How many immediate problems with 2019 RDX are too many?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 10:04 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog

If you do decide to get a Gen 3 RDX, I suggest deciding NOT to drive around with the parking brake on. Lord knows what problems that would cause.
On the current gen, the parking brake automatically releases when you press the accelerator.
The following users liked this post:
nothome17 (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 07:39 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Back to the original question of how many problems are too many.
My threshold for the early life of a new high end vehicle such as the new RDX is:

One problem if it keeps the car from going from point a to point b
Two repair appointments for the same problem, meaning repeat visit for same issue
Three different minor problems
Old 08-24-2018, 12:59 PM
10th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Update from the OP - Acura have very much stood behind their product, all the way up to the national level.

End result is that all the (many) minor problems have been tested and fixed where repeatable. More importantly, the warranty has been extended with a complimentary AcuraCare contract extending the coverage to 8 years/120,000 miles with a $0 deductible. Hope we don't need to use it much!

Excited to get the vehicle back later today...
Curious3GTL (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 02:15 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you give a run down of what was actually fixed?
Old 08-24-2018, 02:49 PM
10th Gear

After I have had it back a few days and can confer a lack of re-occurrences - sure...
Old 08-24-2018, 03:42 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by BeatboyUK
Update from the OP - Acura have very much stood behind their product, all the way up to the national level.

End result is that all the (many) minor problems have been tested and fixed where repeatable. More importantly, the warranty has been extended with a complimentary AcuraCare contract extending the coverage to 8 years/120,000 miles with a $0 deductible. Hope we don't need to use it much!

Excited to get the vehicle back later today...
That's great news! Please keep us informed on if the harsh 2-3 upshifting was fixed, and if they used the "clutch break-in" procedure that was discussed in the last OnePack video.

Just out of curiosity, how many miles are on the car?
Old 08-24-2018, 04:48 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog

If you do decide to get a Gen 3 RDX, I suggest deciding NOT to drive around with the parking brake on. Lord knows what problems that would cause.

May I ask what ever made you choose to drive around with the parking brake on?
Certainly. The parking brake had no indicator saying it was on and no warning telling you either(as it is supposed to). It wasn't intentional. My wife never uses the parking brake and I drove the car to meet her and she drove it home. She inadvertently left it on as nothing told her it was on. She figured it was just driving funny. 30 miles at highway speeds pretty much tore the system up. When I asked my salesperson about it, he sent me a video of anther RDX and what it did when the parking brake was left on. Ours had never done this since we picked it up. Apparently a connector was never hooked up at the factory. This is just one of the litany of issues our 16 has had. We will be getting rid of it soon. It has never been a good car for us.

If the post of the issues BeatboyUK is any indication, Acura still has many issues. The new transmission may be just as bad as ours is. We joke about how rough it shifts(down shifts / up shifts, whatever) every time we drive the car. It has to be one of the worst automatics I have ever experienced over its 50k miles. My '11 Tacoma's 4-sp auto is a paragon of smoothness in comparison. Others here talk about how butter smooth the RDX 6-sp transmission is. Not mine, nor any of the many loaner 16, 17 and 18 RDX loaners I have driven.

Last edited by chickdr; 08-24-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, I’ve been and Acura customer since 1990, but I’ve NEVER had any issues with any of my 3 Acura’s, so of course I don’t really know how good they are if there are problems. Therefore I’m gonna wait till the 2020 comes out., I’m mostly concerned about “limp mode”
Old 08-25-2018, 09:48 AM
2nd Gear

I have experienced all these issues except seal failure and high beam problems. I heard today that ACURA stopped shipping the 2019 RDX, not sure for how long, to fix major systems. Has anayone else heard about this? These are major issues and the Dealership is going to “check out” the car this Tuesday. I sense they are finally acknowledging there are issues. I’ll see what they do but working with them will be problematic in that they will do everything in their power not to switch out the car. I am concerned that this will get ugly. Have any of your issues been resolved? The road departure mitigation is dangerous as you say. Mine frequently drifts into oncoming traffic so I have to be very vigilant. My wife won’t even use it. The last loaner they gave me, a 2017 MDX worked perfectly and had a very robust lane departure system, not at all wimpy like the 2019 RDX. The other thing that really bugs me is that the lane departure only works after you hit 45mph, th MDX and other ACURAs I’ve driven work at slower speeds. And, don’t get me started on the system errors, horrible!
Old 08-25-2018, 03:31 PM
Cruisin'

Wow, where did you hear they may stop shipping? I would imagine they are worried about future lawsuits ( if someone was injured or killed) I have a feeling you won’t have any problem getting your issues addressed. The last thing Acura wants is publicity about these serious issues. Best of luck to you.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Stephen R
...I heard today that ACURA stopped shipping the 2019 RDX, not sure for how long, to fix major systems...
Where did you hear that? Source please. I haven't even heard a whisper other than your comment.

