JD Power slams 19 RDX as 9th worst vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 04:04 PM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Oh, when I say "never had any problems with it," I don't mean "at all." I mean "no major ones." If I had to list everything I had a problem with, it would just be:

- The True Touch isn't hot. Not that it malfunctions for me, but it's not very responsive. I have maybe 7 presets and if I swipe to get to the next screen of presets, sometimes I'm swiping too lightly and it just shows the highlighted box moving to the left on the screen. I get that it has to differentiate between "I want to move on this screen" versus "I want to move to another screen," but it's not hot. I would prefer physical buttons for tuning stations and stuff.
- The parking sensors have gone off for no reason (that I can tell) maybe three or four times total. So I may be backing out of a space and it's on an incline and the sensor goes off. I can only assume that's because it read the incline as "approaching object," but who knows. It's not a constant thing.
- I don't like the huge BRAKE sign that flashes on the LED cluster. If I'm going to hit something, just brake. I don't need to read about it.

I think that's about all so far.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:48 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
A Kia? Probably not. Although I was this close to buying a Stinger GT. Probably would have if the dealership had a clue. The car itself is damn good. But a Genesis? Yeah, it's possible there will be a Genesis in my future. One of the best kept secrets in the auto industry.

Apparently you haven't been paying attention ... the Koreans aren't the depreciation champs they once were. Some models hold their value quite well.

Brother - in this case, if I was you, i would shut down my
acurazine account and run to Kia and Hyundai dealers and buy one of each

Why are you wasting your energy justifying your opinion? Just do it! Buy a Kia!

I am sure you won’t like this but I will take public transit and not pay $50K for a Kia. This is my opinion and I am not insulting anyone. If I buy a Kia, the price has to be around $20K max, above that
i cannot justify it to myself to pay more. Even if you come and tell me Kia’s engine is rolls Royce.

I have heard the same theory from BMW and Audi owners, they cannot justify to pay $50K for an Acura or Infiniti. I get their point and I don’t argue.

Last edited by Tony Pac; 06-22-2019 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:01 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
If there are issues in the first 90 days, it stands to reason that there are probably more issues down the line.

Too many people here are still hanging onto the old reputation of Hondas (and by association, Acuras) of being at the top of the reliability charts. That just isn't the case anymore, both an anecdotally and empirically. Anecdotally, my FIL's 2017 Accord has been in the shop for a defective seatbelt, a transmission leak, and a squeaky strut. Empirically, both CR and JD Power have Honda/Acura trending down the last few years. But this is just some grand conspiracy, right:?
I agree and I'm glad I have an HondaCare. My 2018 Pilot has 15K easy miles on it and has now been in the shop 3x. Once for a leaking seal in the rear differential, once for bad bearing in the climate control blower motor (had to be replaced) and once for the second row seat sounding like a spring going "boing" over bumps (rear seat bench needed to be replaced) and the third row seat squeaking over bumps (bolts holding the base needed to be torqued down to spec). Now I have a check engine light on, the moonroof feels like its binding when opening and closing and there's a new thump/clunk coming from the left rear shock absorber and so it will go in again. At 15K the entire vehicle is starting to feel "loose" with interior rattles.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Brother - in this case, if I was you, i would shut down my
acurazine account and run to Kia and Hyundai dealers and buy one of each

Why are you wasting your energy justifying your opinion? Just do it! Buy a Kia!

I am sure you won’t like this but I will take public transit and not pay $50K for a Kia. This is my opinion and I am not insulting anyone. If I buy a Kia, the price has to be around $20K max, above that
i cannot justify it to myself to pay more. Even if you come and tell me Kia’s engine is rolls Royce.

I have heard the same theory from BMW and Audi owners, they cannot justify to pay $50K for an Acura or Infiniti. I get their point and I don’t argue.
What, I'm not welcome here because I'm objective?

I'm not trying to justify anything, and I'm certainly not attempting to convert anybody to become a Kia fan. Frankly, I don't care who has a hatred with Korean vehicles, whether it's justified or not. I do have a problem with misinformation, however, and that's the only reason I engaged. Claims that JD Power is biased and paid for their ratings is just false. If Infiniti paid JDP, as you claim they did in your previous post, they did it for the same reason Acura and the other manufacturers do ... to get access to all the data along with approval to use it in advertising. Despite your made up claims, you cannot buy positive survey results from JDP. Period.

