I traded my '19 RDX Advance SH-AWD

Old 01-03-2019, 03:30 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I traded my '19 RDX Advance SH-AWD

I followed in the footsteps of zroger73 and traded my '19 RDX.

My previous SUV was a '10 Lexus LX570. It was incredibly comfortable and reliable but massive, gas guzzling, and hard to park. So I had to decide what to replace it with. CUVs are all the craze so I decided to play along. But I regretted going down this road soon after buying the RDX. Here are my pros and cons:

Cons:
1. The 2.0T engine is a bit loud and unrefined.
2. The transmission shifting, particularly when cold, is annoying.
3. The nav system leaves much to be desired.
4. The infotainment system generally is glitchy.

Pros:
1. The seats are very comfortable.
2. The ELS system is pretty good - a vast improvement over its predecessors.
3. The handling is great.

I do a LOT of highway driving (and take lots of road trips). Ultimately I decided that I just couldn't force myself to like the car. I know that being a longtime Lexus owner has led me to prefer a heavier and less-busy ride. That's not so much a RDX problem but personal preference. So I decided to trade out of it on 31 Dec., when many dealerships are trying to move stock.

I replaced the RDX with a '18 Ford Explorer Platinum. The one I bought sat in the lot for over 6 mos. so the dealership really wanted to move it. Also, Ford was offering $4k in holiday incentives to move '18 Explorers. So I traded out of the RDX without taking a big hit.

This is my first Ford vehicle since 1987 (my first car was a '75 Granada). So we'll see how it goes! This is nearing the end of the 5th Gen Explorer's run so hopefully most of the bugs have been worked out!
Old 01-03-2019, 04:52 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Yikes. Very telling for those of us that are still car shopping.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:08 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Well, bye!
The following 5 users liked this post by Dizzyg12:
Ender01 (01-15-2019), markm929 (01-04-2019), nist7 (01-16-2019), securityguy (01-03-2019), Stew4HD (01-04-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 07:14 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very interesting, Lexus to Acura to Ford.......

My wife just got a white/beige w/adv after trading in a 2010 LS460. The 460 is ultra luxury and so I was not so sure she was going to like the RDX. She, so far, is in love. It seems like you were right, you were trying to make yourself like it and that is not possible.
Good luck with the Ford. I hope you enjoy it. HNY
Old 01-03-2019, 07:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by irishbrahmin

I replaced the RDX with a '18 Ford Explorer Platinum. The one I bought sat in the lot for over 6 mos. so the dealership really wanted to move it. Also, Ford was offering $4k in holiday incentives to move '18 Explorers. So I traded out of the RDX without taking a big hit.

This is my first Ford vehicle since 1987 (my first car was a '75 Granada). So we'll see how it goes! This is nearing the end of the 5th Gen Explorer's run so hopefully most of the bugs have been worked out!
Did you bother to check the safety ratings of the Explorer??? They are HORRIBLE so I hope you're not letting your wife drive it. You went from an IIHS TSP+ to an IIHS DON'T BUY THIS VEHICLE rating. Lexus to Acura to Ford...I guess a YUGO is next? The resale value on the Ford is also in the toilet.

I certainly wish you the best and understand your frustration but there are a ton of us that LOVE our RDXs and have had a trouble-free experience. I am confident that Acura will handle the software "bugs" and other minor issues that, several of us on this forum feel, some folks are blowing way out of proportion.

@Sounds ...don't be scared away because a few don't like their vehicles. Not everything is for everyone. The RDX is a terrific vehicle but some folks have zero patience and are willing to take it in the wallet.
The following 4 users liked this post by securityguy:
Ender01 (01-15-2019), oz13ms (01-04-2019), Shadow2056 (01-19-2019), Stew4HD (01-04-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 08:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
This is not a trend, just a few people regretting their purchase. Hope you didn't make another mistake with your choices. I am happy with mine. Others??
Old 01-03-2019, 08:13 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by the_kid_hartford
very interesting, Lexus to Acura to Ford.......
I went from Toyota to Acura to Kia.......
Old 01-03-2019, 09:31 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
This is my first Acura and I love my trouble-free '19 RDX!
The following 2 users liked this post by MarineOne:
romer (01-04-2019), _korangar (01-09-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 09:36 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by MarineOne
This is my first Acura and I love my trouble-free '19 RDX!
I want another, dig the avatar!
Old 01-03-2019, 11:42 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
If I were tempted by the dark side, it would be a Grand Cherokee, not an Exploder. It looks better at roadside while you're waiting for a tow. And a JGC can actually take you somewhere off-road in between breakdowns.

