IIHS Top Safety Pick+ -- Advance trim didn't make the cut

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 09:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 294 Posts
IIHS Top Safety Pick+ -- Advance trim didn't make the cut

I found this weird. The Advance trim is supposed to be better that the lower trims. Yet, IIHS rates only the Standard, Tech, and A-Spec as Top Safety Pick+ (TSP+).
https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve...-door-suv/2019
The Advance trim is let down by its headlights which only managed an Acceptable rating (a Good rating is needed to qualify for TSP+).

The following users liked this post:
JustMe... (10-20-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 12:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought it was the same light?
Old 10-21-2018, 12:52 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisBesu
I thought it was the same light?
I thought the same... However, checking the parts catalog does show different part numbers:

Base/Tech:
Left: 33150-TJB-A01
Right: 33100-TJB-A01

A-Spec: (Probably same light as Base/Tech, but housing is black instead of chrome)
Left: 33150-TJB-A21
Right: 33100-TJB-A21
Right:

Advance:
Left: 33150-TJB-A11
Right: 33100-TJB-A11

I find it interesting the IIHS lists the Advance headlights as "Curve Adaptive". I wasn't aware the RDX Advance had that.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by p07r0457
I thought the same... However, checking the parts catalog does show different part numbers:

Base/Tech:
Left: 33150-TJB-A01
Right: 33100-TJB-A01

A-Spec: (Probably same light as Base/Tech, but housing is black instead of chrome)
Left: 33150-TJB-A21
Right: 33100-TJB-A21
Right:

Advance:
Left: 33150-TJB-A11
Right: 33100-TJB-A11

I find it interesting the IIHS lists the Advance headlights as "Curve Adaptive". I wasn't aware the RDX Advance had that.
Yes the advance model has adaptive headlights which is so damn cool!

I suspect the advance model got a lower score for the headlights because it has the adaptive headlights. See the normal models have 7 forward facing projectors (iirc it's 7) whereas the advance model has 1 on each side aimed to the side (so only 6 on each side facing forward). This small difference in forward light output was enough to reduce it's score. I find that very interesting.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
In another thread on adaptive headlights I posted the findings of the IIHS testing. In summary the adaptive lights scored higher in all tests but one so the headlight performance is actually superior. The negative is there's more glare, in two tests significantly more, for oncoming drivers with the adaptive versus standard. Given the overall lighting performance is better with the adaptive lights the only rational for the lower rating would be the glare issue.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g.../#post16283925

Last edited by MI-RDX; 10-21-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:49 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Yes the advance model has adaptive headlights which is so damn cool!

I suspect the advance model got a lower score for the headlights because it has the adaptive headlights. See the normal models have 7 forward facing projectors (iirc it's 7) whereas the advance model has 1 on each side aimed to the side (so only 6 on each side facing forward). This small difference in forward light output was enough to reduce it's score. I find that very interesting.

Verrry interesting. But stupid.
securityguy (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 11:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog

Verrry interesting. But stupid.
Agreed, incredibly stupid. I don't think glare should be enough reason to demote a model from top safety pick plus to just top safety pick. Seems incredibly convoluted, especially considering it scored better in many categories vs the standard headlights except glare.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:00 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by RDX10
Agreed, incredibly stupid. I don't think glare should be enough reason to demote a model from top safety pick plus to just top safety pick. Seems incredibly convoluted, especially considering it scored better in many categories vs the standard headlights except glare.
Do we even know it is glare? My other car had adaptive headlights and I never saw them glare at an oncoming car as the left did not swivel as much as the right. I bet the Acura headlights are not that aimed as far left as they are right.

It might be something as simple as counting lumens, and the six lens system misses the top level by a lumen or so. Maybe they want (just making up numbers) 5,000 lumens, and the Advance gives 4950.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Do we even know it is glare? My other car had adaptive headlights and I never saw them glare at an oncoming car as the left did not swivel as much as the right. I bet the Acura headlights are not that aimed as far left as they are right.

