I traded my '19 RDX Advance SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 08:52 AM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by irishbrahmin
I can say a lot about Lexus since I've owned over ten of them. First, they're bulletproof. I've bought several with 100k+ miles w/o reservation which had no rattles or problems. The only reason I got rid of them was because of an itch to get something newer. The service experience is second to none (and I'm not talking about the food and lounges). I've had service advisors and shop foreman go out of their way to be helpful, including doing some jobs for free (or comping them). ..
But, didn't they want to charge you $8k for a head unit you say you fried doing a nav update on your old GS? This clearly should have been covered under warranty.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:04 AM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by JustMe...
But, didn't they want to charge you $8k for a head unit you say you fried doing a nav update on your old GS? This clearly should have been covered under warranty.
I was actually surprised to learn that some tech isn’t covered under longer term warranty. Not sure about Lexus but when I test drive a Hyundai Santa Fe the salesperson told me a lot of the tech features were not covered for the full duration of their 5 year/60k warranty.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:24 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JustMe...
That happened out of town. I think that my hometown dealership would have handled things differently. But aside from that, even among Lexus dealerships there's a wide spectrum.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:42 AM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by ross7777
I was actually surprised to learn that some tech isn’t covered under longer term warranty. Not sure about Lexus but when I test drive a Hyundai Santa Fe the salesperson told me a lot of the tech features were not covered for the full duration of their 5 year/60k warranty.
Either this was back in 2015 or this salesperson was ignorant.

Hyundai's 5-year, 60,000-mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty covers repair or replacement of any component manufactured or originally installed by Hyundai that is defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance. The exceptions are:
  • Radio and audio systems (i.e., radio, compact disc player, DVD player, navigation system and Bluetooth®): for MY 15 and prior, 3 years/36,000 miles—Equus: 5 years/60,000 miles
  • Radio and audio systems (i.e., radio, compact disc player, DVD player, navigation system and Bluetooth®): for MY 16 and newer, 5 years/60,000 miles for all models
  • Paint: 3 years/36,000 miles
  • Battery: for MY 15 and prior, 3 years/unlimited miles (100% covered 2 years/unlimited miles; after 2 years and within 3 years, 25% cost of battery and 100% labor cost covered)
  • Battery: for MY 16, 3 years/36,000 miles (no proration)
  • Air conditioner refrigerant charge: 1 year/unlimited miles
  • Adjustments: 1 year/12,000 miles
  • Wear items: 1 year/12,000 miles (e.g., belts, brake pads and linings, clutch linings, filters, wiper blades, bulbs and fuses)
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance...arranty.aspx#2
Old 01-17-2019, 10:47 AM
Pro

It was a 2019. Maybe he wanted to sell me an extended warranty....
Old 01-18-2019, 08:32 PM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by zroger73
  • Battery: for MY 15 and prior, 3 years/unlimited miles (100% covered 2 years/unlimited miles; after 2 years and within 3 years, 25% cost of battery and 100% labor cost covered)
  • Battery: for MY 16, 3 years/36,000 miles (no proration)
One nice thing about the Acura warranty, at least for the prior generation, is that the battery is fully covered under the 4yr/50k warranty. If you live in a hot climate, like say Phoenix, it is almost a 100% certainty that the battery won't last 4 years. I just got my battery replaced at no cost on my 40 month old 2016. 32 of those months spent in Phoenix. 40 months is longer than I've had a battery last in the 30 years I lived there so the factory battery performed well.
The following users liked this post:
zroger73 (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 08:48 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Jim7707
One nice thing about the Acura warranty, at least for the prior generation, is that the battery is fully covered under the 4yr/50k warranty. If you live in a hot climate, like say Phoenix, it is almost a 100% certainty that the battery won't last 4 years. I just got my battery replaced at no cost on my 40 month old 2016. 32 of those months spent in Phoenix. 40 months is longer than I've had a battery last in the 30 years I lived there so the factory battery performed well.
I live in a moderate climate and rarely get more than 3-4 years of out any lead-acid battery these days. 20 years ago, it seemed like I rarely replaced batteries. I blame cheaper battery construction and much higher electrical demands on modern vehicles.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:03 PM
Pro