Last edited by MI-RDX; 08-25-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Where did you hear that? Source please. I haven't even heard a whisper other than your comment.
Posts like the one stating a freeze is put on shipping new vehicles to fix problems makes those that already have their vehicle jittery in wondering if their vehicle is flawed and a ride away from having a serious problem. Maybe a future recall is in the cards to make it right. Maybe there is nothing to this and nothing more than the statistical probability that a subset of vehicles have a bad component from perhaps a supplier. I am not going to worry about this until I hear more.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gtssenior
...I am not going to worry about this until I hear more.
Neither am I.

One very real possibility is we are witnessing the birth of an internet rumor.

GW208 (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 07:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
I have experienced all these issues except seal failure and high beam problems. I heard today that ACURA stopped shipping the 2019 RDX, not sure for how long, to fix major systems. Has anayone else heard about this? These are major issues and the Dealership is going to “check out” the car this Tuesday. I sense they are finally acknowledging there are issues. I’ll see what they do but working with them will be problematic in that they will do everything in their power not to switch out the car. I am concerned that this will get ugly. Have any of your issues been resolved? The road departure mitigation is dangerous as you say. Mine frequently drifts into oncoming traffic so I have to be very vigilant. My wife won’t even use it. The last loaner they gave me, a 2017 MDX worked perfectly and had a very robust lane departure system, not at all wimpy like the 2019 RDX. The other thing that really bugs me is that the lane departure only works after you hit 45mph, th MDX and other ACURAs I’ve driven work at slower speeds. And, don’t get me started on the system errors, horrible!
you shouldn’t be feeling unsafe in your vehicle. Acura should be able to download the data for analysis but the dealer might not so I would get a dash cam video to them and ask for a replacement. This concerns your safety and you shouldn’t take this lightly.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
. More importantly, the warranty has been extended with a complimentary AcuraCare contract extending the coverage to 8 years/120,000 miles with a $0 deductible. Hope we don't need to use it much!.
Is that available in writing somewhere? I'm hoping to pick up my new RDX in a week or so and I'd like to get this included it the contract.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:17 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I heard today that ACURA stopped shipping the 2019 RDX, not sure for how long, to fix major systems. Has anayone else heard about this?
I would love if the OP would expand on this...or elaborate on where they heard it from. I'm trying to dispel this as a rumour but I also have the option of backing out before my A-spec is delivered next week. I have no problem waiting another month or so if it means major bugs are being ironed out.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:37 AM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I'd like to see a source too. I have friends that work at corporate they have not heard anything. If anything they are saying the RDX is selling like hotcakes.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pirate Princess
Is that available in writing somewhere? I'm hoping to pick up my new RDX in a week or so and I'd like to get this included it the contract.
It was offered as compensation for the troubles he was having - it's not something included in the sale unless your dealer is 'very' generous, or hiding the cost somewhere.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
It was offered as compensation for the troubles he was having - it's not something included in the sale unless your dealer is 'very' generous, or hiding the cost somewhere.
Thanks for the clarification. I knew that was too good to be true. I read the "We" and thought it was the proverbial we.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:50 PM
Intermediate

