Navigation map scale stays at ¼ mile

Old 07-07-2018, 10:43 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Navigation map scale stays at ¼ mile

Has anyone figured out how to change the scale of the map from the system default of ¼ mile?

Only in “Explore” is there a + or - for zooming in or out. Once you exit Explore it goes right back to ¼ mile. If you stay in Explore mode it will not track your car position, so that’s not an option.

D
Old 07-07-2018, 11:37 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
I have not figured it out either, but I think it can't be figured out. That's the way it is. Pretty much sucks. I've had a NAVI since my 1999 TL and everyone from then 'till before this one I could zoom and run, or pull back and run, without issue.

This is a standard feature on every NAVI I've ever seen - until this one. There should at least be a setting in SYSTEM SETUP when you set your preferred zoom level.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:50 AM
10th Gear

Here's hoping that they push a software update to the 2019 RDXs to fix this issue.

D
Old 07-07-2018, 04:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Was wondering if this issue also exists while using Maps in Apple CarPlay?
The following users liked this post:
Madd Dog (07-07-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 04:39 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
I wouldn't really call this an issue, more like a preference. I always keep it on the closest zoom setting. Anything further out can lack details and street names.

Great thing about the OTA updates is that things like this can be easily changed and updated based on customer feedback.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:09 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by MTD
I wouldn't really call this an issue, more like a preference. I always keep it on the closest zoom setting. Anything further out can lack details and street names.

Great thing about the OTA updates is that things like this can be easily changed and updated based on customer feedback.
I call it an issue. I should have the ability to set the zoom level I want. If my 10 1/2 year old car can do it, a brand new car should too. Also, if I want to mute verbal direction for part of a trip and only turn it on at the end, I should be able to mute and unmute on demand, not try to mess with the volume each time. I can do this with my old system, and with free Nav apps. An in-car Nav starts with worse usability than a free app? Really?

Like Akari, I too am interested how much usability from Apple Maps comes through in Car Play.
37tzee (08-27-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 06:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Seems like precision cockpit teething problems. This is the first gen of,their new cockpit I expect it to evolve over the next few models and MMCs
Old 07-07-2018, 06:52 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Like Akari, I too am interested how much usability from Apple Maps comes through in Car Play.
It's quite limited compared to the native iOS version of Apple Maps. I'm an Apple guy, since the mid-80's, but I wouldn't suggest running out and buying an iPhone to use CarPlay on this vehicle.

I don't expect much to change until Apple adds native support to CarPlay for the "absolute positioning touchpad".

As for "evolution" of the precision cockpit, current market expectations are driven by the smartphone software update cycle. Failure to address that may result in rapid extinction.

In other words, Acura better get some updates out in a timely manner. It has already been announced that Android Auto will be added via software update to the 2019 RDX head unit. And Google Maps and Waze are supposed to be supported in CarPlay with the release of iOS 12 this fall. I got impatient and installed the public beta of iOS 12 to check it out, but it looks like support also needs to be added at the vehicle end. Oh well. I hate waiting.

I wonder where we can provide "feedback"?
Old 07-07-2018, 07:36 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Yikes! I thought an update on the IOS end would translate to the car and CarPlay would mirror it to the screen.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:43 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
iOS 12 is in the early beta, many times they add features as the go along. Maybe one of the later version will fix the problem with Waze and Google Maps.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:50 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by billyt1963
iOS 12 is in the early beta, many times they add features as the go along. Maybe one of the later version will fix the problem with Waze and Google Maps.
That's possible. Guess we'll have to wait and see. But the iOS 12 beta broke some other things I use, so I'm no longer a guinea pig.

( I brazenly ignored all the sage advice about NOT installing the beta on my primary device. )
Old 07-07-2018, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
Waze and Google won’t update for CarPlay until after iOS 12 is officially released in September
Old 07-07-2018, 09:34 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mcrompton
Waze and Google won’t update for CarPlay until after iOS 12 is officially released in September
And they better work with the RDX...
Old 07-07-2018, 09:41 PM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Fury63

And they better work with the RDX...
They will. As long as a car supports CarPlay it will get all new CarPlay features.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:51 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mcrompton

They will. As long as a car supports CarPlay it will get all new CarPlay features.
I wonder if tapping and pinch and zoom works on the touchpad for CarPlay Nav.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:31 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I wonder if tapping and pinch and zoom works on the touchpad for CarPlay Nav.
Sadly, no. I haven't been able to get any gestures to work. When I tap on the map, a set of soft buttons appears, + and - for zoom, and arrows for scrolling the map.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:50 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wander
Sadly, no. I haven't been able to get any gestures to work. When I tap on the map, a set of soft buttons appears, + and - for zoom, and arrows for scrolling the map.
Can you hit the + and - with the touchpad? And will it stay at that zoom level?
Old 07-08-2018, 09:36 AM
Drifting

Yes. Apple Maps stays at the zoom level selected, and stays centered on vehicle position. I think it auto zooms when there is a route set.

