How many immediate problems with 2019 RDX are too many?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 03:02 PM
10th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy How many immediate problems with 2019 RDX are too many?

Apologies in advance for a long initial post, but help me Obi-wan's - I request guidance...

My wife and I as long-time MDX owners were very excited with the new engine, design & tech features in the 2019 RDX.
We were one of the first to test drive the vehicle, and bought the first Advance model that was delivered (one that was originally intended to be the dealership's new loaner).
After a month with the vehicle, it has been at the dealer more than in our driveway, and it has had a litany of issues, some of which I see duplicated in other threads here at AcuraZine, some not:

Major Issues:
  1. Lane Keep Assist sways from side to side in the lane
  2. Road Departure Mitigation is dangerously buggy - system has twice tried to make a hard turn when passing a highway exit (and NOT indicating to exit) - had to be fought to stay on the road.
  3. A seal has failed - there is wind noise inside the car at anything above 25 mph.
  4. Automatic high-beams sometimes do not dip for approaching vehicle.
  5. Drivers side rear door sporadically remain locked, even after all other doors unlock (and yes, the childlock switch is unlocked)
  6. Transmission is extremely jerky/touchy in comfort mode when shifting from 2nd to 3rd
  7. Suspension seems to change daily - we have a speed bump on our street - have driven over it at the same speed daily and sometimes it is rock hard, other times the car bounces 2 or 3 times.
Minor Issues:
  1. HUD has flickered a couple of times - and turned off and stayed off for a day (multiple trips) - came back the next day
  2. Hands-free trunk access works about half the time.
  3. Cellphone reception is greatly reduced in the car compared to our other cars - much more frequent dropouts
  4. 'System Error - Function Not Available’ message pops up intermittently when trying to change channels using the left hand dial control on the wheel.
  5. Swiping on the trackpad is inconsistent - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t
The kicker:
The loaner car (which is a tech package) drove better in comfort mode, and had more consistent suspension too.
Whole infotainment system froze in the middle of the city, while navigation was vital, and required pulling over and multiple restarts to get it to reboot.

So my question is - despite 15 previous years as a happy Acura owner, do these issues mean I should be fighting to get a different vehicle, or are they just teething issues on a very technological car?
I am used to my phone and laptop being buggy at times, but they are much less likely to kill me if they do...
Old 08-01-2018, 03:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I have only experienced the 2nd to 3rd shifting issue, none of the others.

What does the service department say?
Old 08-01-2018, 03:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Thanks for posting your issues. I hope Acura is reading this forum.

I would work with the dealer to address every issue. Dealer will take a hit to swap a car, it's a harder approach. Even under the lemon law, dealers are entitled to fix your car first.

Last edited by acuraada; 08-01-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:58 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. I guess I'll keep my '14 and '15 RDX's. Don't want a whiny turbo anyway. Will wait for RDX EV or Hybrid

Good Luck with your car. Acura will get it right in time.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:02 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Ah, you early adopters. Bless your hearts. I have you all to thank for the bugs being worked out before I purchase the same thing three years later for half the price.
The following 4 users liked this post by losiglow:
dirleton (08-23-2018), Gen4MDX (08-26-2018), justnspace (08-02-2018), nist7 (08-18-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 04:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow
...before I purchase the same thing three years later for half the price.
I'll bet not.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:04 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
Thanks for posting your issues. I hope Acura is reading this forum.

I would work with the dealer to address every issue. Dealer will take a hit to swap a car, it's a harder approach. Even under the lemon law, dealers are entitled to fix your car first.

Either way, it's THEIR problem because of warranty/lemon law and don't stop going to them for everything you need to say... They will learn a lot about this gen RDX from your experiences in service!!!

I hate to see that this happened to you...

I'm noticing that a lot of new Accords (16-17) have already had the LED DRLs to partially or fully burn out... I'd be pissed!!!

I feel like Acuras are too high maintenance on everything... As of lately, Honda can only get an engine right, everything thing else can be plain crap!!! (Sorry, my brain is like half broken these days, much like these new Hondas) Sorry I made that jab!!!

I'm sitting in a Kia dealer now having my 2011 Optima worked on, but atleast I feel more confident fixed means fixed!!!

Anyway, I think Acura may actually be reading up on us, I saw the new RDX commercial and it displays the car in a drifting maneuver.... They put the SH-AWD back!!! They are trying, but still screwing up the basic stuff, like making sure parts don't fail randomly...

