Has anyone been brave enough to test the turn radius in LKAS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 07:32 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone been brave enough to test the turn radius in LKAS?

I've noticed that on a well marked road, the LKAS doesn't seem to handle much more than the gentlest of curves before it crosses the line and warns me. It's not something I've really tried to push. Has anyone pushed the limits on it to see how effective it is? And is it just me or does the car kind of "roam" in the lane when it's engaged rather than staying centered?
Old 06-24-2019, 07:49 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts
I use LKAS every day and have tested the limits many times. LKAS ≠ Autopilot.

It only handles slight curves and alerts me to manually steer after ~10 seconds. It's ability to maintain lane position depends on the clarity of the lines on the road. In my experience, the "roaming" you experience is likely on roads with faded lines, poor weather conditions, or dirty sensors.
The following users liked this post:
kosulin (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 10:16 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LKAS is a joke on my car. On slight curves it's probably about 70% good. But at times it won't react to the lane lines and will run right through the curve going straight.

I expected it to work like the Audi equivalent but it is nowhere close. I'm filing a NHTSA complaint today however nothing will happen unless they get numerous similar complaints.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:19 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by C2SGuy
LKAS is a joke on my car. On slight curves it's probably about 70% good. But at times it won't react to the lane lines and will run right through the curve going straight.

I expected it to work like the Audi equivalent but it is nowhere close. I'm filing a NHTSA complaint today however nothing will happen unless they get numerous similar complaints.
I'll jump in on that complaint. I was modest in my response because I don't have much LKAS experience to go off, but overall I have been disappointed with it. Either way, I use it just as an added layer of certainty that I don't drift but I don't trust it.very much.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 191 Posts
I think people are thinking LKAS is Autopilot, they expect it to drive for them, the point of it is to help keep you in the lane WHILE YOU STEER THE CAR. Your still excepted to steer around corners, and if you do so it easily keeps you perfectly center in the lane. I have gotten mine to do pretty decent corners with no steering input but that’s not what it is supposed to be doing. If you want autopilot go buy a damn Tesla, it wasn’t advertised to drive the damn car for you, literally the name says Lane Keep ASSIST, as to assist in keeping in the lane.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
When I used LKAS on a Denver-Phoenix and return trip I found that the LKAS, overall quietness of the Advance and the comfort of the seats all contributed to less fatigue from driving 8 or so hours. I like it.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1stRDX?:
subin (06-24-2019), substance p (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 04:55 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
It is definitely no auto pilot but i've found that LKAS and ACC works wonders together on sunny highway days.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hockeyaddict
It is definitely no auto pilot but i've found that LKAS and ACC works wonders together on sunny highway days.
Same here, makes driving so effortless
Old 06-24-2019, 05:34 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
On the wife's '19 RDX, LKAS does not auto-steer on sharper curves compared to my VW Golf R. But in some rare cases the VW can pick up shadows (from power lines) or cracks on the road that can confuse the system.. and it makes sudden steering movements that I have to quickly correct. This has happened maybe 3-4 times in a year. So for that reason I'm sure the engineers don't want the auto steering capability to be too aggressive. What if you hit a construction area where old road lines are faded and the system tries to follow them directly into a concrete barrier?

Something we did notice with the RDX LKAS that's annoying is driving on the interstate -- two lanes each direction, when driving on the left (passing) lane, it tends to stay too close to the right side of the lane. So I was having to constantly fight it a bit to keep it center in the lane when passing a slower vehicle. It just gets too close to for comfort to vehicles on the right lane. Lots of 18 wheelers in our out of town commutes, so it was nerve-wracking at times. I wonder if the system can be calibrated? It seems like it leaves 2-3 feet from the yellow line on on the left, and sometimes half a foot to a foot from the broken white lines on the right side of the lane.

