AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX (2019+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/)
-   -   Infotainment System went Haywire (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/infotainment-system-went-haywire-971718/)

fligster 07-19-2018 05:45 PM

Infotainment System went Haywire

I have a 2019 RDX Advance with about 900 miles. On my way home today, all of a sudden there was a beep and the sound went off. SiriusXM said "Check Tuner", FM radio said something similar. Then the navigation was messed up like there was interference, it was displaying my position about 1/4 mile behind where I actually was. Also, the screen started "jiggling". The turn by turn directions seemed to work but they didn't display in the HUD like they should. I got home and shut off the car, and the screen stayed on. I then restarted and no change. I shut it off and waited maybe 15 minutes, when I came back the screen was off, restarted the car and everything was working again. Anyone else have this happen?

MI-RDX 07-19-2018 05:52 PM

What was the environment? Hot/cold, car sitting in the sun? Did you have anything in the USB port in the center console? How long had you been driving?

Need more info.

fligster 07-19-2018 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by MI-RDX (Post 16267367)
What was the environment? Hot/cold, car sitting in the sun? Did you have anything in the USB port in the center console? How long had you been driving?

Need more info.

Car had been parked at work from about 7:30 to 4:00, outside temperature was 81. I had my iphone in the center console as I was using the SiriusXM app to listen to OnDemand content. I had been driving about an hour, everything working fine, then the beep and sound went off.

MI-RDX 07-19-2018 06:50 PM

Yeah, that doesn't sound like it would be related to the car sitting in the sun all day if you'd been driving for an hour (that type of commute makes me really glad I'm retired).

Just an FYI, Acura recommends not leaving anything plugged into the center console USB port on hot days.

Page 239 of the O.M.:
• Do not leave the iPod or USB flash drive in the
vehicle. Direct sunlight and high temperatures may
damage it.
• We recommend using an extension cable with the
USB port.

I have no idea why they recommend an extension cable? :confused:

Sorry, but I have no idea what may have gone haywire on you. There have been a few other reports of Infotainment glitches here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...avigation-455/

Wander 07-19-2018 08:17 PM

That doesn't sound like a software glitch. That sounds like unwell electronics. Dealer service. If it happens again, try to document with pics.

Those are truly bizarre comments in the OM about USB. Extension cable with a flash drive? Really?

fligster 07-19-2018 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Wander (Post 16267443)
That doesn't sound like a software glitch. That sounds like unwell electronics. Dealer service. If it happens again, try to document with pics.

Those are truly bizarre comments in the OM about USB. Extension cable with a flash drive? Really?

I will definitely take in for service if it happens again. I have Video.

catbert430 07-19-2018 09:25 PM

I'm not the only one who listens to XM Pop2K. Wow!

I hope the reboot fixed it. Best of luck.

Accord07 07-20-2018 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by MI-RDX (Post 16267401)
Yeah, that doesn't sound like it would be related to the car sitting in the sun all day if you'd been driving for an hour (that type of commute makes me really glad I'm retired).

I have no idea why they recommend an extension cable? :confused:

USB Type A ports are rated for 1,500 insertions for Standard Durability Class and 5,000 insertions for High Durability Class. I have never encountered a port failure on any of the laptops I have owned for the last 20 years, but then I never used a laptop daily for more than 3-4 years and inserted/removed USB connectors multiple times per day. For those who just hook up a phone for charging and data (Android Auto or CarPlay), the Type A connector stays in all the time, there is nothing to worry about; for those who frequently switch among phones with different connectors (USB micro B, USB Type C, Lightning, etc.) and/or USB flash drives, which necessitates insertion/removal of the Type A connector, using an extension cable is an affordable insurance policy against the possibility of repairing/replacing the female Type A connector in the vehicle a few years down the road.

Wander 07-22-2018 08:57 AM

If I get 1500 "insertions" over the next few years, I'll be a happy guy.

ESHBG 07-22-2018 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by fligster (Post 16267446)
I will definitely take in for service if it happens again. I have Video.

https://youtu.be/Rfk5XV8h0_M

Philly area (then NJ)? Your commute looks very familiar ha ha

Sorry to hear about this, looks like an annoying electronics glitch. My '09 TSX had a ton and it still has a few pop up to this day.

Hou-RL 07-22-2018 10:45 AM

Base don the two issue for the radio going haywire, they have both been Apple Carplay related. Maybe someone else has had the issue without Carplay being involved but that is based on the two that I have read.If Carplay is the culprit then the issue could be related to the IOS version or the Carplay software currently installed on the RDX.
Anyone else have the Stereo haywire issue without Carplay being used on their RDX?