I live in a moderate climate and rarely get more than 3-4 years of out any lead-acid battery these days. 20 years ago, it seemed like I rarely replaced batteries. I blame cheaper battery construction and much higher electrical demands on modern vehicles.
My 2012 Infiniti G37 had the original battery when I traded it in December and my wife's 2013 Highlander still has the original battery. I used to replace at 5 years but I now use a battery tester. 3-4 years seems short to me.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
I live in a moderate climate and rarely get more than 3-4 years of out any lead-acid battery these days....
Best I ever got out of a battery was an OEM Panasonic in a 2002 Toyota Highlander. I replaced it after 7 1/2 years only because I figured I was on borrowed time. The tech in the battery shop checked it out beforehand and confirmed it had no problems and was surprised at it's condition and age.

zroger73 (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 07:15 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
I had a 2001 Toyota Camry that would go through a battery a year. I've also had cars where they last 5+ years. Who knows...
Old 01-19-2019, 04:11 PM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I will NEVER own a BMW ever again. Absolutely the worst cars I've ever had. Fooled me twice and it was shame on me both times. I will never buy one again. Absolute garbage. BMW stands for Break My Wallet.
Could you expand upon your experience with BMW? I’m currently cross-shopping the RDX with a CPO X1 35i xdrive with the I6 from the 335i. The interior is fine but the power train and handling far surpass the RDX. I understand Acura wins on reliability but it’s all relative but just trying figure out how much “fun” I’m giving up for reliability.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by Rmsanger
Could you expand upon your experience with BMW? I’m currently cross-shopping the RDX with a CPO X1 35i xdrive with the I6 from the 335i. The interior is fine but the power train and handling far surpass the RDX. I understand Acura wins on reliability but it’s all relative but just trying figure out how much “fun” I’m giving up for reliability.

I'm not @RDX10, but here's my experience
2015 328i -- No issues other than minor rattles, but N20 timing chain issue was a ticking bomb. Car was under BMW warranty and maintenance to 100K. Only brakes were replaced. LOUSY headlights even with Xenon. (Please pay attention to the headlights in the X1.)
2014 328 -- Lemon buy back because of chassis errors that couldn't be fixed, but had several other issues as well. Enough said.
2003 325i -- Super fun to drive and the last of the ultimate driving machines. Car was under BMW warranty and maintenance to 100K. Several issue under warranty -- (fuel sending units x 2), rattles, ignition coils (left me stranded), power window regulator, moonroof issue, etc. Cost about $4K-$5K per year in maintenance after 100K (I used to drive about 20-25K miles per year). I was very particular about preventative maintenance. To me it was worth it because it felt special.

Just take a close look at the CPO warranty and find out if prepaid maintenance is available and how much it costs. That will give you an idea of what it will cost to maintain the car if you get a bad one. The X1 is considerably smaller than the RDX and it's built on the FWD Mini platform. Seat comfort cannot hold a candle to the RDX.

I think it really depends on what you are looking for. One is big in size and big on luxury. The other is small in size and big on power. I'm not sure I would call the X1 sporty. I have had one as a loaner and wasn't impressed. If I wanted a sporty SUV I would go for the Stelvio (no 6-cylinder option unless you go for the QF which is $$$) or the Macan ($$, $$$ with 6-cyl).

Last edited by anoop; 01-21-2019 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by irishbrahmin
I agree with zroger73. I've owned 12+ Hondas and Acuras over the past 30 years and I continue to be a fan. But for me the RDX just didn't work.

Regarding "zero patience," that doesn't make sense. My unhappiness with the engine and nav layout cannot be fixed with an update. As for the glitches with the infotainment system, who knows if or when Acura will correct them. Right now Honda has well-documented and well-publicized problems with the 1.5T engine in the CRV -- gas diluting the oil. As I understand it, Honda's "fix" isn't a fix (as described and shown in plenty of Youtube videos) and the response from corporate is that (1) the engine is operating as designed and/or (2) owners should let the engine warm up completely on each drive, even if that requires 30+ minutes of driving.

But again, I still love Honda. The best non-luxury car that I've owned was a '01 Accord EX V6. The first new car I ever bought was a '06 Accord EX V6. The first SUV I ever owned was a '00 Passport (passed down from dad, God bless his soul).
since my fiancé got the fix for her 2018 crvthe engine warms up super fast now, within 5-10 minutes of driving and that’s with 0f temps of Minnesota, I do believe there fix was well done, but you have to live in certain states to get it which is just stupid
Old 01-21-2019, 09:59 AM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Don't keep your Explorer passed warranty. I have a '17 Sport fully loaded and I'm about to let it go.

