Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > AcuraZine RDX Community > Third Generation RDX (2019+)
Reload this Page >

Just sat in the 2019 RDX Advance with a rep from corporate for 30 minutes

Notices

Just sat in the 2019 RDX Advance with a rep from corporate for 30 minutes

 
Old 05-24-2018, 01:04 PM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Age: 35
Posts: 104
Likes: 0
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Talking Just sat in the 2019 RDX Advance with a rep from corporate for 30 minutes

Where do I begin. (I live in NJ)
  1. All information will be officially released May 29th.
  2. MPG (Not official) romp on it and you get 19. Cruise on the highway (Like me) 28-29+ average!
    1. People have seen way above EPA on the Accord 2.0T w/10spd auto on the highway and it looks like this will transition to the RDX as well.
  3. Cargo space, noticeably larger than my 13 RDX and flatter. I just drove the MDX sport hybrid and I think the RDX will have enough space with out having to go up in size AND the MPG's will be close!
  4. HUD is like a wizard casting a spell, everything is controlled through the steering wheel and you click down on the scroll wheel to select what you want.
  5. Infotainment system is stupid easy to use and super fast.
  6. The seats are so comfortable and have so many adjustments! Even the passenger seat's control's show up on the big screen and show you what part of the seat you are moving. It is like nothing I've even seen!
    1. Auto cooled and heater seats are great. Even at idle i felt the cold air on my bum!
  7. Foot activated lift gate. Standard on the advanced trim but, CAN BE ADDED AS AN ACCESSORY TO ANY OTHER!
  8. Speaking of the lift gate. You can program it the the height you want it to open to. Simple raise to the height you want, hold the button down for about 10 seconds and it will beep at you to let you know the height has been set.
  9. I didn't get to drive it but i will relay what the dealer manager said (Had the biggest smile on his face like a kid and he had to be 50-55 years old). After 23 years of working for Acura and driving everything from the Legend to the MDX, this is by far, the best handling, driving, looking, comfort, technology and use of storage that i have ever seen. We are going to sell them faster than we can build them.

Minor bad news. I can live without both.
  1. No power folding mirrors.
  2. No power adjusted steering wheel.

Over all this is going to be class leading in every category but the 2 items mentioned above.
If this the the direction the company is going to... I cannot wait to see what they do to the ILX TLX RLX MDX in the years to come.

Feel free to ask me any questions that might help me jog my memory.
deanoatkinson is offline  
The following 10 users liked this post by deanoatkinson:
Froid (05-24-2018), idgystinks (05-24-2018), losiglow (05-24-2018), mapleloaf (05-25-2018), ostrich (05-25-2018), r1ckster (05-24-2018), superblast (05-27-2018), Tony Pac (05-24-2018), TSX69 (05-25-2018), ultramart (05-25-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 01:07 PM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Age: 50
Posts: 640
Likes: 0
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
Wow! An adjustable height lift gate???? Welcome to the year 2010.... Had that on my 2004 Touareg. Also a car in this class should have a power adjustable steering wheel and folding mirrors. Much cheaper cars offer those features nowadays.
chickdr is offline  
Old 05-24-2018, 01:12 PM
  #3  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Age: 35
Posts: 104
Likes: 0
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Wow! An adjustable height lift gate???? Welcome to the year 2010.... Had that on my 2004 Touareg. Also a car in this class should have a power adjustable steering wheel and folding mirrors. Much cheaper cars offer those features nowadays.
Totally agree and i gave the guy from Acura a piece of my mind on that. He tried to show me "But look they fold both ways if something hits them!"

