JD Power slams 19 RDX as 9th worst vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 06:26 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
JD Power slams 19 RDX as 9th worst vehicle

I just read where the 19 RDX is the 9th worst vehicle to buy due to Turbo issues (first time I have heard this), stop/start issues when car is stopped and engine shuts off, (we have seen this complaint), jerky transmission, (have heard this) and the dreaded infotainment issues. (lot's of complaints).

One wonders if Acura rushed this car to production as this seems like a lot of issues especially when the last generation RDX was so reliable. I can attest to that as I have a 14 and had a 17 and they were flawless.

I am guessing the flaws will get worked out, but aside from great value and good driving habits, I have always liked the reliability of Acura's.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:33 PM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Sounds like nobody is paying attention to JD Power because sales of the RDX are through the roof.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:35 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
This commercial pretty much sums up what JD Power is.

It's all BIAS survey results, if you don't pay them to make you look good they will make you look bad. Pretty much paid for advertising.
The following 2 users liked this post by deanoatkinson:
EXCALIBUR1 (06-20-2019), sweeT n Lo (06-22-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 06:36 PM
Banned

Oh, btw, JD Power doesn't have ratings out for 2019 cars and their Dependability Ratings are for cars 3 years old and put the 2016 Acura RDX at the top.

https://www.jdpower.com/Cars/Ratings

Now where's your link?
The following 2 users liked this post by DriverOne:
kurtatx (06-21-2019), _korangar (06-25-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 06:54 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
JD power lol!

That explains all

RDX is the second best suv in its category beating Q5.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:49 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Yeah, they have some nerve bashing the RDX. Only WE are allowed to bash the RDX.
The following 4 users liked this post by NooYawkuh:
Jopa (06-25-2019), Meto (06-21-2019), Wander (06-21-2019), WTF.Acura (08-06-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 09:48 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Link?
Old 06-20-2019, 10:37 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Turbo issues are a nada...

If anything, Honda can build a reliable turbo...

257K on my 07 and still spools like new!
Old 06-20-2019, 10:38 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by deanoatkinson

https://youtu.be/zSBsq6HBBzw

It's all BIAS survey results, if you don't pay them to make you look good they will make you look bad. Pretty much paid for advertising.
So JD power must really be run by Chevy...
Old 06-21-2019, 07:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
I hope a little bad press for Acura will move them to consider actually fixing some of these issues. Infotainment and limp mode are motivating me to hold onto my 07 TL for a while longer. I am actually looking at the new Lexus RX350 (even though it has that grill) and the new Highlander, and who knows even the Telluride?
The following users liked this post:
ZipSpeed (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 07:35 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
So JD power must really be run by Chevy...

JD power is paid by Infiniti. I bet they are saying the QX50 is Top+++++!

Yet, the sales of QX is beyond horrible and Infiniti can't sell 2.5K units per month. Even the old and outdated previous model was selling more. At least people liked raw power and handling. Now, what left? CVT, a brand new engine and no tech.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by deanoatkinson

https://youtu.be/zSBsq6HBBzw

Yeah, you don't have it quite right. The survey results are most definitely real. JD Powers charges manufacturers for access to all the survey data, then charges them again for the right to use the JD Powers name in their advertising. They also have a consulting arm that, for a substantial fee, will help automakers score better on the surveys. I don't care for their methods, but the survey results are what they are.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:58 AM
Burning Brakes

The 2019 Initial Quality Survey (IQS) results, which only accounts for the first 90 days of ownership:

Old 06-21-2019, 10:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 191 Posts
Every time I see a JD power commercial I wanna puke
knakane (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 11:41 AM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts
the car is far from perfect but JD Power is like Consumer Reports....just a bunch of paid BS...
Old 06-21-2019, 11:41 AM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
The 2019 Initial Quality Survey (IQS) results, which only accounts for the first 90 days of ownership:
The J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Survey shows Honda and Acura to be below industry average for three year-old vehicles as well. Acura is way down the list.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,415 Likes on 1,867 Posts
If there are issues in the first 90 days, it stands to reason that there are probably more issues down the line.