First issue with RDX today... I was driving when the nav restarted. When it came back on it kept going between dim and bright. Have not been back in the car yet to confirm if it's fixed or not. Not sure issue.... Hopefully a future software update resolves these issue? Car is 1 week old at this point (200 miles).
Old 08-27-2018, 02:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cgprelude
First issue with RDX today... I was driving when the nav restarted. When it came back on it kept going between dim and bright. Have not been back in the car yet to confirm if it's fixed or not. Not sure issue.... Hopefully a future software update resolves these issue? Car is 1 week old at this point (200 miles).
I have had a couple of transient errors related to the infotainment system (audio systems and navigation). They are brief and return to normal. Nothing yet to move me to take the time to go in for service on them and if I did, the issues would probably not be re-creatable on demand. So far they are just minor anomalies from time to time and eventually there will be a cleanup update. The glass is mostly full with respect to my experiences with this vehicle after a couple of months.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:55 AM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
I have had a couple of transient errors related to the infotainment system (audio systems and navigation). They are brief and return to normal. Nothing yet to move me to take the time to go in for service on them and if I did, the issues would probably not be re-creatable on demand. So far they are just minor anomalies from time to time and eventually there will be a cleanup update. The glass is mostly full with respect to my experiences with this vehicle after a couple of months.
Mine has been in service for 1 week now as I presented Acura with a "Laundry List" of issues with the Infotainment system. I hope by seeing the issues I reported, they will be fast to provide a system update.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:09 PM
10th Gear

Let me preface this update with the disclaimers 'this is all I know' and 'It is just what I was told', but with that in mind...

Our new RDX has about 800 miles on it so far.
1. The 'wind noise' is related to the optional roof rack (and the recommended crossbeam placement being quite far back to line up visually with the pano roof)
2. The gear shifting does seem smoother post-repair, but I am not sure exactly what was done and whether it was the OnePack approach or not.
3. The Road Departure Mitigation issues are due to many of the highway exits in my part of Western Washington not having road markings on them - they just peel off to the right, and RDM is following the edge of the road, so... (I have turned things down to warning only, and the diving has stopped (though I do await a software update to fix this and have been given hope that one is coming, but probably not for a few months).
4. The majority of the infotainment issues seem to be linked to having Carplay connected at the same time, and Acura expects those issues to be resolved with the iOS 12 update (and they may well have been exacerbated by the fact that I am running the iOS 12 beta on my phone). I have been told to expect an over the air update in 4-6 weeks to help complete the improvements from Acura's end.
5. Some parts have been replaced (HUD, headlight sensors) and the new ones have not yet displayed issues.
6. Direct sunlight on the HUD and Info Screens are known to Acura to be causing overheating issues, especially in hotter climates - that has been flagged as a national issue in need of a fix.

5 days into having the car back, I am willing to think that this has been a lot of teething troubles, many of which are now remedied and any of which re-occur will be covered by the new car warranty and then the extended warranty - I consider this a fair solution and outcome all around.

Oh, and in my dealings with local, regional and national Acura reps, all of which seemed to show exceptional transparency and customer service, I heard nothing about any issues that were causing ANY consideration of stopping shipping, only that the biggest issues were around meeting high demand, especially for A-Spec and Advance vehicles.

Consider me to be a 'cautiously optimistic' RDX beta tester at this point - which is happily a long way forward from where I started this thread at.
The following 7 users liked this post by BeatboyUK:
billyt1963 (09-02-2018), catbert430 (08-28-2018), cengel (08-28-2018), dukeh62 (08-28-2018), GW208 (08-28-2018), Jeffro941 (08-28-2018), SUVGuy (08-30-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-28-2018, 03:44 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
4. The majority of the infotainment issues seem to be linked to having Carplay connected at the same time, and Acura expects those issues to be resolved with the iOS 12 update (and they may well have been exacerbated by the fact that I am running the iOS 12 beta on my phone). I have been told to expect an over the air update in 4-6 weeks to help complete the improvements from Acura's end.
This is very promising. Carplay has caused many annoying issues for us and we had hoped such an update would fix it. Thanks for providing the information.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:09 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I haven't used Carplay as much as I expected to, since it totally locked up the first time, and is giving me 'skips' on Amazon music via Carplay.

OTOH, the Acura Nav has not been as bad as I expected, but the Sirius XM, while convenient, has crappy sound. Bluetooth Amazon music sounds better than XM, IMO. We are all still searching.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:09 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Let me preface this update with the disclaimers 'this is all I know' and 'It is just what I was told', but with that in mind...
8>< (snip)

3. The Road Departure Mitigation issues are due to many of the highway exits in my part of Western Washington not having road markings on them - they just peel off to the right, and RDM is following the edge of the road, so... (I have turned things down to warning only, and the diving has stopped (though I do await a software update to fix this and have been given hope that one is coming, but probably not for a few months).

