Navigation Update 6/27/18

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 04:27 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
You do not need to leave the vehicle in accessory mode. Just leave the usb drive in the port and drive around like you usually do. When you stop and turn off the vehicle and then back in again, the update picks up from where it left off and eventually will update. Mine did so over the last two days driving back and forth to work.

Or, if you are impatient, then continue doing accessory mode
Old 11-07-2018, 04:52 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rdxny
My update (eventually) went ok, shows 10/18, but several times I had a "Maps out of date" message when entering a location. Odd...
I have had the same issue. It's happened 3 or 4 times since the update
Old 11-07-2018, 06:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 125 Posts
HERE is having some serious issues. They took the update down from their site too so folks can no longer download it.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:37 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
$0.00

5 years worth of "quarterly" map updates are provided at no cost. After that, there may be a subscription fee.
I haven't yet grasped the secret handshake for obtaining map updates and decided to go directly to the HERE website and opened a chat. It went very different than what I am reading here about updates. Here is a copy and paste of some of the key parts of the chat:
Start of Chat
You
2019 Acura RDX Advance is the vehicle
I am unclear as to the procedure for determining the current maps release level and procedures how to find updates and if they are complimentary at this time. The web site did not show newer than 2017.model year for RDX. The map date installed in my vehicle is in Feb 2018.
HERE
Hello, your 2019 RDX came equipped with the newest maps currently available. At this time, the release date of the next update has not been officially announced. Generally updates are released every 12-18 months.
You
One question - how is the consumer notified when a new release becomes available?
HERE
You can be signed up to receive emails notifying you about the next releases. I can put it into our database right now if you provide me with a good email address!
You
(provided email address)
Thank you and one last question - can you state the policy on complimentary updates for new vehicles?
HERE
We do not have complimentary updates for new vehicles. Each map update is a one time purchase.
End of Chat
According to this, there are no updates available and each update has a cost.
Any comments on why this is so different than what several have posted in this thread about downloading and applying updates and no mention of a charge. Thanks.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:45 PM
Burning Brakes

I asked for a supervisor. Yes, the updates are free. These folks are web-based and that are answering our calls only answer calls are their RETAIL division that sells maps. There are NO maps available for sale and that is all the know. There are updates for our vehicle and that is a part of a different team at HERE. Very frustrating to say the least and they don't go out of their way to help folks. Very disappointing experience!
Old 11-10-2018, 04:00 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I was able to download the map update a week ago, took forever, and I tried to update twice, it failed both times after about 15 to 20 minutes.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
15 to 20 minutes ain’t gonna get it done. I tried updating during progressively longer drives and it never completed the update. I assumed that after multiple drives (10 to 15) the update wasn’t going to restart and complete on its own. I put the car in accessory mode in the garage and started the process and it completed somewhere between 45 and 75 minutes. I would guess a 75 minute drive would get the job done but I don’t make to many of those.

P.S. I dont recognize any differences in the mapping and I don’t use the Nav system that often. I just took it as a challenge to get the update completed. It did and my life has not improved noticeably .
Old 11-12-2018, 06:59 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
FWIW the recent update did include a recently completed bypass on a US highway I travel fairly frequently. So I no longer appear to be off-roading when I traverse that segment.

But the overall impact on my quality of life is modest.

The ability to control the zoom level of the Nav display would have a more noticeable impact.

I wonder if they don't want to release map updates until after they release an infotainment system software update, because of the documented issues with getting the thing to complete map updates ( not to mention the sub-optimal map data delivery scheme ). Dunno. But I can't help but question the commitment of HERE to this implementation. I hope Acura has a solid contract with them.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:12 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
I installed the update a few weeks ago, and I’ve used it a few times. Today I got a message on my infotainment screen that my maps were out of date.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:36 AM
Drifting

Yeah, she gets annoyed when I ask her to find things. Tells me my "maps are out of date", whatever that means.

Should I tell her to use her tracking device?
Old 11-25-2018, 08:19 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by DrWoo
I installed the update a few weeks ago, and I’ve used it a few times. Today I got a message on my infotainment screen that my maps were out of date.
Check version of your map again, if not the latest, re-install again..
Old 11-25-2018, 08:43 AM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I got InvalidState error. Anybody got that?
Now my version is “partially updated”
Old 11-25-2018, 08:00 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by guytdt
I got InvalidState error. Anybody got that?
Now my version is “partially updated”
Nope. You're special. I'm just out of date. ( What else is new? )

Reinstalling from the download isn't a bad idea, unless in a completely atypical fit of tidiness you decided to delete the download.

Although now that I think about it, I'm not sure the system will let a lowly end-user reinstall a given version anyway.

