How many immediate problems with 2019 RDX are too many?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 12:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Wireless carplay is already supported. You can get it on a BMW.
iOS 12 suppose to have easier integration. this means we will never see it in the ‘19 RDX then. I am hopefully that it will atleast update so that google maps and waze will work via CarPlay
Old 08-07-2018, 12:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by BeatboyUK
Quick update to say that service, sales and GM of dealership, plus the regional factory rep are all involved and trying to sort everything out.
I have no complaints about the customer service, at least!
good to know that both Acura and the dealership stand behind the product
Old 08-07-2018, 01:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Yeah whatever, it's all good, no reason to get into a fuss over it

Honestly not surprised whatsoever that there are a bunch of electronic issues. I was telling everyone that I would wait a minimum of a year and got a bunch of people telling me "but Acura used the same engine and transmission in the Accord so it must be bullet proof" in another thread a couple months ago.

I'm sure a lot of the issues can be worked out via software and firmware updates, what has me most worried actually is that 2-3 gear shift people are talking about. It could be as minor as a software update (it often is on many new cars) but could be something as major as a mechanical issue such as that in early TLX's. Yes I know that other transmission was not at all related, just using it as an example of how sometimes software updates won't solve the issue. The last thing I would want is the dealer tearing into my brand new 50k car to put in a new transmission.
I honestly would love to wait a year as well, but my lease is up in November. Same thing happened in 2015 when my TL was up, so I'm in a bit of a quandary for myself. Hope some of the issues are worked out by November, or go to a 19' TLX, which is a little vanilla now that I've had it for 3 years. My cycles off (sorry to sound like a teenage girl), so I'll have to figure out the best course of action over the next 3 months.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by bottlerocket
I honestly would love to wait a year as well, but my lease is up in November. Same thing happened in 2015 when my TL was up, so I'm in a bit of a quandary for myself. Hope some of the issues are worked out by November, or go to a 19' TLX, which is a little vanilla now that I've had it for 3 years. My cycles off (sorry to sound like a teenage girl), so I'll have to figure out the best course of action over the next 3 months.
In your situation I would not get another TLX and just go for the RDX. They are selling rather quick and there is a good chance that picking one up in November means you're getting a later built one. Buying one 6 months into production is still much much better than buying one of the first ones IMO. Besides you already tried the TLax (that was not intentional but makes sense to me) so I personally would want to try something new.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:14 PM
Intermediate

In your situation I would not get another TLX and just go for the RDX. They are selling rather quick and there is a good chance that picking one up in November means you're getting a later built one. Buying one 6 months into production is still much much better than buying one of the first ones IMO. Besides you already tried the TLax (that was not intentional but makes sense to me) so I personally would want to try something new.
I'm leaning that way. Once the current lease offer runs out on 9/4, I'm hoping the money factor improves and I'll start negotiating on an advance, or possibly aspec, model. It will be my fist entry into the SUV world, so I'm curious how I'll ultimately like it. If not, an RDX would not be a difficult vehicle to break a lease early with, assuming the next TLX takes the same stylistic jump the RDX did. We might even get a TILX, if they combine the models again.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
I'm leaning that way. Once the current lease offer runs out on 9/4, I'm hoping the money factor improves and I'll start negotiating on an advance, or possibly aspec, model. It will be my fist entry into the SUV world, so I'm curious how I'll ultimately like it. If not, an RDX would not be a difficult vehicle to break a lease early with, assuming the next TLX takes the same stylistic jump the RDX did. We might even get a TILX, if they combine the models again.
Haha I really hope they don't combine the TLX and ILX, the TLX is already small enough!! It's funny because I have only ever driven SUVs and I rented a sedan last fall for a few weeks partially to try it and I hated every second of it. So it's going to be SUVs for life for me. What makes SUVs so attractive to me is the seating position, the height, the space, the capability as well. I know most of these crossovers are not meant to go off road and the city here does plow the roads during winter, but there are sometimes a few days before they get to it or we have an unexpectedly high amount of snow over a couple hours and being in a higher ground clearance awd crossover is soooo much better than a low car IME.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts

You can keep the lease going month to month for I believe at least another year or 2.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KeithL

