AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX (2019+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/)
-   -   Locking a running RDX (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/locking-running-rdx-976447/)

RDXguy 01-15-2019 03:28 PM

Locking a running RDX

If I want to keep my car running so it continues to heat up while I leave it for a minute or two, but want to lock the door so nobody can steal it, is there a way to lock it? I have not found a way.

Ender01 01-15-2019 04:37 PM

I don't think so. Unless you use the remote start either the app or the key, but then you don't get to specify the temperture, it automatically sets it in the middle.

thoiboi 01-15-2019 06:54 PM

Sounds like remote start is what you need

Madd Dog 01-15-2019 07:02 PM

Did you try locking it with the remote out of the car by pushing the button?

If that doesn’t work, did you try removing the physical key and using that to lock the door with the remote out of the car?

Tom2 01-16-2019 10:38 AM

That's weird...my Jeep allows me to lock the door by pressing the button on the outside door handle, even if the engine is running. As long as I have the key with me, this always works. I'm surprised the RDX doesn't allow that.

mrblase 01-16-2019 12:01 PM

I did it by accident at a Home Depot. I was new to the car and parked the car, put the transmission in "P" did not hit the engine start/stop button exited the car, used the lock/unlock button on the door and walked away. The car beeped a couple of times and I went back to the car and the door was locked and I did not notice that the engine was still running. Came back out about 20 minutes later, unlock the car using the handle and got in and then noticed that the car was still running. I was shocked and concerned about my stupidity. I had only had the car about a week and was in a big learning mode. I was putting the car in "park" then pressing the engine on/off button, the way the salesman showed me, only to realize after tis incident that just pressing the on/off button automatically puts the car in park.

Yotrek 01-16-2019 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tom2 (Post 16366424)
That's weird...my Jeep allows me to lock the door by pressing the button on the outside door handle, even if the engine is running. As long as I have the key with me, this always works. I'm surprised the RDX doesn't allow that.

for me personally don't like the idea having the engine running unattended, simply because what happen if you forget your engine is still running for period of time?, that's why remote start will shut the engine off after what ever the default is set for 5 or 10 min...

MI-RDX 01-16-2019 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Yotrek (Post 16366502)
for me personally don't like the idea having the engine running unattended,...

And don't overlook the fact that in many jurisdictions it's illegal.

thoiboi 01-16-2019 12:41 PM

for me personally don't like the idea having the engine running unattended, simply because what happen if you forget your engine is still running for period of time?, .

If you're parking in the garage, chances are, you'll risk carbon monoxide poisoning..

if you're not, engine will just run until it's out of gas.

Yotrek 01-16-2019 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by MI-RDX (Post 16366531)
And don't overlook the fact that in many jurisdictions it's illegal.

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 16366536)
If you're parking in the garage, chances are, you'll risk carbon monoxide poisoning..

Absolutely TRUE ...

Tom2 01-16-2019 01:22 PM

for me personally don't like the idea having the engine running unattended, simply because what happen if you forget your engine is still running for period of time?, that's why remote start will shut the engine off after what ever the default is set for 5 or 10 min...

I don't know if the engine will eventually shut off or not. I only use it occasionally during the winter if I run into a convenience store for a minute. In past cars, I'd do the same, but I'd risk having my car stolen because the keys were in in with the doors unlocked. At least with the Jeep, the key is in my pocket and the door is locked.

BTW, my remote start also times out at 15 minutes. It allows one restart, which is good for another 15 minutes. After that, remote start is disabled until the key is back inside the vehicle again.

EFR 01-16-2019 05:58 PM

Oh..thank you for writing that...I did the same thing at a fast food place....got out, pushed lock on FOB...a bunch of beeps (why is it beeping at me now???)...went on my way. Came back, unlocked, got in....steering wheel is warm...why is it warm? And then I realize the tach is going (why would that be?). Yep, running, OMG. I don't even know if it locked when I left, I just know I felt like a complete idiot. The problem...the FOB. I just can't get used to not having a key, turning a car off, getting out, the usual stuff. My wife loves telling this story over and over. Glad to see someone else did it. If it didn't lock...lucky the car eas still there when I got back.

