massive hesitation on acceleration after braking is driving me NUTS !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 11:39 PM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
"Right" and "Wrong" is a fluid concept.

For instance, if you are in a small boat and you have right-of-way crossing paths with an oil tanker, it would be wrong to aggressively assert it. That's just the way it is.

But hey, it's your boat, so do what you want...
Those are actually two different things, which people often confuse. Right and wrong aren't determined based on the outcome achieved. They're independent of it. So, yes, we could debate what is "right" or "wrong" about driving, but it would have nothing to do with "a guy gets out and shoots you." If the oil tanker is in the wrong, then it's in the wrong. Now, it may smash into your small boat and kill you while it is in the wrong and you are in the right, but that doesn't actually change the fact that it was in the wrong. You may say that, then, you could accommodate someone who is in the wrong in order to avoid them smashing into your boat and that would be fine. But then you'd have to be consistent about that. In other words, if you actually believed that was the best way to drive, then even if I said directly to you "I plan to cut you off on purpose and possibly injure you and I don't care what you think of that," your proper response should be "OK, then I will try not to anger you." Because that's what you would actually believe.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:31 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
This could lead into a fascinating and wonderfully circuitous philosophical discourse on our system of laws and "rights" and all of that, which really have no fundamental meaning except that they are a feeble attempt to get us to get along and not kill each other.

But as I told my kids when they were learning to drive, there's only one absolute driving rule: AVOID COLLISIONS! Everything else is just an attempt to make that possible.

Back to "flipping the bird": how many times has that strategy achieved the outcome of improving the other driver's behavior? ( Not saying I haven't done it, but my success rate is precisely zero. YMMV ).
Old 07-03-2019, 04:53 AM
Banned

This could lead into a fascinating and wonderfully circuitous philosophical discourse on our system of laws and "rights" and all of that
Technically, it wouldn't lead to a circuitous discourse because all I'm saying is that you should be consistent in your behavior. I never told you what to believe. If you indeed believe that you should do whatever it takes to never have some random guy shoot you because they're deranged, then that should always hold true. Even if I said "I'm that random guy who would shoot you if you irritated me," it should not lead you to start telling me how to behave because you already said that's not your place because I might shoot you. So if I like to drive around flipping people off - even for no reason, just to do it - then you would have to accept that and say nothing because otherwise I might shoot you. Actually, you should behave in a way where I wouldn't shoot you, like by not cutting me off.

Back to "flipping the bird": how many times has that strategy achieved the outcome of improving the other driver's behavior? ( Not saying I haven't done it, but my success rate is precisely zero. YMMV ).
I don't do it to improve someone's behavior. I do it to convey to them that they don't know how to drive. What they do with that information afterwards is up to them.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by REALM
You may just need a V6, plain and simple. Not everyone does, but you probably do to enjoy your experience.
I’ve had all kinds of vehicles...
- 4 cylinder NA
- 4 cyliner turbo
- 6 in line
- V6
- V8
- Turbo Diesel
- 2WD: RWD/FWD, AWD, 4WD, 4x4
- Sports cars, SUVs, pickup trucks mid-size, half ton, quarter ton, Sedans

Not every car and combo is right for each person. Even the best 4 cylinder turbos have turbo lag. Most can deal with it, some can’t.
I don’t love it, miss my MDX V6 at times, but I can deal with it and not planning to sell my car or anything. It still drives awesome other than the lag, and gets better mileage than a V6.

You can improve it some by just putting it in Sport+, and getting into it and saying screw gas mileage. The lag probably won’t bug you as much, but the 16mpg and slight lag might.
My 1st gen 4 cyl turbo rdx does not have hesitation issue, and it has less HP than 3rd gen. Sounds like software needs update.
Glad I skipped first year model, hopefully it’s fixed in 2020.
The following users liked this post:
SandwichViking (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 09:03 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
This could lead into a fascinating and wonderfully circuitous philosophical discourse on our system of laws and "rights" and all of that, which really have no fundamental meaning except that they are a feeble attempt to get us to get along and not kill each other.

But as I told my kids when they were learning to drive, there's only one absolute driving rule: AVOID COLLISIONS! Everything else is just an attempt to make that possible.