You can keep the lease going month to month for I believe at least another year or 2.
I'll look into that. I've extended a lease for 3 months before, so I'll double check my options.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:02 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Is that Acura Care? Longest term I've seen for that is 8 years.
Sorry for the delay. This was the warranty offered through my dealer, and I had the option of choosing up to 10 years and took that when I negotiated the price down. It covers every aspect of the vehicle (minus normal wear and tear stuff) including the alternator which I was surprised about. Given cars are becoming more like computer machines than mechanical machines, the likelihood of having issues beyond the standard warranty period will be higher as technology seems to not have as much staying power.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by TLMDXRDX
...This was the warranty offered through my dealer,..
Who is the underwriter? I ask because I'm picking mine up today and my dealer mentioned, in passing, the availability of a 10 year as well. Don't know what I'm going to do but the more information I can gather the better.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:18 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I am also having many issues with my 8 week old 2018 RDX Advance. It is my first Acura and I have been back to the dealer eight times in eight weeks. As I write this post the car has been at the dealer two days to have the HUD replaced because it had a dead pixel. I am keeping my fingers crossed that no cosmetic damage will be incurred during the replacement. Here are some additional issues that I have reported to the dealer and Acura corporate customer service:

1. The left encoder wheel on the steering wheel doesn't "tab" the audio system in accessory mode or while the audio system is playing after the car is turned off. It only functions when the car is running.
2. The "back" button on the main track pad doesn't function properly after I select a song from an album. It should return to the album/folder so I can pick another song but instead it goes to the home screen which then requires multiple "clicks" to return to the album/folder.
3. The audio system doesn't properly read my USB memory stick. It reports 2x the number of songs in each album/folder although when you drill down to the songs the correct number are there. I should preface this by saying that it sometimes shows the album but when clicking on it there are no songs within it (this is random).
4. The mid-display on the dash reverts to that annoying trip odometer rather than maintaining the display of your choice. For example, I would like it to display the SH-AWD display but if the car is turned off for more than a few minutes it reverts back to the trip odometer display.
5. I have had several instances where the instrument panel lights go dark. When this happens the brightness buttons on the dash are non-functional. I cannot "revive" the display without restarting the vehicle.
6. If you park the car with the windshield toward the sun the HUD overheats and will not function. This also disables the audio tab function of the left encoder wheel.
7. The Auto mode of the Climate control system sets the air to recirculate mode and it never changes to fresh air without manual intervention. When you depress the recirculate button to get fresh air this turns off the "auto" indicator.
8. The AM radio locks up when the car is turned off. Upon restarting the small dash display shows AM "loading" and never starts the AM radio. I have to go to the home screen and reselect AM radio to get it to play.
9. It takes minutes to index my music files after I start the car even though I don't change the USB memory stick. I have 8 gigs of mp3 music on a 16 gig memory stick. I have tried different brands and even a USB3 version with no identifiable change. I cannot search for anything in the music library until it is through indexing.
10. I added an OEM Acura trailer hitch for my bike rack and now the foot activated rear hatch only works from the left side with a very specific foot position. It worked much better before the hitch was installed.
11. The rear hatch closes with a loud annoying "thunk". On the plus side it hasn't yet developed the "squeak" reported by others.
12. The paint (white pearl) is very thin and easily damaged by stones kicked up along the highway. I have a small pencil point chip that is down to the base metal. It must have been a really small stone because I never heard the impact.
13. The car has applied brakes when traveling at 50 mph and traversing a dip or cresting a hill in the road. I now know the spots where it will happen in my usual route but it is unsettling.

The trials and tribulations of an early adopter I guess. I'm off to a challenging start but hopefully it will get better. A number of these issues can be fixed with a system upgrade which can't come soon enough for me.
The following users liked this post:
nothome17 (08-23-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 07:39 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Meto
This is the same on Android as well
Originally Posted by BeatboyUK
Quick update to say that service, sales and GM of dealership, plus the regional factory rep are all involved and trying to sort everything out.
I have no complaints about the customer service, at least!
glad to hear they are aware and looking into it. Good luck.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:43 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Cazman
I am also having many issues with my 8 week old 2018 RDX Advance. It is my first Acura and I have been back to the dealer eight times in eight weeks. As I write this post the car has been at the dealer two days to have the HUD replaced because it had a dead pixel. I am keeping my fingers crossed that no cosmetic damage will be incurred during the replacement. Here are some additional issues that I have reported to the dealer and Acura corporate customer service:

1. The left encoder wheel on the steering wheel doesn't "tab" the audio system in accessory mode or while the audio system is playing after the car is turned off. It only functions when the car is running.
2. The "back" button on the main track pad doesn't function properly after I select a song from an album. It should return to the album/folder so I can pick another song but instead it goes to the home screen which then requires multiple "clicks" to return to the album/folder.
3. The audio system doesn't properly read my USB memory stick. It reports 2x the number of songs in each album/folder although when you drill down to the songs the correct number are there. I should preface this by saying that it sometimes shows the album but when clicking on it there are no songs within it (this is random).
4. The mid-display on the dash reverts to that annoying trip odometer rather than maintaining the display of your choice. For example, I would like it to display the SH-AWD display but if the car is turned off for more than a few minutes it reverts back to the trip odometer display.
5. I have had several instances where the instrument panel lights go dark. When this happens the brightness buttons on the dash are non-functional. I cannot "revive" the display without restarting the vehicle.
6. If you park the car with the windshield toward the sun the HUD overheats and will not function. This also disables the audio tab function of the left encoder wheel.
7. The Auto mode of the Climate control system sets the air to recirculate mode and it never changes to fresh air without manual intervention. When you depress the recirculate button to get fresh air this turns off the "auto" indicator.
8. The AM radio locks up when the car is turned off. Upon restarting the small dash display shows AM "loading" and never starts the AM radio. I have to go to the home screen and reselect AM radio to get it to play.
9. It takes minutes to index my music files after I start the car even though I don't change the USB memory stick. I have 8 gigs of mp3 music on a 16 gig memory stick. I have tried different brands and even a USB3 version with no identifiable change. I cannot search for anything in the music library until it is through indexing.
10. I added an OEM Acura trailer hitch for my bike rack and now the foot activated rear hatch only works from the left side with a very specific foot position. It worked much better before the hitch was installed.
11. The rear hatch closes with a loud annoying "thunk". On the plus side it hasn't yet developed the "squeak" reported by others.
12. The paint (white pearl) is very thin and easily damaged by stones kicked up along the highway. I have a small pencil point chip that is down to the base metal. It must have been a really small stone because I never heard the impact.
13. The car has applied brakes when traveling at 50 mph and traversing a dip or cresting a hill in the road. I now know the spots where it will happen in my usual route but it is unsettling.

The trials and tribulations of an early adopter I guess. I'm off to a challenging start but hopefully it will get better. A number of these issues can be fixed with a system upgrade which can't come soon enough for me.
sorry but you should.post in the 2nd generation RDX forum.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:26 AM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Hou-RL
sorry but you should.post in the 2nd generation RDX forum.
I assume he has a 2019 model and 2018 was a typo. He is having problems with some items that are not available on a 2018 model.
Cazman (08-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 10:35 AM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
@Cazman #7 is normal. The auto indicator turns off because you have changed the climate control from being fully automatic by manually changing a setting. The system will continue to adjust the fan speed according to ambient temperature and your temperature setting.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Sorry about the typo. I do have the 3rd gen 2019 RDX Advance and have driven it for about nine weeks with 2,000 + miles. The "2018" was a typo and that's what I get for posting when I'm tired.

Regarding the comments on my #7 issue, I understand that when you change a setting manually the "auto" indicator will turn off. To clarify, my concern is that you should not have to turn off recirculate manually. The climate control system should automatically (when in "auto") properly manage the flow of fresh air into the cabin. That means when the set temperature is attained it should switch to fresh air. It seems that car manufacturers are now more concerned with saving tenths of MPG to satisfy government regulations than they are with the health and convenience of their customers. Hence we get things like default recirculate mode and default engine stop mode without a way to change the default. I can not find a knowledgable source that recommends keeping your air flow on recirculate but there are plenty that say it is a bad idea. If you search the Honda website for several vehicles it even states that fresh air should be the norm. Acura can change this with a software update, I hope they are listening.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:51 AM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
[QUOTE=Cazman;16282607]I am also having many issues with my 8 week old 2018 RDX Advance.

I also used to do that as well. Easier solution is turn the power button for the radio off and back on. It starts working immediately. I suspect this is a fixable bug and will be resolved when an update finally appears.
When I mentioned this to the factory Rep, I didn't like his response. "Who listens to AM radio?" But other than that, the dealership told me it has been a common issue.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:16 PM
Instructor

Well at least two of listen to AM radio from time to time, lol. Thanks for the tip on the radio power button clearing the fault. I never think of simple solutions !!
Old 08-18-2018, 01:27 PM
Registered TL Owner

Acura is not going to change it. It has been normal for recirculate to be the selection in auto mode when under a certain temperature. It switches to fresh air once you start raising the temp or when the heater is used. That’s how it was in my 06 TL and 15 TLX. My moms 08 Accord is the same way.