My Golf R LKAS tends to stay closer to the left shoulder/yellow line on the left, while the RDX tends to stay further to the right of the lane. Anyone else notice experience this?
Old 06-24-2019, 07:54 PM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Mine works fine most of the time, day/night. It is not 100% like most have already stated, but certainly help with lessen the fatigue when driving long distance.
I just would like to mention that pay attention to the two LKAS white dash lines on the center of the instrument panel. When the system could not define the lane that the car is in, they would not be white, meaning the LAKS is not available and requires driver's input.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:41 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustachio
I It only handles slight curves and alerts me to manually steer after ~10 seconds. It's ability to maintain lane position depends on the clarity of the lines on the road. In my experience, the "roaming" you experience is likely on roads with faded lines, poor weather conditions, or dirty sensors.
My 2016 RDX also gave the reminder pop-up after about 15 seconds of hands off the wheel. My new 2020 Platinum Elite, has no timeout after any period of time. I don't know if this is a change in the 2020's, or perhaps it is just another feature that Canadians get. The owners manual makes reference to the "Steering Required" message, so the other possibility is that I have a defective unit, but I don't think I will complain right away.

My 2016 LKAS was very poor. Even on a straight road, it would ping-pong between the left and right lane markers. Sometimes it would just veer across the center line immediately after letting go of the wheel. Very occasionally it would keep me between the lane markers for the entire 15 seconds.

In contrast my 2020 works very well. It will keep the RDX centered between the lines almost as well as I can do myself. The slight deviation might look like a little drifting if someone is following me, but it never comes so close to a line that I feel the need to take over.

I haven't had the 2020 long enough to check it on many curves, It seems that if the curve is so sharp that I can't see the entire curve from start to finish, then LKAS won't be able to manage it. If the curve is gentle enough that I can still see what's ahead by about 1 km, then LKAS can handle it.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
My 2016 RDX also gave the reminder pop-up after about 15 seconds of hands off the wheel. My new 2020 Platinum Elite, has no timeout after any period of time. I don't know if this is a change in the 2020's, or perhaps it is just another feature that Canadians get. The owners manual makes reference to the "Steering Required" message, so the other possibility is that I have a defective unit, but I don't think I will complain right away.

My 2016 LKAS was very poor. Even on a straight road, it would ping-pong between the left and right lane markers. Sometimes it would just veer across the center line immediately after letting go of the wheel. Very occasionally it would keep me between the lane markers for the entire 15 seconds.

In contrast my 2020 works very well. It will keep the RDX centered between the lines almost as well as I can do myself. The slight deviation might look like a little drifting if someone is following me, but it never comes so close to a line that I feel the need to take over.

I haven't had the 2020 long enough to check it on many curves, It seems that if the curve is so sharp that I can't see the entire curve from start to finish, then LKAS won't be able to manage it. If the curve is gentle enough that I can still see what's ahead by about 1 km, then LKAS can handle it.
mine at first would never warn me, but after a few months it now gives me about 10 seconds, I think it must calibrate itself over time
The following users liked this post:
RDX-Rick (06-24-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 03:17 PM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by vater
Something we did notice with the RDX LKAS that's annoying is driving on the interstate -- two lanes each direction, when driving on the left (passing) lane, it tends to stay too close to the right side of the lane. So I was having to constantly fight it a bit to keep it center in the lane when passing a slower vehicle. It just gets too close to for comfort to vehicles on the right lane. Lots of 18 wheelers in our out of town commutes, so it was nerve-wracking at times.
This phenomenon was the subject of endless discussion on the Tesla forums when I had an S. It may be more a matter of human behavior than vehicle behavior.

When passing another vehicle, especially a large 18-wheeler, drivers have a tendency to drift to the left edge rather than stay truly centered in their lane. LKAS and Autopilot don’t do that, and so our perception is that our cars are hugging the right side of our lane when they’re really centered.

This was easy to prove on the Tesla, because you can drive with the rear camera on and observe the actual lane lines. On the RDX I’m not sure how to prove it, and it may not be true in all cases.