Midnight Mystery 01-17-2019 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by mrblase (Post 16366492)
I did it by accident at a Home Depot. I was new to the car and parked the car, put the transmission in "P" did not hit the engine start/stop button exited the car, used the lock/unlock button on the door and walked away. The car beeped a couple of times and I went back to the car and the door was locked and I did not notice that the engine was still running. Came back out about 20 minutes later, unlock the car using the handle and got in and then noticed that the car was still running. I was shocked and concerned about my stupidity. I had only had the car about a week and was in a big learning mode. I was putting the car in "park" then pressing the engine on/off button, the way the salesman showed me, only to realize after tis incident that just pressing the on/off button automatically puts the car in park.

:rofl: Made my day!

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 16366536)

What about auto start/stop? Should take awhile to burn a tank at intermittent idle.

Oh. And there goes saving gas...

ChUcK DoGG 07-10-2019 06:51 PM

A solution, kinda.

What I do is roll down the drivers window and get out of the car with the key. Then I shut the door and lock it through the window and roll the window up. When I come back, I unlock the door with the manual key. This isn’t the cleanest method, but it works!

I use this method anytime I bring my dog with me and it’s too hot out to leave him with the car off.

Jimmij 07-10-2019 08:07 PM

Tested today and you can leave it running and lock the car

Wanax 07-11-2019 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmij (Post 16451495)
Tested today and you can leave it running and lock the car

How? When I leave it runnng and hit lock on the Fob, it does not lock.

Comfy 07-11-2019 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Wanax (Post 16452101)

See post #14.

Other option is to get out of the parked car (with engine running), close the driver door, enter through the rear (driver side) door and manually lock the driver door (using the lever), make sure the lever for the rear door (which you entered through) is in lock position too, get out of the car through the rear door and close it.

ChUcK DoGG 07-12-2019 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Wanax (Post 16452101)

Roll the window down and manually lock it from the inside of the door. Then roll the window up

NooYawkuh 07-12-2019 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by ChUcK DoGG (Post 16451444)
I use this method anytime I bring my dog with me and it’s too hot out to leave him with the car off.

Where I live, leaving a pet or a child unattended in a car, running or otherwise, is against the law. Probably is in most places.

RDXguy 07-12-2019 11:42 AM

Huh?

Originally Posted by ChUcK DoGG (Post 16452288)
Roll the window down and manually lock it from the inside of the door. Then roll the window up

How do you roll the window up from the outside once you lock the car through the window? It seems like it might hurt your arm once the window gets pretty far up.

robnalex 07-12-2019 02:15 PM

I used to lock my '86 Accord and my 2001 CL with the engine and A/C running when I made rest stops traveling with my dog in the hot summertime.

NooYawkuh 07-12-2019 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by RDXguy (Post 16452509)
How do you roll the window up from the outside once you lock the car through the window? It seems like it might hurt your arm once the window gets pretty far up.

All the windows roll up all the way once you get them started with a full pull. Half pull lets you start and stop.

My old Honda only had that on the driver's window. When I first got the car, I remember thinking GEEZ, am I so lazy I can't hold the switch until the window closes or opens? Before long, I was wondering GEEZ, why didn't they add that to all the windows? :D

ChUcK DoGG 07-13-2019 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by RDXguy (Post 16452509)

Its an auto up window. Just auto roll the window up and move your arm.

RDXguy 07-14-2019 10:45 PM

[QUOTE=ChUcK DoGG;16451444]What I do is roll down the drivers window and get out of the car with the key. Then I shut the door and lock it through the window and roll the window up. When I come back, I unlock the door with the manual key. This isn’t the cleanest method, but it works!

I tried this method and it does work. My new question is why won’t the remote unlock the door afterwards. Why must you use the physical key?

retep222 07-28-2019 07:29 PM

[QUOTE=RDXguy;16453540]

Originally Posted by ChUcK DoGG (Post 16451444)
What I do is roll down the drivers window and get out of the car with the key. Then I shut the door and lock it through the window and roll the window up. When I come back, I unlock the door with the manual key. This isn’t the cleanest method, but it works!

I tried this method and it does work. My new question is why won’t the remote unlock the door afterwards. Why must you use the physical key?

When you use this manual locking method does your trunk lock or does it open with the button above the license plate?