But I haven't used this much because I haven't done any road trips with the new vehicle and my daily travels are on roads that are boringly familiar.

Apple Maps ( via CarPlay ) can occupy the main portion of the display, and turn-by-turn directions will be piped through the audio, but the MID and HUD won't display turns, just the primary display. The secondary displays just indicate that CarPlay is active. Presumably this reflects a lack of software support somewhere in the system. Also, as CarPlay has currently been implemented on 2019 RDX, the trackpad functions like a laptop trackpad ( but without gestures ), not like the "absolute positioning" trackpad, so switching back and forth between trackpad modes is a bit of a brain twister. I suspect ( hope ) this will be corrected in future software updates.

BTW, once I squinted at the screen a bit more, I realized that there is a compass on the display for the factory Nav in "track-up" view mode. It's the little "compass" icon on the left that lets you toggle between view modes. If you look close enough, the compass hand moves to indicate North. But that's really putting my bifocals to the test.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wander:
Akari (07-10-2018), Madd Dog (07-08-2018), Shironeko (07-09-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 08:58 PM
Racer

Your mission, if you choose to accept it....

OK, since I don't have my car yet the brilliant owners on this web site need to help figure this out. In the NAVI set up manual on this site, one of the steps is to set the map scale to 1/20. Everything that I have read so far indicates this is not possible. It seems like it is.

This tape will self-destruct in 5, 4, 3......

Billy
Old 07-11-2018, 09:02 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
I had the NAVI in 3D mode, scale was 1/4 mile, but when I entered a city with a rather large Highway interchange, it changed on its own to 3/8 mile!
It then went back to 1/4 mile scale.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 07-12-2018, 12:06 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by billyt1963
Your mission, if you choose to accept it....

OK, since I don't have my car yet the brilliant owners on this web site need to help figure this out. In the NAVI set up manual on this site, one of the steps is to set the map scale to 1/20. Everything that I have read so far indicates this is not possible. It seems like it is.

This tape will self-destruct in 5, 4, 3......

Billy
I think you're referring to the TQI of the Nav, which is in a TSB.

I had to think about it, but I think it will work in "Explore mode". Any zoom level can be selected in "Explore mode", and the vehicle position will be continuously updated on the map. ( But the map will not remain centered on the vehicle position unless you manually reset it with the "center" soft button ). But it's not clear to me that entering "Explore mode" is what is intended for this test, since it's not mentioned.
  1. "3.7. Drive the vehicle at least a half-mile from your dealership, and find a safe place to park. Then, set the map scale to 1/20.

• Make sure the vehicle position (VP) icon moves smoothly as you drive and does not jerk from one point to another. Also, make sure the icon points in the direction the vehicle is traveling; it should not dog track or spin.

• After driving a few hundred feet, you should see the name of the road you are driving on at the bottom of the screen. The system is now map-matched."
Old 07-12-2018, 03:41 AM
Racer

That is what I was talking about. I am hoping there is a way to change the zoom that hasn’t been found yet.

Billy
Old 07-12-2018, 09:00 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Half the country roads that I travel on would disappear at 1/4 scale. I mostly use 1/8 going to 1/20 off and on.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:48 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by R. White
Half the country roads that I travel on would disappear at 1/4 scale. I mostly use 1/8 going to 1/20 off and on.

while I, OTOH, live in the NY Metro area, and I like to zoom out and see which way the nav is taking me, and do I want to go that way, sometimes just to maybe save 2 minutes. When I road trip, I like to look further ahead than this nav allows.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:02 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by R. White
I travel paved WI country roads every day, and they appear on the Nav at 1/4 mile scale. There is a setting for "map detail". Dunno about Forest Service roads, sadly. Maybe sometime soon. Also dunno about gravel roads, as are common in MN and IA even up to the county highway level. Those are sometimes given lower "priority" for display on Nav systems.

I have mentioned that the Nav is optimized for "Track-Up 3D" view mode, which is the factory default. This is partly because of the screen aspect ratio. The screen is much wider than it is tall. In the 3D mode, you are viewing the earth at a shallow angle, so more roads appear "ahead" than would be the case in a 2D projection.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
I was playing a bit with the NAV this morning and found a bit of a work-around for the zoom issue. See: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-.../#post16287319
Old 09-11-2018, 04:10 PM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by djnewlin
Has anyone figured out how to change the scale of the map from the system default of ¼ mile?

