Navigation vs Google Maps

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 07:56 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Navigation vs Google Maps

Hi im trying to assess the Pros and Cons of these options.

I have an Advanced and a big Pro of the built in navigation is the turn directions being displayed in the HUD.

As far as Cons, unlike Google maps I don't think the NAV let's you and route alternatives and choose the one you prefer.

I noticed there is a "show traffic"setting but I don't know how effective this is. Does it even work if your car isn't connected? I didn't think you can get this data in real time through GPS...
Old 08-01-2018, 08:03 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by WPJoe
Hi im trying to assess the Pros and Cons of these options.

I have an Advanced and a big Pro of the built in navigation is the turn directions being displayed in the HUD.

As far as Cons, unlike Google maps I don't think the NAV let's you and route alternatives and choose the one you prefer.

I noticed there is a "show traffic"setting but I don't know how effective this is. Does it even work if your car isn't connected? I didn't think you can get this data in real time through GPS...
If, when you refer to being ‘connected’ you are not referring to being connected to your phone, but rather being connected to the online server of the Acura Nav, traffic and POI works. How effective? I bet that varies. See page 37 or the NAV manual.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:29 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just curious....do you get free map updates for a certain period of time after purchasing? Also, anyone know how much the the updates are?
Old 08-01-2018, 09:12 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I’d like to see Acura roll out improvements to the nav. As noted in another thread, names get truncated on the screen and no exit numbers are shown - although I did get voiceover telling me the exit number as I approached. I also did see traffic indication but it wasn’t as good as Apple, Google or Waze.
The voice recognition works extremely well. But the takeaway for me the phone based apps will win over. I never used Apple Maps - always Google and recently a little Waze - but I’m impressed on how well Maps works with CarPlay. I assume the same once iOS 12 rolls out with the other two map products.

i doubt we will see non-Acura nav in the HUD but that would be an awesome win for Google if they pull it off.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:43 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by knhellesky
Just curious....do you get free map updates for a certain period of time after purchasing? Also, anyone know how much the the updates are?
Yes Acura provide free Navigation updates. I want to say they are for 5 years but someone please correct me if that is incorrect.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
In the thread listed as Navigation Update 6/27/18 - reply #37, I posted the exact wording from the detailed Acura RDX First Press Release posted on their site. It states the 5 year free upgrades.
The following users liked this post:
Jeffro941 (08-02-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 03:15 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hou-RL
Yes Acura provide free Navigation updates. I want to say they are for 5 years but someone please correct me if that is incorrect.
Originally Posted by fodder
In the thread listed as Navigation Update 6/27/18 - reply #37, I posted the exact wording from the detailed Acura RDX First Press Release posted on their site. It states the 5 year free upgrades.
Thank you!
Old 08-01-2018, 07:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I have not tried RDX yet as wife is still waiting for her's, but unless it is light years better than last gen or even 19TLX I will stick with Android Auto and Google maps. Acura is falling so far behind it is sad. The voice recognition is so weak compared to Android Google.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:13 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Question for owners.

Does anyone know if the speed limit information shown the center display and the HUD is sourced from only the nav unit or is it a combination of the nav and/or the front camera. I saw a post somewhere that showed a claim on some Acura documentation for traffic sign recognition that seemed to imply that it involved the front camera. Sometimes the nav maps are out of date wrt speed limits. I read in the Audi Q5 owners manual that its traffic speed limit info is a blend of nav and camera recognition. I test drove a Mazda CX5 that specifically mentions that the camera is used and actually showed stop signs in addition to speed limits. Not sure about the X3 or the Volvo. This interests me because I've seen may Garmin windshield mounted GPS give me out of date speed limits ( ie 65mph after just passing a sign for 70mph on I75).

Thanks
Old 08-02-2018, 12:57 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Owner's Manual page 128: "Shows the current speed limit based on information compiled through the navigation system."

No mention of using camera data.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:16 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
If it can ascertain speed limits from posted signs it s not working. A Honda dealer told me the ‘18 Accord did this as well.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:38 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
We were comparing the Accord Touring and the RDX. The RDX uses GPS data according to the manual, and Accord uses the camera for signs. On the Accord, if you pulled into the street between signs, you got no speed limits. Same with if the sign was blocked. For example, going from a 65 zone to a 55 zone, but a truck blocks the sign, you don’t get the right speed. With GPS, you would, depending on how well it is working. That has worked well using phone based apps.

I just picked up the car, and am giving the HERE system a good, long shot.

I expect to use it if I am not going someplace where traffic conditions are that important to me, just to see how it goes, and to not use data.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:12 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
I am impressed with the speed limit information so far, after 1300 miles. It generally changes within a second of passing a speed limit sign. I did note one spot that we travel through quite often where the speed drops from 45 to 40 through a small village, and it doesn’t get that change. But other than that, it’s been very accurate.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:58 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by WPJoe
The Nav gets traffic data via an HD radio data signal. The service is provided by HERE, but it is limited to major metro areas. I'm not sure I would call traffic data "real-time" from any service; there is a lag of at least a few minutes.