But I will admit I have concerns about my decision to downsize from Pilot/MDX, as illustrated by the fact that I seem to spend most of my time driving a 14 year old MDX and leaving the RDX parked in the garage.

This has less to do with frustrations about the electronics and more to do with practicality.

Also, my dogs object to being flung against the walls of the car in corners, and I just can't help myself in the RDX!
The following users liked this post:
phillyman1998 (02-13-2020)
Old 01-03-2019, 11:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wander
If I were tempted by the dark side, it would be a Grand Cherokee, not an Exploder. It looks better at roadside while you're waiting for a tow. And a JGC can actually take you somewhere off-road in between breakdowns.

But I will admit I have concerns about my decision to downsize from Pilot/MDX, as illustrated by the fact that I seem to spend most of my time driving a 14 year old MDX and leaving the RDX parked in the garage.

This has less to do with frustrations about the electronics and more to do with practicality.

Also, my dogs object to being flung against the walls of the car in corners, and I just can't help myself in the RDX!
I owned a '16 JGC Summit 5.7L. Good looking vehicle and fun to drive. The big problem is the air suspension system. It proved to be very unreliable in cold weather which left me stranded on the side of the road. The problems with Quadra-Lift are well known. Perhaps FCA will update the air suspension system in the next gen JGC due in '20.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:01 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the comments!

Regarding mid-size SUVs/CUVs, I developed a short list:

1. Lexus RX 350 F-Sport
2. Toyota Highlander Limited Platinum
3. Audi Q7 Prestige CPO

Regarding the RX, the quality is excellent. But I just cannot force myself to like the exterior styling.

The Highlander was okay but even the highest trim is not really luxurious. The infotainment is also quite antiquated.

Finding a CPO Q7 optioned up with dynamic cruise, etc.would cost well north of 60k.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:14 AM
9th Gear

Yikes I would have chosen the RX350 out of that list hands down even if the styling looks a little weird.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Thanks for the comments!

Regarding mid-size SUVs/CUVs, I developed a short list:

1. Lexus RX 350 F-Sport
2. Toyota Highlander Limited Platinum
3. Audi Q7 Prestige CPO

Regarding the RX, the quality is excellent. But I just cannot force myself to like the exterior styling.

The Highlander was okay but even the highest trim is not really luxurious. The infotainment is also quite antiquated.

Finding a CPO Q7 optioned up with dynamic cruise, etc.would cost well north of 60k.
Regarding the Highlander - make sure you take a couple of extended test drives before deciding.

I dumped an '18 Limited for the RDX because it was mind-numbing and frustrating to drive - even more so if you're coming from any kind of 'performance' oriented vehicle (mine was a '14 Cadillac SRX). It's a fairly well designed CUV that reliably does what it's supposed to, like a refrigerator. It's an appliance for moving people and stuff from one place to another but you'll derive no enjoyment in the process. Particularly frustrating was the transmission programming - even in sport + power mode it was insistent at staying in, or shifting to, the highest gear possible for as long as or as soon as possible. Also had a TON of squeaks, rattles and other miscellaneous noises just like the 2 prior ones I've owned - you'd think that after producing the vehicle since '01 at least some of them would have been addressed.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:47 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Regarding the Highlander - make sure you take a couple of extended test drives before deciding.

