AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX (2019+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/)
-   -   How do you remove the compact spare from the holder? (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/how-do-you-remove-compact-spare-holder-980090/)

omygod711 06-08-2019 10:14 AM

How do you remove the compact spare from the holder?

I was able to lower the tire but I can't get it off the white cone holder.

Thanks

NooYawkuh 06-08-2019 10:45 AM

2019 RDX Owner's Guide (Web) (01/31/19)

Fixing or Changing a Tire

Wander 06-08-2019 12:50 PM

Pull it down below the wheel, rotate it 90°, and cram it through. You have to angle it a bit. It's a snug fit.

It's designed to be impossible to get it through the full-size aluminum wheel. Only the compact steel wheel will fit.

Wander 06-08-2019 04:11 PM

This is the thing we're talking about:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...3246f7dabd.jpg

omygod711 06-08-2019 09:49 PM

Thanks.
I feel dumb now.
Getting a flat while trying to make it to an appointment doesn't help either.
Ended up rolling slowly to a tire shop near by to have the nail pull out and plug the tire.

BTW Acura road side assistance number on the front window..... I tired it... I was put on hold till I gave up....

Wander 06-08-2019 11:31 PM

Don't feel dumb. It's a stupid design.

For entertainment, read the instructions for what to do with the ( full-size ) wheel you took off the car, if you actually managed to install the compact spare.

What the heck were they smoking? :clpower:

omygod711 06-08-2019 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Wander (Post 16437114)
Don't feel dumb. It's a stupid design.

For entertainment, read the instructions for what to do with the ( full-size ) wheel you took off the car, if you actually managed to install the compact spare.

What the heck were they smoking? :clpower:

I rather not deal with the spare tire right now. After I drop the tire to the ground and not knowing how to remove the white cap, I was not able to fully retract the spare tire back in its place. i'm off by like 3 inches and the spare just dangle under the car. I am not able to rotate the little screw any further. I was twisting it so hard that I might have strip the bar. I left the spare in the hatch for now. Gonna try again tomorrow, this might be another dealer visit...

RDX10 06-09-2019 04:13 AM

Not to rub it in or rub salt in the wound or anything like that but this is exactly why I vastly prefer the inside trunk mounted spares to those stupid drop down ones.

NooYawkuh 06-09-2019 07:45 AM

I'm old enough to remember the days before steel-belted radials were common. Once or twice a year, my father would have to take off his suit jacket, roll up his shirt sleeves and change a flat on his way to or home from work. Carrying one spare was none and two was one. By contrast, in the 40+ years I've been driving, I don't think I've had more than a half-dozen flats. And most were minor enough for me to air up and limp to a tire shop. No heavy lifting on my part. I've had the battery go dead, unexpectedly, more times than I've had to use a spare tire. but I don't carry a spare battery and that would take less space than a tire.

Sure, flat tires have become less common, but car makers have gone too far in the thinking that a spare tire is a throwback to a bygone era. All just to save weight and cargo volume.

Originally Posted by RDX10 (Post 16437144)
Not to rub it in or rub salt in the wound or anything like that but this is exactly why I vastly prefer the inside trunk mounted spares to those stupid drop down ones.

Until now, it wasn't a problem. I've always preferred the external spare to save internal space. I never had a problem dropping them and I could stow the flat in the same place. I've also tossed the temp spare and replaced it with a full. I guess I can't do that on the RDX.

Wander 06-09-2019 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by omygod711 (Post 16437121)
I rather not deal with the spare tire right now. After I drop the tire to the ground and not knowing how to remove the white cap, I was not able to fully retract the spare tire back in its place. i'm off by like 3 inches and the spare just dangle under the car. I am not able to rotate the little screw any further. I was twisting it so hard that I might have strip the bar. I left the spare in the hatch for now. Gonna try again tomorrow, this might be another dealer visit...

You might have the cable bunched up in the hoist spool. AFAIK there isn't much to "strip" in the mechanism.

I suggest you lower the wheel support all the way to the ground again, but keep steady pressure on it while you lower it. This will probably require another pair of hands.

Then mount the compact spare wheel/tire on the support and raise it with the hoist. The weight of the wheel will maintain pressure on the hoist this time, and that should prevent the cable from getting bunched up. If not, it's the dealer's turn.

Alias1431 06-10-2019 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh (Post 16437156)
I'm old enough to remember the days before steel-belted radials were common.

