Leatherette seats best for dogs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 08:37 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leatherette seats best for dogs?

I’ve read that in general leather seats tend to get scratched up more easily by dogs than leatherette. We have a 75lb dog that rides in the back seat about 5x per week as we drive to a nearby dog park & walking trails. Anyone have experience with your animals and either type of seats on your RDX?

We are trying to sort out if we should get the Technology package vs. the Advanced.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2019, 10:17 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Tech and Advance have the same leather interior.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:25 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by MrJames
Tech and Advance have the same leather interior.
Most of which is actually high-grade vinyl ( "leatherette" or "Alcantara" ), aside from the central portion of the front seats. I'm not sure if the 2nd-row seats have ANY natural leather, but if they do it's heavily coated with plastic and is completely unlike the fragile high-grade aniline dyed leather you might find as an option in some European brands.

If you are worried about it, throw down a blanket or invest in a seat cover or "dog hammock".

Another option is to confine Fido to the cargo area, with a barrier if necessary.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:39 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Yeah, I thought most of the Acura seats were just "leather-trimmed". It's kind of deceptive but seems to have worked for years. Most people don't know most of the interior is actually not leather.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Regardless of the material, whether it be real leather or vinyl, your doggo is going to tear up the seats something fierce. Buy a dedicated animal seat cover and get whatever model you want. Also as mentioned, only the base model has leatherette seats. So save yourself the grief and either confine the dog to the hatch or get a seat cover.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:52 AM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
They make a oem seat coverPart # / DescriptionPrice08P32-TJB-210 / Cover, Seat (2ND Row)
$179.28

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-p...econd-row-scat
Old 02-26-2019, 12:42 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I bought this cover and ended up returning it. I attempted to install it and it was such a PITA. I wanted it because we're expecting and I wanted to make sure my red leather seats wouldn't get ruined. In the end I ended purchasing a cheaper alternative off amazon for my baby seat.

Besides the installation, I will say the material is thick and resilient so it will definitely protect your dog from tearing up the seat. Just wish I had the patience to install it lol.

Originally Posted by Achance
They make a oem seat coverPart # / DescriptionPrice08P32-TJB-210 / Cover, Seat (2ND Row)
$179.28

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-p...econd-row-scat
Old 02-26-2019, 12:51 PM

I have it in my wife’s 15 pilot. It definitely takes 2 people to pull it on.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:07 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by starlord
I bought this cover and ended up returning it. I attempted to install it and it was such a PITA. I wanted it because we're expecting and I wanted to make sure my red leather seats wouldn't get ruined. In the end I ended purchasing a cheaper alternative off amazon for my baby seat.

Besides the installation, I will say the material is thick and resilient so it will definitely protect your dog from tearing up the seat. Just wish I had the patience to install it lol.
Originally Posted by Achance
I have it in my wife’s 15 pilot. It definitely takes 2 people to pull it on.
It looks like it's custom fitted and fits tight. Can you describe the material? Kind of pricey but we have "big dogs" too. They would slide a lot on the leather in my Pilot.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
It looks like it's custom fitted and fits tight. Can you describe the material? Kind of pricey but we have "big dogs" too. They would slide a lot on the leather in my Pilot.

it's neoprene like a diving suit
The following users liked this post:
NooYawkuh (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 03:40 PM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
Acura claims the leather is Milano Premium Leather. This is different from the 2nd generation descriptions. So is Acura misrepresenting when they claim the leather seats are premium and one of the featured upgrades in the 2019 RDX?
Old 02-26-2019, 04:18 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by romer
Acura claims the leather is Milano Premium Leather. This is different from the 2nd generation descriptions. So is Acura misrepresenting when they claim the leather seats are premium and one of the featured upgrades in the 2019 RDX?
Corinthian leather > Milano leather!

"Perforated Milano Leather
Select Acura interiors are crafted with top grain Milano leather for a finish that’s as soft as leather can get while remaining highly durable. For passenger comfort, perforation accommodates our Advance Package’s heated and cooling ventilation design with utmost style."
- https://www.acura.com/design/modals/...milano-leather

"Seating material in the RDX has received special scrutiny in keeping with the crossover's luxury mission. Synthetic leather is offered in the RDX. In the RDX with Technology Package, A-Spec and Advance Package, special full-grain Milano leather is used. Made with young North American hides, this leather has a more premium look and feel and gives the seats a long-lasting, precisely tailored look." - https://hondanews.com/releases/2019-...s-kit-interior

Base - Pebble grain leatherette with color-matched stitching. (In other words, monotone vinyl like the back seat of a police cruiser - the Civic has nicer seats.)