Meto 07-23-2018 09:42 AM

I have had issues with AM Radio coming up and it just says "Loading", so I switch to Sirius XM and then back to AM Radio and then it loads. Definitely a bug that needs to be fixed. I also get the "System Failure - Service not available" sometimes when trying to switch stations on Sirius XM. I know Acura has these issues in their database to fix, so hopefully a system update comes out soon.

justnspace 07-23-2018 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Wander (Post 16268498)
If I get 1500 "insertions" over the next few years, I'll be a happy guy.

there's a male to male connector end joke in there some where

pnoi521 07-23-2018 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Meto (Post 16268952)
I have had issues with AM Radio coming up and it just says "Loading", so I switch to Sirius XM and then back to AM Radio and then it loads. Definitely a bug that needs to be fixed. I also get the "System Failure - Service not available" sometimes when trying to switch stations on Sirius XM. I know Acura has these issues in their database to fix, so hopefully a system update comes out soon.

I have found that the few times i got the “System Failure” message when trying to use the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel I can resolve it by pressing the power button on the steering wheel to turn the system off then back on.

Dizzyg12 07-23-2018 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16268958)
there's a male to male connector end joke in there some where

whatever you do don’t click on urban dictionary when researching different types of docking

acuraada 07-23-2018 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dizzyg12 (Post 16269138)

whatever you do don’t click on urban dictionary when researching different types of docking

So as of now, it's insert at your own risk?! Is that what Acura is advising?

justnspace 07-23-2018 02:32 PM

:spit:

DrWoo 07-23-2018 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by pnoi521 (Post 16268976)

I have found that the few times i got the “System Failure” message when trying to use the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel I can resolve it by pressing the power button on the steering wheel to turn the system off then back on.

I’ve noticed this error if SiriusXM is in the smaller right window on the screen. If it’s in the left main screen, then the toggle works to select my favorites.

Hou-RL 07-23-2018 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by pnoi521 (Post 16268976)

I have experienced the steering wheel button error on a couple of occasions. I have had to use the track pad to select category or channels in XM to allow it to start working again. It is a simple issue that can be annoying but since I can still use the track pad to manage I just kind of overlooked it. I suspect it is an issue that others are having once in a while also.
So the problem this, try to change the radio channel but right or left clicking the wheel on the steering wheel. It doesn't do anything, no response, no error. It just isn't working. Go to the touch pad to manage the stereo and it restores my functionality after selecting other options.

Is this what you are experiencing?

pnoi521 07-23-2018 05:20 PM

@Hou-RL yes, that’s exactly what I occasionally experience. But the good ol “did you turn it off then back on?” Is the resolution lol

Madd Dog 07-23-2018 05:30 PM

Whatever happened to the reliable Ctrl+Alt+Del buttons?

pnoi521 07-23-2018 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Madd Dog (Post 16269248)

Ctrl+Alt+Del were on the chopping block along with the LED rear turn signals

Madd Dog 07-23-2018 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by pnoi521 (Post 16269273)

Ctrl+Alt+Del were on the chopping block along with the LED rear turn signals

Buncha cheapskates.

(I love the WDP/Red combo; it is both hot and cool.)

fligster 07-23-2018 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by ESHBG (Post 16268501)
Philly area (then NJ)? Your commute looks very familiar ha ha

Sorry to hear about this, looks like an annoying electronics glitch. My '09 TSX had a ton and it still has a few pop up to this day.

Live in South Jersey, our corporate office is out by King of Prussia mall. Luckily I only go in usually twice a week. Driving in isn't "bad" usually 1 hour 15 minutes, it's coming home that sucks no matter what time. One of the reasons I figured I would get the 2019, even though I had a 2017 RDX.

Dizzyg12 07-23-2018 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Madd Dog (Post 16269248)

millennials....if they can’t swipe right or left it just doesn’t work for them.

pnoi521 07-23-2018 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Madd Dog (Post 16269280)

Buncha cheapskates.

(I love the WDP/Red combo; it is both hot and cool.)

I was set on a Black/Red A-Spec RDX or TLX, but I saw the white and couldn’t say no lol

TxLady 07-24-2018 05:05 PM

This is just for reference as they tend to add to it as new "issues" are discovered and if y'all are like me...I have trouble locating it.

​​​​​​Service bulletins on 2019 RDX
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...0-18-a-970758/

The last link has an infotainment issue ...but not the one y'all have been discussing. Gosh, I haven't experienced what y'all are so don't know if it is all RDX related or a bad component in some of them. This has all been very interesting though. Definitely will be following.

Hou-RL 07-24-2018 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by TxLady (Post 16269858)
This is just for reference as they tend to add to it as new "issues" are discovered and if y'all are like me...I have trouble locating it.

