Navigation sucks

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 12:56 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Navigation sucks

Android auto can't come soon enough, stock navigation sucks, can't find half my destinations, horrible
Old 10-14-2018, 02:30 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil Onyschuk
Android auto can't come soon enough, stock navigation sucks, can't find half my destinations, horrible
very generic complaint. Be more specific
Old 10-14-2018, 06:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I have actually been pleasantly pleased with the RDX Navi compared to old gen.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:21 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
I've been happy with the nav, also. The voice recognition is fabulous - I can just say "find xyz store" or "find abc hotel in City State" and it's been pretty flawless. Although I did have one instance where it did take me past my destination by about a half mile. The Send to phone feature on the app is great. My wife hates tech, and she was out alone trying to get somewhere. I pulled up the app on my phone, quickly got her destination, and sent it to the car nav. Worked great.

My only gripe is not being able to select a route. But I tend to know generally the way I want to go, and just use the nav for the final leg of the trip.

I have tried Google Maps and Waze on a recent trip. They didn't seem that much different in terms of function or zoom, but I loose the HUD, and car nav just looks so much better.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:06 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I can't send an address to the car from my phone. It says it is sending it, then it says it was sent, but when I get to the car it is not there. If I re-send it while the car has started up, it does show up. I am not happy that I can't mute or unmute the spoken directions, or effectively change the scale on a route.
The following users liked this post:
robuckj (10-14-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 08:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I have actually been pleasantly pleased with the RDX Navi compared to old gen.
Originally Posted by DrWoo
I've been happy with the nav, also. The voice recognition is fabulous -... My only gripe is not being able to select a route...
I agree. The Nav works at least as good as any other vehicle I've owned (even though it sometimes talks too much). Voice recognition has been flawless for me every time I've used it. Handwriting recognition is a bit iffy but then I've not really tried to learn to use it because there's been no need to use it. I'd like to see an option for zooming while in navigation mode but there is a work around for that so not really a big deal.

There is a way to 'kind of' control routing - options are time, distance, or blended. See page 33 of the navigation manual.
You can also set route preferences - page 34 of the navigation manual.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:42 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
I agree. The Nav works at least as good as any other vehicle I've owned (even though it sometimes talks too much). Voice recognition has been flawless for me every time I've used it. Handwriting recognition is a bit iffy but then I've not really tried to learn to use it because there's been no need to use it. I'd like to see an option for zooming while in navigation mode but there is a work around for that so not really a big deal.

There is a way to 'kind of' control routing - options are time, distance, or blended. See page 33 of the navigation manual.
You can also set route preferences - page 34 of the navigation manual.
Fiddling around with settings inside menus is almost the definition of driver distraction.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:25 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I haven't tried the new RDX navigation but the navigation in my TLX sucks. Earlier I rented a new BMW with their latest generation Nav. It was awesome. The voice recognition was fantastic. I was driving from Erie PA to a cemetary in a small town of less than 500 people in central PA. It found the cemetery the first time by voice recognition. And the directions were spot on, even the real time traffic updates along the way. I was never more impressed with a car navigation system. We had the car for 4 days and never had to manually enter an address in the system and we used it all the time. If the new Acura system is that good, it would be a huge plus for Acura for me.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wander
Fiddling around with settings inside menus is almost the definition of driver distraction.
Only if you do it while driving.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
...We had the car for 4 days and never had to manually enter an address in the system and we used it all the time. If the new Acura system is that good, it would be a huge plus for Acura for me.
So far that's been my experience with the RDX. The only time I've actually entered an address (either by 'keying' or speaking) is when I was playing with or learning the system. In every instance where I tried giving a destination by name it was successful. The last time it was to a small 'mom and pop' restaurant in a village of less than 3,000 people ("Maria's Place in Almont, MI" if you want to try it). Took a bit of time to search the data base but it was spot on once it was found.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:52 AM
Racer

My experience, too. Between the voice recognition and the send to feature in the app, I’ve never had to manually use the nav to enter an address. And using the send to feature only when the car is on is no big deal to me. I can save several destinations ahead of time for a trip as favorites in the app, then it’s just a few seconds to use the app when I get in to send it to the car.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
"I can't mute or unmute the spoken directions". You can mute the volume of the spoken directions by choosing the menu option on the nav screen and then choose guidance volume. All the way to the left mutes. Also, when the voice guidance is speaking, a quick turn of the infotainment volume knob will control the sound turning it down so low you can't hear it. Page 35 of the nav manual.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had similar issues; the voice recognition is great, but I have noticed that the navigation cannot find some destinations that I know have been around for a while. It couldn't find a few parks that I was going to...Now that I think of it, I think the only locations I got a "destination not found" for were parks...
Old 10-15-2018, 09:33 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fodder
"I can't mute or unmute the spoken directions". You can mute the volume of the spoken directions by choosing the menu option on the nav screen and then choose guidance volume. All the way to the left mutes. Also, when the voice guidance is speaking, a quick turn of the infotainment volume knob will control the sound turning it down so low you can't hear it. Page 35 of the nav manual.
This is a poor work around in practice. I know what the manual says, and read it before I bought the car. If I use Google maps or Waze, I can click to mute or unmute. To mess around with sound levels of the nav, I have to catch it while it is talking. To me, that is unacceptable.