I get and respect brand loyalty, but somebody needs to speak up when the Acura pom-pom bearers flat out make stuff up to justify the RDX's struggles. News Flash: the car has problems. JD Power, Consumer Reports, Edmunds and all the others are not out to get Acura. Accept it. Unless you were personally involved in the design and engineering, I don't understand the overly-defensive attitude.

The following 2 users liked this post by HotRodW:
PWMDMD (06-22-2019), SandwichViking (06-24-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 08:04 AM
Banned

I'm not trying to justify anything, and I'm certainly not attempting to convert anybody to become a Kia fan. Frankly, I don't care who has a hatred with Korean vehicles, whether it's justified or not. I do have a problem with misinformation, however, and that's the only reason I engaged. Claims that JD Power is biased and paid for their ratings is just false. If Infiniti paid JDP, as you claim they did in your previous post, they did it for the same reason Acura and the other manufacturers do ... to get access to all the data along with approval to use it in advertising. Despite your made up claims, you cannot buy positive survey results from JDP. Period.

I get and respect brand loyalty, but somebody needs to speak up when the Acura pom-pom bearers flat out make stuff up to justify the RDX's struggles. News Flash: the car has problems. JD Power, Consumer Reports, Edmunds and all the others are not out to get Acura. Accept it. Unless you were personally involved in the design and engineering, I don't understand the overly-defensive attitude.
LOL, you're objective?

News flash to you: even before the irrelevant JD Power chart that purported to show how poor quality BMW and Land Rovers are in comparison to Kias and Chevrolets, nobody ever cared about JD Power charts or ever used them to make any decision ever. Every car manufacturer has JD Power awards because they give them out to everyone. It's a literally irrelevant award. Moreover, take a look at that commercial, where Chevrolet has won "more JD Power awards" than any manufacturer for four years running. Did you know that? Did you therefore go to look at Chevys? If not, then you're not objective, are you? The data is right there! What was wrong with you? Were the pom poms too heavy that day?

The fact is that you also know that your chart is irrelevant, so selectively citing it to show where Acura lands on it only highlights your lack of objectivity. If you're going to cite the chart, then the whole chart gets to be cited. You don't get to say "oh, ha ha, ignore the part about BMW and Jaguar ...just focus on the Acura line, OK? No no, I don't want to talk about the Volvo or Volkswagon, just Acura. No, stop, I'm not here to discuss Subarus, just Acuras." And then when you're asked what the chart means, it's always this vague, "oh, well, you know ...uh ..." No, I don't know. What does that chart mean? Does it mean that Kias are better than BMWs? "No, you're misinterpreting the chart." Well, that's weird because the chart means to you that Kias are better than Acuras. So why aren't Kias better than BMWs? "No no, just focus on the Acura line. I'm too objective for you!" LMAO
Old 06-22-2019, 08:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DriverOne
LOL, you're objective?

News flash to you: even before the irrelevant JD Power chart that purported to show how poor quality BMW and Land Rovers are in comparison to Kias and Chevrolets, nobody ever cared about JD Power charts or ever used them to make any decision ever. Every car manufacturer has JD Power awards because they give them out to everyone. It's a literally irrelevant award. Moreover, take a look at that commercial, where Chevrolet has won "more JD Power awards" than any manufacturer for four years running. Did you know that? Did you therefore go to look at Chevys? If not, then you're not objective, are you? The data is right there! What was wrong with you? Were the pom poms too heavy that day?

The fact is that you also know that your chart is irrelevant, so selectively citing it to show where Acura lands on it only highlights your lack of objectivity. If you're going to cite the chart, then the whole chart gets to be cited. You don't get to say "oh, ha ha, ignore the part about BMW and Jaguar ...just focus on the Acura line, OK? No no, I don't want to talk about the Volvo or Volkswagon, just Acura. No, stop, I'm not here to discuss Subarus, just Acuras." And then when you're asked what the chart means, it's always this vague, "oh, well, you know ...uh ..." No, I don't know. What does that chart mean? Does it mean that Kias are better than BMWs? "No, you're misinterpreting the chart." Well, that's weird because the chart means to you that Kias are better than Acuras. So why aren't Kias better than BMWs? "No no, just focus on the Acura line. I'm too objective for you!" LMAO
Good rant. What are you, 12?

