I traded my '19 RDX Advance SH-AWD

Old 01-07-2019, 01:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Seems like people who are trading in their RDX are doing so because they bought the wrong type/size of car, rather than having bought the wrong car of this particular type/size.

I doubt Acura is worried about this. If people are trading out of an RDX after a few months and jumping into a similar car, that would be more telling. I can’t think of another car in this same segment (vehicle type, size, price point, etc.) that I would currently replace the RDX with.
That's a smart way of looking at it.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:30 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by irishbrahmin
I followed in the footsteps of zroger73 and traded my '19 RDX.

My previous SUV was a '10 Lexus LX570. It was incredibly comfortable and reliable but massive, gas guzzling, and hard to park. So I had to decide what to replace it with. CUVs are all the craze so I decided to play along. But I regretted going down this road soon after buying the RDX. Here are my pros and cons:

Cons:
1. The 2.0T engine is a bit loud and unrefined.
2. The transmission shifting, particularly when cold, is annoying.
3. The nav system leaves much to be desired.
4. The infotainment system generally is glitchy.

Pros:
1. The seats are very comfortable.
2. The ELS system is pretty good - a vast improvement over its predecessors.
3. The handling is great.

I do a LOT of highway driving (and take lots of road trips). Ultimately I decided that I just couldn't force myself to like the car. I know that being a longtime Lexus owner has led me to prefer a heavier and less-busy ride. That's not so much a RDX problem but personal preference. So I decided to trade out of it on 31 Dec., when many dealerships are trying to move stock.

I replaced the RDX with a '18 Ford Explorer Platinum. The one I bought sat in the lot for over 6 mos. so the dealership really wanted to move it. Also, Ford was offering $4k in holiday incentives to move '18 Explorers. So I traded out of the RDX without taking a big hit.

This is my first Ford vehicle since 1987 (my first car was a '75 Granada). So we'll see how it goes! This is nearing the end of the 5th Gen Explorer's run so hopefully most of the bugs have been worked out!
I just spent a month in one of those Explorers (2019 model) as a rental car due to my Jeep Grand Cherokee being totaled. After a month behind the wheel of the Explorer, I ended up not liking it very much. It did have some cool things about it though.

Pros:
- Very cool forward facing camera that offers a super wide angle view
- Navigation system is very intuitive and works well, but the routing often leaves a lot to be desired. I never could figure out some of the dumb logic it uses, even when it's set not to consider traffic conditions when determining a route. Bread crumb feature is pretty cool and useful at times
- Decent highway ride, but a little rough around town on rough roads with the 20" wheels
- Remote start has very good range and the seats & steering wheel heat up quickly in cold weather

Cons:
- The seats suck. Super unconfortable on long or short drives. Super flat seats with almost no bolstering. I think they were designed for fat people
- The 6-speed transmission is a mess. It can be clunky at times and it requires you to floor the accelerator to get it to kick down enough to safely merge on the highway. The transmission is very disappointing
- Small gas tank means frequent fill-ups on road trips. I had the rental Explorer for the holidays and I couldn't even make it from South Jersey to the Poconos and back on one tank of fuel.
- LED headlights are marginal at best. Nowhere near as good as most cars with LED headlights or even HID Xenon headlights. And the Explorer uses incandescent bulbs for the hi-beams
- Radio Reception is abysmal. Not sure if this was a defect with this particular Explorer, but using the seek function often would only pull in one or two radio stations, even close to cities. It was actually ridiculously poor reception

In comparison to my Jeep Grand Cherokee, the Explorer just doesn't compare at all. The Jeep has it beat across the board. I can't think of one thing that's better in the Explorer, with the possible exception of the heated seats and steering wheel. The Jeep has that (along with cooling as well) and it works, but the Explorer seems to heat up faster and even a little hotter. Other than that, the Grand Cherokee is better in every other discernible way. But I guess you're really comparing the Explorer with the RDX and that's a harder comparison because the vehicles are really in different classes and so very different overall.

