Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
^^^yep!
Old 10-26-2018, 04:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by securityguy
^^^yep!
how do we know this problem of fuel dilution does not exist in third gen rdx?
did anyone look at their oil levels getting higher
Old 10-26-2018, 04:31 PM
Burning Brakes

The issue only impacts the 1.5L and not the 2.0L.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
RDX is the 2.0 liter turbo engine

I believe the CRV engine in question is the 1.5 liter turbo engine

has this issue been reported in Civics with the 1.5 liter turbo engine?
Old 10-26-2018, 04:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
Honda accord has similar 2.0L turbo engibe thats been out since 2018, no issues?
Old 10-26-2018, 05:59 PM
Burning Brakes

No issues with the 2.0T. I bought both my Son and my Mom 2018 Accords with the 2.0T engine. There are no reports of the dilution issue effecting the 2.0 engine.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:08 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I’ve seen quite a few UOAs of Honda 1.5L turbos with very significant fuel dilution but what I haven’t seen are UOAs with fuel dilution and excessive wear numbers. The presence of fuel dilution may not be ideal but I have not seen any evidence that it’s detrimental to engine longevity. As long as the oil still keeps moving engine parts separated this may be of no significant consequence to the engine.
The following users liked this post:
hockeyaddict (05-26-2019)
Old 10-31-2018, 10:10 AM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
Here's an update on the issue from CR: https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...rollout-plans/

So glad I didn't buy one!
Old 10-31-2018, 10:58 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
And here
Old 10-31-2018, 07:28 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Smile Honda's current "cure"

My good friend is the top service tech at a Honda dealer I get service work done. I asked him about the latest on the 1.5T engine issue. Honda Motor Corp has sent a re-programming to all dealers to put in to the eng. control computer.
It will adjust timing, fuel flow, etc, to coincide with engine temps. Too soon to know IF this is going to fix the problem.

I asked him have any 2.0T engines been in for this same issue.....and he said "no...none." And I've asked my Acura dealer about my '19 RDX engine having these kind of issues. Zero.....none. No complaints on the 2.0T engine.

So, that's what I just found out a few days ago.
The following 3 users liked this post by Colorado Guy AF Ret.:
Boltface (11-01-2018), hockeyaddict (05-26-2019), Madd Dog (11-01-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 08:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
CRV owner youtube video about fuel in oil

Old 11-06-2018, 09:51 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts
A friend of mine, who is an engineer with Honda/Acura and involved with the 2019 RDX, assured me that the RDX won't have the issues that the CR-V is experiencing. He seemed very confident in the overall mechanical build (including the 10-speed tranny) of the new RDX. Take that as you will but I trust his word to the best of his knowledge. Only time will tell if any issues will arise. This is a new design and there's always potential for unforeseeable problems.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustachio
A friend of mine, who is an engineer with Honda/Acura and involved with the 2019 RDX, assured me that the RDX won't have the issues that the CR-V is experiencing. He seemed very confident in the overall mechanical build (including the 10-speed tranny) of the new RDX. Take that as you will but I trust his word to the best of his knowledge. Only time will tell if any issues will arise. This is a new design and there's always potential for unforeseeable problems.
well, he's wrong. our 2019 RDX has been to the dealer on 4 occasions now for fuel diluting the oil it has had 5 oil changes since new it has 18k km on it. The last time we brought it in it has 800ml more oil in it then they changed it last at the beginning of February the dealership seems very concerned about the problem and are totally owning it but seem to be hog tied by Acura Canada. Acura Canada has no fix and of course has never heard of this.. so all we are supposed to do is bring it back in every time the oil is over full. the local dealership has been try hard to resolve the issue. I am just concerned about the long term engine wear this is causing.
-Yes , this winter has been cooler .yes, it sometimes get driven on short trips. however this should not happen!

Old 03-06-2019, 01:53 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
AFAIK turbocharging increases the risk of oil dilution, as well as direct injection. So these things are certainly engineering and quality control challenges. Sucks if you're the guy who gets stuck with a "QC issue".

