Navigation distance misleading

Old 07-19-2019, 09:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Navigation distance misleading

The built in map seems to initially calculate the distance to a POI or destination from current location as a straight line (as the crow flies) distance. Only when you start to drive, it maps out the roads that will be taken and gets the correct driving distance. I've been misled multiple times into getting a response that a POI x is within, say 2 miles, only to realize after I click to navigate to that POI that the actual drive is nearly double that. Something's wrong here. Has anybody else observed this?
Old 07-20-2019, 06:10 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most GPS programs work that way.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by desmedt
Most GPS programs work that way.
I am pretty sure that my system in my TL does not do this. It gives me the road distance immediately. My wife's Toyota does the same.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:15 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts
Yeah most GPS systems do that. It will first show a line-of-sight distance, then once you begin navigation it will calculate the actual distance. I never understood why.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:40 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
No, the nav kinda sucks. Turn by turn prompts are not timed well, traffic warnings aren't very good, etc. Just glad I don't rely on it very much.

Is there a way to display elevation? I like that when I'm going through mountains and hills. Every other GPS I've seen has elevation.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:22 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh

Is there a way to display elevation? I like that when I'm going through mountains and hills. Every other GPS I've seen has elevation.
I'd like to know this as well, I haven't been able to find it anywhere. One previous vehicle, (don't recall which) it was there but only visible in a special mode (programmer's mode?) Current Gen CR-V has a easily reached setting to show it.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:03 PM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
I'd like to know this as well, I haven't been able to find it anywhere. One previous vehicle, (don't recall which) it was there but only visible in a special mode (programmer's mode?) Current Gen CR-V has a easily reached setting to show it.
Did a search in the NAV manual and "elevation" doesn't appear. This is my first car with built in GPS/navigation but I've owned three Garmins and they all displayed it prominently by default. This is why I was never willing to pay extra for an optional navigation system in previous cars: if the system sucks, there's nothing I can do about it. And I was right. What can I do now? Mount my 5 year old Garmin Nuvi to the windshield? If I take a long, over-the-road trip, I just might.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:06 AM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
Did a search in the NAV manual and "elevation" doesn't appear. This is my first car with built in GPS/navigation but I've owned three Garmins and they all displayed it prominently by default. This is why I was never willing to pay extra for an optional navigation system in previous cars: if the system sucks, there's nothing I can do about it. And I was right. What can I do now? Mount my 5 year old Garmin Nuvi to the windshield? If I take a long, over-the-road trip, I just might.
Out of curiosity, why is elevation so important to you?

I would agree that I've never been into having a built-in navigation system in a car before, but mostly because of the issue of updates. There are constantly changes in roadways, from new developments to even alterations in major highways and I always question how rapidly built-in navigation systems are updated, both the actual maps and the fact that you have to go in to get the update. (I don't know if they can do over-the-air updates these days. I know there's a Wi-Fi option for System Update, but my understanding is you have be using a dealer Wi-Fi? Not sure.) I do think that some of the dedicated GPS units were fairly sophisticated and attractive graphically. Towards the end of their lifecycle, they were even showing semi-3D renderings of roadways, which is pretty impressive. The problem is that they basically turned obsolete with smartphone navigation (which I have never used before and probably never will). I'd have to check to see if companies like Garmin are even putting out new units at this point. They may possibly still be servicing their unit maps, but even that is sort of questionable.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:51 AM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by DriverOne
Out of curiosity, why is elevation so important to you?
I wouldn't say it's important or even necessary. But it's information that's inherent in the GPS data that they decided to leave out. And as I said, I like to observe my changes in elevation as I drive through mountains. I just find it interesting even if I can't justify it.

I don't rely on the nav system very much; never have. But this system just isn't very good. I don't even like the color scheme. Too subdued. I'd prefer a more traditional, high-contrast map display. Maybe they'll add other color schemes in a future update.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:55 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Um No.. The navigation never gets the distance right in mine. I work 42 miles away from where I live and it always says 25 miles whether I leave my house or go from work to home. My Sonata gets it right... Stop making excuses for a crappy nav system
Old 07-24-2019, 02:00 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts
I only major gripe with the navigation is that it doesn't handle arrival to businesses or apartments with large parking lots well. I will arrive at the destination but the nav placed the pin in the back of the parking lot so unless I drove to where that pin dropped, it asks if I want to continue navigation next time I turn on my car. Google Maps, Waze, Apple Maps, my previous Tucson never have trouble with this.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Meto
My Sonata gets it right... Stop making excuses for a crappy nav system
Your Sonata also sucks in every way imaginable.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:27 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^pretty uncalled for.

