MDX Sport Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 08:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MDX Sport Hybrid

Just picked up a 2019 MDX Sport Hybrid for my wife. It has a 3.0 liter V6 and three electric motors, two that drive each rear wheel and one in the transmission for the front wheels coupled with a 7-speed dual clutch transmission. I really like how responsive the accelerator pedal is and the torque is very nice. After driving it a bit, I find myself wishing the RDX used the 7-speed dual clutch. It shifts very smooth and downshifts very quickly compared to the RDX 10-speed. What would really be awesome, would be a "RDX Sport Hybrid" with the same drive train.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:23 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
It is rumored that RDX sport hybrid was in development, but was cancelled or delayed for reasons unknown. Dunno.

The other shoe has yet to drop for Type-S.

BTW, the DCT in the sport hybrid is being aided and abetted by the electric motors. On their own, DCTs aren't known for smoothness. Rather the opposite.

Last edited by Wander; 07-15-2019 at 09:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wander:
MVD4912 (07-16-2019), silverTL6 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 08:39 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
The biggest downside with a RDX sport hybrid with the 7DCT would be no towing just like the MDX sh-sh-awd. Some folks still add a hitch to their MDX sh-sh-awd for cargo boxes, platform racks, or bike racks.

I went with the 19 MDX sh-sh-awd instead of the 19 RDX as a replacement for our 08 RDX as my wife's daily driver. Just like OK-RDX said is my experience with extremely smooth power delivery, turbo/supercharger like tq with no lag, and true 4 wheel tq vectoring on and off power for stable handling. I don't notice the Auto Stop-Start system tuning the engine on/off except by looking at the rpms. I like I only need to hit the paddle 1-2 times to downshift instead of 2-5 times with the 9AT or 10AT for tq braking.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:00 AM
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
It is rumored that RDX sport hybrid was in development, but was cancelled or delayed for reasons unknown. Dunno.

The other shoe has yet to drop for Type-S.

BTW, the DCT in the sport hybrid is being aided and abetted by the electric motors. On their own, DCTs aren't known for smoothness. Rather the opposite.
Acura could have put a DCT in the RDX because, they use a 8 speed DCT in the TLX 2.4 and the ILX, but instead of the electric motor that DCT uses a torque converter.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,415 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by WTF.Acura
Acura could have put a DCT in the RDX because, they use a 8 speed DCT in the TLX 2.4 and the ILX, but instead of the electric motor that DCT uses a torque converter.
I don't think it's quite that simple, considering that Acura even said one of the reasons they couldn't use the DCT in the 3.5 is because it can't handle the torque output.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:49 AM
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
I don't think it's quite that simple, considering that Acura even said one of the reasons they couldn't use the DCT in the 3.5 is because it can't handle the torque output.
Well I guess that makes sense,If it can’t handle high torque output then only use it with the electric motor SHAWD.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:52 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by WTF.Acura
Torque converter is the other way to smooth out a DCT, of course, but then you lose much of the efficiency advantage of a DCT.

CVT is the other route to efficiency, but typically they have less torque capacity. And not the greatest user experience, especially for the performance/luxury segment.

Dunno why Acura can't design a hybrid with some minimal towing capability. Their competitors don't seem to have a problem with that.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
I test drove the MDX SH right after it was launched. I was genuinely impressed with the powertrain -- so much so that I would seriously consider a Passport with the same hybrid drivetrain. You can bet I'll be anxiously awaiting details on the ZDX if it comes to be as well.

Last edited by HotRodW; 07-16-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:30 PM
Drifting

I think Acura will keep the sport hybrid drivetrain exclusive to the brand.

But Honda has other hybrid systems that are focused more on efficiency rather than performance and driving dynamics. Maybe one will emerge in their mainstream SUV lineup.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:57 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OK-RDX
Just picked up a 2019 MDX Sport Hybrid for my wife. It has a 3.0 liter V6 and three electric motors, two that drive each rear wheel and one in the transmission for the front wheels coupled with a 7-speed dual clutch transmission. I really like how responsive the accelerator pedal is and the torque is very nice. After driving it a bit, I find myself wishing the RDX used the 7-speed dual clutch. It shifts very smooth and downshifts very quickly compared to the RDX 10-speed. What would really be awesome, would be a "RDX Sport Hybrid" with the same drive train.
Sorry to dig up an old thread. I am considering both of those models, which one would you pick up if you can just pick up one? And why?

I am planning to test drive both and factor in my experience as well. I am sure I would not notice difference as much as you do though.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:58 AM
mrgold35

I've had my 19 MDX Adv hybrid since Mar/19 with 20,500 miles on her (mileage down since lockdown). I liked the MDX hybrid so much, I ended up getting a 18 CPO RLX hybrid with 7200 miles in Dec/19. The RLX hybrid powertrain is even better than the MDX with 377hp/341tq at 28-30 mpgs average.