You continue to talk about claims I never made. I never attempted to interpret the chart, and I'm not supporting any manufacturers. (Well, I'm actually supporting Acura. I just won't lie or makes stuff up to do it.) I posted the chart because it hadn't been posted, and it's kind of important in a discussion about the chart. I've said I don't put much stock in JDP ratings because of how they don't distinguish genuine problems from perceived problems, and I don't approve of their methods. It doesn't mean the data isn't accurate.

Oh, and it's Volkswagen. Trust your spell-checker.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:34 AM
Banned

Good rant. What are you, 12?

You continue to talk about claims I never made. I never attempted to interpret the chart, and I'm not supporting any manufacturers. (Well, I'm actually supporting Acura. I just won't lie or makes stuff up to do it.) I posted the chart because it hadn't been posted, and it's kind of important in a discussion about the chart. I've said I don't put much stock in JDP ratings because of how they don't distinguish genuine problems from perceived problems, and I don't approve of their methods. It doesn't mean the data isn't accurate.

Oh, and it's Volkswagen. Trust your spell-checker.
So, to summarize:
- You're posting the chart to post the chart.
- You're not making any attempt to interpret the chart and are making no claims about the chart.
- The chart has no relationship to anything.
- You neither support or do not support any manufacturers, other than Acura, which you now claim to support but say that other people who support Acura are cheerleaders.
- The data is accurate, but again, you don't want to say what the data means.

And then you claim that I'm 12, LMAO. You must be 5 then with that logic.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:56 AM
Burning Brakes

So, to summarize:
- You're posting the chart to post the chart.
- You're not making any attempt to interpret the chart and are making no claims about the chart.
- The chart has no relationship to anything.
- You neither support or do not support any manufacturers, other than Acura, which you now claim to support but say that other people who support Acura are cheerleaders.
- The data is accurate, but again, you don't want to say what the data means.

And then you claim that I'm 12, LMAO. You must be 5 then with that logic.
So you're 20, but with a serious reading comprehension problem? Got it.

I've already broken my troll-feeding rule on this one. You'll have to find somebody else to play with.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:01 AM
Banned

So you're 20, but with a serious reading comprehension problem? Got it.

I've already broken my troll-feeding rule on this one. You'll have to find somebody else to play with.
I like these generic insults you're making while I'm accurately reading your posts and you're trying to avoid your own words on each post because you realize how increasingly inane they are.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Like most cars, especially new models, the RDX has its share of problems. Infotainment and limp mode have more than a few people waiting for Acura to try to fix before buying. It seems to many that Acura is not the bulletproof manufacturer that it used to be. Even more frustrating is the Acura policy of "operating as designed" or "you are the first to report this issue".
The following 2 users liked this post by quantum7:
JacPac (06-23-2019), Outfitter (06-23-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 02:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Wife's 19 RDX Advance is 10 months old and 9K miles and overall the car is solid. A few squeaks and rattles, but it does what it is supposed to do without issues. Some things I really like are the seats are really nice, actually better than my ASPEC TLX seats. The few things that turn me off are the horrible brakes, too soft, you really need to lean in to them to get them to bite. I don’t like the new gauge cluster, it is laggy, wastes space and does not stay on the screen you leave it on when you turn car off. The rear suspension is way too firm. I had heart surgery and had to ride in the back for a few weeks and damn the rear suspension is firm and the ride in the back seat is far too firm. And while the new infotainment is OK, the screen is too squattiy and the Navi graphics still suck.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:43 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Meto
Have not taken a test drive as of yet, but my father in-law has a 2019 Santa Fe and it rides smooth as silk, so this can only be better in my opinion. Plus, my wife and I decided that we need to go back to a larger SUV with more cargo space and have had good luck with our Hyundai and the dealership is very professional. I am greatly disappointed with my Acura experience and maybe mine is just a lemon, but I took a large settlement from Acura for my issues, so I can use that to help put down money on the Palisade.
Just curious, can you elaborate on the large settlement you took from Acura?
Old 06-23-2019, 07:43 AM
AZ Community Team

You are most welcome to stay and comment. I just wanted to save you some time.

