Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 191 Posts
I wonder what the transmission can hold for power officially
Old 02-03-2019, 01:03 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak
I wonder what the transmission can hold for power officially
Unknown and unknowable. Until you find out what it can't hold.
The following users liked this post:
securityguy (02-06-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 02:06 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Old 02-06-2019, 07:54 PM
2022 MDX Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Installed the stage 2 today and drove 20-30 min in Sport / Sport +.

I would agree with the 15% or so performance increases based on my butt dyno.

It it definitely feels to pickup faster in the 2-4K RPM range.

Sport+ does actually feel quite quick, while sport feels closer to the stock Sport+.

Overall, happy with the upgrade. Very simple process.

Joe
Old 02-06-2019, 08:33 PM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by joeliu2003

Sport+ does actually feel quite quick, while sport feels closer to the stock Sport+.

Joe
Does it help with the turbo lag at all? I would think it doesn't since it only affects 2k and up. Anytime the vehicle goes under 2k and throttle is applied it just sits there for 1-2 seconds not doing anything.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spinedoc777
Does it help with the turbo lag at all? I would think it doesn't since it only affects 2k and up. Anytime the vehicle goes under 2k and throttle is applied it just sits there for 1-2 seconds not doing anything.
That's not turbo lag you're experiencing, it's the numb response of today's throttle by wire. It takes a moment for pedal signal to be processed by the ECU before making a decision on trans gear selection, etc. I've noticed all newer cars respond similar due to how they're programmed, primarily in the name of economy over performance.
The following users liked this post:
spinedoc777 (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by OK-RDX
That's not turbo lag you're experiencing, it's the numb response of today's throttle by wire. It takes a moment for pedal signal to be processed by the ECU before making a decision on trans gear selection, etc. I've noticed all newer cars respond similar due to how they're programmed, primarily in the name of economy over performance.
^^^ This. My last 3 vehicles had the same 'throttle' delay and the RDX is the only turbo.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:12 AM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Have you ever watched an electrically-controlled throttle blade respond to accelerator pedal position? They are mechanically and electronically capable of responding as fast, if not faster, than a human can depress the pedal to the floor, so there's no virtually no hard limit. However, the rate at which the throttle blade opens and closes can be limited by software. When the throttle blade opens slowly, drivers perceive this is as hesitation or turbo-lag. Limiting the rate of throttle opening is done primarily to protect the transmission by reducing driveline shock. When the throttle blade closes slowly, drivers perceive this as "rev hang". Limiting the rate of throttle closing is done primary to limit a spike in emissions that can occur when the throttle snaps closed at higher engine speeds.

The ETC operates when the ignition is on even when the engine isn't running. To get an idea of how fast it is capable of responding, turn the vehicle on and all accessories off in a quiet garage then rapidly press and release the accelerator pedal. You can hear the throttle actuator respond almost instantly to the position of the accelerator pedal.
The following 2 users liked this post by zroger73:
Madd Dog (02-07-2019), spinedoc777 (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 06:01 PM
Racer

Your response is very timely. I just had my RDX in to get the heated steering wheel retrofitted and I had this conversation with the service manager and he said exactly what you said, makes a lot of sense. I've personally never experienced something so bad in any of my modern vehicles so was curious, it's actually somewhat dangerous in situations such as slowing down for a yield but then needing to quickly enter a road. My prior G80 did not do this at all, or it was so slight I never noticed, so I just assumed it was because it was a 6cyl non turbo, but I suppose the programming was different on it.

Anyhow I'm forcing myself to like this car!! On the way home from the dealer I put it is Sport + mode and really put it through its paces. I don't really like how the rpm's stay high when cruising, I would have hoped the vehicle would know better when I wanted power and when I wanted to cruise, but using the paddle shifters to shift up helps to make Sport + mode much more bearable. Before Sport + mode wanted me to be in 6th gear and around 4k+ rpm when doing 80 on the highway and not accelerating, but with the paddle shifters I can shift it up to a much more reasonable 8th gear.

Last edited by spinedoc777; 02-07-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:06 PM
2022 MDX Advanced

Originally Posted by spinedoc777
Your response is very timely. I just had my RDX in to get the heated steering wheel retrofitted and I had this conversation with the service manager and he said exactly what you said, makes a lot of sense. I've personally never experienced something so bad in any of my modern vehicles so was curious, it's actually somewhat dangerous in situations such as slowing down for a yield but then needing to quickly enter a road. My prior G80 did not do this at all, or it was so slight I never noticed, so I just assumed it was because it was a 6cyl non turbo, but I suppose the programming was different on it.
Pretty sure what you are experiencing on slowing and then speeding into a turn is a transmission issue.

I noticed it it right away that the trans is in the wrong gear (sometimes 2-3 gears too high) when slowing down for a turn. Then you step on the gas to speed up, but because the gear is so high it doesn’t do anything.

You can test this by really stomping on it next time and you will get the lag, but then the trans will downshift and accelerate wildly.