But the 2.0T DI Honda engine has been out in Accord for a while, it's not new to RDX. Are there wide-spread problems in that application? Or in the more high-strung 2.0T Civic Type R? I don't know, just asking.

I bought my daughter a CR-V with the 1.5T and we just had it in for their mitigation campaign. I also bought her a LOOONG HondaCare warranty ( from Saccucci Honda ) to CMA. I really don't need to hear about that for the rest of my life!
Old 03-06-2019, 01:56 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
AFAIK turbocharging increases the risk of oil dilution, as well as direct injection. So these things are certainly engineering and quality control challenges. Sucks if you're the guy who gets stuck with a "QC issue".

But the 2.0T DI Honda engine has been out in Accord for a while, it's not new to RDX. Are there wide-spread problems in that application? Or in the more high-strung 2.0T Civic Type R? I don't know, just asking.

I bought my daughter a CR-V with the 1.5T and we just had it in for their mitigation campaign. I also bought her a LOOONG HondaCare warranty ( from Saccucci Honda ) to CMA. I really don't need to hear about that for the rest of my life!
Hmmm, I've driven turbocharged cars since the 1980s (from Chrysler, VW, Audi, and Toyota) and never had an oil dilution issue on any of them. That said, DI engines do tend to have more issues with oil dilution than Port style injection engines.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Honda is still downplaying the issue, but it appears they're going to be extending the warranty on the 1.5T by an additional year. Not much peace of mind if you ask me. Consumer Reports doesn't seem too impressed, either.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...turbo-engines/
Old 05-25-2019, 02:06 PM
Nuke

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I don’t trust turbos for longevity..damn, still driving my 2004 tsx, put 13000 trouble free km on it last fall driving out to western canada and northern BC. Also don’t like CVT’s. Thinking I will need to consider the Mazda CX5 non turbo. RDX drives nicely but really do you need that much HP? And.. who wants to pay the premium for higher fuel usage with the turbo and the expense of premium. Thinking CX5 and a tesla in a few years for shorter trips.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:41 PM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Oil dilution is an unfortunate side effect of high pressure direct fuel injection and closed loop EGR / PCV systems, along with dirty intake valves and increased ingestion of oil droplets (mixed with fuel and soot) into the combustion chamber. With the RDX, we can also add turbocharging to the list of "features" that were designed to increase torque, power, and efficiency, but result in potential issues down the road.

Have you guys heard of a related issue called Low Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI)? It's a phenomenon that is seen more with turbocharged direct injection engines that causes knocking during low rpm high load situations (i.e., when you floor it at low rpm), and it can be damaging to your engine.

Recent research has pointed to engine oil as being one of the important factors in preventing LSPI. One theory is that the detergents in the oil interacts with the gas and creates a low octane byproduct that can trigger pre-ignition. Therefore, one should always use an engine oil that is rated API SN PLUS / ILSAC GF-6 / GM dexos 1, which has been tested to prevent LSPI. I would also argue that only using fully synthetic oil is important to reduce the deposits on the intake valves (with direct injection, the intake valves don't get cleaned by the incoming fuel anymore like they did with port fuel injection).

Some advocate using oil catch cans as well, but I worry about issues with warranty coverage if they see mods installed in the engine bay, and you need to empty the thing on a regular basis.

Some links for further reading:

https://www.motor.com/magazine-summa...-pre-ignition/

https://www.turnology.com/tech-stori...oboost-engine/

https://www.theturboforums.com/threa...issues.384229/
Old 05-25-2019, 06:52 PM
Burning Brakes

An OCC is a mod that, if anything, enhances and further protects the engine. I have never heard of anyones warranty claim being denied due to the installation of an OCC which can only help the situation.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:52 PM
Advanced

Posted the above post without the conclusion...