Sometimes I want a late 90's Toyota again... One repair fixes the problem...

My TL with 105k needed over $4k in mechanical work...

Sorry to pollute your thread, but it struck a nerve with me...

Either way, I think this is Acura redeeming themselves... Really like the new RDX!!!

They are listening to what the people want!!!
Old 08-01-2018, 04:36 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Wow! I must be lucky, so far 1800 miles and no issues. This sucks for you and I would be ripped if I had that many issues. I know it's not easy, but you have to keep being a pain in the ass to the dealer, and if you can, up the complaints to the traveling factory rep. He'll be coming by the dealership at some point, they always do. If the dealer doesn't keep you happy, ask them to tell you when that rep will be by. They'd probably be happy to dump all of your problems on him! I know, as I used to live across the street from an Acura rep, and he told me that he did this stuff all of the time - when he wasn't bringing home NSX's on the weekend!
Old 08-01-2018, 05:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm loving this thread.

Call me a Cynic. But this guy is laughing his a$$ off.
Here is a newbie, just joined today. And has a laundry list of issues.

Claims to be a decade long MDX owner, but never before posted or registered?
Sure, a newly released car can have issues and be a lemon. But...

The cynic in me thinks he could just as easily be a bored Lexus or Infiniti troll.
I'm loving it!
I'll gladly give him his first "Thanks" for this post.lol

Let him show us a service invoice with redacted personal info...A picture of his registered car.

Last edited by zo0mie; 08-01-2018 at 05:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by zo0mie:
Gen4MDX (08-26-2018), Stew4HD (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 05:27 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
I'll bet not.
Not far off. 2015 RDX tech package going for $20K-$24K. MSRP for 2018 RDX Tech is $39K.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:41 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by zo0mie
I'm loving this thread.

The cynic in me thinks he could just as easily be a bored Lexus or Infiniti troll.
I'm loving it!

Let him show us a service invoice with redacted personal info...A picture of his registered car.
agreed. He literally compiled every individual report of an issue and claims to have them all. Not buying it for a second.

The following users liked this post:
Gen4MDX (08-26-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 09:11 PM
10th Gear

Thumbs up

Hi guys - especially zo0mie and Dizzyg12 - I guess I didn't think through the natural cynicism of user forums - I should know better...
All I can do is admit to being a long-time lurker on these threads (and one that tracked the incoming 2019 RDX's via these threads with much excitement), but this being the first real problem I have had with an Acura, I just joined to post today, to gather info BEFORE I follow back up with the dealership here in Seattle tomorrow morning.

The car is currently there at the dealership (has been since the weekend) - as is the loaner (I returned it after it too had the issue) and I am yet to hear much back from them.
By way of a little bit of proof of ownership and slight dispelling of doubt, please find attached the video I sent them on Monday of the loaner's Infotainment system locked into an endless loop...

I really did just post to see if we got really unlucky, and your responses all do make that seem to be the (slightly depressing) case.
Hearing that many of these issues are present for others posting at AcuraZine (and we seem to have them all) is actually super useful info for me - I will hunt those down (and please feel free to add them here) - I am looking to defray the semi-inevitable 'could not reproduce' response from the service department...

PS - We do also own a Lexus, but I promise I would be every bit as bummed if I bought a new Lexus and it had this many initial issues, too!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Video_1.MOV (1.67 MB, 544 views)
nothome17 (08-23-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 10:33 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by BeatboyUK
Apologies in advance for a long initial post, but help me Obi-wan's - I request guidance...

Major Issues:[list=1][*]Lane Keep Assist sways from side to side in the lane[*]Road Departure Mitigation is dangerously buggy - system has twice tried to make a hard turn when passing a highway exit (and NOT indicating to exit) - had to be fought to stay on the road.
On your first 2 major issues, I had these features on the 2015 Honda CRV I traded in for my new RDX, so have had a lot of experience with them. First, it’s not auto-pilot, it’s just an assist to keep you in your lane. It doesn’t work well on roads with lots of curves, but does a nice job on the interstates, but you still need to hold the steering wheel. On the exit issue, it depends on the road markings. Some states don’t run a dashed white line at an exit, so the car sees no right side line and thinks the lane widens at the exit, and naturally reacts. The RDX is improved over what I experienced with these features in my 2015, but it’s not like a Tesla.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
In defense of BeatboyUK, I was a lurker too, owned 2 MDXs and a 2016 RDX before buying my 2019 RDX Advance—and no posts before that. I've had great experiences with all my Acuras (other than a few minor annoyances and recalls), except for my 2016 RDX. Nothing major, but a series of issues that were made worse by the poor Acura service in that area (it's at a second home). My dealer service in NJ is excellent, and they are very anxious to make the customer happy. Your new car shouldn't have so many issues, and it's up to the dealer to make it right.