I dumped an '18 Limited for the RDX because it was mind-numbing and frustrating to drive - even more so if you're coming from any kind of 'performance' oriented vehicle (mine was a '14 Cadillac SRX). It's a fairly well designed CUV that reliably does what it's supposed to, like a refrigerator. It's an appliance for moving people and stuff from one place to another but you'll derive no enjoyment in the process. Particularly frustrating was the transmission programming - even in sport + power mode it was insistent at staying in, or shifting to, the highest gear possible for as long as or as soon as possible. Also had a TON of squeaks, rattles and other miscellaneous noises just like the 2 prior ones I've owned - you'd think that after producing the vehicle since '01 at least some of them would have been addressed.
The absence of squeaks and rattles mean a lot of me, so I took the Explorer on a long,extended test drive before purchase. After purchase I had a 150 mi. drive back home. No squeaks and rattles and the transmission shifts just fine. I understand that Ford uses 3 different trannys in the Explorer, and the Sport and Platinum get a different one than the Limited (due to the twin turbo V6). As for driving enjoyment, at this point I'm happier with a solid highway cruiser.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:31 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Wander
But I will admit I have concerns about my decision to downsize from Pilot/MDX, as illustrated by the fact that I seem to spend most of my time driving a 14 year old MDX and leaving the RDX parked in the garage. This has less to do with frustrations about the electronics and more to do with practicality
@Wander Can you expand on this a bit? What do you mean? (thanks!)

Old 01-04-2019, 07:54 AM
Cruisin'

I agree with Cons 1 3 4
Old 01-04-2019, 09:53 AM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by securityguy
I am confident that Acura will handle the software "bugs" and other minor issues that, several of us on this forum feel, some folks are blowing way out of proportion.

The RDX is a terrific vehicle but some folks have zero patience and are willing to take it in the wallet.
Is it too much to ask that a brand new vehicle operates as advertised and intended? Life's too short to wait around for fixes that may or may not happen.

Listen, I'm a HUGE Honda nut - I've purchased 11 of them over the last 13 years. I enjoy their safety, reliability, and resale value. Affordability isn't a problem and I'm not married to any one manufacturer - I buy what I like. Unfortunately, my RDX just had too many issues. Yes, I screwed up by not buying AWD and didn't realize how much I actually needed a pickup, but those mistakes are my fault and weren't the primary reasons I traded my RDX for another Ridgeline after a few months.

The RDX is very important to Acura and is the best thing to come from the brand in years. I hope the product improves and I'm sure it will in time, but I'm not waiting around in a vehicle that I dread driving.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:59 AM
mch
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Just turned over 10K miles and I love my RDX. I have had two of the common issues though, Limp mode at high speed overtaking, and the whole infotainment system crashing which required a restart. Otherwise I haven't had any complaints. But I am not coming from a luxury car so I can't really say to much bad.. I had a WRX. So the RDX is definitely not remotely loud in that comparison... and the nav and infotainment is like 1000x better.
romer (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 10:21 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase. Definitely you are one in thousands lol!

Rushing and buying a car isn't ideal. Ford lol! Good luck and have lots of fun
Old 01-04-2019, 12:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by zroger73
Is it too much to ask that a brand new vehicle operates as advertised and intended? Life's too short to wait around for fixes that may or may not happen.

Listen, I'm a HUGE Honda nut - I've purchased 11 of them over the last 13 years. I enjoy their safety, reliability, and resale value. Affordability isn't a problem and I'm not married to any one manufacturer - I buy what I like. Unfortunately, my RDX just had too many issues. Yes, I screwed up by not buying AWD and didn't realize how much I actually needed a pickup, but those mistakes are my fault and weren't the primary reasons I traded my RDX for another Ridgeline after a few months.

The RDX is very important to Acura and is the best thing to come from the brand in years. I hope the product improves and I'm sure it will in time, but I'm not waiting around in a vehicle that I dread driving.
I agree with zroger73. I've owned 12+ Hondas and Acuras over the past 30 years and I continue to be a fan. But for me the RDX just didn't work.