TIL. I thought run flats were the only tires with metal in them.

Wander 06-15-2019 03:25 PM

Today I learned TIL means today I learned...

AFAIK all modern radial tires have braided belts of fine steel wire in the tread area to protect against punctures. Might also help stiffen the tread area. Anyway, it takes a pretty hard pointy object to get past the steel belts ( a nail or screw will do it, or sharp metal road debris ). This is a major reason flat tires are relatively uncommon these days. Track tires may be an exception, because debris is uncommon and reduced rotating mass is paramount. Dunno.

But back in the day, manufacturers would advertise "steel belted radials" because they were something special. Now it's the standard. Prior tech would have been bias ply tires, with or without inner tubes. Don't hear them advertising "tubeless tires" for cars, either. Just for bicycles.

Madd Dog 06-15-2019 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh (Post 16437156)
I'm old enough to remember the days before steel-belted radials were common. Once or twice a year, my father would have to take off his suit jacket, roll up his shirt sleeves and change a flat on his way to or home from work. Carrying one spare was none and two was one. By contrast, in the 40+ years I've been driving, I don't think I've had more than a half-dozen flats. And most were minor enough for me to air up and limp to a tire shop. No heavy lifting on my part. I've had the battery go dead, unexpectedly, more times than I've had to use a spare tire. but I don't carry a spare battery and that would take less space than a tire.

Sure, flat tires have become less common, but car makers have gone too far in the thinking that a spare tire is a throwback to a bygone era. All just to save weight and cargo volume.

Until now, it wasn't a problem. I've always preferred the external spare to save internal space. I never had a problem dropping them and I could stow the flat in the same place. I've also tossed the temp spare and replaced it with a full. I guess I can't do that on the RDX.

I had to change a flat on the BQE on a left lane cut out with cars whizzing past me. Fortunately, I was 19 and stupid.

Fifty years later, how to change a flat and take down the spare is far easier. “AAA ? Hi, this is Madd Dog. I have a gold AAA card. Come and fix a flat. Bring a flatbed guy in case he can’t fix it. Thanks.”

It wasn’t readily available in my youth (ie., before 50), but money helps a lot.

Wander 06-15-2019 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Madd Dog (Post 16440422)
Fifty years later, how to change a flat and take down the spare is far easier. “AAA ? Hi, this is Madd Dog. I have a gold AAA card. Come and fix a flat. Bring a flatbed guy in case he can’t fix it. Thanks.”

Response time can be an issue. Especially if you're 50 miles from the nearest "town", or there is some kind of weather calamity in progress.

And even in the city, you never know what might delay the tow truck driver. Once I had to call AAA for a dead battery late at night, from my workplace in a major city, and I had to make repeated trips back into work to call and ask where the heck the guy was. ( Long before cell phones... )

Finally, the guy showed up with a young woman in the truck, who appeared to be a professional that may charge by the hour. :rolleyes:

EFR 06-15-2019 05:39 PM

I'm with you there Wander. When I lived in Vegas I had a loaner Land Rover that got a flat on the way to work. As I was in a suit, changing a tire was low on my list of things to want to do. Called the roadside assistance, first time ever, and......4 hours later the guy shows up....4 hours. This is exactly why, having the RDX without a spare, I bought the spare tire package and keep it and the inflator kit at the ready. Granted, I have had one flat in the last 30+ years...but.

omygod711 06-15-2019 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Wander (Post 16437213)
You might have the cable bunched up in the hoist spool. AFAIK there isn't much to "strip" in the mechanism.

I suggest you lower the wheel support all the way to the ground again, but keep steady pressure on it while you lower it. This will probably require another pair of hands.

Then mount the compact spare wheel/tire on the support and raise it with the hoist. The weight of the wheel will maintain pressure on the hoist this time, and that should prevent the cable from getting bunched up. If not, it's the dealer's turn.

Dealer can't put the wheel back in either, agreed that there mechanism is messed up. Ordering the parts to replace it.

TheLevelOne 06-17-2019 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Madd Dog (Post 16440422)
I had to change a flat on the BQE on a left lane cut out with cars whizzing past me. Fortunately, I was 19 and stupid.

It wasn’t readily available in my youth (ie., before 50), but money helps a lot.

I have witnessed precarious tire changing on NYC roadways and always say a prayer for the changer having been in same unlucky position. I once blew a clutch on the lower roadway of the 59th St. bridge in heavy traffic. Man, I could have used AAA then!