Notices

Locking a running RDX

Old 01-15-2019, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Locking a running RDX

If I want to keep my car running so it continues to heat up while I leave it for a minute or two, but want to lock the door so nobody can steal it, is there a way to lock it? I have not found a way.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think so. Unless you use the remote start either the app or the key, but then you don't get to specify the temperture, it automatically sets it in the middle.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:54 PM

Received 5,938 Likes on 4,760 Posts
Sounds like remote start is what you need
Old 01-15-2019, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 287 Posts
Did you try locking it with the remote out of the car by pushing the button?

If that doesnít work, did you try removing the physical key and using that to lock the door with the remote out of the car?
Old 01-16-2019, 10:38 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
That's weird...my Jeep allows me to lock the door by pressing the button on the outside door handle, even if the engine is running. As long as I have the key with me, this always works. I'm surprised the RDX doesn't allow that.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I did it by accident at a Home Depot. I was new to the car and parked the car, put the transmission in "P" did not hit the engine start/stop button exited the car, used the lock/unlock button on the door and walked away. The car beeped a couple of times and I went back to the car and the door was locked and I did not notice that the engine was still running. Came back out about 20 minutes later, unlock the car using the handle and got in and then noticed that the car was still running. I was shocked and concerned about my stupidity. I had only had the car about a week and was in a big learning mode. I was putting the car in "park" then pressing the engine on/off button, the way the salesman showed me, only to realize after tis incident that just pressing the on/off button automatically puts the car in park.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom2 View Post
That's weird...my Jeep allows me to lock the door by pressing the button on the outside door handle, even if the engine is running. As long as I have the key with me, this always works. I'm surprised the RDX doesn't allow that.
for me personally don't like the idea having the engine running unattended, simply because what happen if you forget your engine is still running for period of time?, that's why remote start will shut the engine off after what ever the default is set for 5 or 10 min...

The following users liked this post:
NooYawkuh (07-12-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Received 240 Likes on 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Yotrek View Post
for me personally don't like the idea having the engine running unattended,...
And don't overlook the fact that in many jurisdictions it's illegal.

The following 2 users liked this post by MI-RDX:
pilozm (01-16-2019), zroger73 (01-17-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 12:41 PM

Received 5,938 Likes on 4,760 Posts
for me personally don't like the idea having the engine running unattended, simply because what happen if you forget your engine is still running for period of time?, .
If you're parking in the garage, chances are, you'll risk carbon monoxide poisoning..

if you're not, engine will just run until it's out of gas.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX View Post
And don't overlook the fact that in many jurisdictions it's illegal.
Originally Posted by thoiboi View Post
If you're parking in the garage, chances are, you'll risk carbon monoxide poisoning..

Absolutely TRUE ...

Old 01-16-2019, 01:22 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
for me personally don't like the idea having the engine running unattended, simply because what happen if you forget your engine is still running for period of time?, that's why remote start will shut the engine off after what ever the default is set for 5 or 10 min...
I don't know if the engine will eventually shut off or not. I only use it occasionally during the winter if I run into a convenience store for a minute. In past cars, I'd do the same, but I'd risk having my car stolen because the keys were in in with the doors unlocked. At least with the Jeep, the key is in my pocket and the door is locked.

BTW, my remote start also times out at 15 minutes. It allows one restart, which is good for another 15 minutes. After that, remote start is disabled until the key is back inside the vehicle again.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:58 PM
EFR
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Oh..thank you for writing that...I did the same thing at a fast food place....got out, pushed lock on FOB...a bunch of beeps (why is it beeping at me now???)...went on my way. Came back, unlocked, got in....steering wheel is warm...why is it warm? And then I realize the tach is going (why would that be?). Yep, running, OMG. I don't even know if it locked when I left, I just know I felt like a complete idiot. The problem...the FOB. I just can't get used to not having a key, turning a car off, getting out, the usual stuff. My wife loves telling this story over and over. Glad to see someone else did it. If it didn't lock...lucky the car eas still there when I got back.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:22 AM
WTF?

Received 344 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by mrblase View Post
I did it by accident at a Home Depot. I was new to the car and parked the car, put the transmission in "P" did not hit the engine start/stop button exited the car, used the lock/unlock button on the door and walked away. The car beeped a couple of times and I went back to the car and the door was locked and I did not notice that the engine was still running. Came back out about 20 minutes later, unlock the car using the handle and got in and then noticed that the car was still running. I was shocked and concerned about my stupidity. I had only had the car about a week and was in a big learning mode. I was putting the car in "park" then pressing the engine on/off button, the way the salesman showed me, only to realize after tis incident that just pressing the on/off button automatically puts the car in park.
Made my day!

Originally Posted by thoiboi View Post

What about auto start/stop? Should take awhile to burn a tank at intermittent idle.

Oh. And there goes saving gas...
Old 07-10-2019, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A solution, kinda.

What I do is roll down the drivers window and get out of the car with the key. Then I shut the door and lock it through the window and roll the window up. When I come back, I unlock the door with the manual key. This isnít the cleanest method, but it works!

I use this method anytime I bring my dog with me and itís too hot out to leave him with the car off.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tested today and you can leave it running and lock the car
The following users liked this post:
ChUcK DoGG (07-12-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmij View Post
Tested today and you can leave it running and lock the car
How? When I leave it runnng and hit lock on the Fob, it does not lock.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:14 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 168 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanax View Post
See post #14.

Other option is to get out of the parked car (with engine running), close the driver door, enter through the rear (driver side) door and manually lock the driver door (using the lever), make sure the lever for the rear door (which you entered through) is in lock position too, get out of the car through the rear door and close it.

Last edited by Comfy; 07-11-2019 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Wanax View Post
Roll the window down and manually lock it from the inside of the door. Then roll the window up
Old 07-12-2019, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by ChUcK DoGG View Post
I use this method anytime I bring my dog with me and itís too hot out to leave him with the car off.
Where I live, leaving a pet or a child unattended in a car, running or otherwise, is against the law. Probably is in most places.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

Huh?

Originally Posted by ChUcK DoGG View Post
Roll the window down and manually lock it from the inside of the door. Then roll the window up

How do you roll the window up from the outside once you lock the car through the window? It seems like it might hurt your arm once the window gets pretty far up.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
I used to lock my '86 Accord and my 2001 CL with the engine and A/C running when I made rest stops traveling with my dog in the hot summertime.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by RDXguy View Post
How do you roll the window up from the outside once you lock the car through the window? It seems like it might hurt your arm once the window gets pretty far up.
All the windows roll up all the way once you get them started with a full pull. Half pull lets you start and stop.

My old Honda only had that on the driver's window. When I first got the car, I remember thinking GEEZ, am I so lazy I can't hold the switch until the window closes or opens? Before long, I was wondering GEEZ, why didn't they add that to all the windows?
Old 07-13-2019, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by RDXguy View Post
Its an auto up window. Just auto roll the window up and move your arm.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

[QUOTE=ChUcK DoGG;16451444]What I do is roll down the drivers window and get out of the car with the key. Then I shut the door and lock it through the window and roll the window up. When I come back, I unlock the door with the manual key. This isnít the cleanest method, but it works!

I tried this method and it does work. My new question is why wonít the remote unlock the door afterwards. Why must you use the physical key?