Regarding "zero patience," that doesn't make sense. My unhappiness with the engine and nav layout cannot be fixed with an update. As for the glitches with the infotainment system, who knows if or when Acura will correct them. Right now Honda has well-documented and well-publicized problems with the 1.5T engine in the CRV -- gas diluting the oil. As I understand it, Honda's "fix" isn't a fix (as described and shown in plenty of Youtube videos) and the response from corporate is that (1) the engine is operating as designed and/or (2) owners should let the engine warm up completely on each drive, even if that requires 30+ minutes of driving.

But again, I still love Honda. The best non-luxury car that I've owned was a '01 Accord EX V6. The first new car I ever bought was a '06 Accord EX V6. The first SUV I ever owned was a '00 Passport (passed down from dad, God bless his soul).
Old 01-04-2019, 12:47 PM
Racer

What's wrong with the Navigation? I'm aware of the Infotainment bugs but wasn't aware of Nav issues.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:49 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
The navigation has been terrible on Acuras for more than a decade so that shouldn't be a surprise. I just don't use it lol.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:15 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Congrats on the new purchase. Definitely you are one in thousands lol!

Rushing and buying a car isn't ideal. Ford lol! Good luck and have lots of fun
According to the RDX sales thread, 63,500 RDXs sold YTD as of Dec '18, with a fair number certainly being 2019 models, so I would agree one in thousands. I can't see that many have been sold this soon.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:18 PM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

My previous SUV was a '10 Lexus LX570. It was incredibly comfortable and reliable but massive, gas guzzling, and hard to park. So I had to decide what to replace it with. CUVs are all the craze so I decided to play along. But I regretted going down this road soon after buying the RDX. Here are my pros and cons:

Cons:
1. The 2.0T engine is a bit loud and unrefined.
2. The transmission shifting, particularly when cold, is annoying.
3. The nav system leaves much to be desired.
4. The infotainment system generally is glitchy.

Pros:
1. The seats are very comfortable.
2. The ELS system is pretty good - a vast improvement over its predecessors.
3. The handling is great.

I do a LOT of highway driving (and take lots of road trips). Ultimately I decided that I just couldn't force myself to like the car. I know that being a longtime Lexus owner has led me to prefer a heavier and less-busy ride. That's not so much a RDX problem but personal preference. So I decided to trade out of it on 31 Dec., when many dealerships are trying to move stock.

It's fascinating how opinions can differ greatly from driver to driver, I do 99% highway driving as well, lots of it. I'm also not thrilled with my 2019 RDX, but I don't hate it either. The transmission isn't the smoothest, but I'm getting used to it and I'm finding it's fine, but definitely a bit jerky. You found the seats comfortable, I find them very uncomfortable, definitely not seats worthy of the "luxury" moniker. In fact I find the entire ride uncomfortable and reminiscent of a CRV, mainly because I feel every single bump and hole I drive over and the steering (even in sport +) is still quite disconnected and sloppy. Handling is decent for a CUV, it just feels disconnected. The infotainment system is adequate, nothing great but it gets the job done and I don't notice it anyway because I use carplay, don't have the Nav because IMO they all stink and are nowhere near as good as just using google maps or waze. Overall my gripe with the 2019 RDX is that it's not a "luxury" vehicle, but more like a top specced Honda, which isn't a bad thing but it's not what I was expecting. I know it's a hot selling car, but I wonder if they are attracting luxury buyers or just mainly convincing mainstream buyers to pay a little more. I don't think I would switch over to a Ford Explorer though, sounds like a pretty drastic downgrade even from the RDX.

zroger73 (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 01:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by gtssenior
According to the RDX sales thread, 63,500 RDXs sold YTD as of Dec '18, with a fair number certainly being 2019 models, so I would agree one in thousands. I can't see that many have been sold this soon.
When I traded mine on Monday, the dealership let me see the live auction data on a manager's computer. It showed that so far one '19 RDX Advance SH-AWD has sold at auction. Of course, there might be others sold or for sale on dealer lots.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:22 PM
Pro

When I traded mine on Monday, the dealership let me see the live auction data on a manager's computer. It showed that so far one '19 RDX Advance SH-AWD has sold at auction. Of course, there might be others sold or for sale on dealer lots.
...including my FWD Advance that I paid $44,500 for and traded in 3.5 months later for $39,500. The dealer is asking $44,780. Of course, it shouldn't sell for that since you can buy a new one for less.