8><
Consider me to be a 'cautiously optimistic' RDX beta tester at this point - which is happily a long way forward from where I started this thread at.
As a test try turning the Lane Departure Mitigation on while using the leftmost lane if possible and see if it stays true and doesn't try to follow the right edge of the road. I was reading about the fatal Tesla autopilot crash in California and the working theory is the car drove straight into an energy absorbing guard rail that was previously "accordianed" by an earlier crash and not yet repaired. This was where the freeway split into two (ie a full speed exit on the left), but the new left lane was paved in black asphalt and the old freeway was concrete. The Tesla's autopilot camera mistook the dark/light edge as the lane marking and drove straight into the barrier at around 71mph

Source: https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1333371&page_number=2&piddl_ms gorder=thrd#msgs

As a former computer engineer, I love and embrace technology, but I understand and respect its limitations.

Last edited by ednigma; 08-28-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:29 PM
Racer

I have had tugs on the steering wheel where the car wants to align itself with vacated ground over lane lines from a construction lane shift. The lines are still visible but not as visible as the newly painted in service lane lines. Bottom line and there are many cautions about this sort of thing in the manuals - don't relax and delegate judgement to the technology. These aren't driver-less cars yet. .
Old 08-28-2018, 10:04 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
I have had tugs on the steering wheel where the car wants to align itself with vacated ground over lane lines from a construction lane shift. The lines are still visible but not as visible as the newly painted in service lane lines. Bottom line and there are many cautions about this sort of thing in the manuals - don't relax and delegate judgement to the technology. These aren't driver-less cars yet. .

AKA personal responsibility
Old 08-28-2018, 11:37 PM
2nd Gear

My 2019 RDX is in the shop today with a long laundry list of system problems as I have outlined before. I have clearly documented and a copy was sent to the Dealer’s rep. My documentation is now on record and I am anxious to hear the outcome. I refuse to accept a brush off. Incidentally, theloaner 2017 MDX had none of the problems that were occurring in my car which I have pointed out to them several times. I’ll keep you posted. The Dealership did admit there was Factory issues with some of the new 2019 RDX vehicles and cars were not shipped until a fix was initiated. I am not clear on how many cars were affected but I feel from all I’ve read and my own experiences, that more cars have been affected and thelist will grow. How long for a real fix is unknown. I feel my car is unsafe to drive until the issues have been addressed and resolved.
GaHokie (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 08:48 AM
Racer

My 2019 RDX is in the shop today with a long laundry list of system problems as I have outlined before. I have clearly documented and a copy was sent to the Dealer’s rep. My documentation is now on record and I am anxious to hear the outcome. I refuse to accept a brush off. Incidentally, theloaner 2017 MDX had none of the problems that were occurring in my car which I have pointed out to them several times. I’ll keep you posted. The Dealership did admit there was Factory issues with some of the new 2019 RDX vehicles and cars were not shipped until a fix was initiated. I am not clear on how many cars were affected but I feel from all I’ve read and my own experiences, that more cars have been affected and thelist will grow. How long for a real fix is unknown. I feel my car is unsafe to drive until the issues have been addressed and resolved.
Today is day 8 that my RDX has been in service for the many issues I reported. The Acura Tech team and the dealership are going over the Infotainment system and are replicating many of the issues I have reported. I received a 2018 RDX Loaner that I have been driving in the mean time. Not sure when I will get my vehicle back, but I hope by allowing them to see all of the issues, they will get serious about fixing them.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:21 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Meto
Today is day 8 that my RDX has been in service for the many issues I reported. The Acura Tech team and the dealership are going over the Infotainment system and are replicating many of the issues I have reported. I received a 2018 RDX Loaner that I have been driving in the mean time. Not sure when I will get my vehicle back, but I hope by allowing them to see all of the issues, they will get serious about fixing them.
Good Luck!! My dealer kept mine for nearly a week. He replaced the defective HUD but then compared my reported problems with other RDX Advance models he had recently received. They have the same problems so nothing else was "fixed". My return receipt just says "other reported problems working as expected", ha ha. I'm still waiting for Acura Corporate to call me as they promised to do after opening a case number. It's been two weeks and I'm still waiting for the call. I think the dealers are doing what they can but there really needs to be a software update to fix many of the known problems. Meanwhile they enjoy the record sales and just leave us hanging. So far we only get lip service.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:24 PM
Cruisin'