But if the installation failed part-way through, you might be able to start over.

Last edited by Wander; 11-25-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:39 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Unhappy

I'm now getting the "maps out of date" message now too after installing the new/recently pulled update. There doesnt seem to be a way to revert back neither so I'm stuck with this most recent "out of date" map version for now I guess.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:45 AM
Racer

Dammn I hope is not going to happen to all of us that recently updated the map..and eventually we one by one getting this message "out of date"
Old 11-26-2018, 10:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
It's been 3 weeks since I updated and the only thing I've noticed is a couple of streets now show that did not before (new subdivision). No issues with out of date maps. Maybe try to install the update again in the event the first one didn't go correctly.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:25 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
It's been 3 weeks since I updated and the only thing I've noticed is a couple of streets now show that did not before (new subdivision). No issues with out of date maps. Maybe try to install the update again in the event the first one didn't go correctly.
Me too, finger cross, hope not happening to the rest of us..

Old 11-26-2018, 11:38 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
What is the date of the release of your updated map (in the Navigation Help section)? I have not updated since I got the vehicle in June and the date on my release is 2018.02.16. I think I am going to leave well enough alone until this update process seems to settle down, perhaps after an infotainment system update and live with any streets missing which should not be many. There are always alternatives via Car Play.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I believe the updated was pulled as others suggest. I guess you have to check the forums or miss out. I was one who saw the June Update which also ironically disappeared. But grabbed it and installed when it was there. I never got to see the October Map update so guess I missed that one. The June Update did take me most of a round trip to a business meeting. All of one way and 1/4 of the return trip when the Update Success message popped up. (Total time was over an hour.) But it did work. Kind of weird how the 2019 RDX shows up and then suddenly goes away. Somehow someone who was able to grab it should find a place to post and share it since it is a no fee piece of software.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by WoodyB
I believe the updated was pulled as others suggest. I guess you have to check the forums or miss out. I was one who saw the June Update which also ironically disappeared. But grabbed it and installed when it was there. I never got to see the October Map update so guess I missed that one. The June Update did take me most of a round trip to a business meeting. All of one way and 1/4 of the return trip when the Update Success message popped up. (Total time was over an hour.) But it did work. Kind of weird how the 2019 RDX shows up and then suddenly goes away. Somehow someone who was able to grab it should find a place to post and share it since it is a no fee piece of software.
Sharing is not a problem, but since the map update specific to VIN number (where you have to enter VIN number before download) that could be a problem..

Old 11-26-2018, 01:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Yotrek
Sharing is not a problem, but since the map update specific to VIN number (where you have to enter VIN number before download) that could be a problem..
Good point. It could embed that somewhere. I looked at the download folder it created back in June when I got the last update and there is no download per se. The file on the USB seemed like something you could copy but perhaps there is a checksum type of situation. Not really sure. Seems strange how they post things and pull them at will.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:51 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
I doubt if updates are specific to VIN#. They need VIN# just to make sure its eligible for free updates and identify current map version (if at all). Map software is provided by HERE and hence need VIN# to verify.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gtssenior
What is the date of the release of your updated map (in the Navigation Help section)? I have not updated since I got the vehicle in June and the date on my release is 2018.02.16. I think I am going to leave well enough alone until this update process seems to settle down, perhaps after an infotainment system update and live with any streets missing which should not be many. There are always alternatives via Car Play.
My original date was 2018-02-16 and after the update it's 2018.10.18.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Coolguy
I doubt if updates are specific to VIN#. They need VIN# just to make sure its eligible for free updates and identify current map version (if at all). Map software is provided by HERE and hence need VIN# to verify.
In case you miss the fine print just before you download on their page, it warn you once map downloaded on your memory stick, it only work with that, inputed VIN # and cannot be use on other..or it will lock up..you don't have to believe me check for yourself ..
Old 11-26-2018, 06:04 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Maybe I am looking in the wrong place? Starting on HERE.com...map updates...Acura...RDX....the last vehicle year I see is 2017.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by WoodyB
No map update is currently available for 2019 RDX.

IIRC the ( briefly available ) June update caused me no problems once I managed to get it installed, aside from still showing me driving cross country on a nearby newly constructed bypass. The ( briefly available ) October update is causing the system to display messages that the maps are out of date, rather paradoxically, but it knows about said bypass. So it's a mixed bag.

VIN is required to get the download. I have no idea if the actual map data is locked to the specific vehicle ( and since the download page is inaccessible at this time, any verbiage therein is moot ) but that is the case for many maps used by Garmin stand-alone devices, especially hand-held devices.