FYI, I can't use the lane keep assist in the 2016 RDX, it wobbles terribly—but in the 2014 MDX it was great.
nothome17 (08-23-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 11:04 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Well... the accent in the video matches his user name so he might not be a troll lol

But I think you might be reaching a little when you say the RDX is interfering with your cell reception. I hope for a positive outcome with your situation, OP, I certainly would be more than disappointed if my RDX had all the issues that you listed. I have an RDX that was part of the first 700 produced and have experienced a few of the issues that have been posted on this forum, but they are not consistent and always seem to be one off’s. Overall the car is solid other than the tailgate moan and the passenger's rattling with certain bass frequencies which will be an easy fix.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:49 AM
Intermediate

Wow. you are one pretty unlucky guy. And for it to happen to the loaner also. That re-loop has me thinking that the system needs a complete re-boot. How that is done on this car, I haven't a clue and maybe your service department doesn't either.

Generally, when something freezes up on me like my computer, cable box or some other electronics. I simply unplug it for several seconds and everything returns to normal. In the case of a car, I would remove the ground cable from the battery and that would re-set most everything to include sensors and electronics. Now, that is what I would do. I am in no way advocating that you or anyone else should be doing this to their car. Particularly a brand spanking new car. But with this platform being very new, you have to wonder if all service departments are up to speed.

If this were happening to my wife's RDX, I'd be talking to the service manager, and possibly the dealership general manager, writing down names, times etc. just in case I had to invoke any lemon laws in my state.

I too don't like some things about this RDX, such as needing to press the stop/start button every time the car is started to disable it. The no spare in this A-spec, the incandescent bulb turn signal or the no digital MPH display. But no car is perfect, and these are for me and the wife, first world problems on an otherwise terrific car.

Last edited by zo0mie; 08-02-2018 at 06:01 AM.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:43 AM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Just wanted to thank all of the "beta-testers" who bought a first year re-design.......thank you!
The following 2 users liked this post by Rob175:
justnspace (08-02-2018), losiglow (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 09:12 AM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
driven mine since June 25th and 2000km later still 0 issues. I suppose they are still working out the manufacturing kinks to ensure ALL vehicles are produced without significant defects.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:46 AM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob175
Just wanted to thank all of the "beta-testers" who bought a first year re-design.......thank you!
You're welcome... I have had a few of the problems the OP mentioned and have told my dealer about every one of them. I have 3000 miles on my vehicle now and will be taking a road trip to Chicago in two weeks. We will see what new things I learn during that 7 hour drive... MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Old 08-02-2018, 10:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by pnoi521
Overall the car is solid other than the tailgate moan and the passenger's rattling with certain bass frequencies which will be an easy fix.
Tailgate moan here too. Is there a TSB for it?
Old 08-02-2018, 10:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow
Not far off. 2015 RDX tech package going for $20K-$24K. MSRP for 2018 RDX Tech is $39K.
Is that for a '15 RDX Tech with 0 miles? If not then it's not the same thing.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:48 AM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob175
I “beta-tested” the 2019 RDX Advance before I bought it. Moving from a 2015 RDX to the 2019, I couldn’t be happier. While there are a few things that I wish were different I doubt I could find a total package that would please me as much as this car. I’m also confident the issues mentioned will be addresses by Acura. Had a 2009 Acura CL that had a suspension issue that would come and go. The dealer never questioned my sanity and took the car in numerous times over the first 2-3 years. They finally replaced half the drive train and suspension and I drove that car to 150k. Loved it. They also gained a customer for life.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:19 AM
10th Gear

I am at least taking solace in the fact that there are confirmed to be many 2019's out there with few, or no defects - that helps my mental state a little, at least...

Thanks for all your input - Couple of responses to specific posts:

DrWoo - The LKA was not sold to us up to Tesla levels (so there was no surprise there), but as competitive with the Volvo systems - but as it has worked so far, it was not only up to that standard (from our Volvo test drives) but worse than the system in my 2011 Lexus HS250h (which makes the new RDX system pretty disappointing).

pnoi521 - The cell reception may be a reach, or related to the fact that in our other cars it is vent mounted, whereas in the RDX we put it in the slot in the center console, or maybe even that with the trial AT&T hotspot in effect, perhaps the signal from that is partially blocking the one to the phone (not sure, and am certainly no electrical engineer!)...