It might be something as simple as counting lumens, and the six lens system misses the top level by a lumen or so. Maybe they want (just making up numbers) 5,000 lumens, and the Advance gives 4950.
Per the IIHS test it is. Follow the links in my post linked to above back to the original test results. On the IIHS site they document exactly how the test is set up and what they measure. Unfortunately, what they don't do is define the weighting of the various criteria to come up with the final rating.

The effectiveness of the lighting is done by measuring the amount of light hitting sensors set at varying distances, heights, and offsets from the vehicle. In those tests the adaptive lights outperformed the non-adaptive in every measurement except one. What I take from this is, since the IIHS is rating safety and not absolute performance, their position is the glare is significant enough that overall safety is compromised by adversely affecting the vision of oncoming drivers.

Regarding 6 lenses versus 7 my understanding from the 'adaptive headlight thread' is both systems use all 7 LEDs for high beans, but the adaptive system 'borrows' one of the three 'high beam' elements when executing a turn within the parameters of the system. In other words, one of the 3 high beam elements is used both for high beams and when turning.
TacoBello (10-29-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 03:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
All I care about is the integrity of a crash...having the headlights be the source of not getting the PLUS designation means nothing to me.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:08 PM
5th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe though it’s been established in another thread that the U.S. Advance model does not have the adaptive lighting only the Canadian model has it. Even is you look at the spec sheet for the US Advance model it does not list adaptive headlights as a feature. I believe in the other thread a user sent a message to Acura and received a reply providing this information as well. In which case the US Advance model should also receive the Top+ rating. It would annoy me to known I’m not receiving all possible insurance discounts because of an error like this.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mjohnson1288
I believe though it’s been established in another thread that the U.S. Advance model does not have the adaptive lighting only the Canadian model has it. Even is you look at the spec sheet for the US Advance model it does not list adaptive headlights as a feature. I believe in the other thread a user sent a message to Acura and received a reply providing this information as well. In which case the US Advance model should also receive the Top+ rating. It would annoy me to known I’m not receiving all possible insurance discounts because of an error like this.
Interesting. I'll have to dig for that thread. I put a deposit down on a 2019 RDX SH-AWD Advance that is supposed to be arriving soon, and I have a vested interest in this.

I'm inclined to believe that the RDX does have the feature, in the US, based on the different part numbers for the Advance trim. However, I suppose it's possible the US-spec RDX was intended to have them and Acura pulled the feature at the last minute, due to the IIHS rating. If that is the case, it may explain the parts catalog discrepancy, and why the IIHS was testing the Advance w/adaptive-headlights, in the first place. However, as you pointed out, IIHS should update their ratings, if Acura pulled the feature, so insurance companies can properly rate premiums.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by p07r0457
Interesting. I'll have to dig for that thread....
Post #9 in this thread has a link to it.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Post #9 in this thread has a link to it.
IIHS Top Safety Pick+ -- Advance trim didn't make the cut-bqw1psq.jpg
Old 10-21-2018, 11:08 PM
Racer

Well, that thread was a roller coaster.

I don't see anything conclusive, although there is significant evidence to suggest that the US-market RDX Advance does have adaptive headlights. Specifically:
  1. Part numbers are different for Advance headlights, compared to Base/Tech.
  2. The service info at Acura Tech Info includes the adaptive components in the US-market wiring diagrams.
  3. US-market Advance owners confirm the presence of the adaptive headlight controller behind the glovebox.
  4. US-market Advance owners confirm the 5th LED element, from the outside, is aimed approximately 30 degrees outward.
  5. Despite previously stating the US-market RDX Advance does not have adaptive headlights, later communications from Acura Client Relations admit that they need to research the matter, further.
  6. A user contacted the IIHS to inquire about their findings and the IIHS responded that they are accurate, and that they reached out to their contact at Acura who confirmed that the US-market RDX does have adaptive headlights. (technically hearsay)
  7. Acura has released a press release that states the US-market RDX Advance has adaptive headlights.
The major evidence to suggest that US-market RDX Advance does NOT have adaptive headlights:
  1. Acura.com does not list adaptive headlights among the features/specifications for the RDX Advance.
  2. Acura Client Relations has told some people that only the Canadian models feature adaptive headlights.
  3. US-market Advance owners do not see any obvious signs that the system "works" in an adaptive fashion.
The fact that the equipment appears to be installed in US-market Advance vehicles, in the hands of owners, leads me to believe that US-market RDX does have adaptive headlights. However, I do find it odd that Acura would not market that feature. It's possible that they're remaining quiet because they didn't get a IIHS Top+ rating, so they don't want to call attention? It's also possible that Acura has installed the hardware (as it was intended to have the feature) but have disabled it, for some reason. This would explain the part numbers, why owners see additional equipment in their vehicles, but no one see an obvious difference in operation.