For Garmin handheld GPS receivers, the map data is encrypted and a decryption key is installed that is specific to the serial number of the device. At about $100 a pop, TOPO maps were (are?) a revenue stream for Garmin/HERE.

But for better or worse, that Honda/Garmin system isn't the same as the Acura/HERE system on our 3rd-gen RDXs, even though the map data is supplied by HERE.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by EFR
Maybe I am looking in the wrong place? Starting on HERE.com...map updates...Acura...RDX....the last vehicle year I see is 2017.
No you’re not in the wrong place, the link for 2019 download was there before, they seem to remove it again, second time...
Old 11-26-2018, 07:32 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I got an out of date today, and it was the first time I actually tried to use the nav to get somewhere. But after I dismissed it, it still sent me on my way.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:53 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
In case you miss the fine print just before you download on their page, it warn you once map downloaded on your memory stick, it only work with that, inputed VIN # and cannot be use on other..or it will lock up..you don't have to believe me check for yourself ..
I trust you .. I never reached to that point actually.. I had issues with "Invalid VIN" error message at HERE website and when talked to them.. they told me no update available for my 2019 RDX and removed 2018/19 from the website after few mins.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:54 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like the download may still be there with only the model year navigation disabled. When the update was open, I could not finish the download on Mojave/Sierra but had left the page open. I just pasted the URL into a new tab, entered my VIN and database version date and got back the 2018.10.18 version and a Download button. But, the downloader will still not work on my system. I tried to copy the URL to both a Windows partition and a MacBook that was not updated but neither works.
Here's the URL in case anybody else may want to give it a try: https://acuranavi.navigation.com/vie...KHomepage-Home.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alrouse
Here's the URL in case anybody else may want to give it a try: https://acuranavi.navigation.com/vie...KHomepage-Home.
"Page not found" just now.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:03 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
We test drove the 2019 CRV as part of due diligence on buying a car. The CRV uses Garmin (odd that one company wouldn't stick with basically one vendor) and that Garmins operation was about as identical to the Garmin standalone device I have in my old Land Rover as it could be. That Garmin updates frequently, is easy to update, and updates for free...forever. I have not yet attempted an Acura update, but from reading all this, how I may be wishing Acura just stuck with what they put in the CRV. Thank goodness for Apple CarPlay and it's plethora of maps/vendors that get updated all the time too...for free...forever. HERE....sheesh.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:21 PM
Racer

The big question now is, why Acura remove the link to download map update for 2019 RDX..
Old 11-27-2018, 02:18 PM
Racer

The big question now is, why Acura remove the link to download map update for 2019 RDX..
There can only be two explanations that make sense to me. One is that the update map itself has a problem and is withdrawn for the time being. Or two is that the map install routine on the 2019 RDX is not right and awaiting a new infotainment update which would be a prerequisite to download and install the map update. Either way, just removing the link is poor form by Acura/HERE without providing any explanations. The link should go to the explanation until such a time that they want to re-release it.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:47 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Pretty frustrating. My map is Feb 2018 and when I go to the website this is what I see (no updates for models after 2017):
Old 11-27-2018, 06:56 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by gtssenior
There can only be two explanations that make sense to me. One is that the update map itself has a problem and is withdrawn for the time being. Or two is that the map install routine on the 2019 RDX is not right and awaiting a new infotainment update which would be a prerequisite to download and install the map update. Either way, just removing the link is poor form by Acura/HERE without providing any explanations. The link should go to the explanation until such a time that they want to re-release it.
I agree with this assessment. I'm leaning toward door #2, considering the "map out of date" messages I have been getting since I did manage to download and install the October update. But there seem to be remaining problems with the software for downloading the map update to the client's USB thumbdrive, at least for MacOS. After I got the October map update installed with the June/July "mapdownloader" and read about other users having issues, I decided to download the "new and improved" mapdownloader app and succeeded in breaking everything. ( Except the car, which still functions... )

But in any case, these seemingly random leaks "into the wild" are somewhat unseemly.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by fligster
I got this first time I am using nav after update
Start getting this notice, anyone know how to revert back to the earlier version..
Old 04-21-2019, 11:12 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Just click OK and it goes away and continues what it was doing.

June is one year, so I expect the yearly update then.
The following users liked this post:
securityguy (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 11:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Start getting this notice, anyone know how to revert back to the earlier version..
you can never go backwards
Old 04-21-2019, 09:52 PM
Drifting

"TIme keeps on slippin, slippin, slippin, into the future..."

Time for some 70's psychedelic pop-rock. Strangely appropriate for an infotainment system that seems a bit disoriented ( stoned? ).

Quick Reply: Navigation Update 6/27/18