Heavy grease inside wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 08:44 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Heavy grease inside wheels

Had anyone noticed heavy, thick grease inside their wheels? I'm talking about the wheel barrels, the part you can see by looking through the wheel spokes. The cars in my household only get hand washed (never taken to a car wash) and when I washed the RDX for the first time, I found heavy grease on the inside of all four wheels. The grease seemed to be CV joint grease, so I cleaned it all off completely and then went under the vehicle to inspect the axles. I checked all 8 boots and they all looked perfect. No rips/tears, all clamps were present and seemed secure. Since the vehicle was only about a week old before that first wash, I didn't give it much thought. Today I washed the RDX for the second time and the driver's side front wheel had a bunch of grease on the wheel barrel again. The other three wheels were clean.

I'm not sure what's happening. This is for sure CV joint grease. The only thing I can think of is that they were grossly overfilled with grease at the factory and the excess grease is finding it's way out of the CV joint boot as the vehicle is driven. Has anyone else noticed this on their RDX? It's easy to see by looking the the spokes of the Advance wheels. I'm guessing it would be easy to see with the other wheels as well. FWIW, the is an October build RDX.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:03 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a June 2018 build date. I picked up my RDX on July 17, 2018. I also only hand wash my cars. I did a complete detail of this car probably within the first hundred mi.. I picked the car up with only 3 mi. on it which was part of the deal. I also had heavy grease on the inside wheel surface. This grease would not come off with only soap and water so I had to use wheel cleaner product. After cleaning I did a good waxing of entire wheels. I now have over 5,000 mi.'s on the car and have not seen any more grease. I should have contacted the dealer but just went on a long road trip and enjoyed car. No idea the reason for the grease. If it was only on one wheel I would have been more concerned.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:11 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by philj
I have a June 2018 build date. I picked up my RDX on July 17, 2018. I also only hand wash my cars. I did a complete detail of this car probably within the first hundred mi.. I picked the car up with only 3 mi. on it which was part of the deal. I also had heavy grease on the inside wheel surface. This grease would not come off with only soap and water so I had to use wheel cleaner product. After cleaning I did a good waxing of entire wheels. I now have over 5,000 mi.'s on the car and have not seen any more grease. I should have contacted the dealer but just went on a long road trip and enjoyed car. No idea the reason for the grease. If it was only on one wheel I would have been more concerned.
Okay, good to know I'm not the only one. I suspect there are others as well, but just haven't noticed it.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:44 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm not sure I would have classified it as axle grease, but the inside barrel of my wife's Advance had a pretty dark grey splatter. After the 2nd hand wash it has not returned so I attributed it to something wearing in or off and didn't give it much thought.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:05 AM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by fleming23
I'm not sure I would have classified it as axle grease, but the inside barrel of my wife's Advance had a pretty dark grey splatter. After the 2nd hand wash it has not returned so I attributed it to something wearing in or off and didn't give it much thought.
I'd bet it was axle grease. Yes, the axle grease is grey. I have a funny feeling that they are overfilling the CV boots in these cars at the factory. My guess is that lots of people have the same issue, but just haven't noticed it because it's on the inside of the wheels.