And driving the Tech loaner def made me agree with you guys about the need for a digital MPH display in the non-Advance models - But I can say that in the Advance's HUD, the super-crisp, well-positioned digital MPH (and all the rest of the great info displayed there) made it, by far, the best HUD of any vehicle we test-drove (and that included Volvos, Audis, Infinitis, Lexuses and more) - Ultimately that was what made us go with the Advance over the A-spec (despite how awesome the A-spec exterior looks).

I do also want to make it clear that the dealership has been nothing but responsive and willing to escalate things to the factory rep, so, in summary - I am hoping to hear good news today.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:21 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the only issue so far in my 2019 RDX A-Spec, shifting from 2nd to 3rd is just brutal, irritates me a lot, so I think I will go to see a dealer in the nearest future.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:53 AM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by DesignerTom
Tailgate moan here too. Is there a TSB for it?
I’m not sure if a TSB has been issued, but it is a known issue. They addressed it in one of their One Pack videos and said they are researching a resolution.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm loving this thread.

I'm loving it!

I was wondering the same thing. My first tipoff was a dealer using an advance as a loaner car. These are almost always base. I have my foil hat on.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:52 PM
10th Gear

Hi bottlerocket - Keep the hat on - just to be safe, but as the loaner I got to fill in for the Advance was a Tech, I am hoping this is a sign that I have an above-average dealership...
Old 08-02-2018, 01:03 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bottlerocket
I was wondering the same thing. My first tipoff was a dealer using an advance as a loaner car. These are almost always base. I have my foil hat on.
Visit Acura in Mission Viejo and you will find Advance RDX as most of their loaners (at least in past years - cannot say about 2019).

The logic is that you're going to like the features so much, you'll trade in your car for a more expensive model.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:10 PM
Intermediate

Well, I've grown accustom to Hoehn Acura in Carlsbad, CA. Between the showroom tiles that are loose when you walk around and the "Starbucks" coffee they serve, you'll only get a base model there. I'll be looking for my next Acura in the Orange County area. Conspiracy over.
_korangar (08-15-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 01:29 PM
Intermediate

Yes. I noticed that also...again the cynic in me...lol But with many traded-in 2nd generation RDX's on the dealers lot, why not let him ride around in one of those till his gets looked at?

Maybe, just maybe he's having reservations about the Advance trim. After all, some of his issues are HUD flickering, suspension changes...Advance dampers, hands free trunk. And so they put him in a Tech version to see if he preferred that and maybe compensate him some way for the extra monies paid on the Advance.

His last statement is ..."do these issues mean I should be fighting to get a different vehicle"

Last edited by zo0mie; 08-02-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:38 PM
10th Gear

zo0mie - To be more specific, I was wondering if I should be trying to get a whole new Advance trim vehicle, or just trying to get them all fixed on the one we were sold - hence the 'how much is too much' question... none of the issues seem to be hardware-based - so maybe all will be fixed with software - but after only being able to drive a new car for 300-ish miles in month one (plus another 300 to and from the dealership), not excited about this continuing on for much longer...

Oh, and the loaner was also a 3rd Gen, so nothing to do with the number of 2nd Gens on the lot (though you are right, there were a lot)...
Old 08-02-2018, 02:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BeatboyUK
zo0mie - To be more specific, I was wondering if I should be trying to get a whole new Advance trim vehicle, or just trying to get them all fixed on the one we were sold - hence the 'how much is too much' question... none of the issues seem to be hardware-based - so maybe all will be fixed with software - but after only being able to drive a new car for 300-ish miles in month one (plus another 300 to and from the dealership), not excited about this continuing on for much longer...

Oh, and the loaner was also a 3rd Gen, so nothing to do with the number of 2nd Gens on the lot (though you are right, there were a lot)...
Makes sense. I had a major issue with my 2015 TLX (not the transmission). I happened to pick it up on a gray misty day and only noticed a couple of days later that it had a compromised clear coat. It was little spots all over, but it was not rain residue, or anything else. They had it professionally detailed twice and they were still visible. They ended up swapping it out for the same model. I did look at build dates from the VIN and the original problematic one was from 6 months prior, so it had been sitting for a long time.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:32 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, I've grown accustom to Hoehn Acura in Carlsbad, CA. Between the showroom tiles that are loose when you walk around and the "Starbucks" coffee they serve, you'll only get a base model there. I'll be looking for my next Acura in the Orange County area. Conspiracy over.
My experience has been that the dealership in Costa Mesa is least expensive, if you are willing to haggle for awhile. They go for a bit more of the old school approach of back and forth, walking out to get the deal, etc.