Technology - Premium full-grain Milano Leather seating surfaces with perforated center panels and contrasting stitching. (There's real leather on the tops of the seat bottoms and fronts of the seat backs both front and rear, but you'll never see or feel it because it's coated with dyes and protective layers.)

A-Spec - Premium full-grain Milano Leather seating surfaces with Ultrasuede® perforated center and adjacent panels, and contrasting stitching and piping. (Ultrasuede is a synthetic material made from polyester and polyurethane. There's less real leather in the A-Spec trim than in the Technology trim. SURPRISE!)

Advance - Premium full-grain Milano Leather seating surfaces with perforated center panel and perforated adjacent panels with contrasting stitching and piping. (The same amount of leather as in the Technology trim, but adds contrasting piping.)
Old 02-26-2019, 04:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Corinthian Leather = Marketing term created for Chrysler - not a real product

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corinthian_leather

Milano Leather = Real leather processed to give a more consistent, and potentially custom, finish

https://www.quora.com/What-is-milano-leather-Is-it-real-or-artificial
Old 02-26-2019, 04:59 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Corinthian Leather = Marketing term created for Chrysler - not a real product

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corinthian_leather
Relax. I know that! Just being funny. Wanted to see how many people remembered Ricardo in the Cordoba.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by zroger73
Relax. I know that! Just being funny. Wanted to see how many people remembered Ricardo in the Cordoba.
I seem to recall my parents having a discussion about getting that car because of those commercials. No need to speculate which of them was a Ricardo fan.
zroger73 (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 05:58 PM
Drifting

And just for fun:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...han/603958001/
Old 02-26-2019, 06:25 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
As AChance mentioned above, the material is similar feeling to a diving suit. It feels very durable and it is a very snug fit.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:31 PM
Skeptic

I don't know much about leather, in general, but most of the leathers I see nowadays (mainly in the dizzying multitude of bags, pocket books and purses my wife owns), are so extensively "processed" and finished, they're impossible to distinguish from vinyl or any other synthetic material. My wife has bags labeled "100% Leather" that don't look, feel or certainly smell at all like I think leather is s'posed ta.

Last edited by NooYawkuh; 02-26-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:51 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I want my leather from Milan, not Corinth, thank you very much.
zroger73 (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 08:01 PM
Drifting

Why doesn't my sunroof open like that?

As for "100% leather", there are different layers of natural leather, the most desirable ( and expensive ) being the outermost "full grain leather". Slices from deeper into the fibrous dermis are traditionally used for "suede" or "nubuck", but if you get it nice and wet and smash it in a press and paint it with plastic, you could probably pass it off as "real leather" as it would, in fact, be "100% leather" ( aside from the coating ).

The richest, most natural feeling ( and smelling ) leather will be aniline dyed to saturate the full thickness of the leather with the colorant, and is often left uncoated or given a light coating. This type of full-grain leather scratches easily, although the scratches "wipe out" because the leather that the scratch penetrates is dyed, and the leather will smooth out with wear and exposure to human skin oils. In contrast, surface treated leather is often not full-thickness dyed, so scratches will be the light tan color of the natural un-dyed leather. And plastic doesn't mend itself, whether it's painted onto fabric ( vinyl upholstery ) or onto some form of "leather".

Full disclosure: I grew up in the Tandy/Radio Shack era, and for a few years I thought it was cool to get real full-grain leather wet and carve interesting patterns into it. ( Tandy was a DIY leather-crafting merchandiser ). This coincided with owning a horse and western style trail riding, although I never quite progressed to fashioning my own saddle. Or my own horse.

Last edited by Wander; 02-26-2019 at 08:05 PM.
zroger73 (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 08:10 PM
Skeptic

At least Acura is environmentally and socially conscientious enough not to use naugahyde. It's outrageous that the nauga still is not a protected species.
The following 2 users liked this post by NooYawkuh:
Wander (02-26-2019), zroger73 (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 09:01 PM
Pro

Poor naugas.

The good thing about most automotive-grade leather is that because it's so heavily coated with UV-stabilized vinyl, all that's really needed to maintain it is a regular vacuum and wipe-down with a damp towel. Squirt some 303 or other vinyl/plastic "protectant" on it if you wish, but it's moot to spend a lot of money on fancy "leather" cleaners and conditioners because they can't reach the leather. Automotive glass naturally filters out almost all the harmful UV rays - so keep your windows closed. With that said, I like using Lexol leather conditioner on occasion if for no other reason than it has a leather-like stink to it.

The following 2 users liked this post by zroger73:
NooYawkuh (02-26-2019), Wander (02-26-2019)