Pros:
1. Powerful
2. Enough Tech for me (folding mirrors, remote start, dual panel sunroof, android auto, AWD (I visit construction sites often so I actually put it to use)
3. Great layout for a family of five. Second row buckets, and split power folding 3rd row.
4. Work acceptable (smh, I work in an industry where lux cars aren't in the parking lots and will get you the side eye)

Cons:
1. Gas tank is SMALL
2. Dealer experience is that of Ford. No loaner cars. No regard AT ALL for your time. Treat you just like they treat a Ford Focus owner or a fleet driver.

Background:
I had a company explorer ('16 XLT) that I put 90K miles on in 2 years. It was solid, reliable, and did everything I needed it to do (minus the annoyingly small fuel tank). I changed companies and opted to get my own Explorer. I tested the Sport and really liked the power bump. After 50K miles in 18 months it started misfiring under heavy RPM. They appear to have an issue with the fuel pump breaking down and sending debris into the fuel system. Mine has been in the shop for almost a month now waiting on a back ordered fuel rail (apparently this is a wide spread issue). From what I understand this is a ~$6K issue. Luckily it's covered under the 60K warranty, but I don't want to caught with the same issue after the warranty is gone. The dealer experience was/is HORRIBLE.
I anticipate picking it up and taking it straight to CarMax....

I used to agree with the sentiment to buy a car that doesn't break down in stead of buying a car with a good dealer experience. I thought that was what I was doing, but when push comes to shove, having that good dealer to fall back on would be beneficial.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:24 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by anoop
I think in the past they tended to share their platforms with Honda (and even do so now, e.g. with the ILX) and that hurts branding (just as Audi used to be considered a rebadged VW).

Also, many of their tech features are not as well executed. BMW's infotainment is head and shoulders above Acura's, and from what little I have seen, Audi's is as well. With the RDX, if I'm in the middle of a phone call, I cannot check the miles to empty or the trip computer, nor do anything with navigation. Also, with the rear camera, the guidelines don't line up exactly with the car, the camera is practically useless when it's raining, and it doesn't stay on at all when moving forward (which helps alignment). I can go on and on, but I think you get the point. This type of execution is about cutting corners.
Not sure if it's the same in the US, but in Canada, my RDX has a camera washer. It helps greatly when it's raining.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by Rmsanger

My experiences were with a 2005 X5 4.4I and a 2008 X5 4.8I. It was just constant repairs for parts that would last much longer on normal cars. Engine oil leaks and burning oil, displays losing pixels to the point of becoming non legible, idrive stopped working so it would reset all my settings, it was just a ton of very expensive repairs and every time I would deal with one thing another thing would pop up just as fast to replace it. Not to mention resale value is absolute shit.

My advice, please stay away from the X1 and grab the RDX. Thank me later. I would get an Audi any day of the week but never ever a BMW. I too was pulled in to BMW with the promise of a great driving experience and sure when it was working it was awesome but it was never really fully working. I reiterate I will NEVER EVER touch a BMW again.

Last edited by RDX10; 01-23-2019 at 03:14 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iforyou
Not sure if it's the same in the US, but in Canada, my RDX has a camera washer. It helps greatly when it's raining.
This is only on the PE though right?
Old 01-23-2019, 03:14 AM
Null and proud of it

Not going to say I trust Audi, but they seem to be doing much better than most of the other Euro brands. That being said, RDX all of the way.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:13 AM
Pro

In the US, only the Advance trim has a camera washer and it works very well - this should be standard on all vehicles. It only costs the manufacturer a few dollars for a plastic nozzle, hose, and fittings and it runs off the windshield washer pump.
securityguy (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 02:18 PM
Suzuka Master

In the US, only the Advance trim has a camera washer and it works very well - this should be standard on all vehicles. It only costs the manufacturer a few dollars for a plastic nozzle, hose, and fittings and it runs off the windshield washer pump.
Agreed! The reverse camera is a brilliant safety innovation that is rendered absolutely useless when conditions are wet or slushy. The washer is the perfect solution. My last 5 vehicles have had a reverse camera and it's useless unless I go and clean it every few days.
zroger73 (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 02:36 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Not going to say I trust Audi, but they seem to be doing much better than most of the other Euro brands. That being said, RDX all of the way.
Audi has figured out their engines and transmissions to the point they're fairly reliable. The problem is the cost to fix is still too high. RDX is nice because under the hood it's a Honda.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:46 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
This is only on the PE though right?
Agreed! The reverse camera is a brilliant safety innovation that is rendered absolutely useless when conditions are wet or slushy. The washer is the perfect solution. My last 5 vehicles have had a reverse camera and it's useless unless I go and clean it every few days.
I'm not sure if it's PE only, but if it's only on the Advance, then it's probably only on the PE haha.