This one issue is the largest drivability issue with this car. The tune does help it some as there is more power available in the wrong gear, but it’s still a trans issue from what I can see.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:09 PM
Racer

Pretty sure what you are experiencing on slowing and then speeding into a turn is a transmission issue.

I noticed it it right away that the trans is in the wrong gear (sometimes 2-3 gears too high) when slowing down for a turn. Then you step on the gas to speed up, but because the gear is so high it doesn’t do anything.

You can test this by really stomping on it next time and you will get the lag, but then the trans will downshift and accelerate wildly.

This one issue is the largest drivability issue with this car. The tune does help it some as there is more power available in the wrong gear, but it’s still a trans issue from what I can see.

Yes that's exactly what happens, I have counted out to myself a solid 1-2 seconds (which is a long time when trying to merge into NJ traffic!!) where it does absolutely nothing, then it jerks forward, most likely because I'm overcompensating at that point.

More to the point of this thread, can this hesitation be tuned out? I understand it will put more stress on the transmission, but that may be an acceptable trade off. I don't feel as if the RDX needs more power, it's already somewhat of a beast with Sport + mode, it just needs that hesitation to be reduced or eliminated.

Last edited by spinedoc777; 02-07-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:26 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Don't forget you can always temporarily over-ride gear selection with the paddle shifters.

If you are in "Drive", just yank the left paddle to downshift sequentially, as many gears as desired. You can upshift manually with the right paddle as necessary, or if you chill for a bit at steady speed, it will resume normal automatic operation.

If you are in "S" mode on the transmission, once you yank a paddle it will stay in "manual sequential" mode until you toggle the transmission to "D" or another setting.

Also, in "S" automatic mode, the controller will keep the engine speed higher for better responsiveness ( at the expense of noise and fuel economy ). This is independent of the "dynamic mode" setting, although its behavior may be altered by the dynamic mode. ( Interesting question... )

Also, if you are experiencing problems with responsiveness, I assume you have tried running the recommended fuel. This is likely to be especially important if you are running an aggressive tune.

Last edited by Wander; 02-07-2019 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:53 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
If Rahal can do it, so can you (+73HP,+90 lb-ft)

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...m-rahal-semaa/

"The Honda-focused speed shop reworked the RDX ... by putting in a new turbo, intake and exhaust manifolds, and downpipe. PRL Motorsports adds a custom-fabricated intercooler and intake to the mix. GRP's custom lightweight cat-back exhaust and ECU mapping from KTuning round off the package to help boost output to an estimated 345 horsepower and 370 lb-ft, increases of 73 horses and 90 lb-ft of twist over the stock car."

No mention of replacing 10AT!

YMMV.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:05 PM
2022 MDX Advanced

Originally Posted by SH4RKT00TH
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...m-rahal-semaa/

"The Honda-focused speed shop reworked the RDX ... by putting in a new turbo, intake and exhaust manifolds, and downpipe. PRL Motorsports adds a custom-fabricated intercooler and intake to the mix. GRP's custom lightweight cat-back exhaust and ECU mapping from KTuning round off the package to help boost output to an estimated 345 horsepower and 370 lb-ft, increases of 73 horses and 90 lb-ft of twist over the stock car."

No mention of replacing 10AT!

YMMV.
Woot. Makes me feel better that I won’t be blowing out the transmission anytime soon. Still enjoying the tune.

Looking into exhaust/intake options this summer.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:19 PM
Null and proud of it

Woot. Makes me feel better that I won’t be blowing out the transmission anytime soon. Still enjoying the tune.

This is the only face I can make at that statement...
Old 02-24-2019, 10:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 191 Posts

I wouldn’t get too excited they only need the car to last as long as SEMA :P
Old 02-25-2019, 01:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak

I wouldn’t get too excited they only need the car to last as long as SEMA :P
Old 02-25-2019, 03:28 AM
Null and proud of it

Tranny cooler?
Old 02-25-2019, 02:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Why is it people are always so dead set that "the tranny is gunna blow?" Does Acura have that bad of a rep with transmissions? Because aside from some isolated models and situations I don't really see the concern.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:34 AM
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
So, I have one question. IS IT WORTH GETTING IT?

QUOTE=joeliu2003;16378754]

Joe
[/QUOTE]
Old 07-24-2019, 05:56 AM
2022 MDX Advanced

Originally Posted by Duna
So, I have one question. IS IT WORTH GETTING IT?

QUOTE=joeliu2003;16378754]

Joe
[/QUOTE]

Only you can decide that. I still enjoy the improvement ya on a daily basis, but it’s somewhat subjective. I still stand by my original observations as far as performance gains.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:48 PM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
^^^ This. My last 3 vehicles had the same 'throttle' delay and the RDX is the only turbo.
Our Odyssey has a similar issue with the 3.5 V6 too but none of the other cars we have had in the family have shown this tendency except for our two Honda/Acura products.