Moving to Korea with 2019 RDX, need maintenance info

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 11:03 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Moving to Korea with 2019 RDX, need maintenance info

I'm moving to South Korea with my RDX. I'll be stationed at osan. I'm looking at maintenance parts. Will these oil and oil filters be ok considering I can ship via Amazon? I'll be there for 3 years starting this July and I just bought the car last month. So far I have little over 1000 miles on it.

1. Royal purple 0W-20 synthetic oil
2. K&N HP-1010 Performance Wrench-Off Oil Filter.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:27 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
perhaps, even overkill.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:57 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Can you just buy a bunch of the parts from Acura and ship them with your car? This way you know they are right and will not have potential problems getting them later.
The following users liked this post:
subin (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 08:14 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
My daughter is an E-5 stationed at Camp Humphreys in Korea in the Army and it was such a pain in the bottom to ship her car. She had to drive it on her own dime to a west coast port near LA. The paperwork was screwed up and she couldn't load the vehicle on the ship without it. Ended up having to drive back to NM and try to get the paperwork in order (always one form with command approval they forget to tell you about). It was just easier to sell her Mazda and purchase a beater vehicle over there. She was so glad she did that because she said folks drive friggen' crazy over there. Be prepared to get dents, being cut off constantly, and you must have a front/rear dash cam to protect yourself against your word against the locals.

She only needs the car for local city driving between off base home and work. Public trans using train or bus between cities are the way to go if you like to travel off the base.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrgold35:
Madd Dog (04-22-2019), subin (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 10:08 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Getting maintenance parts and oil from the Osan AAFES garage and gas station should be no problem. I'm pretty sure you can NOT ship extra filters and especially oil in the car. Thoroughly review the Do's and Don'ts on shipping you car. If you Google "Osan AB AAFES garage" you will get the Osan Exchange webpage. There is an international phone number for the garage if you wanted to call. Check if they have tires in stock for your RDX and if not ask them to stock at least two. Did you buy wheel and tire insurance from the dealer? If so find out how that works in Korea. You should research a cell phone plan that gives you free calls from the states to Korea. I'd call Acura and ask about authorized warranty dealers in South Korea. As mrgold35 stated driving your new RDX is Korea will be a challenge especially in Seoul. if you don't have any experience driving in places like Seoul, Cairo, and Rome I'd ride with someone else a couple of times before you drive. The front and rear dash camera is an excellent suggestion. Assuming your RDX has NAV I don't think the US version will support Korea. Another call to the dealer or Acura. The Osan AB Thrift Shop should have used Garmin's. I bought my predecessors local car and sold it to my replacement. You are already invested in the new RDX so that is probably not an option. Have you talked to your auto insurance? Depending on where you are now I'm guessing the auto insurance will be considerably higher. As a part of that conversation notify them and your lender that you are taking the car out of country. Make sure you get the estimated delivery date to Korea and obviously plan to be without. Find out if they deliver the car to Osan or you have to pick up in Pusan. Unless its changed you will have to take a test to get a Armed Forces Korea drivers license which includes international signs. Enjoy Korea and get out of the "US AB ghetto" on the weekends. Consider travel and vacation to other countries.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:15 AM
Advanced

PS Did a quick internet search. There are no Acura Dealers in South Korea, but three Honda dealers, two in Seoul and one in Busan. I'd ask the OSAN AB garage if they can do warranty repairs.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:57 PM
Instructor

Thanks for your input! I'm crossing my fingers again. Lol I brought a brand new 2016 ILX in 2015 to Osan AB in South Korea. Drove it all around the country and in busy areas of Seoul without a scratch or dent! I drove and parked in busy Lotte Tower/department stores and to various places including the country side near the Sockcho (near the DMZ) without problems. lol...but i had a few close encounters in Gangnam with some people slamming on their brakes and my ILX at the time detected it and braked for me. Amazing.

Last edited by Nurseman74; 04-22-2019 at 01:08 PM.
subin (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 01:06 PM
Instructor

@carson2246 Thanks for your detailed input! I appreciate it. Yeah I shipped an ILX to Korea before and shipped cars overseas multiple times and could not keep anything in the car. I think for the oil filters and oil, I'll have to ship it with my household goods. But then again, I dont think they'll allow me to ship motor oil in my household goods so i'll have to buy it from amazon when I get there. As for the oil filter, that was considered ok to ship per the movers. I went to Sams garage last time at Osan and they did a good job in taking care of my maintenance on my 2016 ILX at the time. Now that I have a new RDX, it maybe the same way again...buy the oil off amazon and take it to Sams garage. Since the RDX is new to me, I'm hoping to have the right parts so I dont screw up the RDX.

I did not buy wheel and tire insurance. I contacted Acura in 2015 about warranty repairs and they said although I can take it to Honda dealership in Seoul around Itaewon, I did not need to as long as I got my car serviced at an authorized mechanic on base then I'll still be covered. Yeah I dont think the NAV will work in Korea, last time it didnt. I used waze and apple maps which worked very well. This time, I may buy the NAV GPS from Osan Exchange that is made for Korea and has the speed cam detectors that alert me. Granted I could understand and speak some Korean, I still would want something in English since my wife can't understand Korean.

What I did last time was I drove from Osan AB to Yongsan Army Garrison on weekends to park at Dragon Hill hotel parking lot for free, when I'm visiting Seoul, then take the bus or train to go everywhere else from there. Last time USAA gave me a lien holder letter and auto insurance costs was not much different from Hawaii's and since I'm from Hawaii originally, everything is expensive to begin with. I'll probably be picking up my car from Camp Kim again.
subin (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 02:19 PM
Advanced

Sounds like you have it covered. You might talk to the dealer about getting software updates over WiFi while you are in Korea. I could not get mine to work here at home, but suspect it was a weak WiFi signal in the garage. As I mentioned before I'd check with Sam's on how long it takes to get tires for your RDX. Didn't they close, give back Yongsan but not Dragon Hill? I thought all of it was either closing or moving to Camp Humphreys.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:13 PM
Instructor

They're working on closing, but the dates keep getting pushed back from 2017...then 2018, and now July 2020. But I think most soldiers are moving out of Yongsan to go to Pyeontaek/Camp Humphreys. Its gonna be crazy packed people and possibly traffic wise in Pyeontaek area now...I maybe wrong. But anyway, yeah they're keep dragon hill there.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:19 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Honda sells the 2.0 over there in the Accord Turbo Sport, so at least someone there will be familiar with your engine.

https://hondakorea.co.kr/automobile/...delId=40000016
Nurseman74 (04-22-2019)