No car is perfect, we all know that. But I know numbers don’t lie. At the moment, if you proof me that RDX isn’t selling due to its poor quality, I won’t say a word. But I know my numbers and I follow the car industry trends and I can tell you that The RDX is a solid winner.

I am not a fanboy, I am telling you Acura TLX isn’t wow and I wouldn’t buy it at the moment. But RDX is beating German brands so this is a huge success for Acura.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:39 AM
Advanced

You are most welcome to stay and comment. I just wanted to save you some time.

No car is perfect, we all know that. But I know numbers don’t lie. At the moment, if you proof me that RDX isn’t selling due to its poor quality, I won’t say a word. But I know my numbers and I follow the car industry trends and I can tell you that The RDX is a solid winner.

I am not a fanboy, I am telling you Acura TLX isn’t wow and I wouldn’t buy it at the moment. But RDX is beating German brands so this is a huge success for Acura.
Just because it's selling well doesn't mean it's reliable.
The following users liked this post:
zroger73 (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 10:31 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
My volvo is in last spot....oh well....Guess I should really hate how it drives/handles..not. Really not sure why people care about these kind of reports....if your happy with your vehicle...its all that matters
Old 06-23-2019, 10:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
As I stated previously...we never keep anything past about 3 years so the RDX my wife is driving will probably be sold in the Spring of 2021. She loves the Infiniti Q50S and had a G37XS in the past which was a great car and very fun to drive. We will look at the Infiniti Q50S and the Genesis G70 which has received great reviews and many say it drives better than the BMW 3 series and beat the 3 series in several tests. There may be a few other options out there in another two years but these would be at the top of my list. I drove the Alfa Gulia several times before buying my Audi. Loved the Gulia but the infotainment system and some other features had a lot to be desired. I also just bought a 2019 RAM Limited Crew Cab 4X4 loaded to the max...MSRP was just shy of $69K and I LOVE IT! 2019 Truck of the Year and I was a GMC guy who had 2 Sierra Denali's in the past. Came real close to pulling the trigger on a 2019 GMC Sierra AT4 Loaded but all that plastic and hard seats turned me off and that had an MSRP of over $65K...it looked like a $25K Chevy Silverado inside...GM needs to step up their game.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by flames9
My volvo is in last spot....oh well....Guess I should really hate how it drives/handles..not. Really not sure why people care about these kind of reports....if your happy with your vehicle...its all that matters
My wife and I really liked the Volvo XC60...it came down to the RDX and XC60. Went with the RDX because my wife discovered that the Volvo was made in CHINA and she wanted nothing to do with a vehicle made in China so that was that. I believe now things have changed but I do like Volvo's and have owned one in the past...great vehicles and very safe!
Old 06-23-2019, 10:44 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by securityguy
My wife and I really liked the Volvo XC60...it came down to the RDX and XC60. Went with the RDX because my wife discovered that the Volvo was made in CHINA and she wanted nothing to do with a vehicle made in China so that was that. I believe now things have changed but I do like Volvo's and have owned one in the past...great vehicles and very safe!
Not to derail this topic...The XC 60 line up is shifting back to Sweden due to tarriffs...and reports state the ones made in China actually are better made than those built elsewhere.....then again, who really belives reports,lol I just know no issues with mine (yet) and the RDX is a winner......Let GMC keep those awards..I just know there wont be a GMC ever in my drive way.
securityguy (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 10:52 AM
Advanced

Short-term vs long-term matters too. I rarely keep a car more than 3-5 years (and rarely exceed 40-50K miles in that time period) anyway so as long as it's covered under warranty what do I care? That said, I'm a little more annoyed that I've had to go in for the Pilot so many times at 15K miles but that car will be gone before the warranty is up. Problems like infotainment and fit and finish issues are just annoying. So for me, all I really care about is short-term to medium-term reliability (will I have to keep brining it in while under warranty) and I don't care at all if the car will do 200K miles problem-free (Hell I don't care if it can make 100k).
securityguy (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 04:24 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by PWMDMD
Bingo. Look at all the crap people buy from the likes of Walmart and Dollar General.