Last edited by pnoi521; 08-18-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Cazman
Well at least two of listen to AM radio from time to time,...
3 - but not very often, just for sports depending on what's being broadcast while I'm driving. Don't know yet if AM even works on my RDX.

Old 08-18-2018, 02:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OEM Hitch

Cazman: Did you have the dealer add a new sensor also when you got the OEM hitch?
Old 08-18-2018, 04:24 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
4 - just for a traffic report, then back to music.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pnoi521
Acura is not going to change it. It has been normal for recirculate to be the selection in auto mode when under a certain temperature. It switches to fresh air once you start raising the temp or when the heater is used. That’s how it was in my 06 TL and 15 TLX. My moms 08 Accord is the same way.
Well we all have our preferences. If you enjoy driving around with elevated levels of CO2 and carcinogines outgassed from plasticizors and other materials in the cabin who am I to disagree with your choice. However, I tested your theory while I'm driving a 2018 RLX courtesey vehicle while my RDX is in the shop. In the RLX the lower of the two screens can display the status of the air distribution. It defaults to fresh air and the "auto" indicator is on when fresh air is selected. If you select recirculate the "auto" indicator turns off. Pressing the "Auto" button again moves it to fresh air and the "auto" indicator is on.. The climate system in this car also properly regulates the air flow, it is recirculate only while approaching the desired temperature and then it switches to fresh air. I challenge you to find any authoritative source that recommends driving with recirculated cabin air continuously.

Another thing I noticed right away in the RLX is that the cameras are vastly superior. Very crisp images. Although the RDX cameras are acceptable, Acura clearly cut corners on the new RDX cameras.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GaHokie
Cazman: Did you have the dealer add a new sensor also when you got the OEM hitch?
When the hitch was installed the dealer was surprised that it required a new harness because the hitch blocked the path of the original. I'm not sure if the sensor was changed but the harness definitely was because I had to return to have the installation completed when they received the new harness. I think that the sensor is located only on the driver side of the hitch and the hitch blocks the sensor from "seeing" foot motion under the center or the passenger side. You now have to move your foot kind of sideways in and out near the driver side of the hitch while standing by the taillight. That works pretty reliably but any other position is hit or miss. Forget about operating it from the passenger side.

I did not have the trailer light socket installed because I will only be using the hitch for my platform bike rack.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:57 PM
Registered TL Owner

I absolutely love driving around with elevated levels of CO2 and carcinogines outgassed from plasticizors and other materials in the cabin. Well good luck with getting that update from Acura to fix your faulty RDX
Old 08-18-2018, 05:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Originally Posted by gtssenior
Pertaining to the "beta testers" that bought the first year of an Acura redesign such as the 2019 RDX ... I bought the first year of an Acura redesign several years ago, the 2004 TL. It was by far the most reliable vehicle I have every owned. I only had it in for two minor service repairs in the 15 years I owned it. All other service visits were for planned maintenance or normal wear.
Not to mention 2019 cars have alot more tech stuffed in them than 2004 cars. Just looking at OP, at least 3/4 out of the 7 is tech related. And new models tend to have teething issues/growing pains. This is why you hear recommendation to never buy a brand new model or big change of a new car.

Also note that a very very small tiny % of car owners are actually active on any kind of forums.
Just to put into perspective Acura has sold over 12,000 RDX since the new 2019 model debuted in May/June. Yeah...
Old 08-18-2018, 10:29 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow
Ah, you early adopters. Bless your hearts. I have you all to thank for the bugs being worked out before I purchase the same thing three years later for half the price.
Me too!!!!
Old 08-19-2018, 07:57 AM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow
Ah, you early adopters. Bless your hearts. I have you all to thank for the bugs being worked out before I purchase the same thing three years later for half the price.
True, True....but we will be enjoying the fit, finish and ride of our 2019 Gen3 RDX’s for those 3 years. Hell we may even be in a Gen4 RDX by then. Loving what I’m driving.
Stew4HD (08-20-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 08:35 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Some like to buy new, others like to buy used. Chacun à son goûts
Old 08-19-2018, 10:15 AM
Cruisin'