Given how important engine oil is to not only providing lubrication and assisting with the cooling of the engine and the turbo, its role in preventing LSPI, and how it gets diluted with fuel from today's high pressure direct injection systems, it is essential to check your engine oil levels regularly and to get your oil changed frequently (using oil rated API SN PLUS, of course).
Old 05-25-2019, 07:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by securityguy
An OCC is a mod that, if anything, enhances and further protects the engine. I have never heard of anyones warranty claim being denied due to the installation of an OCC which can only help the situation.
We enthusiasts understand and appreciate the benefits of oil catch cans, but dealers and manufacturers can point to user modifications as grounds for not covering your engine repairs. When I used to have a VW Jetta, that crowd was into modding as well, and a couple guys on the forum that used K&N air filters were not covered when their Mass Airflow Sensors (MAF) died, on the grounds that the oil from the K&N filters contaminated the MAF.
Alias1431 (05-27-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 09:22 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HotRodW
Honda is still downplaying the issue, but it appears they're going to be extending the warranty on the 1.5T by an additional year. Not much peace of mind if you ask me. Consumer Reports doesn't seem too impressed, either.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...turbo-engines/
Definitely Honda is downplaying the issue, and that's a big concern that kept me away from the 1.5T CRV and steered me into a G2 RDX. At least Honda is finally admitting there's a problem with the 1.5T Civic in the US (but still not the Accord 1.5T). The extended warranty is something, but I wouldn't expect any of these engines to last nearly as long as the 2.4 normally aspirated engines they replaced.

But this is an RDX forum, so on to the 2.0T. Having just replaced an Accord, I spent a bit of time on the Accord forums. Oil dilution doesn't appear to be a much of a problem on the 2.0T. Some owners are reporting a gasoline smell on their oil dipstick, but used oil analyses are showing limited and not serious amounts of fuel. Will the engine go for hundreds of thousands of miles like the V6 it replaced? Time will tell, and it probably doesn't matter to most potential buyers anyhow.

"I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride"
Old 06-01-2019, 09:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by catalytic_ca
We enthusiasts understand and appreciate the benefits of oil catch cans, but dealers and manufacturers can point to user modifications as grounds for not covering your engine repairs. When I used to have a VW Jetta, that crowd was into modding as well, and a couple guys on the forum that used K&N air filters were not covered when their Mass Airflow Sensors (MAF) died, on the grounds that the oil from the K&N filters contaminated the MAF.
Yes, and that is a KNOWN issue and one that should have been rejected by the manufacturer which is why I never used oil-based filters. I don't think an OCC and an oil-based filter are a good comparison but I understand your overall point.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by bldrdx
Definitely Honda is downplaying the issue, and that's a big concern that kept me away from the 1.5T CRV and steered me into a G2 RDX. At least Honda is finally admitting there's a problem with the 1.5T Civic in the US (but still not the Accord 1.5T). The extended warranty is something, but I wouldn't expect any of these engines to last nearly as long as the 2.4 normally aspirated engines they replaced.

But this is an RDX forum, so on to the 2.0T. Having just replaced an Accord, I spent a bit of time on the Accord forums. Oil dilution doesn't appear to be a much of a problem on the 2.0T. Some owners are reporting a gasoline smell on their oil dipstick, but used oil analyses are showing limited and not serious amounts of fuel. Will the engine go for hundreds of thousands of miles like the V6 it replaced? Time will tell, and it probably doesn't matter to most potential buyers anyhow.

There's a thread for the RDX's 2.0T, too.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by bldrdx

I was drinking last night with a biker....
Old 06-01-2019, 04:26 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by nuke
I don’t trust turbos for longevity..damn, still driving my 2004 tsx, put 13000 trouble free km on it last fall driving out to western canada and northern BC. Also don’t like CVT’s. Thinking I will need to consider the Mazda CX5 non turbo. RDX drives nicely but really do you need that much HP? And.. who wants to pay the premium for higher fuel usage with the turbo and the expense of premium. Thinking CX5 and a tesla in a few years for shorter trips.
I had a turbo 6 BMW for 11 years and a bit over 120K miles, and not a single turbo or turbo-related problem. If a CX5 meets your needs, certainly go with it, but don’t blame turbo I4s, there are millions of them out there doing good service.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 06-01-2019 at 04:29 PM.
robnalex (06-02-2019)