discount amount so I am considering it.
Thanks for your input!

Lend27 05-18-2019 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by zroger73 (Post 16427844)

See, it's that attitude of "It's only $40 a month more for 5 years" that gets people in big debt trouble. Before you know it, your car is parked in the driveway because you don't money for gas.
The Credit Card companies love people with that attitude. It's only $40 more a month right? For 5 years!!!!
I grew up in a different time. My parents never had a credit card. I have credit cards, but to be honest I only use one card because of the convenience of buying online. But I pay it in full each month.
Debt sucks!

flames9 05-18-2019 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lend27 (Post 16427886)
Actually they do have a promo like that.
They offered an additional discount if I would finance a small balance through them and not pay it off for 4 months.
The 4 months interest is significantly less than the discount amount so I am considering it.
Thanks for your input!

sales manager said 2-3 months.....Financial manager said 2-3 payments......They said, oh, u wil just pay like $150-$180 in interest......By the time I got the paperwork, it was $193 in interest.....And when I put the lump sum down and left 2 more payments.....it didnt have me paying again until like 2023.....needless to say I wasnt waiting another 2 payments and paid it off at the 3 month mark.....still well worth it and it saved me $$$$

Madd Dog 05-18-2019 01:56 PM

I go in and decide what amount I want in my monthly budget, then pay the difference. This time it was about $20K. I never discuss ‘monthly payment’ with the dealership.

I am not averse to debt, per se, but the only actual debt I ever carried was a house and a car. I have three credit cards, all based on what rewards they give me, and pay them off each month.

OliveBread 05-18-2019 03:11 PM

My wife and I have 810 credit score. Having one credit card is a bad idea. You want to maximize how your money works. Be smart with money.

For example, for us, we got a few credit cards put $4k down payment on each one for the card. Got 80,000-100,000 points for each card. For example the promo for the Chase Saphire Reserve Card was to spend $4k within 3 months and get 100k in points.

We paid each off immediately after that. We took advantage of the Acura Financial Services deal as well which saved money, and let us pay it off.

Our three week vacation in Japan this year is all paid for without having to put extra money into that. Simply from points.

Anyways, you’ve already chosen but I would go with just Technology package as it contains more comfort & safety features. Like a good sound system and blind spot mitigation.

zroger73 05-18-2019 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lend27 (Post 16427887)
See, it's that attitude of "It's only $40 a month more for 5 years" that gets people in big debt trouble. Before you know it, your car is parked in the driveway because you don't money for gas.
The Credit Card companies love people with that attitude. It's only $40 more a month right? For 5 years!!!!
I grew up in a different time. My parents never had a credit card. I have credit cards, but to be honest I only use one card because of the convenience of buying online. But I pay it in full each month.
Debt sucks!

I wasn't trying to encourage spending "only $40 more per month". Instead, I was trying to make a point that if $40 meant the difference between able to make a monthly payment or not then a new car should be the least of that person's worries.

I totally understand financial discipline which is why I've been debt-free with a new home I had built several years ago and have paid cash for my last three motorcycles and six cars. We all have our limits whether hard or soft. I can't bring myself to pay more than $50,000 for a depreciating asset. I'll pay $49,999, but not $50,001. I'd have to sleep on $50,000. :)

My father had credit cards and lots of debt. We had nice things until it finally caught up with him. Fortunately, I had already left the nest and had begun living by my grandfather's advice: "Take care of your pennies and your dollars will take care of themselves."

I waste a ridiculous amount of money selling and buying new vehicles every year or less, but I minimize my losses by knowing how to sell high and buy low and not get taken to the cleaners. I've also worked hard and am fortunate enough to have the disposable income to allow this. Still, I'm guilty of tripping over a dollar to save a dime sometimes and have to watch it. Some people blow money on huge wardrobes or expensive vacations - I blow money on cars and electronic gadgets. :)

Originally Posted by OliveBread (Post 16427913)
Having one credit card is a bad idea. You want to maximize how your money works. Be smart with money.

That's precisely why I have a credit card and use it for every single transaction that accepts credit cards - I get 1.5% cash back on every purchase all the time with no rotating category gimmicks. I charge thousands each month, but never carry over a balance. I use an app on my smartphone to pay for gasoline which gives me another 1.2% discount and I use another app to make sure I'm buying gas from the lowest-priced station that carries my Top Tier brand of choice.

Madd Dog 05-18-2019 04:49 PM

2% cash back on two cards, with different perks, and 1.5% on the card I travel with because there are no currency transaction fees.

I don’t consider my cars depreciating assets, since I consider them expenses, not assets, per se. Except for one car, it has been decades since I did not get well over 100K miles and 8 years on a car, at which point I considered it depreciated down to zero, and just got what I could for it. In high income years, if things coordinated, I gave them away as tax deductions.

NooYawkuh 05-18-2019 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Alias1431 (Post 16427714)

SH-AWD is also very effective in the rain. I haven't driven in snow yet but we've had A LOT of heavy rain here recently and I'm very impressed with the handing on wet roads. I attribute it to the torque-vectoring. You can see it on the Sport display.

I've never owned Continental tires before but I'm impressed with them too. They handle well and they're fairly quiet. If they handle reasonably well in snow, I might just stick with them when the time comes for new rubber. I went through two sets of Goodyear Triple Treads on my Pilot and they were amazing all-weather tires. But they were a bit noisier than less aggressive AW tires. That was okay on the Pilot because it wasn't a very quite vehicle anyway but I wouldn't want the additional noise in the RDX.

dweilbacher 05-22-2019 03:35 PM

Since CC are being discussed... I use the Amazon Prime card. 5% Cash back on all Amazon purchases, 2% on Gas, Restaurants, Drug Stores, 1% on all other. Since we buy a lot off Amazon is really adds up.

And I agree with the little to no debt concept. Both my cars have been paid off (4 years ago). sold one this year and got the RDX. House (15 year loan) is paid off in a few months. Really nice feeling to be in control of your finances.

DrWoo 05-22-2019 03:48 PM

I notice this thread has gone off on a tangent, but I agree with the goal of not having debt. However, I still finance my vehicles when it’s to my advantage. RDX is financed at 2.49%, so I figure I’m better off keeping my money invested making 5-6% in dividends or stock appreciation rather than paying cash.

Lend27 05-22-2019 04:55 PM

I ended up buying a 2019 RDX with Tech and AWD.
Very impressive vehicle.