Gap between quarter panel and back bumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 09:27 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gap between quarter panel and back bumper

Is there is special way to turn on the light ? The on and off button doesn’t turn on the dorm light .

Is this normal? The gap looks pretty big and I can see the clips inside.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:33 PM
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts
The gap isn't parallel. That's a bad sign.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:39 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by catbert430
The gap isn't parallel. That's a bad sign.

will it possible that they replaced the bumper or repaired before they sell it to me? Just picked it up few days ago
Old 08-01-2018, 09:43 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Eric H

will it possible that they replaced the bumper or repaired before they sell it to me? Just picked it up few days ago
It could be that or, more likely, it came form the factory that way.
I would take it to the service department and tell them that it doesn't look right and see if they can adjust it.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:45 PM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Make sure the switch for the lights up above where the roof controls are are not set to off.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:46 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Catman70

Make sure the switch for the lights up above where the roof controls are are not set to off.
haha, I figured it out. Thanks
Old 08-01-2018, 09:47 PM
10th Gear

It could be that or, more likely, it came form the factory that way.
I would take it to the service department and tell them that it doesn't look right and see if they can adjust it.

Thanks for the advice , and I should able to go any Acura dealer service center right ?
Old 08-01-2018, 09:50 PM
Pro

Thanks for the advice , and I should able to go any Acura dealer service center right ?
Yes but, one that has a body shop would be best (mine doesn't).
They generally expect you to go back to the dealer where you bought it but, will honor warranty repairs anywhere.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:52 PM
10th Gear

They generally expect you to go back to the dealer where you bought it but, will honor warranty repairs anywhere.

Got it, bc the dealer that I bought from is like 40 miles away. I guess I will go to the one near by and see what happen. Thanks again
Old 08-01-2018, 10:32 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
I've got similar issues on the very front of the hood. The gap between the hood and the headlight enclosures are very different from drivers to passengers sides.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:15 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Burger Steak & Eggs
I've got similar issues on the very front of the hood. The gap between the hood and the headlight enclosures are very different from drivers to passengers sides.
have you brought back to the dealership yet ?
Old 08-02-2018, 12:14 AM
Racer

Nope, just spotted it.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:18 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
How easy is it to adjust the gap on an assembled vehicle?
Old 08-02-2018, 07:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Mine was like that, I fixed it myself by lowering the bump stop that the hood rests on. You just twist the large plastic "bolt" to either raise or lower the bump stop of the hood.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Mine was like that, I fixed it myself by lowering the bump stop that the hood rests on. You just twist the large plastic "bolt" to either raise or lower the bump stop of the hood.
I got mine better by doing the opposite. The bolt on the side with the excessive gap was already screwed in all the way, so I tried unscrewing the bolt on the other side (with the smaller gap). That seemed to close the larger gap and even both gaps out. It still looks like there is too much gap on both sides.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:55 PM
10th Gear

Went to the dealership today, they saw the problem but wouldn’t fix it for me. Refer me back to the original purchase dealer because the car only has 200 miles on it -.-
Old 08-04-2018, 12:45 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Went to the dealership today, they saw the problem but wouldn’t fix it for me. Refer me back to the original purchase dealer because the car only has 200 miles on it -.-

This is what pisses me off about dealerships, they get reimbursed by Acura for warranty work. They're just mad you purchased from another dealership.

Back in the day, 1989, I bought the redesigned Nissan 300ZX. I went to the nearest dealership and they wanted 3K Adjusted Market Value over MSRP and said they had a waiting list. I went to an auto broker thru my credit union who got me the car for $2500 under MSRP. I asked him how, and he told me that he buys alot of cars and deals with all the dealership fleet managers in the area. Being a new redesign, I had some minor problems and brought the car into the the dealership for a clunking sound. They said the hatchback latch was misadjusted. Of course, this didn't fix it and brought it back several times and still there was a clunking noise over bumps. On the last visit, they told me not to come back since I didn't buy the car from them. Ironically, my sticker (which was not put on the car window, but my broker gave me) said it was from that dealership, but from fleet sales. I told my auto broker about what happened and he said the manager was pissed at him because he sells alot of cars out from under the regular sales team. He recommended another dealership in the next city over. I drove to the other dealership which was 26miles away, waited several hours and they came back and said that the latch was defective (ie no amount of adjustment would have fixed it) and they replaced it under warranty. the service manager also told me that he ordered a new seat cover and underlying foam for my drivers seat bolster which had a small hole wearing in it. I told him I was shocked because I though seat wear was not covered under warranty so I had not mentioined it. He said that it was obvious that the underlying foam had split and allowed the fabric covering to rub on the metal support which caused the wear. He told me he would call when the parts arrived. It was replaced, the car was washed and I never had a problem with seat wear when I sold the car years later.