You're already on a short leash, don't make it any shorter.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mustachio
I only major gripe with the navigation is that it doesn't handle arrival to businesses or apartments with large parking lots well. I will arrive at the destination but the nav placed the pin in the back of the parking lot so unless I drove to where that pin dropped, it asks if I want to continue navigation next time I turn on my car. Google Maps, Waze, Apple Maps, my previous Tucson never have trouble with this.
I have noticed this as well as my parking lot at work is also pretty large
Old 07-24-2019, 09:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by justnspace
^pretty uncalled for.

You're already on a short leash, don't make it any shorter.
What's wrong, it's a comment directed to a car. If he likes his Sonata so much, then he should have bought another Sonata. Instead, it's like every thread he's there talking about how the RDX is garbage and defective and then drops a comment about how he's going to get rid of it.

Just like he's able to make an assessment of the RDX, I should be able to make an assessment of the Sonata. It's simply an opinion.

Last edited by DriverOne; 07-24-2019 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DriverOne
What's wrong, it's a comment directed to a car. If he likes his Sonata so much, then he should have bought another Sonata. Instead, it's like every thread he's there talking about how the RDX is garbage and defective and then drops a comment about how he's going to get rid of it.

Just like he's able to make an assessment of the RDX, I should be able to make an assessment of the Sonata. It's simply an opinion.
The difference is I am telling the truth while you are attacking a solid vehicle that you have never driven or owned. Big difference....
The following 3 users liked this post by Meto:
04WDPSeDaN (07-25-2019), justnspace (07-25-2019), Madd Dog (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 04:46 AM

We get it DriverOne, you're a brand snob.
Driving a Sonata doesn't make any one less of a person. Or tell how much wealth one has.
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
04WDPSeDaN (07-25-2019), Madd Dog (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 06:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by justnspace
We get it DriverOne, you're a brand snob.
Driving a Sonata doesn't make any one less of a person. Or tell how much wealth one has.
That's actually just you making a wild claim based on your dislike of my politics and then stereotyping me. In fact, many people on this forum say that Acura isn't even considered a premium brand, so how could I be a "brand snob" by liking Acura? And clearly the point went over your head even after I explained it, since I don't actually care about the Sonata at all. Prior to this one singular post, I've never mentioned the Sonata. I also never stated that "driving a Sonata" (or any car, including the RDX) reflects in any way on you as a person. Also, since I've constantly and repeatedly stated that one of the things I like about the RDX is that it gives huge value even though it is not class-leading on many things, it would be weird for me to be saying that it somehow reflects someone's wealth. Or if you meant to say that I claimed that "how much wealth someone has makes someone a better person," then that's DEFINITELY just your prejudices showing through. I defy you to show any post where I've ever discussed someone's money in any way, good or bad. Finally, I can't be a "brand snob" if this is the first Acura I've ever owned, which I've said before. I've stated multiple times that I like Hondas, and surely you're not going to claim that being a Honda fan makes me a "brand snob."
Old 07-25-2019, 06:49 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Driverone,

If you can please provide me where on the user guidelines / rules does it state, to be registered to Acurazine you must OWN and ONLY own Acura. You MUST and ONLY discuss Acura and it will NOT be in a negative tone. The thing you don't understand is, this is a public enthusiast website. Many of the registered members here at one point did have Acura's. Many have still own Acura and own other brands. There are many here that just signed up for other reasons. The point of being a TRUE car enthusiast and not a typical Acura Fan boy, is one that embraces car culture. I get it, you hate anything else other than Acura and even then, its RDX or nothing. You came here, you contribute next to nothing but a ton of bullshit, you're not a real car enthusiast, you can't hold a conversation unless it's in your favor of delirium, you attack members and moderators so honestly brotha, why the fuck are you here? Just join a RDX facebook group. Members that have been here for 10+ years that contributed and helped out members here on Acurazine is the reason why Acurazine is a great enthusiast site. Welcome to 2019 where you enter in and everything else keeps going to shit. Every thread you post in has turned into fucking garbage. Seriously.. time to logout and keep it moving somewhere else.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Driverone,

