Hitch Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 07:09 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Hitch Pictures

Trailer hitch was installed recently. Acura here in Canada didn't have the kick sensor part when I picked up the new car.
  • Installed by Acura, hitch only no Light Harness.
  • 1 1/4" tube, 1500 lbs towing, 150 lbs tongue weight.
  • The bike rack is for two bikes is 35 lbs with another 30 lbs with the extension.
  • Tailgate clears the rack on open, no bike on the rack.
  • Kick sensor is moved slightly left of center.

The following 3 users liked this post by Gate 17:
billyt1963 (09-02-2018), sparam (10-04-2018), subin (10-04-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 07:58 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Nice..need one for mine too, just wondering how much the dealer charge you installed?, oh looks like the middle part under the bumper need to be removed?
Old 09-02-2018, 08:38 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
Gate 17,

I had the hitch receiver installed also, went all out and had the light connector also. I haven't had by bike rack on yet, but seeing your rack on there is hopeful that mine will work as well.

Billy
Old 09-02-2018, 10:39 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
If you want to use a bike rack with a 2" tube, you can use one of these:

https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...e-adapter.html
Old 09-05-2018, 01:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I installed mine last week, took about an hour to do. I had to buy a new set of metric sockets and got to use my torque wrench... you can buy the hitch (P/N 08L92-TJB-200)and the bumper cover (P/N 08L92-TJB-200B non-ASpec) online for less than $340; the 1 1/14 inch to 2 inch adapter are less than $15 at Harbor Freight.
Installation instructions: https://acura.bernardiparts.com/Imag...II07802-09.pdf
The following users liked this post:
sparam (10-04-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 07:50 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I mentioned in some other post that beside of trailer hitch and trailer cover is required to replace the original hands-free access power tailgate sensor on short type of sensor (new sensor: 08L91-TJB-200B) to eliminate its interference with the hitch. This original sensor is too long, for about 1.5' and is located above the hitch that will be installed. A new short sensor is about a half shorter of the original and has to be installed on the left side from the hitch. But I'm still have no answer if required to buy a trailer hitch harness, 08L91-TJB-200. I'm not talking about the trailer harness for the trailer lights. I mean the harness that will be replace the original harness between new sensor and the tailgate car system. And again, all these are just tor '19RDX advance with hands-free tailgate opener.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:37 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by cranch63
I mentioned in some other post that beside of trailer hitch and trailer cover is required to replace the original hands-free access power tailgate sensor on short type of sensor (new sensor: 08L91-TJB-200B) to eliminate its interference with the hitch. This original sensor is too long, for about 1.5' and is located above the hitch that will be installed. A new short sensor is about a half shorter of the original and has to be installed on the left side from the hitch. But I'm still have no answer if required to buy a trailer hitch harness, 08L91-TJB-200. I'm not talking about the trailer harness for the trailer lights. I mean the harness that will be replace the original harness between new sensor and the tailgate car system. And again, all these are just tor '19RDX advance with hands-free tailgate opener.
I believe this is covered in the installation instructions for the trailer hitch, which are conveniently posted above. If you don't require trailer lighting, you shouldn't need to buy the trailer wiring harness. You will just plug the new "short sensor" into the vehicle connector that went to the "long sensor".
Old 09-29-2018, 09:57 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
That bike rack looks hideous : ( Need something a bit nicer on that car!
Old 09-30-2018, 08:22 AM
Instructor

LOL! Bike rack is from Costco, great price! Money went into the bike.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:31 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gate 17
LOL! Bike rack is from Costco, great price! Money went into the bike.
I get it, but you want one of these : ) Getting hitch installed Wednesday, rack will look good on the RDX.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:48 PM
Instructor

What is the brand?
Old 09-30-2018, 12:50 PM
Advanced

1Up USA out of Wisconsin, best damn rack
Old 09-30-2018, 10:44 PM
Drifting

That rack must be a well kept secret; I don't think I've ever seen one. But I mostly hang out with roadies these days. Is it intended for fat tire bikes? It looks like it could carry a moon rover.