Too many people here are still hanging onto the old reputation of Hondas (and by association, Acuras) of being at the top of the reliability charts. That just isn't the case anymore, both an anecdotally and empirically. Anecdotally, my FIL's 2017 Accord has been in the shop for a defective seatbelt, a transmission leak, and a squeaky strut. Empirically, both CR and JD Power have Honda/Acura trending down the last few years. But this is just some grand conspiracy, right:?

Last edited by fiatlux; 06-21-2019 at 12:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
HotRodW (06-22-2019), zroger73 (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 12:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by knakane
the car is far from perfect but JD Power is like Consumer Reports....just a bunch of paid BS...
Oh, please. First of all, Consumer Reports doesn't take money. Their ratings are based on their own opinions (which, for the record, I often disagree with), combined with the results of their owner's surveys. I believe they're biased for sure, but their bias is more political than anything else. They feel they have a responsibility to promote vehicles and manufacturers that suit their own agenda.

As for JD Power, if they're being paid, how do you explain their rather glowing review of the RDX?

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/expert-...ura-rdx-review
Old 06-21-2019, 01:22 PM
Banned

Based on this chart, it is indisputable that Kias and Genesisisisisis are the best cars available and Land Rover, Volvo, Volkswagons, and Jaguars are terrible. Now back to reality.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:28 PM
Pro

After decades of being stuck in a rut with Ford and GM products, I finally "came out of closet" and bought my first of what would become 11 new Hondas over a 13-year period in 2006. I always admired the design, simplicity, ergonomics, durability, reliability, practicality, and efficiency of Hondas of the 1980's and 1990's. By the time I made the switch, I felt that Honda had already begun losing some of the characteristics that initially drew me in. Each new Honda I purchase seems to have more issues than the last - no matter how minor the issues may be. My experience with a 2019 RDX was the biggest disappointment yet.

For now, I'm back in a 2019 Ridgeline, but I wouldn't want to own one past the factory warranty. I'll probably keep buying Hondas as long as the resale value holds up, but if they don't get back to their roots soon, this advantage will disappear and I probably will, too. I've never been more indifferent about brand than I am right now. I don't think I could bring myself to own any FCA automobile, but I must admit the Hellcat, Ram, and Giulia are impressive to drive.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DriverOne
Based on this chart, it is indisputable that Kias and Genesisisisisis are the best cars available and Land Rover, Volvo, Volkswagons, and Jaguars are terrible. Now back to reality.
It's not remotely what it says at all. It says that in the first 90 days of ownership, owners of those brands are reporting the fewest number of problems. "Problems" can be anything from rough transmission behavior to confusing infotainment functionality to something actually not working. One only has to spend a few hours browsing threads here to understand why Acura is rated where they are. Or you can put your fingers in your ears and keep on believing. I'm sure Acura appreciates your blind loyalty.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:40 PM
Pro

You see, Honda, Toyota, and Subaru long had some of the most reliable vehicles in the world. Then, they stopped innovating and started coasted along on their reputations while trying to improve profits for the shareholders. Meanwhile, crappy ol' Kia/Hyundai was busting their asses in the shadows improving their products and working on their image. The ol' reliables have been caught with their pants down. There's still a mental stigma against purchasing a Genesis over a Mercedes-Benz, but you're likely getting a better car for a lower price with the former. You'd be amazed at the people who think Hyundai and Honda are the same company or that Fiats and Alfa Romeos are better than Dodges and Chryslers.
PWMDMD (06-22-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 01:46 PM
Banned