I would still pick the MDX hybrid over the +19 RDX Adv sh-awd because:
- improved city mpgs of 24-26 with the 6 passenger SUV (hybrid tech model has bench seats for up to 7)
- extremely smooth delivery of power with 3 electric motors, 7DCT, and 3.0L NA port injection engine
- the electric motors instant tq make up for any 3.0L power loss since I live/drive 5000-7000 feet in NM
- same 425-450 mile range with 19.4 gal tank in city or hwy driving
- excellent handing with electronic dampers and sh-awd with true tq vectoring with regen braking on and off throttle (no sh-awd with 2.0T off throttle). I can haul butt up and down the mountain switchbacks because of off throttle tq vectoring+regen braking
- less road noise
- IDS Comfort/Normal sets the electronic dampers to comfort
- IDS Sport/Sport+ sets the electronic dampers to sport (I keep it in sport IDS mode)
- no Auto Stop/Start, replaced with EV modes (100% EV mode for short distances, shared combo of each most of the time, or full power EV+3.0L+7DCT+max damper mode in Sport+ mode)
- added a hitch for bikes and full size spare for traveling
- exterior styling still current to the new MDX, TLX, and RDX
- exactly same M.I.D. maint schedule and intervals as any sh-awd MDX, sh-awd RDX, or sh-awd TLX
- Acura hasn't announced any plans to provide another sport hybrid, plug-in, or EV vehicle for at least another 3-4 years

Downsides of the MDX hybrid compared to the RDX:
- no HUD for MDX
- no precision cockpit for MDX
- no pano sunroof for MDX
- much better ELS and infotainment set-up for the RDX
- MDX hybrid becomes fwd only at +84 mph (no regen braking, no tq vectoring, no electric motors engaged)
- smaller size of RDX makes for a better city car or fit into tight parking spaces
- 3rd Gen MDX interior looks and materials are at Honda levels compared to the RDX or +22 MDX
- my 08 RDX (hondata+ETS intercooler) mpgs were always 18-20 mpgs because of having to spool up the turbo at 5000-7200 feet and interstate speeds of 75-80 mph. I know I would need spool the +19 sh-awd RDX turbo a lot for the same level of performance (and lower mpgs) with the 2.0T.

The RDX will be around for a while; but, the 17-20 MDX sport hybrid might be an "one-and-done" vehicle. Others with +17 MDX hybrids haven't had any issues with the powertrain and loved the added performance as they get close to 100,000 miles.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:02 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I've had my 19 MDX Adv hybrid since Mar/19 with 20,500 miles on her (mileage down since lockdown). I liked the MDX hybrid so much, I ended up getting a 18 CPO RLX hybrid with 7200 miles in Dec/19. The RLX hybrid powertrain is even better than the MDX with 377hp/341tq at 28-30 mpgs average.

I would still pick the MDX hybrid over the +19 RDX Adv sh-awd because:
- improved city mpgs of 24-26 with the 6 passenger SUV (hybrid tech model has bench seats for up to 7)
- extremely smooth delivery of power with 3 electric motors, 7DCT, and 3.0L NA port injection engine
- the electric motors instant tq make up for any 3.0L power loss since I live/drive 5000-7000 feet in NM
- same 425-450 mile range with 19.4 gal tank in city or hwy driving
- excellent handing with electronic dampers and sh-awd with true tq vectoring with regen braking on and off throttle (no sh-awd with 2.0T off throttle). I can haul butt up and down the mountain switchbacks because of off throttle tq vectoring+regen braking
- less road noise
- IDS Comfort/Normal sets the electronic dampers to comfort
- IDS Sport/Sport+ sets the electronic dampers to sport (I keep it in sport IDS mode)
- no Auto Stop/Start, replaced with EV modes (100% EV mode for short distances, shared combo of each most of the time, or full power EV+3.0L+7DCT+max damper mode in Sport+ mode)
- added a hitch for bikes and full size spare for traveling
- exterior styling still current to the new MDX, TLX, and RDX
- exactly same M.I.D. maint schedule and intervals as any sh-awd MDX, sh-awd RDX, or sh-awd TLX
- Acura hasn't announced any plans to provide another sport hybrid, plug-in, or EV vehicle for at least another 3-4 years

Downsides of the MDX hybrid compared to the RDX:
- no HUD for MDX
- no precision cockpit for MDX
- no pano sunroof for MDX
- much better ELS and infotainment set-up for the RDX
- MDX hybrid becomes fwd only at +84 mph (no regen braking, no tq vectoring, no electric motors engaged)
- smaller size of RDX makes for a better city car or fit into tight parking spaces
- 3rd Gen MDX interior looks and materials are at Honda levels compared to the RDX or +22 MDX
- my 08 RDX (hondata+ETS intercooler) mpgs were always 18-20 mpgs because of having to spool up the turbo at 5000-7200 feet and interstate speeds of 75-80 mph. I know I would need spool the +19 sh-awd RDX turbo a lot for the same level of performance (and lower mpgs) with the 2.0T.

The RDX will be around for a while; but, the 17-20 MDX sport hybrid might be an "one-and-done" vehicle. Others with +17 MDX hybrids haven't had any issues with the powertrain and loved the added performance as they get close to 100,000 miles.
Thank you, that's a great writeup. I am planning to add bike rack and full size spare as well. I would probably go for tech model for bench seating.

One small question, how big the infotainment system difference feel, use of dial vs touch bad?
Old 02-19-2021, 06:53 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by ruturaj
Thank you, that's a great writeup. I am planning to add bike rack and full size spare as well. I would probably go for tech model for bench seating.

One small question, how big the infotainment system difference feel, use of dial vs touch bad?
The 3rd Gen MDX uses the lower touchscreen for infotainment, climate controls, and seat heat/venting setting. Other than the cleaning off fingerprints, I like the dual screen setup (more real estate to display more info at a glance). The only PITA is Carplay is displayed on the upper navi screen that isn't a touchscreen. Can be difficult to use the Navi knob for touchscreen apps. Siri voice commands work 100X better than Acura voice commands if you like to use that interface. Probably works the same for the RDX with Siri for music searches, responding to text messages, or using one of the Carplay Navi apps to search/navigate to addresses by voice commands. I don't have to fiddle with my touchscreen all that much with the steering wheel controls for music and climate/seat temps set to auto.

Last edited by mrgold35; 02-19-2021 at 07:02 PM.