How has the loaner been performing? Any problems yet?
Old 08-29-2018, 07:30 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
More input on the recirculate problem with the climate control in "auto mode". My neighbor has a 2016 RDX Advance and I had the opportunity to explore how his climate control system functioned. It works exactly as expected. When the temp setting is turned about 4 degrees below the cabin temperature the airflow changes to recirculate. When the cabin temperature approaches the set point the airflow changes back to fresh air. While in recirculate mode the "auto" climate control system will switch to fresh air if you raise the cabin temperature to the actual temperature of the cabin. The 2019 RDX Advance "auto" climate control never switches to fresh air.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
While those having no/few complaints do not post on message boards with the propensity that those who have problems do, the litany of gripes here and elsewhere says that Acura definitely put the new RDX out before they had done enough tests to make sure that basic things were not going to be regular issues. I have a deposit on a Performance Red Advance for which I believe I have a pretty good deal, and I am not easily scared off, but I am almost ready to take a financial hit and cancel this deal and wait until a) Acura gets their act together, or b) I find a car I like better with fewer complaints. My vision of a new car is not spending endless hours at the dealer to fix basic things.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by K-redd
How has the loaner been performing? Any problems yet?
No problems, but it is a base model and it is missing the things I bought the new RDX for. Plus, it is a dog on the highway
Old 08-30-2018, 11:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pearl77
While those having no/few complaints do not post on message boards with the propensity that those who have problems do, the litany of gripes here and elsewhere says that Acura definitely put the new RDX out before they had done enough tests to make sure that basic things were not going to be regular issues. I have a deposit on a Performance Red Advance for which I believe I have a pretty good deal, and I am not easily scared off, but I am almost ready to take a financial hit and cancel this deal and wait until a) Acura gets their act together, or b) I find a car I like better with fewer complaints. My vision of a new car is not spending endless hours at the dealer to fix basic things.
I feel the same way, so decided to cancel mine already. No deposit to lose, so the decision was easier in that regard. Probably will pick up an XC60 instead.

Many thanks to all who post here, what a great forum this was to stay informed on the RDX. Feel like I owe you all something for all the great info, so if anyone with a white pearl RDX would like a free unused touch-up paint I had already ordered off EBay, that’s the only money I’m going to be out on this. First person to PM me gets it, once I contact you, you can give me your address and I’ll mail it.

Best of luck to everyone with their cars, hope Acura gets things all squared away for you soon!

Last edited by Akari; 08-30-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Totally understandable. The early adopters are probably leasing or not afraid to spend the time at dealerships. First year model is always tough. That’s why Consumer Report always advise against purchasing first year redesign regardless of past reliability scores.

This is simply a rule of thumb. The more you repeat the better you will get. The plant is newly adopted to build 2019 RDX; design, parts, plant, process and people are all new. Given Honda knows how to built quality cars, these problems should go away even before 2020 model rolls around
Old 08-30-2018, 02:00 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Meto
No problems, but it is a base model and it is missing the things I bought the new RDX for. Plus, it is a dog on the highway
What is it doing, or not doing, on the highway that causes you to say it is a dog?
Old 08-31-2018, 06:19 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Well I now have firsthand experience with the 19 RDX as they gave me one for a loaner today when I dropped of my '16. Initial impressions? Not good. The 10-sp auto is just as jerky as my 06's 6-sp. Honda still can't do automatics. The 2-3 shift is particularly rough(every time I might add) which I have read is pretty common. I have tried both D and S modes with no difference. Other gripes? I don't like the character lines in the hood on either side. They are distracting while driving with the amount they stick up. I don't like the leather's design pattern or the grill with its huge logo. The drivers cockpit is very confining to me with the floating center console. I also don't care for the engine sound and character of the motor. My friend has a new 530i with the 2.0T and 8-sp transmission. The BMW's engine is much smoother and the sound is quite pleasant in comparison. The transmission is seamless at all times. I have driven the car for extended trips and have never once noticed a harsh shift A Mazda CX-5 I recently rented had a far smoother power train as well. Pluses? The base stereo is excellent. Sounds comparable to the ELS system in my '16. I assume the new ELS is great. I also like the interiors aluminum trim.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:33 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say the 2019 RDX is not the car for you. I on the other hand am in love with mine. The infotainment system is a little quirky, but I expect Acura to remedy that. I could not be happier with the fit, finish, handling and interior of the car

Quick Reply: How many immediate problems with 2019 RDX are too many?