Last edited by Tom2; 01-10-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:35 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by Sounds
What's wrong with the Navigation? I'm aware of the Infotainment bugs but wasn't aware of Nav issues.
Honestly, the navigation system on the 2019 RDX is horrible. Compared to other factory systems, it's so lacking in features that it's ridiculous. You can't even set the zoom level on the map. You don't even get an address book. It's not intuitive to use and the voice controls don't work all that well either. Trying to send a destination to the car is hit or miss, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The entire entertainment system should have been designed with simplicity in mind. Or at least make it intuitive to use.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:43 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom2
Honestly, the navigation system on the 2019 RDX is horrible. Compared to other factory systems, it's so lacking in features that it's ridiculous. You can't even set the zoom level on the map. You don't even get an address book. It's not intuitive to use and the voice controls don't work all that well either. Trying to send a destination to the car is hit or miss, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The entire entertainment system should have been designed with simplicity in mind. Or at least make it intuitive to use.
Man oh man... I'm seriously starting to have doubts about buying an RDX. I'm really not sure what I'm gonna do.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:48 PM
Unregistered Member

Man oh man... I'm seriously starting to have doubts about buying an RDX. I'm really not sure what I'm gonna do.
It's a good car, but just don't buy it for the infotainment or navigation system. I think Acura may have really skimped on the navigation system thinking that most people will use Waze or Goodle maps for navigation instead, which is even more likely with Android Auto and Apple Car Play. So maybe that's why they made the factory navigation system so bare bones, but I think that's a major mistake. The lack of an address book in the navigation system is simply inexcusable. Who else does that?
Old 01-10-2019, 12:51 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
This is very true.

My grandmother used to tell my mom who used tell me, "When in doubt, do without."
Old 01-10-2019, 12:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
It's a good car, but just don't buy it for the infotainment or navigation system. I think Acura may have really skimped on the navigation system thinking that most people will use Waze or Goodle maps for navigation instead, which is even more likely with Android Auto and Apple Car Play. So maybe that's why they made the factory navigation system so bare bones, but I think that's a major mistake. The lack of an address book in the navigation system is simply inexcusable. Who else does that?
I was thinking that too.. regarding most using phone apps as to why Acura really glossed over the interface.. strange since they seem to tout high tech..
Old 01-10-2019, 01:12 PM
Racer

I think Acura may have really skimped on the navigation system thinking that most people will use Waze or Goodle maps for navigation instead, which is even more likely with Android Auto and Apple Car Play.
Except there's still no Android Auto.

The lack of an address book in the navigation system is simply inexcusable.
Yep.
The following users liked this post:
JB in AZ (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 01:52 PM
Pro

The 2020 Ford Explorer's exterior didn't change dramatically, but the interior, electronics, and powertrain did.

The Explorer has reverted to a rear-drive platform and now comes standard with a 300 HP 2.3L turbo I4 or optional 365 HP 3.0L turbo V6 - both with the 10-speed auto that's been used in other Ford and GM vehicles.

https://jalopnik.com/2020-ford-explo...ion-1831624020
Old 01-10-2019, 02:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by zroger73
The 2020 Ford Explorer's exterior didn't change dramatically, but the interior, electronics, and powertrain did.
The Explorer has reverted to a rear-drive platform and now comes standard with a 300 HP 2.3L turbo I4 or optional 365 HP 3.0L turbo V6 - both with the 10-speed auto that's been used in other Ford and GM vehicles.
Looks like someone left their iPad on the dash.

zroger73 (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 02:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 645 Likes on 347 Posts

does this really come like that lol please say this is a joke, that's a laptop

Old 01-10-2019, 02:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by GhostTL09
No more of a joke than the current Toyota Prius, Ram 1500, Volvos, Teslas, and other vehicles with relatively large, central touchscreens in a portrait orientation.

Last edited by zroger73; 01-10-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:29 PM
Unregistered Member

Putting a tablet style screen in that orientation is a trend now. First time I saw that was in a Tesla. Now Volvo has it in most of their vehicles. And now Ford in the upcoming Explorer. But you know what? It makes sense. It's a better orientation for navigation maps for sure.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 645 Likes on 347 Posts
Putting a tablet style screen in that orientation is a trend now. First time I saw that was in a Tesla. Now Volvo has it in most of their vehicles. And now Ford in the upcoming Explorer. But you know what? It makes sense. It's a better orientation for navigation maps for sure.
initial impression is weird to me. at least lower it into the center stack. Either way looking at a screen at eyelevel or 6 inches lower is still distracting but I don't want to feel there is a computer monitor blocking my line of sight.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:34 PM
Racer

No more of a joke than the current Toyota Prius, Ram 1500, Volvos, Teslas, and other vehicles with relatively large, central touchscreens.
Except that most of those have a better implementation. This one literally looks like someone set their iPad up on the dash and just left it there.
zroger73 (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 02:43 PM
Pro

initial impression is weird to me. at least lower it into the center stack. Either way looking at a screen at eyelevel or 6 inches lower is still distracting but I don't want to feel there is a computer monitor blocking my line of sight.
Huh? Eye level is the safer height to view a display instead of having to look down.