Being popular doesn't mean something is better - it usually means it's cheaper, more easily accessible, and/or heavily advertised.

Chrysler sold more PT Cruisers in its day than Acura does RDX's today. I remember when dealers were selling PT Cruisers for above MSRP. Now, the ones that aren't in salvage yards are the cheapest things you can buy at used car lots. Does this mean the PT Cruiser was a better car? Was it a more appealing car?
Old 06-23-2019, 04:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zroger73
Bingo. Look at all the crap people buy from the likes of Walmart and Dollar General.

Being popular doesn't mean something is better - it usually means it's cheaper, more easily accessible, and/or heavily advertised.

Chrysler sold more PT Cruisers in its day than Acura does RDX's today. I remember when dealers were selling PT Cruisers for above MSRP. Now, the ones that aren't in salvage yards are the cheapest things you can buy at used car lots. Does this mean the PT Cruiser was a better car? Was it a more appealing car?
Sure, but your analogy is flawed because you're solely going off of volume. In other words, you're saying "Acura sells the most SUVs and Walmart sells the most merchandise, so therefore Acura must be the car world's Walmart!" Except the reason Walmart is selling so much is because they're specifically targeting the lower-end consumer with cheap goods (which is a good thing, not a criticism). That's their actual goal. Acura is targeting the consumer of luxury SUVs and competing against European manufacturers with recognized high quality vehicles that somehow are at the bottom of the JD Power survey. PT Cruisers were competing against entry-level sedans and only became popular due to their completely different external appearance. They were the exact same stock platforms as normal sedans with a different fascia.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:47 PM
AZ Community Team

Let’s be honest with ourselves and admit that today no car is as reliable as they used to be due to the number of electrical, computerized and gadgets.

But also we can’t ignore sales numbers, those 60,000 people that bought the RDX last year and those who are buying this year conduct some research like you and me. Correct? So why are they ignoring stupid ratings like JD power? All these people ditch $60K just to support Acura? Lol
Because they know that no car is perfect today, but the RDX still is one of the best if not not the best. I say forget the rating of stupid JD and test drive the car and if you like it. Go for it! If not, move on and buy a Tuscan or Sportage. I am sure those two cars are flawless and they have zero issues 🤣
Old 06-23-2019, 07:46 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Old 06-23-2019, 08:49 PM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
Let’s be honest with ourselves and admit that today no car is as reliable as they used to be due to the number of electrical, computerized and gadgets.

But also we can’t ignore sales numbers, those 60,000 people that bought the RDX last year and those who are buying this year conduct some research like you and me. Correct? So why are they ignoring stupid ratings like JD power? All these people ditch $60K just to support Acura? Lol
Because they know that no car is perfect today, but the RDX still is one of the best if not not the best. I say forget the rating of stupid JD and test drive the car and if you like it. Go for it! If not, move on and buy a Tuscan or Sportage. I am sure those two cars are flawless and they have zero issues ��
I assume most people don't go buy cars because of what CR says or what JD Power says. All the cars I have bought have not been influenced by any of them. I see a car that looks good, drives nice, and has a reputation of reliability, I go buy them. Japanese cars have been known to be far more reliable than any other brand, mechanically. My last couple cars have been Infiniti G35 and G37, Lexus ES and LS, and most recently, a Mercedes E-Class.

All in all, I haven't encountered extreme issues mechanically with any of them, and with the Japanese cars, I've kept all of them for over 10 years. I'm a little wary of the Benz, because the maintenance on that is far more expensive than any other car I've owned. This is my first Acura, and I hope that it will last just as long as my other Japanese vehicles. My 2007 Honda Odyssey with over 240k miles is still going strong. No mechanical issues, but the suspension is starting to need some work. The Honda so far has the most miles I've ever had without any mechanical issues so far, and all I've done are basic maintenance like oil changes. My 07 Lexus ES 350 only had the oil pipe bursting issue which actually occurred which was then later recalled, but after that, no issues since then with over 150k on the odometer. My Infiniti G's have had no issues mechanically, and my 07 G35x was totaled after an accident but had 108k miles after ten years in service.