They do it to relieve their anger, pent up anger. It makes them feel good.
I bet this lady feels good right now also:
https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...I8dXVL1JMsDWjc
When you let your anger get the best of you, bad things happen.
Road ragers think that the other driver interfered with them on purpose, but in most cases, it was an oversight or an honest mistake. Or they were right all along and the road rager thinks they are right all the time. Mr know-it-all.
Just chill out and keep your finger on your steering wheel.
In most jurisdictions, throwing a finger constitutes aggressive driving. As it should.
Everyone makes mistakes. Just chill and avoid a tragic situation.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:07 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DriverOne
Technically, it wouldn't lead to a circuitous discourse because all I'm saying is that you should be consistent in your behavior. I never told you what to believe. If you indeed believe that you should do whatever it takes to never have some random guy shoot you because they're deranged, then that should always hold true. Even if I said "I'm that random guy who would shoot you if you irritated me," it should not lead you to start telling me how to behave because you already said that's not your place because I might shoot you. So if I like to drive around flipping people off - even for no reason, just to do it - then you would have to accept that and say nothing because otherwise I might shoot you. Actually, you should behave in a way where I wouldn't shoot you, like by not cutting me off.

I don't do it to improve someone's behavior. I do it to convey to them that they don't know how to drive. What they do with that information afterwards is up to them.
I call BS on that.
They do it because it makes them feel superior, and it makes them feel good.
It satisfies their surge of anger.
Admitting it is the first step towards recovery.
I do hope you seek help.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:32 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DriverOne

I'm conveying to you that your behavior can only lead to negative results.
What you do with that info is up to you.
This is the last I will post on this subject.
Good luck to you.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
It has been said that tuning with K-Tuner removes the hesitation so it it seems it is a software issue that Acura could fix.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...19-rdx-978958/

The hesitation bothers me so much that I am considering getting the K-Tuner, but will probably wait a few more months .
Funz51 (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 12:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lend27
They do it to relieve their anger, pent up anger. It makes them feel good.
I bet this lady feels good right now also:
https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...I8dXVL1JMsDWjc
When you let your anger get the best of you, bad things happen.
Road ragers think that the other driver interfered with them on purpose, but in most cases, it was an oversight or an honest mistake. Or they were right all along and the road rager thinks they are right all the time. Mr know-it-all.
Just chill out and keep your finger on your steering wheel.
In most jurisdictions, throwing a finger constitutes aggressive driving. As it should.
Everyone makes mistakes. Just chill and avoid a tragic situation.
Actually, the road rager was the person who instigated physical violence, which is who everyone is supporting. But I agree, people who I flip off should not let their anger get the best of them. Also, what if I wasn't flipping off people, but was just pointing at the sky with my middle finger? Nobody should jump to conclusions.
robnalex (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 12:42 PM
Banned

By the way, what I always find interesting is that people are so consumed with telling me not to flip off someone and yet they're 100% defensive about the person who drives aggressively and cuts people off and doesn't follow proper driving behavior. Could this be because people are actually falling into this category and feel as if they need to defend their driving behavior?
robnalex (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 01:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Why dont we talk about hesitation during acceleration
The following 4 users liked this post by russianDude:
acuraada (07-05-2019), Funz51 (07-03-2019), JB in AZ (07-03-2019), wsw (05-24-2020)
Old 07-03-2019, 05:44 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
OH! Is that what this thread is about?
Old 07-03-2019, 06:14 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
OH! Is that what this thread is about?
Don’t hesitate to flip off someone who ticks you off on the road.

It seems.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:37 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What if the hesitation causes someone to get cut off and then they flip off an RDX driver?
Old 07-03-2019, 09:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jbasirico
What if the hesitation causes someone to get cut off and then they flip off an RDX driver?
Thats a cause and effect
Old 07-03-2019, 10:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jbasirico
The RDX driver would be the one hesitating, not the one moving, according to the thread, so that doesn't make sense. But if someone did cut him off, then he should definitely flip them off.
Funz51 (07-04-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 11:23 PM
Drifting

I'm not sure if I have actually flipped off my RDX when the transmission hesitates.

But I have expressed my frustration verbally in rather colorful language.