I knew the limitations going in, so I am not lamenting that I didn’t know, only that it makes the Nav useless to me other than as a scrolling map. So when I must navigate, it is through Carplay.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 10-15-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:18 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
So, can I get a show of hands for people who use the cars navigation instead of your phone? I always mess with the sales guys by making them input the address of their dealer to see how long it takes them. Try it and see how clumsy it is compared to the smart phones.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:46 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ChrisBesu
So, can I get a show of hands for people who use the cars navigation instead of your phone? I always mess with the sales guys by making them input the address of their dealer to see how long it takes them. Try it and see how clumsy it is compared to the smart phones.
That was my point earlier, between the voice recognition and the app, I never manually enter a destination using the touchpad. It’s really not clumsy compared to using carplay. Yes, you have the “send to car” step if using the app, but that’s not any longer than plugging in you phone, opening carplay, then selecting a nav app.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:43 PM
Drifting

That was my point earlier, between the voice recognition and the app, I never manually enter a destination using the touchpad. It’s really not clumsy compared to using carplay. Yes, you have the “send to car” step if using the app, but that’s not any longer than plugging in you phone, opening carplay, then selecting a nav app.

How did you get 'send to car' to work? I have all the two-way app->car functionality, but when the app sends a destination to the car, it never arrives. If I re-send it while sitting there with the car running it does, but otherwise no.

What did you do? Did you go to the dealer?
Old 10-15-2018, 03:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
How did you get 'send to car' to work? I have all the two-way app->car functionality, but when the app sends a destination to the car, it never arrives. If I re-send it while sitting there with the car running it does, but otherwise no.

What did you do? Did you go to the dealer?
Like your experience, it just works with the nav system on. I will save destinations in the app as favorites, then when I get in the car it’s just a few taps to send to the nav. I wonder if it’s a nav or app issue. Realistically, if the nav is off in the car, can it recieve a send to request? Like some other features in the app, e.g. tire pressure, they only get updated when your phone connects to your car through Bluetooth. Yet some other features, like remote start, will work with the car off, so there is some level of remote communication when the car is off. Maybe the nav can’t recieve a remote signal when off but the app just isn’t smart enough to know if the car nav is on or not when you use the send function.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:37 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Like your experience, it just works with the nav system on. I will save destinations in the app as favorites, then when I get in the car it’s just a few taps to send to the nav. I wonder if it’s a nav or app issue. Realistically, if the nav is off in the car, can it recieve a send to request? Like some other features in the app, e.g. tire pressure, they only get updated when your phone connects to your car through Bluetooth. Yet some other features, like remote start, will work with the car off, so there is some level of remote communication when the car is off. Maybe the nav can’t recieve a remote signal when off but the app just isn’t smart enough to know if the car nav is on or not when you use the send function.
Tire pressure can be updated at any time by hitting the refresh on Status page. It takes it. Few minutes, but it does update.

Billy
Old 10-15-2018, 03:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by billyt1963

Tire pressure can be updated at any time by hitting the refresh on Status page. It takes it. Few minutes, but it does update.

Billy
Strange, mine always says it will update the next time my phone is connected to my car.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:58 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Strange, mine always says it will update the next time my phone is connected to my car.
I have an iPhone. Not sure if that is the difference or not.

Billy
Old 10-15-2018, 05:11 PM
Drifting

I can get all that other data updated from my house with the car off, I can lock and unlock, and get the status of tire pressure simply by using the app and going to ‘status’ and hitting the blue counterclockwise arrow to the right. It updates status.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:24 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by billyt1963

I have an iPhone. Not sure if that is the difference or not.

Billy
iPhone and iPad here too.

I allowed the app to access my calendar, and since I put the address of appointments in the calendar, it should let me send it from the car. Will try tomorrow.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I can't send an address to the car from my phone. It says it is sending it, then it says it was sent, but when I get to the car it is not there. If I re-send it while the car has started up, it does show up. I am not happy that I can't mute or unmute the spoken directions, or effectively change the scale on a route.

Acura just sucks at integrating Send To Car with their App,or ecpven Google Maps.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:32 PM
Drifting

I wonder if you have an AcuraLink signal. There is an icon on the infotainment display that indicates signal strength. The "L" gets an extra line for each "bar" of signal.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:22 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
My biggest complaints are that it left me 10 blocks from Wrigley Field, will route through areas that are closed (unlike Google Maps or Waze), traffic indication is just a red or yellow line on the highway and is hard to understand what kind of delay you are in for and the lack of the actual exit signs for following a route. I don't think that is too much to ask for
Old 10-17-2018, 06:12 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I am disappointed that the RDX Navigation System does not give a choice of "Routes" to your destination. Other than that I have not had any issues with it.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Meto
My biggest complaints are that it left me 10 blocks from Wrigley Field, will route through areas that are closed (unlike Google Maps or Waze), traffic indication is just a red or yellow line on the highway and is hard to understand what kind of delay you are in for and the lack of the actual exit signs for following a route. I don't think that is too much to ask for
Any Navi that does not have real time updates will do the same thing, the data is only as good as the last update nd then it took them time to get the update ready. I would not be surprised if Navi maps were 12 months out of date.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:11 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by KeithL
Any Navi that does not have real time updates will do the same thing, the data is only as good as the last update nd then it took them time to get the update ready. I would not be surprised if Navi maps were 12 months out of date.
Wrigley Field opened in 1914. AFAIK it hasn't relocated, but the original carriage roads may have been revised a few times.

Roads closed due to construction or calamity "should" get flagged in the live traffic system; that's a different issue.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:49 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wander
Wrigley Field opened in 1914. AFAIK it hasn't relocated, but the original carriage roads may have been revised a few times.

Roads closed due to construction or calamity "should" get flagged in the live traffic system; that's a different issue.
As an experiment, I sought directions on how to get to Carnegie Hall.

It said, “Practice. Practice. Practice.”

Which is a venue even older than Wrigley Field. And the Nav should have been able to find both of them.

Now, if it searched for any number of famed locations whose name changes every other year based on which corporation is paying for the name, that’s one thing. But Wrigley Field?