​​​​​​Service bulletins on 2019 RDX
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...0-18-a-970758/

The last link has an infotainment issue ...but not the one y'all have been discussing. Gosh, I haven't experienced what y'all are so don't know if it is all RDX related or a bad component in some of them. This has all been very interesting though. Definitely will be following.

i do hope.you never have to experience the issue.

ESHBG 07-27-2018 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by fligster (Post 16269284)
Live in South Jersey, our corporate office is out by King of Prussia mall. Luckily I only go in usually twice a week. Driving in isn't "bad" usually 1 hour 15 minutes, it's coming home that sucks no matter what time. One of the reasons I figured I would get the 2019, even though I had a 2017 RDX.

:thumbsup:

Tony Gale 04-23-2019 06:13 AM

Infotainment goes haywire

Originally Posted by fligster (Post 16267364)
I have a 2019 RDX Advance with about 900 miles. On my way home today, all of a sudden there was a beep and the sound went off. SiriusXM said "Check Tuner", FM radio said something similar. Then the navigation was messed up like there was interference, it was displaying my position about 1/4 mile behind where I actually was. Also, the screen started "jiggling". The turn by turn directions seemed to work but they didn't display in the HUD like they should. I got home and shut off the car, and the screen stayed on. I then restarted and no change. I shut it off and waited maybe 15 minutes, when I came back the screen was off, restarted the car and everything was working again. Anyone else have this happen?

i just had the exact same thing happen to me. It’s a somewhat rainy day. 51F. I did have my iPhone plugged in using Waze. Listening to SiriusXM using the RDX tuner...there was a weird pop and Sirius said check tuner, couldn’t access CarPly from the home screen, FM tuner had issues

iOS on current version (12.x)

i tried pulling over and stopped the engine. Infotainment display did NOT go off. Engine was off for about 5 mins. I even turned off and walked away into rest stop.

i am going to my office. Hopefully after 15 mins (or whatever) it will turn the display off as I don’t want to have to get a battery jump!
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...64ca122e3.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...45e91eea8.jpeg

jonarogers 04-23-2019 03:41 PM

If it doesn't go off (it likely won't) you can also do the three finger reset. Just make sure you do it twice. My home screen shortcuts disappear the first time, but return the second time I do the reset.

Father_Time 05-16-2019 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by jonarogers (Post 16415373)
If it doesn't go off (it likely won't) you can also do the three finger reset. Just make sure you do it twice. My home screen shortcuts disappear the first time, but return the second time I do the reset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7uL...Q&index=3&t=0s

I had the exact same problem happen to me this morning - doing the three finger reset described in this video TWICE worked for me.

securityguy 05-16-2019 07:05 AM

The three finger reset is only a band-aid. Try doing a FULL FACTORY RESET and see if that has a more solid and lasting impact.

firstacura19 06-16-2019 09:07 AM

Mine is at the dealer for the 4th time for this.

It happens with or without CarPlay. The microphone stopped working, the speakers cut out, and then the whole system shuts down. I haven’t even had the car a year. Any solutions? Should I escalate this?

subin 06-16-2019 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by firstacura19 (Post 16440560)
It happens with or without CarPlay. The microphone stopped working, the speakers cut out, and then the whole system shuts down. I haven’t even had the car a year. Any solutions? Should I escalate this?

Yes.
This sounds more serious than most of the members have reported and needs dealer to address it.

ryswilso 07-30-2019 05:25 PM

I posted this in the bulletin but I hope this helps those in my situation.

securityguy 07-30-2019 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by ryswilso (Post 16460608)
https://youtu.be/fcbxGljwp2g

I posted this in the bulletin but I hope this helps those in my situation.

Thank you for reposting but this has been posted several times in the past and is a well known attempt to try to fix a few issues. The better "fix" is to do a full factory data reset through the settings.

ryswilso 07-30-2019 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by securityguy (Post 16460620)
Thank you for reposting but this has been posted several times in the past and is a well known attempt to try to fix a few issues. The better "fix" is to do a full factory data reset through the settings.

Interesting. The full factory reset through settings did not help me and led to me searching for more options (I assume there is only one factory reset). I also disconnected the battery and reset that way.

JDMaccord3.5 08-05-2019 03:17 PM

It is sad to say that I've gotten so many random errors, that the only fix for me is to PULL FUSE #37 (15A), wait a few secs and re-insert. This resets the Infotainment / Audio system

my most recent error last Friday...

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...a9d1a66c4e.jpg

tecwerks 08-09-2019 07:15 AM

I have had this error and when it happens and you change drive mode anyway it REALLY does change. If you look at the center of the display behind the steering wheel you will notice that the mode indicator will change. Also, turned car off, restarted and all was well with the infotainment display.