Mission Viejo is okay, and they do have some good folks higher up the chain (speak directly to Sales Manager).

Hoehn folks are very nice, but not lowest on price and not the most impressive dealership.

I actually live closer to LA, but the dealerships in the LA area are pretty awful, so I'm willing to drive.
_korangar (08-15-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 02:52 PM
Intermediate

Over the last couple of years I’ve worked with Norm Reeves Honda on 6 lease deals for friends and family. I have a good business relationship with their sales manager and when I’m ready he is friends with the GM at Norm Reeves Acura, so I’ll most likely go there when the money factor and incentives on the RDX are better.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pnoi521
Well... the accent in the video matches his user name so he might not be a troll lol

But I think you might be reaching a little when you say the RDX is interfering with your cell reception. I hope for a positive outcome with your situation, OP, I certainly would be more than disappointed if my RDX had all the issues that you listed. I have an RDX that was part of the first 700 produced and have experienced a few of the issues that have been posted on this forum, but they are not consistent and always seem to be one off’s. Overall the car is solid other than the tailgate moan and the passenger's rattling with certain bass frequencies which will be an easy fix.
not really with the cell receptions, I felt the same while test driving but thought it was just a fluke. It's not surprising if you think about the speakers replacements which have magnets, maybe some interference.... but it wasn't enough to drop calls or have degraded performance which I've tested.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:46 AM
Burning Brakes

you guys are too funny... poor OP. My dealer at NYC also uses Advance as a loaner and test drive. some of you really have narrow view of things. You think he is a troll because that's probably what you do in other forums. Takes one to know one.
nothome17 (08-23-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 11:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Yes. I noticed that also...again the cynic in me...lol But with many traded-in 2nd generation RDX's on the dealers lot, why not let him ride around in one of those till his gets looked at?

Maybe, just maybe he's having reservations about the Advance trim. After all, some of his issues are HUD flickering, suspension changes...Advance dampers, hands free trunk. And so they put him in a Tech version to see if he preferred that and maybe compensate him some way for the extra monies paid on the Advance.

His last statement is ..."do these issues mean I should be fighting to get a different vehicle"

Err... yea, great reading comprehension there. That's exactly what he was asking. He drove the Tech version and it had none of the issue (except for one) that he had with the Advance. The doubts in his mind was that is it because Advance has more problems or it's simply because he had one of the first ones built. Since Tech version felt so much better to him, he is thinking whether he should just fight for a new vehicle of that model instead of the original.

I don't think that was a "Maybe, just maybe" there, Sherlock.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lahvinenka
I have the only issue so far in my 2019 RDX A-Spec, shifting from 2nd to 3rd is just brutal, irritates me a lot, so I think I will go to see a dealer in the nearest future.
This seems like a bigger issue then the other issues. Atleast to me seems like a harder issue to address... Anyone know what Acuras response is to this? Are there videos showing this issue? Also this is the same transmission as the new accord, does anyone know if they are reporting the issue.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:38 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm loving this thread.

I'm loving it!

First.
Register or posting previously mean nothing.
We have '04 MDX and '06 BMW. I have less then 140 post on MDXOrg.com and almost 6000 in Bimmerfest.
User bring his issue here to share and asking for advice - stop punished him for not posting previously and register with MDX forum. This two has nothing to do with each other.
If you have advice - posted or not, but not come up with your own conclusion that OP collect all previous issue and post like his.

Second.
OP! Start documenting everything. What happen, when, is this treating to your live and life another drivers. Every phone call and conversation with Acura - document: name, when happen, what was this person sad.
Start looking for good lemon-law lawyer in your town(or state).
Good luck!

P.S. I understand that after firs replay like this you will lost your interest to post here. But I encourage you to get back and share what happen with your RDX.
nothome17 (08-23-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 05:14 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
OP: Did you ask the dealer about the Acura Rep? It's worth it for sure to find out when he'll be at the dealership, esp if you are very unhappy with the car.

Quick Reply: How many immediate problems with 2019 RDX are too many?