The top of the RDX's widescreen display appears no higher than the Explorer's. In fact, the RDX's display appears to be higher.

Except that most of those have a better implementation. This one literally looks like someone set their iPad up on the dash and just left it there.
The first time my mom rode in my RDX, she asked sincerely with a perfectly straight face, "Is that your iPad?" (She's in her 60's, but uses two iPads daily.)
Old 01-10-2019, 02:56 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I just spent a month in one of those Explorers (2019 model) as a rental car due to my Jeep Grand Cherokee being totaled. After a month behind the wheel of the Explorer, I ended up not liking it very much. It did have some cool things about it though.

Pros:
- Very cool forward facing camera that offers a super wide angle view
- Navigation system is very intuitive and works well, but the routing often leaves a lot to be desired. I never could figure out some of the dumb logic it uses, even when it's set not to consider traffic conditions when determining a route. Bread crumb feature is pretty cool and useful at times
- Decent highway ride, but a little rough around town on rough roads with the 20" wheels
- Remote start has very good range and the seats & steering wheel heat up quickly in cold weather

Cons:
- The seats suck. Super unconfortable on long or short drives. Super flat seats with almost no bolstering. I think they were designed for fat people
- The 6-speed transmission is a mess. It can be clunky at times and it requires you to floor the accelerator to get it to kick down enough to safely merge on the highway. The transmission is very disappointing
- Small gas tank means frequent fill-ups on road trips. I had the rental Explorer for the holidays and I couldn't even make it from South Jersey to the Poconos and back on one tank of fuel.
- LED headlights are marginal at best. Nowhere near as good as most cars with LED headlights or even HID Xenon headlights. And the Explorer uses incandescent bulbs for the hi-beams
- Radio Reception is abysmal. Not sure if this was a defect with this particular Explorer, but using the seek function often would only pull in one or two radio stations, even close to cities. It was actually ridiculously poor reception

In comparison to my Jeep Grand Cherokee, the Explorer just doesn't compare at all. The Jeep has it beat across the board. I can't think of one thing that's better in the Explorer, with the possible exception of the heated seats and steering wheel. The Jeep has that (along with cooling as well) and it works, but the Explorer seems to heat up faster and even a little hotter. Other than that, the Grand Cherokee is better in every other discernible way. But I guess you're really comparing the Explorer with the RDX and that's a harder comparison because the vehicles are really in different classes and so very different overall.
I don't disagree with you on the merits of the JGC. Here's what I said above on post #11:

I owned a '16 JGC Summit 5.7L. Good looking vehicle and fun to drive. The big problem is the air suspension system. It proved to be very unreliable in cold weather which left me stranded on the side of the road. The problems with Quadra-Lift are well known. Perhaps FCA will update the air suspension system in the next gen JGC due in '20.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:00 PM
Advanced

Indeed!

Given how often we change cars, I'm already thinking ahead! So far there are 3 in the mix:

1. Lincoln Aviator
2. redesigned Jeep Grand Cherokee (Summit)
3. redesigned Ford Explorer (Platinum)
Old 01-11-2019, 07:26 AM
Advanced

Is the 3.0L a second-generation Ecoboost wtih both direct and port fuel injection?

The Ipad-like screen is a bit off-putting. I think the Lincoln Aviator looks much better.

I'm curious to see what the '20 Jeep Grand Cherokee will look like. Also, there's talk on the Jeep forums that FCA will replace the 5.7L Hemi with a twin-turbo V6.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
I shouldn't talk because I get flak here for calling out RDX quirks and comparing to likes of Mazda but Ford Explore has some serious safety issue (one of the worst IIHS rating for SUV) and also poor reliability record.

Good luck with your new vehicle!
Old 01-11-2019, 07:45 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by acuraada
I shouldn't talk because I get flak here for calling out RDX quirks and comparing to likes of Mazda but Ford Explore has some serious safety issue (one of the worst IIHS rating for SUV) and also poor reliability record.

Good luck with your new vehicle!
No problem!

As noted above, this is just an interim vehicle. The next one will be a Lincoln Aviator, next gen JGC, or possibly a next gen Explorer.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:17 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by irishbrahmin
Is the 3.0L a second-generation Ecoboost wtih both direct and port fuel injection?

The Ipad-like screen is a bit off-putting. I think the Lincoln Aviator looks much better.