The 2019 RDX is also my first turbo vehicle. Hopefully it'll last just as long as my other Japanese vehicles I've owned.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 06-23-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:53 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
No doubt about that!
Old 06-24-2019, 05:51 AM
Advanced

Because they know that no car is perfect today, but the RDX still is one of the best if not not the best. I say forget the rating of stupid JD and test drive the car and if you like it. Go for it! If not, move on and buy a Tuscan or Sportage. I am sure those two cars are flawless and they have zero issues 🤣
1. The RDX is a spectacularly well-packaged vehicle.
2. It drives well and is sporty
3. Just the right size.
4. A lot of vehicle for the money.
5. 15 years later Joe Public still thinks Honda/Acura is at the top of these ratings - you'd be surprised how little research many buyers do before buying. The number of people on this forum is a tiny fraction of those buying the vehicle.

There are a couple of different ideas being thrown around in this thread.

1. Is the RDX reliable?
2. Does the JD Power survey accurately describe the RDXs reliability?
3. Are the JD Power Surveys accurate in general?
4. Are sales numbers a reflection of reliability?

Too much for me to unpack. My only point was sales numbers do not reflect reliability. There are so many other factors that most people look at prior to buying a vehicle and there are so many cars with terrible reliability with good sales numbers.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:12 AM
Banned

1. Is the RDX reliable?

Too much for me to unpack. My only point was sales numbers do not reflect reliability. There are so many other factors that most people look at prior to buying a vehicle and there are so many cars with terrible reliability with good sales numbers.
1. You can't even answer this without explaining what "reliable" is defined as. That's an arbitrary definition, too.
2. No,
3. No.
4. No.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:35 AM
AZ Community Team

1. You can't even answer this without explaining what "reliable" is defined as. That's an arbitrary definition, too.
2. No,
3. No.
4. No.
Nailed it!
Old 06-24-2019, 06:41 AM
AZ Community Team

1. The RDX is a spectacularly well-packaged vehicle.
2. It drives well and is sporty
3. Just the right size.
4. A lot of vehicle for the money.
5. 15 years later Joe Public still thinks Honda/Acura is at the top of these ratings - you'd be surprised how little research many buyers do before buying. The number of people on this forum is a tiny fraction of those buying the vehicle.

There are a couple of different ideas being thrown around in this thread.

1. Is the RDX reliable?

Brother - I was nice and tried to explain you how amazing RDX is with FACTS. But you went and came back with points that have zero relevance and you keep saying “reliability”.

I wanted to save you some time by saying, logout and go buy a Korean car. You still ignored understanding my point. have nothing to proof. But I will sit back and enjoy seeing Acura at the top 3 sold Suv right now beating Q5 and soon will beat GLC. God bless!

Keep readying JD power and other surveys, I am sure you will learn a few tips and tricks about reliability ��

Last edited by Tony Pac; 06-24-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:17 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
All these people ditch $60K just to support Acura?
I'd like to meet "all these people" who paid $60K! I have a number of items I'd like to sell them!
zroger73 (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 10:28 AM
Drifting

My take is that RDX, like most modern vehicles, is remarkably solid mechanically in comparison to most vehicles of the past. Sure, there are some issues but for the most part they don't disable the vehicle or affect safety.

The in-car "infotainment" electronics are a whole different issue, and this is where the "luxury" brands are getting killed in terms of "reliability" as defined by JD Powers and CR, using their traditional metrics.

Who cares if this is "fair"? If the damn thing doesn't work right and it takes a trip to dealer service to make it work less poorly, that's a problem. If it crashes and makes the car undriveable, that's a huge problem.

Here's an idea: Let's take a durable transportation appliance with an expected useful lifespan of many years and an expected update cycle of "never", and let's combine it with an information appliance that almost defines "technology churn".