It's not remotely what it says at all. It says that in the first 90 days of ownership, owners of those brands are reporting the fewest number of problems. "Problems" can be anything from rough transmission behavior to confusing infotainment functionality to something actually not working. One only has to spend a few hours browsing threads here to understand why Acura is rated where they are. Or you can put your fingers in your ears and keep on believing. I'm sure Acura appreciates your blind loyalty.
Oh, so since "problems" can be subjective and are broadly defined, then the chart is actually completely useless and irrelevant. Now I understand.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Oh, so since "problems" can be subjective and are broadly defined, then the chart is actually completely useless and irrelevant. Now I understand.
Tell that to all the owners here who have had "problems". Subjective or not, if the owner says it's a problem, it is in fact a problem.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zroger73
You see, Honda, Toyota, and Subaru long had some of the most reliable vehicles in the world. Then, they stopped innovating and started coasted along on their reputations while trying to improve profits for the shareholders. Meanwhile, crappy ol' Kia/Hyundai was busting their asses in the shadows improving their products and working on their image. The ol' reliables have been caught with their pants down. There's still a mental stigma against purchasing a Genesis over a Mercedes-Benz, but you're likely getting a better car for a lower price with the former. You'd be amazed at the people who think Hyundai and Honda are the same company or that Fiats and Alfa Romeos are better than Dodges and Chryslers.
I would agree with part of what you're saying. My understanding is that Kias have improved quite a bit since the days when they were just viewed as low-budget no-name cars. How much, I don't know, since I've never personally looked into buying a Kia, to be very blunt. However, I don't think there has been a corresponding loss of quality in Hondas. Maybe you could say they're not improving, but they're pretty much at the top of the heap for entry-level compacts with the Civic and family sedans with the Accord. Frankly, I think their Civics are getting better. The styling is more aggressive, although that's subjective and I actually liked their older generation models, and I think they perform extremely well. I would have purchased an Accord instead of an RDX - I wasn't looking at buying an SUV - except I really was turned off by the front of the Accord and the interior is certainly not luxury (nor is it intended to compete in the luxury segment, so that's not a knock on it).
Old 06-21-2019, 01:54 PM
Banned

Tell that to all the owners here who have had "problems". Subjective or not, if the owner says it's a problem, it is in fact a problem.
I guess they should buy Kias and Genesisisisis then, which would thrill them.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:02 PM
Burning Brakes

I guess they should buy Kias and Genesisisisis then, which would thrill them.
Clearly you haven't driven a Stinger or G70. Nothing currently in an Acura showroom compares from a thrills standpoint. And wait until the Genesis SUV's start to land. But again, you're obviously going to believe what you want to believe.
Lucky13's (08-12-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 02:07 PM
Banned

Clearly you haven't driven a Stinger or G70. Nothing currently in an Acura showroom compares from a thrills standpoint. And wait until the Genesis SUV's start to land. But again, you're obviously going to believe what you want to believe.
Uh ...so then why don't you buy a Stinger or G70? Instead, when I suggest you buy a Kia, you get angry with me for some unknown reason. I'm being serious. If you like Kias that much and think they're the best cars, you should go buy one. Then you'll be happy and nobody here will care.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:19 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
My wife’s 2014 Accord had a wheel bearing making noise at about 4 years. When we brought it in for service, we told the advisor, who said he would have a tech look at it.

They called later that day and said the service was complete, and yes a front wheel bearing was bad, but they replaced it under the drivetrain warranty. I said ‘drivetrain warranty’? He said, yes, he was surprised too. I asked how much it would have cost anyway, and he said less than $150.

Does that make this Accord unreliable? Would it have been measurably more reliable without the bearing problem? So, if a kia is more ‘reliable’ than my Honda, and it is based on stuff like this, it is not enough to make me go and drive around in a Kia.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:20 PM
Pro

...and the Telluride. It and the Stinger are the two models that actually opened my eyes to the brand. It's hard to fathom that these vehicles come from the same company that once made the Sephia and Excel. Of course, one could also say it's hard to believe the RDX comes from the same company that once made the N600 and Acty.

If I were to buy a vehicle purely for my own satisfaction and planned to keep it long enough that resale value wasn't a big deal, I'd seriously consider a Kia/Hyundai. However, I'm a bit too snooty to do that, but not so snooty that I will only drive a BMW or Mercedes.