I'm curious to see what the '20 Jeep Grand Cherokee will look like. Also, there's talk on the Jeep forums that FCA will replace the 5.7L Hemi with a twin-turbo V6.
The 2020 Grand Cherokee will be a carryover from the 2019 models. You'll have to wait until 2021 for the new generation.

BTW, I'm on my third Grand Cherokee with the air suspension and I haven't had any issues with any of them. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:36 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts

Yeah, but can you pinch and zoom that bad boy? Me jealous.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:37 AM
Suzuka Master

That interior is UGLY!!! It looks so damn cheap and minivan like.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Ford is not known for their interiors...I have never liked their dash layouts.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:15 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Here's a minivan.

Had one as a loaner, loved it.

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 01-12-2019 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Love it!
Old 01-12-2019, 09:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Here's a minivan.
Had one as a loaner, loved it.
My friend just bought a new Odyssey. It's really nice. Makes me think I should just buy a Passport Elite when it comes out and call it a day (it's very similar inside).

P.S. - I love the blue ambient lighting as seen in that picture.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:26 AM
Null and proud of it

My friend just bought a new Odyssey. It's really nice. Makes me think I should just buy a Passport Elite when it comes out and call it a day (it's very similar inside).

I'd love to check out the new Passport when it comes out. My loaner was an EX-L so it didn't have the ambient lighting, but I fugured it would look nice to compare to that Ford puctured above.

I made a video of it, posted it in THIS thread!

BTW, it drove really nicely and was really fast!

Old 01-12-2019, 09:35 AM
Racer

I'd love to check out the new Passport when it comes out. My loaner was an EX-L so it didn't have the ambient lighting, but I fugured it would look nice to compare to that Ford puctured above.

I made a video of it, posted it in THIS thread!

BTW, it drove really nicely and was really fast!
I went on a long drive with him in his new Odyssey Elite and he pointed out all the great features about it (the Passport has all the same features). I like the RDX a lot, and still might get it (I'm torn) but the Passport Elite has LOTS of good things going for it. And yeah, his Odyssey drove great. I'm not a minivan guy but I'll check out your video.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Isn't the Passport more of the MDX size?

Old 01-12-2019, 11:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
Isn't the Passport more of the MDX size?
The Passport is the size of the RDX and Subaru Forester. The Pilot is the size of the MDX
Rmsanger (01-19-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 12:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by securityguy
The Passport is the size of the RDX and Subaru Forester. The Pilot is the size of the MDX
Right . I forgot about the Pilot.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:31 PM
Suzuka Master

That sad moment when a minivan from a lesser brand has better ambient lighting than a premium SUV....yes I'm upset about it still lol.
zroger73 (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 12:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by securityguy
Well, not quite. The CRV is a closer match to the RDX and Forester. The Passport is 4" longer than the RDX and 8-1/2" longer than the Forester. More importantly, at nearly 79" wide, it's far wider than both (74.8" and 71.5" respectively). Sharing the wheelbase and overall width the Pilot, the Passport should feel nearly as ponderous as its big brother from behind the wheel.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:48 PM
Racer

That sad moment when a minivan from a lesser brand has better ambient lighting than a premium SUV....yes I'm upset about it still lol.
I want ambient lighting, damn it. And I don't care how much less I have to pay!
Old 01-12-2019, 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
It's completely outclassed by the Aviator's swanky interior, as it should be, but I don't hate it. The Platinum trim pictured below looks darn good to me for a mainstream brand, and is in a completely different league than the current car's. I'm not a fan of rotary shifters, but it's still better than Honda's button arrangement. I don't like the appearance of the portrait style touchscreen, either, but in my experience, such placements are less distractive and far more functional on the road. Plus, Ford maintained redundant controls for many functions. When it comes to a center stack, I'll take function over form any day.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:42 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I hope you saw the crash test on it and that the IIHS said not to buy it and you knew they were changing the model for 2020.

2020 Explorer:
https://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/2020/

Crash tests:
- CBS New Video on it's poor safety.

Last edited by rgoldd; 01-14-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:11 PM
Null and proud of it

Passport seems cool. A V6 in a smaller package. Will have to observe one once released.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:23 AM
Racer

Passport seems cool. A V6 in a smaller package. Will have to observe one once released.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
If only the RDX had better ambient lighting, 4K resolution back up camera and LED tail lights with more HP and a lower price.. if only

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I traded my '19 RDX Advance SH-AWD