If you can please provide me where on the user guidelines / rules does it state, to be registered to Acurazine you must OWN and ONLY own Acura. You MUST and ONLY discuss Acura and it will NOT be in a negative tone. The thing you don't understand is, this is a public enthusiast website. Many of the registered members here at one point did have Acura's. Many have still own Acura and own other brands. There are many here that just signed up for other reasons. The point of being a TRUE car enthusiast and not a typical Acura Fan boy, is one that embraces car culture. I get it, you hate anything else other than Acura and even then, its RDX or nothing. You came here, you contribute next to nothing but a ton of bullshit, you're not a real car enthusiast, you can't hold a conversation unless it's in your favor of delirium, you attack members and moderators so honestly brotha, why the fuck are you here? Just join a RDX facebook group. Members that have been here for 10+ years that contributed and helped out members here on Acurazine is the reason why Acurazine is a great enthusiast site. Welcome to 2019 where you enter in and everything else keeps going to shit. Every thread you post in has turned into fucking garbage. Seriously.. time to logout and keep it moving somewhere else.
It doesn't state that anywhere. Neither does it state that I can't make fun of the Sonata, but I apparently can't. If I "hated anything else other than Acura," then I a) wouldn't like Hondas and b) wouldn't have said that there are better cars that you can buy than an RDX, as long as you want to pay more. In fact, you're doing what justnspace did, which is react to me with a bias. If I did what Meto does, which is go to the majority of threads and just post negatively on the Acura, you would also tell me to leave. I can guarantee it. He thinks the parts are inferior and defective, the build is bad, that the sound system is sub-par, that the interior is garbage, that the ride quality stinks, that the dealers are a bad experience, that the company is negligent. OK, great. And every thread is "I can't wait until I get rid of mine." So he's literally just here to post about how much he hates the RDX. Is that "enthusiast"?

The only reason "every thread I post in has turned into fucking garbage" is because people like you and justnspace turn it into garbage. Want proof? In both threads, I made one sentence remarks and then you guys charge in to post 500 times at me. Then you claim that I turned the thread into garbage, apparently because you're supposed to be able to say something idiotic to me without a reply. Oh, and if justnspace bans me for saying that you wrote something idiotic, that's far less than anything you guys have done, where you repeatedly will tell me to leave and say that everyone hates me and that everything I write is garbage, which is apparently also fine to do.

Last edited by DriverOne; 07-25-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:25 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I've owned and worked on many different vehicles in my life and guess what, I speak from experience when I make certain statements. Every vehicle I've owned, I worked on, I modified and have done a ton of my own research on the vehicle. Down to stupid things like engine specifications, long term reliability, known dealership issues, wiring diagrams, drive terrain setups, performance modifications, reading countless posts made by owners, ect. Most of your car buyers only know the basics. I own a blah blah blah and it gets blah blah blah and it makes blah blah blah. 90% of them can't tell you the engine code or compression ratio or anything specific. That's the biggest difference between an educated car enthusiast that learns something about every manufacture and a fanboy who is hell bent on one brand and still doesn't even know 10% of the entire division. If I was to ask you why does my TL have xyz issue, you wouldn't know what to tell me. But If I said my wife's Optima has been more reliable than my Mercedes, you would have quite the shit storm of an insulting response to me. Nothing of which can be backed up with FACTS only from the fact you hate it so you feel the need to address it. That my friend is what you're not understanding. Yes I own a KIA product and for what it is worth, it has been reliable and with 64K it hasn't given me anything I would really bitch about. Yes they have their issues and KIA has stepped up to recall every single fuck up. Not so much so with my previous Mercedes ML and my current TL. I can make statements like this is my last Mercedes or my last KIA because of personal experiences with the vehicles. Not only owning but actually working on them. Til you actually work on these cars, you will never understand why others say I would rather drive a kia than a land rover. You just don't get it. You don't take the time to understand anything about your personal vehicle or any other vehicle. I'm glad you know what the brochure says, but I could care less about that. Can you work on your own vehicle? Have you ever worked on anything before? Probably not. So, understand why I call you a non enthusiast, fanboy. If you follow every single thread you posted in, here and in ramblings, you have turned every thread into fucking garbage. I've been here since jan. 2007, please go back and tell me how many times I caused issues on Acurazine, you know what the truth is, your short time here has caused my issues than I have ever caused in 12 years being here. You don't contribute to anything other than total bullshit. You don't help out members, you don't provide any support, so understand why I said, hit the log-out button and disappear from here.
The following users liked this post:
Meto (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 03:16 PM

DriverOne, Do you need evidence that all the threads you participate in turn to shit?
The following users liked this post:
04WDPSeDaN (07-25-2019)