Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > AcuraZine RDX Community > Third Generation RDX (2019+)
Reload this Page >

massive hesitation on acceleration after braking is driving me NUTS !!

Notices

massive hesitation on acceleration after braking is driving me NUTS !!

Old 07-02-2019, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander View Post
"Right" and "Wrong" is a fluid concept.

For instance, if you are in a small boat and you have right-of-way crossing paths with an oil tanker, it would be wrong to aggressively assert it. That's just the way it is.

But hey, it's your boat, so do what you want...
Those are actually two different things, which people often confuse. Right and wrong aren't determined based on the outcome achieved. They're independent of it. So, yes, we could debate what is "right" or "wrong" about driving, but it would have nothing to do with "a guy gets out and shoots you." If the oil tanker is in the wrong, then it's in the wrong. Now, it may smash into your small boat and kill you while it is in the wrong and you are in the right, but that doesn't actually change the fact that it was in the wrong. You may say that, then, you could accommodate someone who is in the wrong in order to avoid them smashing into your boat and that would be fine. But then you'd have to be consistent about that. In other words, if you actually believed that was the best way to drive, then even if I said directly to you "I plan to cut you off on purpose and possibly injure you and I don't care what you think of that," your proper response should be "OK, then I will try not to anger you." Because that's what you would actually believe.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

Received 274 Likes on 194 Posts
This could lead into a fascinating and wonderfully circuitous philosophical discourse on our system of laws and "rights" and all of that, which really have no fundamental meaning except that they are a feeble attempt to get us to get along and not kill each other.

But as I told my kids when they were learning to drive, there's only one absolute driving rule: AVOID COLLISIONS! Everything else is just an attempt to make that possible.

Back to "flipping the bird": how many times has that strategy achieved the outcome of improving the other driver's behavior? ( Not saying I haven't done it, but my success rate is precisely zero. YMMV ).
Old 07-03-2019, 04:53 AM
Registered Member

This could lead into a fascinating and wonderfully circuitous philosophical discourse on our system of laws and "rights" and all of that
Technically, it wouldn't lead to a circuitous discourse because all I'm saying is that you should be consistent in your behavior. I never told you what to believe. If you indeed believe that you should do whatever it takes to never have some random guy shoot you because they're deranged, then that should always hold true. Even if I said "I'm that random guy who would shoot you if you irritated me," it should not lead you to start telling me how to behave because you already said that's not your place because I might shoot you. So if I like to drive around flipping people off - even for no reason, just to do it - then you would have to accept that and say nothing because otherwise I might shoot you. Actually, you should behave in a way where I wouldn't shoot you, like by not cutting me off.

Back to "flipping the bird": how many times has that strategy achieved the outcome of improving the other driver's behavior? ( Not saying I haven't done it, but my success rate is precisely zero. YMMV ).
I don't do it to improve someone's behavior. I do it to convey to them that they don't know how to drive. What they do with that information afterwards is up to them.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:54 AM
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by REALM View Post
You may just need a V6, plain and simple. Not everyone does, but you probably do to enjoy your experience.
Iíve had all kinds of vehicles...
- 4 cylinder NA
- 4 cyliner turbo
- 6 in line
- V6
- V8
- Turbo Diesel
- 2WD: RWD/FWD, AWD, 4WD, 4x4
- Sports cars, SUVs, pickup trucks mid-size, half ton, quarter ton, Sedans

Not every car and combo is right for each person. Even the best 4 cylinder turbos have turbo lag. Most can deal with it, some canít.
I donít love it, miss my MDX V6 at times, but I can deal with it and not planning to sell my car or anything. It still drives awesome other than the lag, and gets better mileage than a V6.

You can improve it some by just putting it in Sport+, and getting into it and saying screw gas mileage. The lag probably wonít bug you as much, but the 16mpg and slight lag might.
My 1st gen 4 cyl turbo rdx does not have hesitation issue, and it has less HP than 3rd gen. Sounds like software needs update.
Glad I skipped first year model, hopefully itís fixed in 2020.
The following users liked this post:
SandwichViking (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
This could lead into a fascinating and wonderfully circuitous philosophical discourse on our system of laws and "rights" and all of that, which really have no fundamental meaning except that they are a feeble attempt to get us to get along and not kill each other.

But as I told my kids when they were learning to drive, there's only one absolute driving rule: AVOID COLLISIONS! Everything else is just an attempt to make that possible.

They do it to relieve their anger, pent up anger. It makes them feel good.
I bet this lady feels good right now also:
https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...I8dXVL1JMsDWjc
When you let your anger get the best of you, bad things happen.
Road ragers think that the other driver interfered with them on purpose, but in most cases, it was an oversight or an honest mistake. Or they were right all along and the road rager thinks they are right all the time. Mr know-it-all.
Just chill out and keep your finger on your steering wheel.
In most jurisdictions, throwing a finger constitutes aggressive driving. As it should.
Everyone makes mistakes. Just chill and avoid a tragic situation.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DriverOne View Post
Technically, it wouldn't lead to a circuitous discourse because all I'm saying is that you should be consistent in your behavior. I never told you what to believe. If you indeed believe that you should do whatever it takes to never have some random guy shoot you because they're deranged, then that should always hold true. Even if I said "I'm that random guy who would shoot you if you irritated me," it should not lead you to start telling me how to behave because you already said that's not your place because I might shoot you. So if I like to drive around flipping people off - even for no reason, just to do it - then you would have to accept that and say nothing because otherwise I might shoot you. Actually, you should behave in a way where I wouldn't shoot you, like by not cutting me off.