Only in “Explore” is there a + or - for zooming in or out. Once you exit Explore it goes right back to ¼ mile. If you stay in Explore mode it will not track your car position, so that’s not an option.

D
Well, after going thru this entire thread, and spending a couple hours trying to change the zoom level automatically, I'm almost certain Acura has a bunch of "boneheads" programming their new vehicles... assuming we want to look at a navigation map a .25 / one quarter of a mile - with NO way to zoom out permanently... obviously the programmers and program managers are from some place where they don't have navigation systems... what a poor excuse for a Nav system. And try using that touch pad to enter an address... get a clue. Useless.
Pearl77 (09-17-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 04:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Michael Foster
...And try using that touch pad to enter an address... get a clue. Useless.
Use the keypad option - no more difficult than using the virtual keypad on your phone.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:06 PM
Drifting

Yeah, the "handwritten" character recognition is a joke. But the virtual keyboard works and voice recognition works.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I’m surprised that nobody is complaining about how inaccurate navigation it self is. I recently traveled from Vermont to Virginia and let’s just say, l em so glad I took my portable 2 y old, freshly updated 6” Garmin GPS. I was using both of them the whole trip to compare (plus google maps sometimes), and I can not express how disappointing Acura’s navigation was. I also used it locally to find some address and it did get me there, but on the other side of woods in some different neighborhood at the dead end, where I would have to walk through the woods for 10 min to get to destination, instead of navigating around in to the right street, as the google maps did in 5 min, when I switched. I did check all the settings and they’re adjusted the way they should be for general navigation.
I was wondering if anyone experienced anything similar.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jopa
I’m surprised that nobody is complaining about how inaccurate navigation it self is. I recently traveled from Vermont to Virginia and let’s just say, l em so glad I took my portable 2 y old, freshly updated 6” Garmin GPS. I was using both of them the whole trip to compare (plus google maps sometimes), and I can not express how disappointing Acura’s navigation was. I also used it locally to find some address and it did get me there, but on the other side of woods in some different neighborhood at the dead end, where I would have to walk through the woods for 10 min to get to destination, instead of navigating around in to the right street, as the google maps did in 5 min, when I switched. I did check all the settings and they’re adjusted the way they should be for general navigation.
I was wondering if anyone experienced anything similar.
The only 'problem' I've had similar to that is when I inadvertently entered the wrong POI destination (200 miles away in a different direction) and it took me about 15 miles of cussing at the system before I realized what I did.
robuckj (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 07:58 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I've got to believe the map scale issue is an oversight that will be corrected soon. The wife said she would have taken back the car if we would have bought one because of this! I love the new RDX, but if this isn't corrected, we'll be getting an MDX next year.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Everyone has their own issues, and I understand that, but please help me understand why this scaling issue is such a big issue for some that you'd get rid of a car over it or wouldn't have bought it if you knew this was the case??? I like to adjust my scale too, at times, but I can live with it just the way it is. In addition, I also recognize that this is simply a software issue and can be corrected should Acura desire to do so.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:53 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by securityguy
Everyone has their own issues, and I understand that, but please help me understand why this scaling issue is such a big issue for some that you'd get rid of a car over it or wouldn't have bought it if you knew this was the case??? I like to adjust my scale too, at times, but I can live with it just the way it is. In addition, I also recognize that this is simply a software issue and can be corrected should Acura desire to do so.
Great question!

In my wife's case, we were transferred to Houston and the nav map was invaluable for knowing where you were/where you were going. We didn't live there long enough to learn all the streets and highways. Have since moved to Florida, and it's a whole new learning experience. Being able to drill down to 1/20 scale is her preference.

On the highway, I prefer at least 5 miles so I know where I am in relation to the next major city along the way.

First world, 1%er problems? Sure. However, there are plenty of alternatives to an RDX that don't have this "unique" problem. I had a Mercedes Benz GLA with the Becker add-on nav and it was a totally useless piece of sh#t that was a leading factor in me dumping that car. It's replacement, an Audi, has the best nav/infotainment system I've ever had on a car, and thus has set a benchmark for our next car.

We all get used to and value certain features in our cars, and don't expect to take a step backwards. The new RDX is a great car, but Acura screwed the pooch on this important feature f the nav system. Hopefully, this will get corrected soon, at least for the 2020 models. If not, like I said, we'll be getting an MDX with the "old" system.
The following 2 users liked this post by 37tzee:
robuckj (09-19-2018), securityguy (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 01:59 PM
Drifting

I am not pleased either with the way the Acura nav works, and would much prefer the way the BMW iDrive works. But you pays your money and you takes your choice, and for a slew of reasons, I chose the RDX, and I have no regerts, or regrets, even.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:35 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by 37tzee
Great question!