And let's bury the ephemeral info appliance so deep into the heavy machinery that it's a nightmare to apply updates and the whole mess becomes obsolete in a few years.

Should be great for sales. After all, Joe Consumer demanded the "Tech" in their cars. And the consumer is never wrong.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wander
The in-car "infotainment" electronics are a whole different issue, and this is where the "luxury" brands are getting killed in terms of "reliability" as defined by JD Powers and CR, using their traditional metrics.
I think it's what your expectations are. I can't and won't argue with people that an infotainment unit shouldn't work properly, but for some reason to me personally it's not a big deal. I don't typically use navigation, so today I tried it out just to see if I was getting the same problem that other people were. So I did voice command, found what I wanted, selected the route, and then just followed the directions. On one turn, I got the error where the HUD turn was the opposite as the one on the map. So that's the first "major" issue that I've run into with the car (major meaning that it wasn't just my personal preference, but an actual issue).

But, I don't know, I really didn't get that worked up about it. The actual map directions were correct and the overhead prompt was also correct. I actually was paying more attention to the overhead prompt than the HUD. For me, I was actually pretty impressed by the 99% of the experience that was perfect. It was pretty intuitive, too. It was showing me destinations on the HUD, I was selecting it verbally, the route was fine. I dunno, I didn't really get that upset about one turn being off. But again, I'm not saying that it would be OK to only have 99% of your trip be correct. I get that the benchmark is, of course, 100%.

I guess where I'm approaching it is that it used to be that people would never use built-in navs, much less ones that were voice activated and beamed to your windshield. It used to be Garmins or whatever and those directions often sucked and the units were slow. Then people started using their phones for directions. This built-in nav was pretty sweet. It calculated my route very quickly and it was a pretty simple route (I wasn't driving around in, say, downtown Manhattan), but I was happy with it. Is it something to complain about? Yeah. Is it the end of the world? Nah. I know that people say "in a $50,000 car, I expect ..." OK, I get that, but a single wrong turn is so far my only actual car problem, so $50,000 or not, I'm not really sweating it, if that makes sense. Now, if the infotainment starts crashing or I hit limp mode or the car blows up, then, yeah, I'll change my mind. But if it's totally perfect except for a wrong direction on the HUD once in a while, then I really don't think I'll care.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:09 AM
Drifting

It's great that you are satisfied with your car, but clearly other buyers have different expectations. Those buyers are responding to surveys and hammering Acura on "reliability" and "customer satisfaction". The latter isn't negotiable. Customers are either satisfied or they aren't, and apparently a lot of customers aren't willing to put up with electronic flakiness in exchange for performance and "fun to drive" character.

There's no right or wrong about that. And Acura can't squirm out of it by claiming their customers are ignorant boobs who can't deal with their rocket science tech. If the tech were so great, it would be intuitive and consistent. We're long past function key shortcuts. And even further past rebooting the computer every few minutes cuz the poor thing got confused.

Anyone else remember Word Perfect? It still sends shivers down my spine.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:49 AM
Advanced

Brother - I was nice and tried to explain you how amazing RDX is with FACTS. But you went and came back with points that have zero relevance and you keep saying “reliability”.

I wanted to save you some time by saying, logout and go buy a Korean car. You still ignored understanding my point. have nothing to proof. But I will sit back and enjoy seeing Acura at the top 3 sold Suv right now beating Q5 and soon will beat GLC. God bless!

Keep readying JD power and other surveys, I am sure you will learn a few tips and tricks about reliability ��

Brother...where did I commit on the RDX's reliability either way? So let me save you some time....all I said was sales do not equal reliability and summarize the central ideas being questioned in the thread. I don't give a rat's ass what you buy...just trying to have a civil conversation here so calm down there champ. In the end it's just a car...no one really cares all that much about this discussion.....
Old 06-25-2019, 06:58 AM
Banned

It's great that you are satisfied with your car, but clearly other buyers have different expectations. Those buyers are responding to surveys and hammering Acura on "reliability" and "customer satisfaction". The latter isn't negotiable. Customers are either satisfied or they aren't, and apparently a lot of customers aren't willing to put up with electronic flakiness in exchange for performance and "fun to drive" character.
Nobody's going to disagree with "customers are either satisfied or they aren't." But it's weird because here's how every conversation on "customer satisfaction" goes on here:

Me: Hey, I have a car that drives well, has a lot of features, and which I enjoy. I've had no problems with it at all except for one time the HUD showed the wrong turn but the voiceover gave me the right turn and so did the map. That's not a big deal to me, even though I recognize that's not how it should work and I hope that gets fixed.