Sadly, it doesn't seem to have influenced her behavior.

It does make me wonder what will happen when cars get smart enough to understand the insults I am hurling at them.

Or the even more common object of my ire, the snotty female voice of the self-serve checkout at the grocery store. Now THAT drives me NUTS!
Old 07-04-2019, 07:49 AM
Advanced

I switched from Comfort to Sport and that seems to minimize the lag.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:08 AM
Expanse me

Received 299 Likes on 226 Posts
minimize the pain

Originally Posted by Lend27
I switched from Comfort to Sport and that seems to minimize the lag.
Right,
and go one step further, as I posted above "I have found that if I turn off the CMBS (by your left knee, lower left pushbutton, hold it for a few seconds until you see a yellow indicator in the upper right side of your dash), that the throttle delay is more tolerable. (BTW, I always have the RDM off, the upper left button)".
These all have influence on the throttle I think.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:50 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Funz51
Right,
and go one step further, as I posted above "I have found that if I turn off the CMBS (by your left knee, lower left pushbutton, hold it for a few seconds until you see a yellow indicator in the upper right side of your dash), that the throttle delay is more tolerable. (BTW, I always have the RDM off, the upper left button)".
CMBS? Collision Management Braking System? RDM? Random Death Match?
Old 07-04-2019, 04:26 PM
Drifting

LOL

CMBS = Collision Mitigation Braking System

RDM = Road Departure Mitigation

LKS = Lane Keeping Assist

It shouldn't affect throttle response ( nor should CMBS ), but given the underwhelming processing capabilities of the vehicle and the bazillion lines of code in all its nanny systems, who knows?
Old 07-09-2019, 12:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I've noticed the same hesitation on both the '18 and '19 RDX, so I reckon it has to do with transmission programming. Anyway, it's very annoying and can be dangerous when trying to merge with traffic. What I experience is that after I brake to turn a corner or slow to merge into traffic and then try to accelerate, there's no response for a second or two. I've noticed that driving in "S" seems to help.
wsw (09-24-2020)
Old 07-12-2019, 12:15 AM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Now that I've driven the car for a few weeks, I can report back. I haven't experienced much hesitation these days... depends on traffic flow and speed. I notice that hesitation mostly appears when you slow down to around 5-15 mph. Above that, and it fades as the speed increases. I find keeping the transmission in "S" mode generally improves response except for that 5-15 mph range. From a stop, there is no hesitation. No significant hesitation at "highway" speeds. Mainly in the city below 30 mph, and mostly in the 5-15 mph range. Anyone have similar observations?
wsw (09-24-2020)
Old 07-12-2019, 03:25 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven’t noticed any acceleration hesitation after braking on my 2020 with a manufactured date of 6/2019. What are the symptoms? Braking from 50-60km/h to 25-30km/h and then accelerating? How hard am I braking?
Old 07-12-2019, 12:09 PM
Advanced

Moderately hard braking down to half your original speed, ending up at 10-30 km/h (60 to 30, 40 to 20, 30 to 15). Then accelerate. Not panic stop, but not gradual either.

Comfort drive mode and D transmission mode seems to produce more hesitation than Sport and S.

I wish I had a data logger.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Funz51
Right,
Just got around to trying this suggestion. Unfortunately, I tried turning off CMBS (Collision Mitigation Braking system) and RDM (Road Departure Mitigation), but it didn't make any difference for my car, at least not enough for me to notice.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:53 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
My 2019 has this issue for sure. I have previously mentioned the issue in another thread here. I usually drive in Sport mode and there is one intersection where this happens almost every time I make a right in a dedicated right turn lane with a yield sign and I am watching for left turners going wide into my lane. I don't come to a full stop and when I step on the gas to go its' as if there is only one cylinder firing - some power but bogged down. Gets dangerous when I try to fit into a gap and the car does not go and the next left turner goes wide. I just wait now for a completely clear multi car gap and put up with the occasional impatient horn from behind. Starting to think maybe I should wear a hat with a full brim...

I'll have to try the paddle downshift method. I think I have done this before but it did not help.