This was way before social media, but I told as many people about stealership #1 vs dealership #2 as I could.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:45 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
I got mine better by doing the opposite. The bolt on the side with the excessive gap was already screwed in all the way, so I tried unscrewing the bolt on the other side (with the smaller gap). That seemed to close the larger gap and even both gaps out. It still looks like there is too much gap on both sides.
It's kind of sad that people are adjusting body panels on a brand new "Luxury" car themselves. Acura still has figured this out? People were having similar problems with the MDXs
Old 08-04-2018, 12:46 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ednigma
This is what pisses me off about dealerships, they get reimbursed by Acura for warranty work. They're just mad you purchased from another dealership.

Back in the day, 1989, I bought the redesigned Nissan 300ZX. I went to the nearest dealership and they wanted 3K Adjusted Market Value over MSRP and said they had a waiting list. I went to an auto broker thru my credit union who got me the car for $2500 under MSRP. I asked him how, and he told me that he buys alot of cars and deals with all the dealership fleet managers in the area. Being a new redesign, I had some minor problems and brought the car into the the dealership for a clunking sound. They said the hatchback latch was misadjusted. Of course, this didn't fix it and brought it back several times and still there was a clunking noise over bumps. On the last visit, they told me not to come back since I didn't buy the car from them. Ironically, my sticker (which was not put on the car window, but my broker gave me) said it was from that dealership, but from fleet sales. I told my auto broker about what happened and he said the manager was pissed at him because he sells alot of cars out from under the regular sales team. He recommended another dealership in the next city over. I drove to the other dealership which was 26miles away, waited several hours and they came back and said that the latch was defective (ie no amount of adjustment would have fixed it) and they replaced it under warranty. the service manager also told me that he ordered a new seat cover and underlying foam for my drivers seat bolster which had a small hole wearing in it. I told him I was shocked because I though seat wear was not covered under warranty so I had not mentioined it. He said that it was obvious that the underlying foam had split and allowed the fabric covering to rub on the metal support which caused the wear. He told me he would call when the parts arrived. It was replaced, the car was washed and I never had a problem with seat wear when I sold the car years later.

This was way before social media, but I told as many people about stealership #1 vs dealership #2 as I could.
I feel you, they were like if your car has 5000 miles on it, we will fix it for you. But I’m like if it has 5000 miles, at that time you guys will be like this is too old and you damage the car and it didn’t come defected.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:47 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by skarface
It's kind of sad that people are adjusting body panels on a brand new "Luxury" car themselves. Acura still has figured this out? People were having similar problems with the MDXs

Definitely!!! I’m so disappointed. Should’ve went with Lexus.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:25 PM
Racer

I might have also but I could never get past the looks of their front ends (grills).
Old 08-04-2018, 05:02 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts

it’s possible. And I’ve learned this week from talking to various body shops about my situation that if the car arrives at the dealer with damage and it’s less
than $1000 they can fix it and don’t have to disclose it to the buyer.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:11 PM
Pro

One of the OnePack videos instructs dealers to check the panel gaps with an Acura panel gap measuring tool and to notify TechLine immediately if they discover any bad gaps.
This is a required part of pre-delivery inspection.
Both your original dealer and the one you took the car to are dicks.
The following users liked this post:
MTD (08-04-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 07:31 PM
Racer

As stated I've got mine matched up well enough. Just for laughs I swung by the dealer today and looked at the hood gaps of other 2019 RDXs. Some were better than mine was, some were the same. In some cases the difference in the front hood gaps between drivers and passengers sides was about 3/8".
Old 08-04-2018, 07:49 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
I used to work at the big Toyota plant here in Ontario. That plant built the Lexus RX, Corolla, and Matrix. The Corollas destined for Mexico were literally thrown together without much of a QC inspection. The Corolla and Matrix for the US and Canada when through their own inspections. The RX went through a very thorough one in comparison. The vehicles themselves took longer to build and the panel gaps, paint, and overall fit and finish was inspected. They did use a tool to measure things like panel gap and paint thickness, but even then there was a certain toerance that the gaps could be and not necessarily uniform throughout. Regardless of the price or quality of the vehicle, its not going to be perfect.

On a side note, builing cars and seeing how certain things work was a really cool experience. As a whole, most things were still assembled by hand and the lines moved very quickly, quanty over quality in most cases. I remember seeing entire cars disassembled for a bolt or part that was installed improperly or not at all, then the car put back together. Cars repainted if a tool was dragged down the side by accident, new models covered in camo or the odd one being sent down the line for practice on a weekend OT shift.