How is the RDX in snow/icy conditions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 05:52 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is the RDX in snow/icy conditions?

Hi everyone,
Long time Jeep owner here, but I am in the market for a new vehicle and the new RDX is near the top of that list. One of my biggest concerns living in New England is the performance of the RDX in the snow and icy conditions. I don’t do any off-roading, but sometimes the occasional dirt or back road that may not be in the greatest shape so ground clearance might be an issue?

With my Jeep Grand Cherokee I can pretty much go whereever I want and don’t have to worry about the road conditions being too difficult for the Jeep. Does anyone here have experience driving their new RDX in these conditions? How does it handle driving in a couple inches of unplowed snow or sloppy slushy roads?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-03-2019, 10:08 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
All good in the D

Originally Posted by Jeremy Tallman
Hi everyone,
Long time Jeep owner here, but I am in the market for a new vehicle and the new RDX is near the top of that list. One of my biggest concerns living in New England is the performance of the RDX in the snow and icy conditions. I don’t do any off-roading, but sometimes the occasional dirt or back road that may not be in the greatest shape so ground clearance might be an issue?

With my Jeep Grand Cherokee I can pretty much go whereever I want and don’t have to worry about the road conditions being too difficult for the Jeep. Does anyone here have experience driving their new RDX in these conditions? How does it handle driving in a couple inches of unplowed snow or sloppy slushy roads?

Thanks in advance!
Detroit suburb driver. Car is excellent in the conditions you mentioned. With stock Adavance tires I have had no issues with 4-6 inches of unplowed road. Good over icy and wet rain as well. You really see the difference in cornering and turns with SHAWD.

I think the only issues is ground clearance. Another forum member (Derek?) put a vidoe if him driving in Minnesota after a snow storm.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:12 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
In the Sierra's with an A-Spec SHAWD. Changed the Goodyears over to Continental WinterContacts in November. Glued to the road. I have never owned a vehicle more sure-footed.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Marino Moutafis

Detroit suburb driver. Car is excellent in the conditions you mentioned. With stock Adavance tires I have had no issues with 4-6 inches of unplowed road. Good over icy and wet rain as well. You really see the difference in cornering and turns with SHAWD.

I think the only issues is ground clearance. Another forum member (Derek?) put a vidoe if him driving in Minnesota after a snow storm.

I will say it was great driving around, AWD is great for normal and snowy driving, tires on the A-aspec kinda suck, having real winter tires on this would make it a beast. But I did try to drive through a 3 ft snow bank and I got stuck 😂😂 weird thing I had the back 2 tires on the ground and the front right but the front left was held up because of the snow under the car, the car wasn’t able to put much power to the back in reverse, in forward gears it could but I was battling a huge heavy snow bank, in the end we had to dig out the car in the front and it took 3 of us pushing, I will say when I got stuck I had snow half way up my driver door and could not open it, so it seems it’s really good at putting power to the rear when driving forward, not so much going backwards, it was actually better putting power to the rear with traction control on also interestingly when I was stuck. Also my rear tires were on compacted snow that was glazed over in the rear so not much traction honestly all around, the RDX has a lot of flat panels under the front of the car to protect it, so if you drive through snow that is too deep and sink the car is literally being held up by snow at that point
Old 03-03-2019, 03:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I got Pirelli Scorpion winter tires on my RDX Awd, driving in New England this winter was a breeze.
This car is going to have a superior performance in any winter driving conditions, BUT with good set of winter tires.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:24 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
For Alberta winters the RDX is as good as any half ton 4x4 I've owned, with trucks being the reference standard for handling winter conditions. The only criticism I can put forth against the RDX is the traction control is a bit intrusive at times. Turning left across a slick intersection.....the slightest wheel spin causes the power to shut down. This is not ideal in such situations. A quick press of the traction control disable button peels back enough of the nanny to mitigate the issue.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:49 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak

I will say it was great driving around, AWD is great for normal and snowy driving, tires on the A-aspec kinda suck, having real winter tires on this would make it a beast. But I did try to drive through a 3 ft snow bank and I got stuck 😂😂 weird thing I had the back 2 tires on the ground and the front right but the front left was held up because of the snow under the car, the car wasn’t able to put much power to the back in reverse, in forward gears it could but I was battling a huge heavy snow bank, in the end we had to dig out the car in the front and it took 3 of us pushing, I will say when I got stuck I had snow half way up my driver door and could not open it, so it seems it’s really good at putting power to the rear when driving forward, not so much going backwards, it was actually better putting power to the rear with traction control on also interestingly when I was stuck. Also my rear tires were on compacted snow that was glazed over in the rear so not much traction honestly all around, the RDX has a lot of flat panels under the front of the car to protect it, so if you drive through snow that is too deep and sink the car is literally being held up by snow at that point
RDX has an open differential at the front, no "limited slip" capability like it has at the rear diff. So it's completely dependent on brake-based traction control to prevent spinning the unweighted front wheel in the conditions you describe. That's pretty much a worst-case scenario.

But yeah, this is why I have compact snow shovels in all our cars for winter. And I'm not afraid to use them. Same with the Jeep Grand Cherokees and other crossovers I have owned. If you float the vehicle on dense snow, you're digging and/or calling for a tow, no matter what you're driving.

In more typical slippery conditions, 2019 RDX SH-AWD is great. But I do run winter tires to give myself an extra margin of safety, especially when I'm out chasing snow.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
RDX in Toronto Snow

Our 3G RDX has 19" Bridgestone Blizzak DM V2's and it was solid this past winter in Toronto. It briefly lost traction twice (1/4 second) in wet/icy conditions but recovered quickly. It's far better then our AWD Sienna with Michelin Xice 2's.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:18 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
I’ve been just fine in delaware and Pa snow storms. A spec Stock Goodyear’s.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:08 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,

I too have an RDX with the same Bridgestone Blizzak tires. I have only limited experience in snow. The car feels pretty solid and it is easy to forget that there is snow on the ground. It was not until I got to a stop sign that on braking the Anti-Lock brakes kicked in. At that point you suddenly realize that yes snow is more slippery and even with brand new snow tires, there are physical limits which are substantially different to dry road scenarios.

Best, Mike.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From all I’ve seen the SH-AWD system is great in snow etc. the only issue like others have said is ground clearance. So if you are driving in snow higher than 5.7 inches you may run into some issues. Add snow tires to the mix you have a very good machine in the snow from all that I’ve seen.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
For what it's worth, I did a lot of research on AWD and snow. The conventional wisdom says that snow tire (vs all season) is far more important than AWD. That said, the AWD system that the RDX has is perhaps the best you can get in terms of snow traction. The clutch packs for each wheel and the vehicles ability to match the power requirement at a per wheel level when turning makes it as good as an AWD or 4WD system can get.