Much appreciated. I would also like to use mine for a bike rack when I get it installed. Any recommendations for a rack?
Old 08-19-2018, 12:45 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Some like to buy new, others like to buy used. Chacun à son goûts
Acrimonious comments towards early adopters / beta testers are just rationalizing the fact they really wanted the new vehicle but couldn't afford it.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GaHokie
Much appreciated. I would also like to use mine for a bike rack when I get it installed. Any recommendations for a rack?
I have been using the Kuat Transfer 2 for four years now. Holds the bikes securely. Couple features I really like about it:

1. You can tilt it down to open the hatch without removing the bikes
2. The "tang" that inserts into the hitch receiver comes with a removable piece that makes it compatible with smaller (as on the RDX) and larger receivers.

If you get one, also get the locking kit which includes self storing lock cables and a lock for the bolt that cinches it to the receiver.

Rack: https://tinyurl.com/yaf8t2ml
Lock Kit: https://tinyurl.com/yb9eeonc
Old 08-19-2018, 04:05 PM
Cruisin'

5 Stars out of 5 on Amazon. I appreciate the help and the quick response.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:46 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Please read and review the LKAS information and how to adjust the sensitivity as well as Road Departure Mitigation.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:01 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
Cazman,

i just caight up on up on this thread tonight and your comment about the trailer hitch and location to open the hatch is normal. When you look at the installation for the hitch receiver it indicates that the sensor must be moved. When I picked my vehicle up, with the hitch already installed, there was a an indicator for where to kick now. The salesman even went to the center before he noticed the new spot.

Billy

Old 08-20-2018, 10:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I whole-heartedly disagree. Unless actual pieces have been redesigned and swapped, it doesn't matter if it was a June 2018 build, or a November 2018 build. You actually think Acura would change something, 5 months into production? I'd say the only differences would be electronic/programming related, as that requires no physical hardware changes. And if that is the case, a dealership should be able to get you the newest programming no problem.

You shouldn't expect any changes until at least the first year of vehicles are sold. I would say that would be the very earliest.

Plus, it would really screw with Acura- say you have issues with part X... well now was it a 2018 early model part X, or late model part X? What distinguishes a vehicle from one to the other? I've yet to ever see a service advisor or parts guy look specifically to see what month a car was built in. The only example I can think of is the early NSX, when it had a big design flaw with the snap ring problem. But that was a big problem, on a very expensive, brand defining car.

It's much easier for Acura to implement year-over-year changes.

Last edited by TacoBello; 08-20-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:01 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by zo0mie
I'm loving this thread.

Call me a Cynic. But this guy is laughing his a$$ off.
Here is a newbie, just joined today. And has a laundry list of issues.

Claims to be a decade long MDX owner, but never before posted or registered?
Sure, a newly released car can have issues and be a lemon. But...

The cynic in me thinks he could just as easily be a bored Lexus or Infiniti troll.
I'm loving it!
I'll gladly give him his first "Thanks" for this post.lol

Let him show us a service invoice with redacted personal info...A picture of his registered car.
You seriously think this guy went to all this trouble to troll the forum???? WOW! My dealer didn't believe me either when I said my '16 Advance had no warning lights if you drove with the parking brake on. They were wrong and had to replace the entire parking brake system when it was driven on the highway for a few miles. I wouldn't touch a 3rd gen RDX for at least a year.

The following 2 users liked this post by chickdr:
BeatboyUK (08-24-2018), nothome17 (08-23-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 09:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Old 08-21-2018, 06:19 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by chickdr
You seriously think this guy went to all this trouble to troll the forum???? WOW! My dealer didn't believe me either when I said my '16 Advance had no warning lights if you drove with the parking brake on. They were wrong and had to replace the entire parking brake system when it was driven on the highway for a few miles. I wouldn't touch a 3rd gen RDX for at least a year.

If you do decide to get a Gen 3 RDX, I suggest deciding NOT to drive around with the parking brake on. Lord knows what problems that would cause.

May I ask what ever made you choose to drive around with the parking brake on?
Old 08-21-2018, 07:31 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by chickdr
You seriously think this guy went to all this trouble to troll the forum???? I wouldn't touch a 3rd gen RDX for at least a year.
No problem for those of us that have one currently. You can share your experience once you purchase an RDX. Until then I guess you will have to suffer and listen to us experience the RDX. We will see you in at least a year with your RDX experiences.Thanks for following the forum.

Quick Reply: How many immediate problems with 2019 RDX are too many?