Yup, it's a lovely feature! Without it, it's unusable (like many cars) when it's raining.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:12 AM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by kurtatx
Audi has figured out their engines and transmissions to the point they're fairly reliable. The problem is the cost to fix is still too high. RDX is nice because under the hood it's a Honda.

Like I said before, the one VW I had experience with felt very tight and solid at 180K miles, cost tobfix if it breaks is high, but when it works, it works incredibly well, and given the old track record, it suprises me very much, in retrospect...

But Honda makes some bad ass engines, regardless...
Old 01-24-2019, 12:40 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm not sure if it's PE only, but if it's only on the Advance, then it's probably only on the PE haha.

Yup, it's a lovely feature! Without it, it's unusable (like many cars) when it's raining.
Exactly! I can't believe it's taken this long to trickle down to less ultra lux brands.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:05 AM
Null and proud of it

What is PE? I just can't put it together.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:57 AM
Suzuka Master

What is PE? I just can't put it together.
PE = Platinum-Elite, it is the Canadian trim that is equivalent to Advance in the states. We have a really stupid trim structure in Canada. Base, Tech, A-Spec, Elite, Platinum-Elite. Except the A-Spec has some features not available on the elite such as 16 speakers and ventilated seats and the Elite is like a tech plus 2 small features. It's just stupid IMO.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:28 PM
Null and proud of it

OK. That clears things up, thanks!!!
Old 01-25-2019, 03:19 AM
Suzuka Master

OK. That clears things up, thanks!!!
MM why the hell is your avatar a dragon humping a VW GTI? Like why?
Old 01-25-2019, 03:48 AM
Null and proud of it

MM why the hell is your avatar a dragon humping a VW GTI? Like why?

No one has pointed that out until now, I've had it there for about three weeks now. LOL!

I forget to change it sometimes... I changed when I confirmed "dragoning" to
CCColtsicehock ey's NSX thread... It's been an off/on thing since about October....

IDK, it's different... I know, I've been in 3G Ramblings too much as well...

It seems Taco rage quit again, BTW.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:13 AM
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well said

Originally Posted by securityguy
Did you bother to check the safety ratings of the Explorer??? They are HORRIBLE so I hope you're not letting your wife drive it. You went from an IIHS TSP+ to an IIHS DON'T BUY THIS VEHICLE rating. Lexus to Acura to Ford...I guess a YUGO is next? The resale value on the Ford is also in the toilet.

I certainly wish you the best and understand your frustration but there are a ton of us that LOVE our RDXs and have had a trouble-free experience. I am confident that Acura will handle the software "bugs" and other minor issues that, several of us on this forum feel, some folks are blowing way out of proportion.

@Sounds ...don't be scared away because a few don't like their vehicles. Not everything is for everyone. The RDX is a terrific vehicle but some folks have zero patience and are willing to take it in the wallet.
I completely agree with you .There are many happy owners and I feel bad for those who are having so much trouble, but for every bad post, there are 10 others who are happy, but are just not on this forum.

The following 2 users liked this post by mamat:
JB in AZ (01-25-2019), Stew4HD (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 09:10 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by mamat
I completely agree with you .There are many happy owners and I feel bad for those who are having so much trouble, but for every bad post, there are 10 others who are happy, but are just not on this forum.

Yep! I registered here, and on a few other forums of vehicles I was considering. Did I read about issues here and on the others? Of course. That's what primarily brings folks to the forums, to find a fix, or resolution to an issue. Anyone who has frequented forums for any length of time will tell you that there are far more vocal folks with issues than without. And I bought an RDX after two weeks of intense forum reading, and test driving. It is the best vehicle for my needs, at a price that can't be matched by any of the competitors. Will I experience issues? Probably.

I used to work for a company that had a saying, "Make Raving Fans". They knew unhappy customers would complain, tell everyone they knew about their unsatisfaction.... and happy folks would be silent. They wanted to make customers so happy, that they would RAVE about the company. Same thing applies on forums, happy folks mostly are silent, unhappy folks are vocal.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
...unhappy folks are vocal.
...and repeat themselves (sometimes a lot) so 1 problem seems to be many problems unless you take time to determine how many unique instances are being reported.