[edit] Make that Mars rover. I'm showing my age...

Last edited by Wander; 09-30-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:46 AM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gate 17
What is the brand?
Originally Posted by Phil Onyschuk
1Up USA out of Wisconsin, best damn rack
Originally Posted by Wander
That rack must be a well kept secret; I don't think I've ever seen one. But I mostly hang out with roadies these days. Is it intended for fat tire bikes? It looks like it could carry a moon rover.

[edit] Make that Mars rover. I'm showing my age...
I'm a roadie and I have the 1UpUSA rack and it's amazing! Fits all types of bikes, can even get spacers to make it fit a fat tire bike. Very versatile, all aluminum, no plastic and made in USA!
Old 10-01-2018, 11:27 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I wonder how the bumper cover for A-Spec looks like..
Old 10-01-2018, 06:28 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Yotrek
I wonder how the bumper cover for A-Spec looks like..

Most likely the same. The center section (finned on the ASPEC and smooth on the other models) is removable and I'm sure mounts the same way, just so they can use the same finishing cover for the trailer hitch on all 2019 RDX models.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:14 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ednigma
Most likely the same. The center section (finned on the ASPEC and smooth on the other models) is removable and I'm sure mounts the same way, just so they can use the same finishing cover for the trailer hitch on all 2019 RDX models.
Actually, I think it's a different contour depending on whether the "short" hands-free access sensor has been installed along with the hitch ( Advance trim, or other trims with add-on accessory HFA ). There are some pics at Curry Acura's eBay accessories store, IIRC. The line diagrams in the installation instructions also hint at a difference, but that's pretty cryptic.

I'm assuming we're talking about the black shroud over the hitch, not the actual bumper cover.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:10 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Actually, I think it's a different contour depending on whether the "short" hands-free access sensor has been installed along with the hitch ( Advance trim, or other trims with add-on accessory HFA ). There are some pics at Curry Acura's eBay accessories store, IIRC. The line diagrams in the installation instructions also hint at a difference, but that's pretty cryptic.

I'm assuming we're talking about the black shroud over the hitch, not the actual bumper cover.

You could very well be right, I figured that it would be logical to have a single part number for that piece for cost savings. The only way to know for sure is to see if there are several different part numbers for that finishing piece.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:24 AM
Drifting

There are different part numbers. I DIYd the hitch and wiring on my Advance a few months ago, and I spent way, way too much time trying to figure out which part numbers I needed to order. The part for vehicles equipped with HFA is bit bulbous and protruberant; it might be a bit more sleek for ones without HFA.

I've DIYd several Honda/Acura hitches and this is the first time I've seen multiple versions of parts for the thing. Pure chaos. Dealer service was equally confused.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:01 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
There are different part numbers. I DIYd the hitch and wiring on my Advance a few months ago, and I spent way, way too much time trying to figure out which part numbers I needed to order. The part for vehicles equipped with HFA is bit bulbous and protruberant; it might be a bit more sleek for ones without HFA.

I've DIYd several Honda/Acura hitches and this is the first time I've seen multiple versions of parts for the thing. Pure chaos. Dealer service was equally confused.
I'm debating if I want to do it myself or not, can you help me confirm/deny that these are the parts needed? Dealership wants to charge about $1,400 to install. Wasn't sure on difficulty.Anything missing?
Old 10-03-2018, 10:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FYI: A few months ago I was rear-ended in my 2G RDX. I have a hitch and a 1Up-USA rack. My insurance (AAA) told me that the hitch would only be covered if it was installed by the dealer (it was). It turned out that the rack was destroyed but the hitch was OK. The guy who hit me was not insured. The rack price was below my deductible. In my next car (3G RDX?) I would think twice about installing a hitch myself. Perhaps other insurances are different.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:45 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by OliveBread
I'm debating if I want to do it myself or not, can you help me confirm/deny that these are the parts needed? Dealership wants to charge about $1,400 to install. Wasn't sure on difficulty.Anything missing?
That looks complete. The ball mount, hitch ball, and locking pin could be procured from many other sources, but the savings will be modest.