I don't do it to improve someone's behavior. I do it to convey to them that they don't know how to drive. What they do with that information afterwards is up to them.
I call BS on that.
They do it because it makes them feel superior, and it makes them feel good.
It satisfies their surge of anger.
Admitting it is the first step towards recovery.
I do hope you seek help.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DriverOne View Post

I'm conveying to you that your behavior can only lead to negative results.
What you do with that info is up to you.
This is the last I will post on this subject.
Good luck to you.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
It has been said that tuning with K-Tuner removes the hesitation so it it seems it is a software issue that Acura could fix.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...19-rdx-978958/

The hesitation bothers me so much that I am considering getting the K-Tuner, but will probably wait a few more months .
Funz51 (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lend27 View Post
They do it to relieve their anger, pent up anger. It makes them feel good.
I bet this lady feels good right now also:
https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...I8dXVL1JMsDWjc
When you let your anger get the best of you, bad things happen.
Road ragers think that the other driver interfered with them on purpose, but in most cases, it was an oversight or an honest mistake. Or they were right all along and the road rager thinks they are right all the time. Mr know-it-all.
Just chill out and keep your finger on your steering wheel.
In most jurisdictions, throwing a finger constitutes aggressive driving. As it should.
Everyone makes mistakes. Just chill and avoid a tragic situation.
Actually, the road rager was the person who instigated physical violence, which is who everyone is supporting. But I agree, people who I flip off should not let their anger get the best of them. Also, what if I wasn't flipping off people, but was just pointing at the sky with my middle finger? Nobody should jump to conclusions.
robnalex (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

By the way, what I always find interesting is that people are so consumed with telling me not to flip off someone and yet they're 100% defensive about the person who drives aggressively and cuts people off and doesn't follow proper driving behavior. Could this be because people are actually falling into this category and feel as if they need to defend their driving behavior?
robnalex (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

Why dont we talk about hesitation during acceleration
The following 3 users liked this post by russianDude:
acuraada (07-05-2019), Funz51 (07-03-2019), JB in AZ (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude View Post
OH! Is that what this thread is about?
Old 07-03-2019, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ View Post
OH! Is that what this thread is about?
Donít hesitate to flip off someone who ticks you off on the road.

It seems.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What if the hesitation causes someone to get cut off and then they flip off an RDX driver?
Old 07-03-2019, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jbasirico View Post
What if the hesitation causes someone to get cut off and then they flip off an RDX driver?
Thats a cause and effect
Old 07-03-2019, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jbasirico View Post
The RDX driver would be the one hesitating, not the one moving, according to the thread, so that doesn't make sense. But if someone did cut him off, then he should definitely flip them off.
Funz51 (07-04-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

I'm not sure if I have actually flipped off my RDX when the transmission hesitates.

But I have expressed my frustration verbally in rather colorful language.

Sadly, it doesn't seem to have influenced her behavior.

It does make me wonder what will happen when cars get smart enough to understand the insults I am hurling at them.

Or the even more common object of my ire, the snotty female voice of the self-serve checkout at the grocery store. Now THAT drives me NUTS!
Old 07-04-2019, 07:49 AM
Registered Member

I switched from Comfort to Sport and that seems to minimize the lag.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:08 AM
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
minimize the pain

Originally Posted by Lend27 View Post
I switched from Comfort to Sport and that seems to minimize the lag.
Right,
and go one step further, as I posted above "I have found that if I turn off the CMBS (by your left knee, lower left pushbutton, hold it for a few seconds until you see a yellow indicator in the upper right side of your dash), that the throttle delay is more tolerable. (BTW, I always have the RDM off, the upper left button)".
These all have influence on the throttle I think.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:50 AM
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Funz51 View Post
Right,
and go one step further, as I posted above "I have found that if I turn off the CMBS (by your left knee, lower left pushbutton, hold it for a few seconds until you see a yellow indicator in the upper right side of your dash), that the throttle delay is more tolerable. (BTW, I always have the RDM off, the upper left button)".
These all have influence on the throttle I think.
CMBS? Collision Management Braking System? RDM? Random Death Match?
Old 07-04-2019, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

LOL

CMBS = Collision Mitigation Braking System

RDM = Road Departure Mitigation

LKS = Lane Keeping Assist

It shouldn't affect throttle response ( nor should CMBS ), but given the underwhelming processing capabilities of the vehicle and the bazillion lines of code in all its nanny systems, who knows?
Old 07-09-2019, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I've noticed the same hesitation on both the '18 and '19 RDX, so I reckon it has to do with transmission programming. Anyway, it's very annoying and can be dangerous when trying to merge with traffic. What I experience is that after I brake to turn a corner or slow to merge into traffic and then try to accelerate, there's no response for a second or two. I've noticed that driving in "S" seems to help.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Now that I've driven the car for a few weeks, I can report back. I haven't experienced much hesitation these days... depends on traffic flow and speed. I notice that hesitation mostly appears when you slow down to around 5-15 mph. Above that, and it fades as the speed increases. I find keeping the transmission in "S" mode generally improves response except for that 5-15 mph range. From a stop, there is no hesitation. No significant hesitation at "highway" speeds. Mainly in the city below 30 mph, and mostly in the 5-15 mph range. Anyone have similar observations?
Old 07-12-2019, 03:25 AM
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I havenít noticed any acceleration hesitation after braking on my 2020 with a manufactured date of 6/2019. What are the symptoms? Braking from 50-60km/h to 25-30km/h and then accelerating? How hard am I braking?
Old 07-12-2019, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Moderately hard braking down to half your original speed, ending up at 10-30 km/h (60 to 30, 40 to 20, 30 to 15). Then accelerate. Not panic stop, but not gradual either.

Comfort drive mode and D transmission mode seems to produce more hesitation than Sport and S.

I wish I had a data logger.