Last edited by MI-RDX; 01-25-2019 at 09:59 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MI-RDX:
GW208 (01-25-2019), JB in AZ (01-25-2019), Stew4HD (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 10:00 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
...and repeat themselves (sometimes a lot) so 1 problem seems to be many problems unless you take time to determine how many unique instances are being reported.
Thanks for adding this thought! You are absolutely correct!
Old 01-25-2019, 01:51 PM
Suzuka Master

No one has pointed that out until now, I've had it there for about three weeks now. LOL!

I forget to change it sometimes... I changed when I confirmed "dragoning" to
CCColtsicehock ey's NSX thread... It's been an off/on thing since about October....

IDK, it's different... I know, I've been in 3G Ramblings too much as well...

It seems Taco rage quit again, BTW.
I was wondering why he wasn't posting, I thought he might have been temp banned but he isn't. Any idea what happened?
Old 02-06-2019, 10:04 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can I ask what they offered you in trade amount? I am ready to offload my 19' RDX also.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:09 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The quality control from Acura is crap. My new 19' RDX is full of paint issues. It really makes me upset. I wished I know this before I took it home.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:12 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Damion Goodrich
Can I ask what they offered you in trade amount? I am ready to offload my 19' RDX also.
I don't remember; and unfortunately I'm traveling so I cannot look at my paperwork.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:41 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mamat
I agree forums attract the disgruntled but I still think they are useful for assessing an automobile. Obviously, if you see the same issues over and over there may be some validity to the complaints. You can also see trends as far as engineering vs build issues. Most importantly, while every car has issues, if you cross shop some other cars from different manufactures you can see some have almost no build/quality control issues and most complaints are people disliking design/function. Even if 1 out of 10 RDXs are having an issue, and 9 out of 10 people are happy, no one likes feeling like they’re gambling and hoping they’ll not be the unlucky one when buying a car.

There are enough complaints here and other places to conclude the RDX is having (hopefully) first year build quality issues and that the build is at least inconsistent. For those of you who have fully functional and well made RDXs....that’s awesome. For people who are shopping right now the RDX at this point still represents a (unnecessary) risk IMO. Sure, there are worse choices but then again there are better ones as well.

Last edited by PWMDMD; 02-07-2019 at 05:44 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:03 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Damion Goodrich
It cost me right at $5,000 to own a 2019 RDX Advance for 3-1/2 months.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
I agree forums attract the disgruntled but I still think they are useful for assessing an automobile. Obviously, if you see the same issues over and over there may be some validity to the complaints. You can also see trends as far as engineering vs build issues. Most importantly, while every car has issues, if you cross shop some other cars from different manufactures you can see some have almost no build/quality control issues and most complaints are people disliking design/function. Even if 1 out of 10 RDXs are having an issue, and 9 out of 10 people are happy, no one likes feeling like they’re gambling and hoping they’ll not be the unlucky one when buying a car.

There are enough complaints here and other places to conclude the RDX is having (hopefully) first year build quality issues and that the build is at least inconsistent. For those of you who have fully functional and well made RDXs....that’s awesome. For people who are shopping right now the RDX at this point still represents a (unnecessary) risk IMO. Sure, there are worse choices but then again there are better ones as well.
To add to this, I'm an active member on several forums in including Civic, Accord, CR-V, Ridgeline, and TOV. From what I can see, the RDX seems to suffer from a larger number of complaints that are more common relative to the number of vehicles sold than any of these others. Yes, each of these models have problems and negative characteristics just like anything else, but the RDX comes across as one of the more unfinished and rushed products that is plagued by an unusually high number of issues.

I've owed a lot of vehicles and trade often. Normally, I trade because I get tired of something or something else comes along that I just can't live without. In the case of my RDX, it had so many problems that were above my tolerance threshold that I was willing to take an even bigger loss than normal just to get out from underneath it.
irishbrahmin (02-08-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 06:22 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Every car company has budgetary constraints to what they can do. When I think about Honda/Acura and I read the forums the impression I get is the designers/engineers and the penny pinchers are always in a balttle and the penny pinchers win most of the time. I feel the same way about my 2018 Honda Pilot Touring. It does most things well (7 out 10), nothing exceptionally well, but at the end of the day for everything Honda did right there are a handful of real head scratchers you have to live with which were clearly attempts to keep costs down.

Build quality is a decision and philosophy and clearly something Honda/Acura wants to do just well enough to not really get called out on it but they have no interest in investing in exceptional build quality. This is probably because they are still able to ride the reputation they earned 20+ years ago even though it has not been true for at least the past 10 years. Honda/Acuras are not the most well made and reliable cars and have not been for some time. Toyota/Hyundai do it better.

Quick Reply: I traded my '19 RDX Advance SH-AWD