Last edited by zroger73; 06-21-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:24 PM
Banned

If I were to buy a vehicle purely for my own satisfaction and planned to keep it long enough that resale value wasn't a big deal, I'd seriously consider a Kia/Hyundai. However, I'm a bit too snooty to do that, but not so snooty that I will only drive a BMW or Mercedes.
Yes, well, then one has to ask why the resale value on those cars is so low when they're supposedly so great in quality and performance, LOL.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:28 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
I own a 2015 Hyundai Sonata and have never had a problem.. Hell, it doesn't even have a blemish on the paint after years of bug guts on it.

I am looking at dumping my RDX for the Palisade and am in serious discussion with my local Hyundai dealer about it.. I am tired of waiting on Acura to "fix things" when they know there are problems. My RDX has made 15 trips to the dealer in 1 year which is crazy
Old 06-21-2019, 02:35 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I was at a Stinger event, and I also got one of those $50 debit cards to test drive a Genesis G80. I still had my BMW 535 and was looking to maybe replace it.

The Stinger was impressive for that kind of car, and purely for driving experience, BMW needs to watch out for its 3 series, and Infiniti needs to just shut down. But you needed to drive it at at least 8/10s to see how well it compares. Neither is my kind of car at this stage in my life.

When I came back from the Genesis test drive, the manager asked how I liked it. I told him I was favorably impressed, but it needed to lose at least 500lb if it was going to be sporty as well as luxurious. He said, yeah, I know, but we are getting there. I said it is a very comfortable sedan. Not trying to put the car down, but it would be great cruising up and down the Tamiami Trail in Florida, or the Miracle Mile out on the Island, but two lane blacktop through some hilly twisties? Nah.

And they are getting there. On the road at least. My friends Kia Optima has better bells and whistles than my wife’s Accord, but it drives numb, and that car has had a few trips back to the dealer as well.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 06-21-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Meto
I own a 2015 Hyundai Sonata and have never had a problem.. Hell, it doesn't even have a blemish on the paint after years of bug guts on it.

I am looking at dumping my RDX for the Palisade and am in serious discussion with my local Hyundai dealer about it.. I am tired of waiting on Acura to "fix things" when they know there are problems. My RDX has made 15 trips to the dealer in 1 year which is crazy
The Palisade seems to have a nice interior, very clean looking design. It's sort of reminiscent of a Volvo. The outside looks sort of generic to me. I just saw they have integrated sunshades, which I'm envious of. Hope you have a better experience with it than you did with the RDX. Does it drive well?
Old 06-21-2019, 02:46 PM
Pro

Yes, well, then one has to ask why the resale value on those cars is so low when they're supposedly so great in quality and performance, LOL.
One word: Perception

If buyers perceive Honda to be "good", resale value will be, too. If buyers perceive Kia to be "bad", resale value will be, too. I can't explain people who perceive Fords/Chevrolets/Rams to be "good" even though their resale value is bad yet they keep buying them over and over. Well, I can, but it wouldn't be a politically correct statement.

The church members think their pastor is still a good man even though he's a kid toucher because most pastors have been good men in the past.

The attendees at the symphony think the guy with the tattoos is a drug addict and rapist even though he's a highly-regarded brain surgeon because most tattoo bearers in the past have been bad people.

The point is that Hondas aren't as good as they used to be, but people still perceive them to be so we keep buying them (while we complain about them).
ZipSpeed (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 02:56 PM
Banned

The point is that Hondas aren't as good as they used to be, but people still perceive them to be so we keep buying them (while we complain about them).
I don't know about that. Like I said in another post, I'm loyal to Honda because I had such a great experience with them. It had nothing to do with "societal perception." That actually was why I shopped Acuras, solely because they're Honda's luxury arm. I have no doubt that I could get another car from another brand that is just as nice, but I didn't even bother looking. I didn't comparison shop at all. I read lots of reviews from all sources on the RDX and test drove it and looked at dozens of videos and it seemed to be great. Then all I did was see if the price would be OK.