A search for "used 2019 RDX" on Autotrader.com shows 186 listings. According to those with free CARFAX reports, some of these were dealer demos, but many were purchased by individuals then sold/traded only months later. These vehicles have only been on the market for seven months. Are there really that many people who trade every few months are is this a result of problems and unhappy buyers? Food for thought.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:25 PM
Racer

These vehicles have only been on the market for seven months. Are there really that many people who trade every few months are is this a result of problems and unhappy buyers?
Good point.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:39 PM
AZ Community Team

Simple math:
Acura sold about 64K units this year and let's say 30K units are from the 2019 model.
If 100 buyers have traded or returned their RDX. That equals 0.33%. I can assure you 100% that Acura RDX isn't the only car that's facing this issue....My previous boss traded his Infiniti EX35 (now QX50) within 6 weeks. He just found it very small and got an X3 back in 2011 if I am not mistaken.

Also, I was checking Montreal area and I found 2 demo RDX but I was able to find more than 10 QX50. How do you explain this?
Old 01-04-2019, 02:44 PM
AZ Community Team

Just to be precise: only one RDX with 10,000KM available in my region and seven 2019 QX50s.
That means Infiniti is selling their cars at discounts since they cannot sell them at the MSRP.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:51 PM
Pro

NO vehicle should have so many problems that buyers are willing to take a bath by trading it in within months of purchase, but clearly some do. Since the average ownership period of a vehicle is seven years, somebody has to offset those who keep their rides for twice that long.
irishbrahmin (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 03:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
...Are there really that many people who trade every few months are is this a result of problems and unhappy buyers? Food for thought.
I've done it 3 times in my life for various reasons. The ride prior to the RDX lasted a bit over 8 months. The other 2 'early turnovers' were at about 11 months of ownership. I've also kept the same vehicle for over 7 years at least 3 times. I guess I'm either real happy or real not happy.

zroger73 (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 03:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mch
Just turned over 10K miles and I love my RDX. I have had two of the common issues though, Limp mode at high speed overtaking, and the whole infotainment system crashing which required a restart. Otherwise I haven't had any complaints. But I am not coming from a luxury car so I can't really say to much bad.. I had a WRX. So the RDX is definitely not remotely loud in that comparison... and the nav and infotainment is like 1000x better.
I would say going into limp mode on a brand new car is a pretty big complaint. Glad you're still happy though.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:11 AM
Null and proud of it

NO vehicle should have so many problems that buyers are willing to take a bath by trading it in within months of purchase, but clearly some do. Since the average ownership period of a vehicle is seven years, somebody has to offset those who keep their rides for twice that long.

Two years is when I start to love the car. After seven, I'm married! :wink:
Old 01-06-2019, 09:29 PM
Advanced

...including my FWD Advance that I paid $44,500 for and traded in 3.5 months later for $39,500. The dealer is asking $44,780. Of course, it shouldn't sell for that since you can buy a new one for less.
It looks like mine sold after 3 days. The dealer was asking $44,900.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:53 PM
Null and proud of it

It looks like mine sold after 3 days. The dealer was asking $44,900.

How much did you pay, how many miles?

Seems like soneone got a deal, maybe...
Old 01-06-2019, 09:54 PM
Null and proud of it

I asked the OP?

I'll just scroll to page 1.

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 01-06-2019 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Opp
Old 01-06-2019, 11:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Seems like people who are trading in their RDX are doing so because they bought the wrong type/size of car, rather than having bought the wrong car of this particular type/size.

I doubt Acura is worried about this. If people are trading out of an RDX after a few months and jumping into a similar car, that would be more telling. I can’t think of another car in this same segment (vehicle type, size, price point, etc.) that I would currently replace the RDX with.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:00 AM
Null and proud of it

I guess the RDX is so nice people buy it on impulse.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:05 AM
Racer

Yeah it would be worse if someone traded in a RDX for a Q5 or X3

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I traded my '19 RDX Advance SH-AWD