I'm curious to see how this unfolds.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:41 AM
Drifting

Well, has anyone who has a US Advance noticed any adaptation in the headlights? On my prior car with adaptive headlights, it was apparent that they were adaptive.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:41 AM
Racer

Well, has anyone who has a US Advance noticed any adaptation in the headlights? On my prior car with adaptive headlights, it was apparent that they were adaptive.
In that thread several owners chimed in that they couldn't tell a difference, but the hardware was there. Thats what makes me wonder if the system is disabled in the US.

Everyone seems to agree that the Canadian-Market RDX Platinum Elite does have the adaptive headlights. I'd be interested to hear from one of those owners whether the system is noticeable, to them. If so, then clearly there is something up with the US-market version. However, if they can't notice it, either, then... Well, that's just odd.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:26 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I do notice on my advance trim that right when I turn the wheel to go around a turn, that area to the direction I’m turning gets brighter. It’s subtle but if you’re watching you can see it.
zroger73 (10-26-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 02:27 PM
Advanced

Also I’ve noticed that when I’m behind a vehicle you can only see 4 jewels lit up.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KK689
Also I’ve noticed that when I’m behind a vehicle you can only see 4 jewels lit up.
That would be normal when in 'low beam'. The 4 outer elements are 'low beam', adding the 3 inner elements makes 'high beam'.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g.../#post16279447
Old 10-22-2018, 02:48 PM
Advanced

Oh. Shows how much I pay attention 😂
Old 10-22-2018, 03:52 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
On my RDX Advance all five outer jewels are illuminated with normal lights, with the two inner ones coming on only with high beam. It is my understanding that with Adaptive lighting, the fifth jewel is angled toward the inside of a turn and only becomes illuminated when the steering wheel is turned. I think Acura is now putting the normal jewel in the fifth spot since the Adaptive system results in 20% less illumination under normal conditions, which affected the IIHS rating. I don't miss the adaptive feature. I do applaud Acura's innovative adaptive design since it has no moving parts.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by B25Nut
On my RDX Advance all five outer jewels are illuminated with normal lights, with the two inner ones coming on only with high beam.....
That's what I thought with mine initially - until I took the pictures I linked to above, it's 4 and 3 as I described. Do the same with yours to see if it's any different from what it appears to be by eye.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:16 PM
Instructor

I just went to the Acura website and the Adaptive Headlights are currently not listed as part of the Advance package. When did you purchase yours? We got ours August 12.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:37 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^ If you're asking me I picked mine up on 8/9 from production the week before.

Read the entirety of the adaptive headlight thread I linked to. If nothing else it will show you how confusing the adaptive feature is based on what's installed in the vehicles versus what's published by Acura (press release compared to published specifications) versus information from IIHS.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:09 PM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
I picked up my Advance yesterday afternoon and later when I was headed home after class at around 8:30 p.m. I actually had the opportunity to witness how the adaptive headlights work.

I wasn't doing a test on purpose (wasn't even thinking about it, frankly), but as I was leaning into a corner I saw an extra beam of light illuminate my right peripheral line of vision briefly as I was turning the steering wheel which then went off as the car straightened out. I just thought, "how cool -- that's what people were talking about."

So, for the record, a U.S. Advance has this system and it works.