Next five posters: Are you seriously saying that I should accept my car exploding in a fireball?? Is that what you are saying?? My car exploded yesterday and my three children died!! Is that normal??

Now, if you mean that "a lot of customers" are having totally great experiences except for a wrong turn on their HUD ...then I guess that's their problem. I would recommend they get rid of their car immediately and buy any car they want and then get on with their life.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:14 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts

There's no right or wrong about that. And Acura can't squirm out of it by claiming their customers are ignorant boobs who can't deal with their rocket science tech. If the tech were so great, it would be intuitive and consistent. We're long past function key shortcuts. And even further past rebooting the computer every few minutes cuz the poor thing got confused.

Anyone else remember Word Perfect? It still sends shivers down my spine.
I loved Word Perfect.

We had to hand write our memos and employee appraisals, send them to the secretaries, and had ONE shot at editing. When we got WP, I learned it, and I could edit stuff to my heart’s content. “That paragraph should go here, I want to change that word, no, use ‘he’ not ‘him’ there.” I was an early adopter and had a home computer, so I took the disks home and installed it. I ‘suggested’ to the manager that we needed a better manual so he bought a good book (Que?), which I took home and read.

I could make WP do anything I wanted. Far better than typing, then cutting up the paper and repositioning things, etc., I wish I had it in college.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:07 AM
AZ Community Team

Brother...where did I commit on the RDX's reliability either way? So let me save you some time....all I said was sales do not equal reliability and summarize the central ideas being questioned in the thread. I don't give a rat's ass what you buy...just trying to have a civil conversation here so calm down there champ. In the end it's just a car...no one really cares all that much about this discussion.....
Frustrated??? Cmon! We are having fun

Brother - I read the other day: Kia beats Rolls Royce in reliability and quality. Is that true? 😜

I honestly don’t care what you think. All I can say, RDX is the best suv in the market, those who are looking to buy one, go for it! Acura’s reliability and resale value are top notch! No bad feeling, I am not trying to disrespect you or anything. I have driven the car, I know people have it and the sales numbers backup my point. Cheers!

If you dont believe so... fair enough! That’s your opinion.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:55 PM
Banned

I tried out my nav system today and didn't encounter the turn issue on the HUD, so now I'm back to being 100% satisfied!
Old 06-25-2019, 02:20 PM
Advanced

Frustrated??? Cmon! We are having fun

Brother - I read the other day: Kia beats Rolls Royce in reliability and quality. Is that true? 😜

I honestly don’t care what you think. All I can say, RDX is the best suv in the market, those who are looking to buy one, go for it! Acura’s reliability and resale value are top notch! No bad feeling, I am not trying to disrespect you or anything. I have driven the car, I know people have it and the sales numbers backup my point. Cheers!

If you dont believe so... fair enough! That’s your opinion.
Lol..your last sentence says it all. That’s the thing...I haven’t said anything at all about the RDX. I simply stated sales figures do not mean it’s reliable. This is true for all vehicles. Some how I’m defending myself and being told to go drive a Hyundai for supposedly saying the RDX is unreliable when I’ve never said the RDX is unreliable. You’re looking for a fight where there is no fight.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:14 PM
AZ Community Team

Lol..your last sentence says it all. That’s the thing...I haven’t said anything at all about the RDX. I simply stated sales figures do not mean it’s reliable. This is true for all vehicles. Some how I’m defending myself and being told to go drive a Hyundai for supposedly saying the RDX is unreliable when I’ve never said the RDX is unreliable. You’re looking for a fight where there is no fight.

No fight brother! Peace and enjoy!

Quick Reply: JD Power slams 19 RDX as 9th worst vehicle