My other biggest complaint on this vehicle is that I will come to a full stop, as required by law, for all of something like a half second and start to go and then the Auto Stop/Start function kicks in just as I step on the gas. Again, really dangerous. It should not kick in so quickly. I wonder if this function is connected to the hesitation what with all the CPU processing going on.

Otherwise, when the engine is running and the tires are rolling above walking speed, this car is a great drive.

The following 2 users liked this post by Newsy1904:
spinedoc777 (07-31-2019), wsw (05-24-2020)
Old 07-31-2019, 07:18 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Newsy1904
there is one intersection where this happens almost every time I make a right in a dedicated right turn lane with a yield sign and I am watching for left turners going wide into my lane. I don't come to a full stop and when I step on the gas to go its' as if there is only one cylinder firing - some power but bogged down. .
I know that you said there are no cars in front of you, but I experienced this same loss of power frequently when going around a certain curve in my town.

As I make the turn, I reach a point where I am only 1-2 car lengths away from some large hydro poles and traffic lights, and I am pointing directly at them. I believe my RDX sees these obstruction in front of me, and attempts to stop me from hitting them. An interesting thing is, that if I go around the curve without touching the brake, I have no loss of power, but if I tap the brake because the car in front of me slows down, then I get the reduction in power.

I should make note that I can always reproduce the problem at this curve, but tapping the brake, at the same speed, on a straight section of road does not cause the power reduction. Because of this I feel the presence of obstacles in front of me is what is causing the power loss.

I saw this video from Subaru years ago, and I always felt that my RDX was trying to protect me from collision as this video demonstrates. Please jump to the 1:00 minute mark to see the applicable section.

Last edited by RDX-Rick; 07-31-2019 at 07:24 PM.
GW208 (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 08:01 PM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Newsy1904
My 2019 has this issue for sure. I have previously mentioned the issue in another thread here. I usually drive in Sport mode and there is one intersection where this happens almost every time I make a right in a dedicated right turn lane with a yield sign and I am watching for left turners going wide into my lane. I don't come to a full stop and when I step on the gas to go its' as if there is only one cylinder firing - some power but bogged down. Gets dangerous when I try to fit into a gap and the car does not go and the next left turner goes wide. I just wait now for a completely clear multi car gap and put up with the occasional impatient horn from behind. Starting to think maybe I should wear a hat with a full brim...

I'll have to try the paddle downshift method. I think I have done this before but it did not help.

My other biggest complaint on this vehicle is that I will come to a full stop, as required by law, for all of something like a half second and start to go and then the Auto Stop/Start function kicks in just as I step on the gas. Again, really dangerous. It should not kick in so quickly. I wonder if this function is connected to the hesitation what with all the CPU processing going on.

Otherwise, when the engine is running and the tires are rolling above walking speed, this car is a great drive.

You won't be happy with the paddle downshift method, it makes things worse. Firstly you have to time it just right, which means you have to hover your fingers and be ready so it's not feasible in conditions where you are reacting. Second once you downshift in my experience the vehicle stays in that lower gear for a much longer time than normal, and you still have some hesitation. So what happens is you downshift, get the hesitation and now because the RPM's are so high you end up jerking forward, then have to manually upshift because you are stuck in that gear. I've just learned to live with it until my 3 year lease is up and I can say goodbye to this POS.

BTW on a related note, anyone else getting really rough downshifts? It seems to be getting worse, when the vehicle is engine braking and downshifting automatically I'll often get a very rough downshift, very noticeable and reminds me of having a 1980s transmission. It seems fairly random.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:06 PM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by achong507
It has been said that tuning with K-Tuner removes the hesitation so it it seems it is a software issue that Acura could fix.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...19-rdx-978958/

The hesitation bothers me so much that I am considering getting the K-Tuner, but will probably wait a few more months .
I'd do this in a second, but I have a lease vehicle. Anyone know if this would cause an issue when turning the vehicle in at lease end? I suppose I would be worried about warranty as well, although I know warranty would only be affected if it was directly related to the tune. But you know dealers, they will most likely blame the tuner even if it isn't the issue.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:45 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
mmmmmmmmm technologeeeee, always and foreverrrr.