The fuses are included with the wiring harness.

Hitch is easy, wiring harness not so much. If you aren't comfortable pulling out lots of interior panels in a new car, I would think twice. It wasn't my first rodeo, as the saying goes, between decades worth of DIY audio installs plus several DIY Honda/Acura trailer wiring harness installs. And I still thought twice and thrice about it after reading through the instructions.

As it is, there was some gooey black liquid sealant under the rear hatch rubber seal, and I managed to smear that around the cargo area interior a bit. It's mostly cleaned up after some major scrubbing. And I had a long hard battle with a specialized fastener for one of the panels that sits over the side curtain airbag. In retrospect, I should have just waited until I could get a replacement fastener from the dealer, because it's not supposed to be reused. But it became a challenge and I channeled my inner MacGyver. I don't like to lose.

But as it turns out, I don't think it was even necessary to remove that panel. I think it would only be required if you were installing the accessory add-on hands-free access sensor, because you would have to install a push-button switch in that panel. This is the first time I've ever found an error in Honda/Acura accessory installation instructions, so I guess there's a first time for everything. Part of the reason I decided to do the installation myself is that dealer service couldn't seem to figure out what parts were required, and I didn't really feel like paying for the privilege of being their guinea pig.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:53 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by sv_ted
FYI: A few months ago I was rear-ended in my 2G RDX. I have a hitch and a 1Up-USA rack. My insurance (AAA) told me that the hitch would only be covered if it was installed by the dealer (it was). It turned out that the rack was destroyed but the hitch was OK. The guy who hit me was not insured. The rack price was below my deductible. In my next car (3G RDX?) I would think twice about installing a hitch myself. Perhaps other insurances are different.
That's a bizarre claim. I would want to read the coverages and exclusions of the policy very carefully before I accepted that. It is common for OEM hitches to be DIY installed, or for aftermarket hitches to be DIY installed or installed by a professional installer that's not a car dealer. I suspect there was a miscommunication there, or the insurance representative simply didn't know what they were talking about.

In any case, the hitch is relatively inexpensive in the context of collision damage. And any crash that would damage the welded 1/4" steel hitch is probably going to do serious damage to the vehicle. If the vehicle were burned to cinders in a fire, the hitch would probably be the only thing left intact.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:00 AM
Advanced

Aspec Hitch Pic

Here is my dealer installed hitch on my Aspec
subin (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 09:41 PM
Drifting

That looks downright svelte compared to the hitch and shroud on my Advance. But those exhaust tips are HUGE!
Old 10-25-2019, 03:34 PM
2nd Gear

Backstop in the receiver?

Can you tell me if your hitch has a backstop near the inner end? Have a Yakima rack on another car that needs 1.5” inner length for the hitch on the RDX. Thinking about buying the RDX but need a workable hitch receiver. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:02 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use it with Yakima Holdup with no problem.
Green Mountain (10-25-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 04:58 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Green Mountain
Can you tell me if your hitch has a backstop near the inner end? Have a Yakima rack on another car that needs 1.5” inner length for the hitch on the RDX. Thinking about buying the RDX but need a workable hitch receiver. Thanks.
If you mean inside the receiver tube, there is no "backstop" to limit insertion depth of the 1-1/4 inch ball mount. The spare tire is back there, if installed, but that's pretty far in.

I still don't really understand why this hitch is rated Class I, because it seems like the construction is more like a Class II. AFAIK Class I hitches often do have a "backstop". But this is my first foray into 1-1/4 inch hitches. My other vehicles have/had Class III 2" hitches, which are bulkier but far more functional.

There is an aftermarket 2" hitch for this vehicle, from Draw-Tite.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...SAAEgLWv_D_BwE

Last edited by Wander; 10-25-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Green Mountain (10-25-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 05:15 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks. Appreciate the info!