I said, yeah like my wife hitting my house that scraped the mirror and the house instead of being able to hit a button to fold them in. He didn't understand that people use it to pull into their garage, not just for on the street safety.
deanoatkinson is offline  
Old 05-24-2018, 01:26 PM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
FLYGUY31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Valley Forge, PA
Posts: 411
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts
I sat in one today also for 30 mins in PA. I like the auto ventilated seat feature. Many of your thoughts mirror mine. Overall very nice new model. It's going to sell very well, which is good and bad. You won't see many discounts on this model for a few months.
FLYGUY31 is offline  
Old 05-24-2018, 01:27 PM
  #5  
Registered Member
 
FLYGUY31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Valley Forge, PA
Posts: 411
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts
The sales rep also told me you could do remote start through your phone through the Acura App. He wasn't sure if that was just for the Advance model.
FLYGUY31 is offline  
Old 05-24-2018, 02:27 PM
  #6  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: America
Age: 55
Posts: 130
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Honda Civic and my current 2.0T Accord Sport have remote start standard. Am I to understand the luxury division Acura does not have that on new RDX?

That makes little sense to me.
idgystinks is offline  
Old 05-24-2018, 02:37 PM
  #7  
Registered Member
 
birdonamission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 571
Received 142 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by idgystinks View Post
Honda Civic and my current 2.0T Accord Sport have remote start standard. Am I to understand the luxury division Acura does not have that on new RDX?

That makes little sense to me.
He said remote start via the Acura app on the phone, which would be great as an option besides doing remote start on the fob.
birdonamission is offline  
Old 05-24-2018, 03:00 PM
  #8  
Registered Member
 
Tony Pac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,125
Received 254 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by deanoatkinson View Post
Where do I begin. (I live in NJ)
  1. All information will be officially released May 29th.
  2. MPG (Not official) romp on it and you get 19. Cruise on the highway (Like me) 28-29+ average!
    1. People have seen way above EPA on the Accord 2.0T w/10spd auto on the highway and it looks like this will transition to the RDX as well.
  3. Cargo space, noticeably larger than my 13 RDX and flatter. I just drove the MDX sport hybrid and I think the RDX will have enough space with out having to go up in size AND the MPG's will be close!
  4. HUD is like a wizard casting a spell, everything is controlled through the steering wheel and you click down on the scroll wheel to select what you want.
  5. Infotainment system is stupid easy to use and super fast.
  6. The seats are so comfortable and have so many adjustments! Even the passenger seat's control's show up on the big screen and show you what part of the seat you are moving. It is like nothing I've even seen!
    1. Auto cooled and heater seats are great. Even at idle i felt the cold air on my bum!
  7. Foot activated lift gate. Standard on the advanced trim but, CAN BE ADDED AS AN ACCESSORY TO ANY OTHER!
  8. Speaking of the lift gate. You can program it the the height you want it to open to. Simple raise to the height you want, hold the button down for about 10 seconds and it will beep at you to let you know the height has been set.
  9. I didn't get to drive it but i will relay what the dealer manager said (Had the biggest smile on his face like a kid and he had to be 50-55 years old). After 23 years of working for Acura and driving everything from the Legend to the MDX, this is by far, the best handling, driving, looking, comfort, technology and use of storage that i have ever seen. We are going to sell them faster than we can build them.

Minor bad news. I can live without both.
  1. No power folding mirrors.
  2. No power adjusted steering wheel.

Over all this is going to be class leading in every category but the 2 items mentioned above.
If this the the direction the company is going to... I cannot wait to see what they do to the ILX TLX RLX MDX in the years to come.

Feel free to ask me any questions that might help me jog my memory.
Great summary!

Honestly the two items that you have mentioned aren't big deal. Every car has some minor cons. I think Acura hit the jackpot! RDX will be the car of the year...
Tony Pac is offline  
Old 05-24-2018, 03:44 PM
  #9  
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
losiglow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Age: 37
Posts: 3,268
Received 769 Likes on 544 Posts
I'm glad they're bringing back the SH-AWD. I was thinking about getting a 2G but I'm a bit bummed that they didn't offer the SH-AWD on it.
losiglow is online now  
Old 05-24-2018, 04:43 PM
  #10  
Registered Member
 