Yes, the hesitation sucks sometimes. I like bitch, go!
Old 09-30-2019, 06:54 AM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same issue with my 2019 RDX. Very scary to have the lack of responsiveness when you pull out from a stop. Definitely a problem with this vehicle and hoping for a fix soon.
wsw (09-24-2020)
Old 09-30-2019, 07:21 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Forgive me if this already got covered above, but I got tired of reading the road rage rabbit hole discussion.

I don't think this is a drive train issue. My car does it when I have the auto engine stop in the default on mode and doesn't seem to do it when I have it overridden. Maybe that is why Madd Dog never notices it, he automatically overrides it when he get in the car. (I think it was MD that said that). I think the engine sense an auto off condition, cuts power and then has to do a restart, hence the 1-2 seconds of "oh my goad, that car is gonna hit me!" sensation.

Thank goodness that once it does come to life it can haul a**.

Doc, have you tried it with auto engine stop off?
Old 09-30-2019, 07:58 AM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
I said it here previously as well when I did my test drive the single most annoying bug I found was that initial throttle lag. It has nothing to do with NA 6 vs Turbo 4 it all has to do with ignition timing and saving wear/tear on the transmission. Here in Utah most of our lights don’t get solid green turn arrows but a blinking yellow yield turn signal. Which means in any type of wet condition (snow / rain) you need immediate traction and acceleration to get through busy interceptions. When I test drove the RDX there were a few intersections that I either needed to make a U turn or left turn that I almost got into accidents. I lost all confidence in the vehicle due to that delay.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:19 AM
Expanse me

Received 299 Likes on 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Smilin_Jim
Forgive me if this already got covered above, but I got tired of reading the road rage rabbit hole discussion.

I don't think this is a drive train issue. My car does it when I have the auto engine stop in the default on mode and doesn't seem to do it when I have it overridden. Maybe that is why Madd Dog never notices it, he automatically overrides it when he get in the car. (I think it was MD that said that). I think the engine sense an auto off condition, cuts power and then has to do a restart, hence the 1-2 seconds of "oh my goad, that car is gonna hit me!" sensation.

I have the throttle issue 1/2 the time, and have complained and received responses from Acura several times.

The way I get around it is:
1) pull a shift lever just before accelerating. It can even be the right one so it does not get stuck in 1st or 2nd gear if desired. or
2) tap the gas pedal a couple inches just before you accelerate.

Both these appear to 'get the attention of the tranny' so it responds promptly.

BTW, this 'issue' is not an Acura issue, it is a 4 cyl / (as stated above) save a penny engine/tranny electronic issue. All the rentals with 4 bangers that I have driven have this issue. I also have a 2017 MB c300 in my garage, which does not have the issue with a 4 turbo, so it can be done! (GF drives that, btw, I dont like the car for other reasons)

Last edited by Funz51; 09-30-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Well after 4500 mile on the clock my hesitation has pretty much gone away. I just dont think it's a hardware problem. Seems the software is doing it's best trying to find a gear to be in at the exact moment. I also have used the paddel shifter to forse it into 1st. and it does work if your going to stop and start very rapidly. But as I mentioned my hesitation is pretty much gone. As mentioned at 4500 miles of mostly city driving the software has learned my driving habits. I'm very pleased with this vehical and getting 20 mpg in town. Never came close to that with my Lexus NX. One thing I've learned is that the harder you drive and rev up theses little 4 cyclinders the more they like it. They don't do well lugging around.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:08 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Has anyone confirmed if the 2020 models have the same hesitation glitch? I agree this would drive me nuts too.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:54 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Cuzz
Has anyone confirmed if the 2020 models have the same hesitation glitch? I agree this would drive me nuts too.
You can't assume that every 2019 has every "glitch" you read here. Or 2020s either.

If you read ANY car forum, you will read about issues that some owners have experienced.
The following 2 users liked this post by JB in AZ:
DWG (09-30-2019), Funz51 (10-01-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 02:37 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
My 2019 is at 4000 miles and does this. My take is that it's a transmission problem. Too many gears, car can't pick which one to go into.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:33 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Smilin_Jim

That's not the cause. I always shut off idle auto engine stop and I get the issue slowing down without stopping then accelerating.

Quick Reply: massive hesitation on acceleration after braking is driving me NUTS !!