In my wife's case, we were transferred to Houston and the nav map was invaluable for knowing where you were/where you were going. We didn't live there long enough to learn all the streets and highways. Have since moved to Florida, and it's a whole new learning experience. Being able to drill down to 1/20 scale is her preference.

On the highway, I prefer at least 5 miles so I know where I am in relation to the next major city along the way.

First world, 1%er problems? Sure. However, there are plenty of alternatives to an RDX that don't have this "unique" problem. I had a Mercedes Benz GLA with the Becker add-on nav and it was a totally useless piece of sh#t that was a leading factor in me dumping that car. It's replacement, an Audi, has the best nav/infotainment system I've ever had on a car, and thus has set a benchmark for our next car.

We all get used to and value certain features in our cars, and don't expect to take a step backwards. The new RDX is a great car, but Acura screwed the pooch on this important feature f the nav system. Hopefully, this will get corrected soon, at least for the 2020 models. If not, like I said, we'll be getting an MDX with the "old" system.
ok let me help you here. There are really 2 roads in Florida, 95 for north and south and 75 for east and west 😂

besides that, they out these large green obstructions along the highway that block your view of the Everglades, but conveniently they put the distance to the next major city. It’s like they thought that might help us or something!??!

i kid of course
Old 09-19-2018, 09:03 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 37tzee
NO!!!! Don't do it!

Let me talk you back from the edge here. We love our 2014 MDX except for the hopelessly out-of-date Nav and infotainment system. It has seen some incremental improvement, but it's still the glaring weak spot of that vehicle, IMO. There are lots of good reasons to get an MDX, but this is absolutely not one of them.

I cling to the hope and expectation that many of the issues with the Nav in 2019 RDX will be resolved with a software update, hopefully in the not-too-distant future. It's almost certain that the MDX will incorporate some rendition of the new Nav / infotainment system along with its next redesign.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wander:
37tzee (09-20-2018), securityguy (09-20-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 05:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
So I was watching TV and saw a commercial for an RDX. They quickly showed, while it was being driven, the map on the screen and the driver "pinching" the touch pad like a smart phone and the map zoomed in. I thought...holy $hit...I need to go out to the car and try this...could this be that easy and we didn't know??? Well, it clearly did not work as I tried to both pinch and expand and nothing. The hopeful news is that a software update will add this functionality as they did show exactly this in the commercial I saw so all hope is not lost!
Wander (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 09:01 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by securityguy
I live in a large metro area. I often use my nav even if I know how to get to where I'm going because it may not be the best way - the nav may know better. But I always look at how the nav is taking me because there are times that after looking I know that I know better....or I may have a different preference for the first portion of the trip and then need to rely on the nav for the later part that I'm less familiar with. Without being able to zoom out and view the entire route, at least to begin with, I can't determine what I want to do. The same applies to road trips. I may have a general preference in which route I take even if I don't know the entire route in detail. I need to look at the big picture at least to begin with. I may very well set the nav, start out in a direction it doesn't choose and let it recalculate to 'catch up' with my preference of route.

My wife and I were waiting to purchase a '19 RDX because we like the brand (currently own an Acura) and couldn't find another similar vehicle we thought we'd like better. But we're back to the drawing board due to this nav issue as well as the lack of Android Auto support. I'm not spending nearly 50K on a vehicle that can't handle the basics of navigation which I use all the time. It would be a constant irritant and I'm not that in love with the vehicle. Acura either needs to make some (public) commitment to getting this fixed or we're on to another vehicle. As a matter of fact we're heading out tomorrow to look at two other options.
37tzee (10-12-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 11:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mmhouse
...I often use my nav even if I know how to get to where I'm going because it may not be the best way - the nav may know better. But I always look at how the nav is taking me because there are times that after looking I know that I know better....or I may have a different preference for the first portion of the trip and then need to rely on the nav for the later part that I'm less familiar with. Without being able to zoom out and view the entire route, at least to begin with, I can't determine what I want to do. The same applies to road trips. I may have a general preference in which route I take even if I don't know the entire route in detail. I need to look at the big picture at least to begin with. I may very well set the nav, start out in a direction it doesn't choose and let it recalculate to 'catch up' with my preference of route....
You can do all that by going into 'Explore' mode and zooming in/out as you wish, when done a click on the 'back' button gets you back to the normal NAV window.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation map scale stays at ¼ mile