Madd Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: New Yorkie
Posts: 1,477
Received 394 Likes on 287 Posts
No power steering wheel controls means that they are not reset with the key-fob. My 10 1/2 year old BMW resets the steering wheel based on whether I or my wife is driving. I had hoped for that, and a button to bring in the side mirrors, since I always use it for my garage. My friends Kia Optima has it.
Madd Dog is offline  
Old 05-24-2018, 05:14 PM
  #11  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,495
Received 4,405 Likes on 3,314 Posts
I honestly could see them adding that stuff in at the MMC... if they gave us everything now, what would they do in three years?
TacoBello is offline  
Old 05-24-2018, 05:16 PM
  #12  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,495
Received 4,405 Likes on 3,314 Posts
That's one of the downsides in buying something brand new. The other being the unknown reliability with regards to everything. We all know the MMCs are always the better package to buy... but that's assuming people are willing to wait three years. And most here aren't. Being an early product adopter, you essentially have to accept compromises. There's no two ways about it.
TacoBello is offline  
Old 05-24-2018, 11:11 PM
  #13  
You'll Never Walk Alone
iTrader: (1)
 
iforyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Age: 32
Posts: 9,028
Received 572 Likes on 385 Posts
AHah just lease for 3 or 4 years and once it's up, get the MMC!

In Canada, the 2019 RDX in the upper trims get power folding mirrors.
iforyou is offline  
Old 05-25-2018, 01:04 AM
  #14  
Registered Member
 
mapleloaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 1,173
Received 545 Likes on 278 Posts
I find it odd that there is no power folding mirror feature in the U.S. I get the cold climate stuff being more common place for Canada, but mirrors...perhaps you'all have bigger garages? In general, things are unfolding as I imagined on the forum...initial excitement, then a little criticism, based on rumours, then regret and remorse that every feature people want isn't on the trim they would buy...and then, once pricing is confirmed, shock that Acura is charging a lot to get everything! To be followed by comments about better brands.....etc, etc, etc. But that's why we love the forum
mapleloaf is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
MTD (05-25-2018), superblast (05-27-2018), TacoBello (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 06:09 AM
  #15  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Age: 30
Posts: 19
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf View Post
I find it odd that there is no power folding mirror feature in the U.S. I get the cold climate stuff being more common place for Canada, but mirrors...perhaps you'all have bigger garages? In general, things are unfolding as I imagined on the forum...initial excitement, then a little criticism, based on rumours, then regret and remorse that every feature people want isn't on the trim they would buy...and then, once pricing is confirmed, shock that Acura is charging a lot to get everything! To be followed by comments about better brands.....etc, etc, etc. But that's why we love the forum
I understand the use case for getting in and out of a garage but that's not what it's for in Canada. When the snow fills the streets they become much narrower, which means parking on the street puts your car at risk of being hit as it's not tucked off to the side of the road. You'd be surprised how many people end up with a duct taped mirror hanging off their car by winter's end.
cmac1212 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
mapleloaf (05-28-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 09:51 AM
  #16  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,495
Received 4,405 Likes on 3,314 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf View Post
I find it odd that there is no power folding mirror feature in the U.S. I get the cold climate stuff being more common place for Canada, but mirrors...perhaps you'all have bigger garages? In general, things are unfolding as I imagined on the forum...initial excitement, then a little criticism, based on rumours, then regret and remorse that every feature people want isn't on the trim they would buy...and then, once pricing is confirmed, shock that Acura is charging a lot to get everything! To be followed by comments about better brands.....etc, etc, etc. But that's why we love the forum
I agree. I wanted to slap whoever was bitching about the lack of folding mirrors and power steering wheel. Apparently everyone is a bean counter at Acura and knows their profit margins and how much everything costs to implement. But then again, you could also tell them they could have those features for another 1500-2000 on top of the current pricing and all of a sudden it's too expensive now.

FFS. People want to get a Porsche equivalent, on a VW budget. Give your head a shake. The new RDX hits so many positives, I'm surprised people are that upset about some of the negatives... And let's be honest... Every car has negatives. You can't build one car to please everyone.
TacoBello is offline  
Old 05-25-2018, 09:58 AM
  #17  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Age: 32
Posts: 109
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I am disappointed about the folding mirrors as I have a narrow garage but I can park my MDX in there easily enough so this will actually be easier.