Frankly, I think this is silly because you could go on any forum about any brand and you'd find people there talking about how the brand sucked and every car was a lemon and so on and so forth. It's sort of tiresome. It's like how I can go on Amazon and look at reviews and no matter how good a product is, someone is there writing "this is a piece of junk, cheap manufacturing, don't believe what you read, don't buy." I'm like "OK" and then buy it and never have a problem with it.
a35tl (07-06-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 02:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Uh ...so then why don't you buy a Stinger or G70? Instead, when I suggest you buy a Kia, you get angry with me for some unknown reason. I'm being serious. If you like Kias that much and think they're the best cars, you should go buy one. Then you'll be happy and nobody here will care.
A Kia? Probably not. Although I was this close to buying a Stinger GT. Probably would have if the dealership had a clue. The car itself is damn good. But a Genesis? Yeah, it's possible there will be a Genesis in my future. One of the best kept secrets in the auto industry.

Apparently you haven't been paying attention ... the Koreans aren't the depreciation champs they once were. Some models hold their value quite well.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:21 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
The Palisade seems to have a nice interior, very clean looking design. It's sort of reminiscent of a Volvo. The outside looks sort of generic to me. I just saw they have integrated sunshades, which I'm envious of. Hope you have a better experience with it than you did with the RDX. Does it drive well?
Have not taken a test drive as of yet, but my father in-law has a 2019 Santa Fe and it rides smooth as silk, so this can only be better in my opinion. Plus, my wife and I decided that we need to go back to a larger SUV with more cargo space and have had good luck with our Hyundai and the dealership is very professional. I am greatly disappointed with my Acura experience and maybe mine is just a lemon, but I took a large settlement from Acura for my issues, so I can use that to help put down money on the Palisade.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:44 PM
Pro

Frankly, I think this is silly because you could go on any forum about any brand and you'd find people there talking about how the brand sucked and every car was a lemon and so on and so forth. It's sort of tiresome. It's like how I can go on Amazon and look at reviews and no matter how good a product is, someone is there writing "this is a piece of junk, cheap manufacturing, don't believe what you read, don't buy." I'm like "OK" and then buy it and never have a problem with it.
Exactly. That's why more objective data like the number of problems per 100 vehicles during the first three months and during the first three years is important.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:53 PM
Banned

Exactly. That's why more objective data like the number of problems per 100 vehicles during the first three months and during the first three years is important.
Well, not really. I'm not saying "totally discount it," but my point was that some people just ...complain a lot. That's not directed towards anyone on this forum. It's a generic statement. Like you could have them go to Disney for free and some people would be having a blast and other people would just be saying "too hot, rides sucked, lines are stupid, why am I even here?" You know what I mean? And their complaints are not invalid, but you can take them anywhere else and it's still the same complaints. They just have some weird fantasy of what a park (or car) "should be" and no car ever lives up to that expectation.

You have to know who people are before you can buy what they say. Like, if you're someone who trades in a car every 2 years, your expectations are probably pretty high and unrealistic. Because it always has to be "the best" and "cutting edge" or else it's garbage. Whereas, if someone else buys a car for decades, they are coming in to it with other expectations. Sure, they want it to last, of course, but they may not care so much about certain things as long as it is dependable. My last car I owned for a long time. So I knew that almost any car you put me in would seem great because the upgrade in tech and performance is drastic. I've had to drive crappy cars as rentals for work, like a Yaro or whatever the heck it was, and it still seemed OK. I wasn't thrilled, but it wasn't terrible. So probably I'm not the person to listen to, either. But I will say that I've driven my RDX for months and never had any problems with it and enjoyed every ride. I sat in the back seat one day and was like "wow, this is a very comfortable back seat! Too bad I can never sit back here." I really don't understand the people who just spend hours grousing about the car, although I understand that if you are disappointed in a car, that's a big deal. It's a big ticket item and you expect it to be good. But I just haven't experienced that. If it's that bad a car, then get rid of it. That's all I can say. But then don't hang around an Acura forum just to be spiteful to Acura. That's lame. Get whatever, get a Kia, then go to a Kia forum and talk about how awesome it is.
zroger73 (06-21-2019)

Quick Reply: JD Power slams 19 RDX as 9th worst vehicle