BTW, I also saw the auto high beam doing its thing, which has a green icon on the instrumental panel. I got confused and thought I accidentally turned on the regular high beam (blue icon) and in trying to "turn it off," I instead washed my windshield.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:25 PM
Instructor

That's what I thought with mine initially - until I took the pictures I linked to above, it's 4 and 3 as I described. Do the same with yours to see if it's any different from what it appears to be by eye.
MI-RDX: You are right. From certain angles the fifth jewel appears to be illuminated but it must be reflecting light from another jewel. I take back what I posted.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by B25Nut
MI-RDX: You are right. From certain angles the fifth jewel appears to be illuminated but it must be reflecting light from another jewel. I take back what I posted.
Don't feel bad - you're not the first to fall into that trap. It took me three times to see what was actually happening, and then only when I used something other than my naked eye.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by birdonamission
...I wasn't doing a test on purpose (wasn't even thinking about it, frankly), but as I was leaning into a corner I saw an extra beam of light illuminate my right peripheral line of vision briefly as I was turning the steering wheel which then went off as the car straightened out. I just thought, "how cool -- that's what people were talking about."
Finally, someone actually saw it in action.

How far did you have to turn the steering wheel to trigger it?

Old 10-23-2018, 07:21 PM
Pro

Finally, someone actually saw it in action.

How far did you have to turn the steering wheel to trigger it?
I'm sorry, but to be honest, now I'm not so sure...

Just came back from dinner and the Auto High Beam was going to town, lighting up the windy, twisty, dippy, curvy dark country roads very, very nicely and now can't help thinking it might've been Auto High Beam I saw last night coming home from class.

That thing is now one of my favorite features in the car. It just knew when to light up brightly when I needed it and turn off when cars were approaching or going into and coming out of bends, etc. If I really want to know, I will disable Auto High Beam to purposefully check out the adaptive headlights, but I like the former so much, I just might not worry about it.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:06 AM
Advanced

You can see from this picture that the fifth LED doesn’t light up even with the brights on. It must be reserved for the adaptive lights.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:11 AM
Burning Brakes

You can see from this picture that the fifth LED doesn’t light up even with the brights on. It must be reserved for the adaptive lights.

Canadian or US version? This shows how the 7 LED elements function on a US spec Advance (you can clearly see that it's 4 and 3 for low/high beam): https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g.../#post16279447
Old 10-29-2018, 11:12 AM
Advanced

US version
Old 10-29-2018, 11:14 AM
Advanced

I just looked at that thread. That’s odd. My advance doesn’t do that. I bought mine early August 2018.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:28 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I just looked at that thread. That’s odd. My advance doesn’t do that. I bought mine early August 2018.
I believe I red somewhere here, someone got an answer from US Acura that they confirm, US version don't come with adaptive lights, only Canadian version of top of the line (Elite) come with it.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:35 AM
Burning Brakes

It probably does, it's just that the one element that appears to be 'off' is actually angled rather sharply and doesn't show in a reflection. Someone else saw the same as you did but on further investigation determined it was 'on' but the angle was such that it wasn't apparent in your scenario. Do as I did and place something directly in front of the headlights and you should see the 4 and 3 utilization. I took delivery of mine on 8/9 and it was built the prior week.

Edit: Here's a link to the post where someone did the same as you and later discovered the 5th LED was, in fact, on.
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...-972305/page3/

Hmm, messed up the link - but it's post #109 in that thread.

Last edited by MI-RDX; 10-29-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Yotrek
I believe I red somewhere here, someone got an answer from US Acura that they confirm, US version don't come with adaptive lights, only Canadian version of top of the line (Elite) come with it.
That was me. I also contacted IIHS and they were adamant the model they tested was the US version and their contact at Acura confirmed the presence of the adaptive headlights in the US Advance trim.

When I questioned ACS about the discrepancies between 1) IIHS, 2) Acura press release, and 3) the ACS response they said they would research the matter further and get back to me. There has been nothing but deafening silence since then.

(I posted all the emails and replies in the other thread.)
birdonamission (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 11:59 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Yotrek
That has been debunked. The U.S. Advance has curve-adaptive headlights. Read the Acura press release dated 8/14/18 that has been posted on here multipe times.