I will also miss the power telescopic steering wheel as I do love how it raises and lowers for you when entering/exiting the car. I'll be fine without that, and it's certainly not a complaint, but it was a nice tough of luxury.
mcrompton is offline  
Old 05-25-2018, 10:18 AM
  #18  
Registered Member
 
birdonamission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 571
Received 142 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
I agree. I wanted to slap whoever was bitching about the lack of folding mirrors and power steering wheel. Apparently everyone is a bean counter at Acura and knows their profit margins and how much everything costs to implement. But then again, you could also tell them they could have those features for another 1500-2000 on top of the current pricing and all of a sudden it's too expensive now.

FFS. People want to get a Porsche equivalent, on a VW budget. Give your head a shake. The new RDX hits so many positives, I'm surprised people are that upset about some of the negatives... And let's be honest... Every car has negatives. You can't build one car to please everyone.
Since when are power-folding side-view mirrors Porsche equivalents on a VW budget? Freaking Kia has them! In 2016! Itís a legitimate question why the. SAME car in Canada canít have them in the U.S.

Find someone else to b-slap, or cut people with garage doors that arenít super wide a little break.

I still love the 2019 RDX and plan to buy one.

birdonamission is offline  
Old 05-25-2018, 10:39 AM
  #19  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,495
Received 4,405 Likes on 3,314 Posts
It's not. What you need to realize is that a certain price point, you can only cram so many features in. People complained about the fake metal and wood trims in the past- bam, we get real wood and metal now. But it's not free. It comes at a compromise to everything else. You can't have every single option and gimmick out on the market today in a 40-45k SUV. It physically cannot work that way.

And while some folks would have benefit with something like folding mirrors, Acura likely analyzed the market and decided it was a feature they weren't going to charge everyone for when only a small subset of the market actually needs them.

Bottom line is- we have no idea what anything costs Acura to produce. We have no idea what their profit margins are, and as such, we don't really have any right telling them what else they should have crammed into the car without changing it's price. The price is set based on market and market competition. If they jack their price even by 1200 bucks, they will be losing sales.

For the record- I wasn't referring to you in my previous post (it goes outside this thread). You are allowed to have gripes and wishes for the car. As you mentioned, none of it is enough to deter you from buying. It's those who have gripes and then suggest "what acura should have actually done" is what annoys me... because these people really don't have any insider insight. None of us do. Not even the dealerships.
TacoBello is offline  
Old 05-25-2018, 11:01 AM
  #20  
Registered Member
 
birdonamission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 571
Received 142 Likes on 85 Posts
@Taco Bello

Thanks for your post. Understand everything you said.

Only thing that remains a mystery to me is how the RDX can have that feature in Canada but not in the U.S. Itís even in the 2019 manual someone posted on here. So itís already R&Díd and engineered into the production car, so now itís just needs to be right-priced for both markets. Iíd pay extra for the feature as an option if it were possible.

But... All good ó this car has a spot reserved in my garage, anyway...narrowish entrance, notwithstanding!! 😀👌🏼👍🏼
birdonamission is offline  
Old 05-25-2018, 11:05 AM
  #21  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,495
Received 4,405 Likes on 3,314 Posts
I seriously don't understand why Acura/Honda gives Canada more features than the US. I mean, I'm not complaining being on the better end of the deal, but, I'm surprised they go as far as to add features in one country, and take them away for the adjacent country. All I can imagine is it comes down to dollars and cents and what the majority of buyers are willing to pay for. It's all the bean counters!!!
TacoBello is offline  
The following users liked this post:
birdonamission (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 11:35 AM
  #22  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Age: 36
Posts: 88
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
I seriously don't understand why Acura/Honda gives Canada more features than the US. I mean, I'm not complaining being on the better end of the deal, but, I'm surprised they go as far as to add features in one country, and take them away for the adjacent country. All I can imagine is it comes down to dollars and cents and what the majority of buyers are willing to pay for. It's all the bean counters!!!
I think it's more marketing and positioning of RDX vs MDX instead of just pure costs and profits. They could easily bury that cost of folding mirrors and still manage to make money. Car makers do weird things between geographies and markets which never seem to make sense to car enthusiasts that want it all. Acura is not the only one that pulls this crap, they all do it.
jcardona1 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
birdonamission (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 06:23 PM
  #23  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Age: 56
Posts: 106
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Cargo Width At Wheel Housing

If anybody is scheduled to sit in one in the near future, it would be great if you could take a tape measure with you and measure cargo width between the wheel housing near the seats. Thanks.
MHarnois is offline  
Old 05-26-2018, 01:40 AM
  #24  
You'll Never Walk Alone
iTrader: (1)
 
iforyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Age: 32
Posts: 9,028
Received 572 Likes on 385 Posts
Haha Honda Canada has been nice to us. For the last gen Accord, people in the States were pissed that Honda didn't make a 4-cyl Accord Touring with 6MT. Guess that, that model was available in Canada.

Another example, the CTR in Canada has wireless charging, lanewatch, and heated mirrors, not so in the US :P

It's good to be a Honda fanboy here in Canada lol.
iforyou is offline  
The following users liked this post:
ostrich (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 02:58 PM
  #25  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 25
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by deanoatkinson View Post
Where do I begin. (I live in NJ)
  1. All information will be officially released May 29th.
  2. MPG (Not official) romp on it and you get 19. Cruise on the highway (Like me) 28-29+ average!
    1. People have seen way above EPA on the Accord 2.0T w/10spd auto on the highway and it looks like this will transition to the RDX as well.
  3. Cargo space, noticeably larger than my 13 RDX and flatter. I just drove the MDX sport hybrid and I think the RDX will have enough space with out having to go up in size AND the MPG's will be close!
  4. HUD is like a wizard casting a spell, everything is controlled through the steering wheel and you click down on the scroll wheel to select what you want.
  5. Infotainment system is stupid easy to use and super fast.
  6. The seats are so comfortable and have so many adjustments! Even the passenger seat's control's show up on the big screen and show you what part of the seat you are moving. It is like nothing I've even seen!
    1. Auto cooled and heater seats are great. Even at idle i felt the cold air on my bum!
  7. Foot activated lift gate. Standard on the advanced trim but, CAN BE ADDED AS AN ACCESSORY TO ANY OTHER!
  8. Speaking of the lift gate. You can program it the the height you want it to open to. Simple raise to the height you want, hold the button down for about 10 seconds and it will beep at you to let you know the height has been set.
  9. I didn't get to drive it but i will relay what the dealer manager said (Had the biggest smile on his face like a kid and he had to be 50-55 years old). After 23 years of working for Acura and driving everything from the Legend to the MDX, this is by far, the best handling, driving, looking, comfort, technology and use of storage that i have ever seen. We are going to sell them faster than we can build them.
Minor bad news. I can live without both.
  1. No power folding mirrors.
  2. No power adjusted steering wheel.
Over all this is going to be class leading in every category but the 2 items mentioned above.
If this the the direction the company is going to... I cannot wait to see what they do to the ILX TLX RLX MDX in the years to come.

Feel free to ask me any questions that might help me jog my memory.
Did you listen to the radio? With all the hype on the 3D ELS system I'd love to hear how it sounds. That's far more important to me than folding mirrors or a telescoping steering wheel.
md222 is offline  
Old 05-26-2018, 05:45 PM
  #26  
Carbon Bronze RDX
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Old Greenwich, CT
Age: 40
Posts: 99
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou View Post
Haha Honda Canada has been nice to us. For the last gen Accord, people in the States were pissed that Honda didn't make a 4-cyl Accord Touring with 6MT. Guess that, that model was available in Canada.

Another example, the CTR in Canada has wireless charging, lanewatch, and heated mirrors, not so in the US :P

It's good to be a Honda fanboy here in Canada lol.
on an exchange rate equalized basis, you pay a lot more up there for cars across the board I understand. not sure why?
Philbert is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
206er
Second Generation RDX (2013-2018)
75
06-10-2019 02:27 PM
lexus9810
Second Generation RDX (2013-2018)
26
08-31-2017 06:38 PM
mclovintsx
Car Parts for Sale
7
03-27-2016 11:13 PM
agranado
Ramblings
2
01-29-2006 08:55 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just sat in the 2019 RDX Advance with a rep from corporate for 30 minutes


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.