FWD RDX - any regrets not getting SH-AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 11:04 AM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
Are you guys that got the SH-AWD noticing a difference in terms of handling? I got the SH-AWD in the hopes that it would offset the move from a sedan to a crossover, but it still handles like a crossover (yes I know, obviously). I'm wondering if there is a trick to it, my sales guy said you just need to go into the turns a bit faster (but safely) and let the SH-AWD do its thing.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:22 AM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by spinedoc777
Are you guys that got the SH-AWD noticing a difference in terms of handling? I got the SH-AWD in the hopes that it would offset the move from a sedan to a crossover, but it still handles like a crossover (yes I know, obviously). I'm wondering if there is a trick to it, my sales guy said you just need to go into the turns a bit faster (but safely) and let the SH-AWD do its thing.
Admittedly, there's little to no difference in handling between FWD and AWD in dry conditions with "normal" driving.

The advantages of AWD become apparent as you approach the tires' limits of traction.

Even on some dry roads, a FWD RDX will spin one or both front tires in 1st and 2nd gears with moderate acceleration as weight is transferred from the front wheels to the rear wheels. An AWD RDX sends power to the rear wheels on take-up virtually eliminating any loss of traction even at full throttle. Floor a FWD RDX from a stop on dry roads and you'll just grind bits of rubber off the tires as you're greeted by a flashing VSA indicator.

Even with more gentle acceleration in a sharp turn, a FWD RDX will spin the inside front tire. an AWD RDX will just pull right through.

When coasting or braking through a sharp curve or corner at higher-than-prudent speeds, a FWD RDX will tend to plow as the front outside wheel is overwhelmed. An AWD RDX will apply the brakes to the inside front and rear wheels to help bring the vehicle through the corner taking some of the load off of the front outside tire.

When accelerating through a sharp curve or corner at higher-than-prudent speeds, an AWD RDX will send more power to the outside wheel to help bring the vehicle through the corner with less plow.

Tire squeal can be fun in a juvenile sort of way, but it also attracts unwanted attention, wears down the tires more quickly, and puts a strain on the front differential pinion gears.

There's significantly more advantage to AWD on wet or snowy roads. Floor a FWD RDX on a wet road and you won't be going anywhere very fast.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:20 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by spinedoc777

some of the advantage is subtle, some more obvious.

I suggest you put the AWD info on your info display screen, and drive, you will see what each wheel is doing. As you glance at it, realize that fwd only moves the front wheels.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:03 PM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by zroger73
Admittedly, there's little to no difference in handling between FWD and AWD in dry conditions with "normal" driving.

The advantages of AWD become apparent as you approach the tires' limits of traction.

Even on some dry roads, a FWD RDX will spin one or both front tires in 1st and 2nd gears with moderate acceleration as weight is transferred from the front wheels to the rear wheels. An AWD RDX sends power to the rear wheels on take-up virtually eliminating any loss of traction even at full throttle. Floor a FWD RDX from a stop on dry roads and you'll just grind bits of rubber off the tires as you're greeted by a flashing VSA indicator.

Even with more gentle acceleration in a sharp turn, a FWD RDX will spin the inside front tire. an AWD RDX will just pull right through.

When coasting or braking through a sharp curve or corner at higher-than-prudent speeds, a FWD RDX will tend to plow as the front outside wheel is overwhelmed. An AWD RDX will apply the brakes to the inside front and rear wheels to help bring the vehicle through the corner taking some of the load off of the front outside tire.

When accelerating through a sharp curve or corner at higher-than-prudent speeds, an AWD RDX will send more power to the outside wheel to help bring the vehicle through the corner with less plow.

Tire squeal can be fun in a juvenile sort of way, but it also attracts unwanted attention, wears down the tires more quickly, and puts a strain on the front differential pinion gears.

There's significantly more advantage to AWD on wet or snowy roads. Floor a FWD RDX on a wet road and you won't be going anywhere very fast.
Originally Posted by Madd Dog

I suggest you put the AWD info on your info display screen, and drive, you will see what each wheel is doing. As you glance at it, realize that fwd only moves the front wheels.
Interesting and great info. I did put the AWD on the display screen and it's fascinating, of course I have to watch the road sometimes!

Old 01-02-2019, 06:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts

Would be smart of them to implement the SH-AWD display into the HUD.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:53 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Guys,

For those who have had it done, how much is it to purchase a spare tire from Acura and have them install it on the RDX?

Also, is it the same spare tire that would have come with an AWD RDX?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2019, 01:46 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't tell you how much a spare tire from the dealer costs, but I paid $212.87 + $19.10 shipping for the kit (06421-TJB-A50 ) from Acura Parts Warehouse. BTW that is the A-spec part # and it worked fine in my advanced. I ordered the tire from tire rack for $97.71.T155/90D-17 KUMHO SPARE TIRE T131 SL
Old 02-12-2019, 03:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Twaeball
I can't tell you how much a spare tire from the dealer costs, but I paid $212.87 + $19.10 shipping for the kit (06421-TJB-A50 ) from Acura Parts Warehouse. BTW that is the A-spec part # and it worked fine in my advanced. I ordered the tire from tire rack for $97.71.T155/90D-17 KUMHO SPARE TIRE T131 SL
super easy to install yourself, it’s about $500-600 ish if the dealer does it with the parts, parts for me came to about $340 with the tire,and I did it myself, not hard at all
The following users liked this post:
alpine909 (02-23-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 03:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
To those who say their wife wouldn’t notice if the car has SH-AWD or not, why not just get it with SH-AWD then? She won’t even notice, as you’ve already said.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
To those who say their wife wouldn’t notice if the car has SH-AWD or not, why not just get it with SH-AWD then? She won’t even notice, as you’ve already said.

for 2k more having AWD is a steal, in Minnesota it is a no brainer, and half the fun of this car is having the back end pushing you around a corner
Old 02-12-2019, 04:17 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak

for 2k more having AWD is a steal, in Minnesota it is a no brainer, and half the fun of this car is having the back end pushing you around a corner
At your age, I would tend to agree. Come talk to me in 40 years.... scratch that! ...come talk to my grandson in 40 years and see if you still feel the same way.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
At your age, I would tend to agree. Come talk to me in 40 years.... scratch that! ...come talk to my grandson in 40 years and see if you still feel the same way.
I will say the best part in Minnesota where we just got dumped 9 inches is watching all these people spinning their wheels and I just take off like nothing, I can’t even imagine what it would be like with snow tires, love the AWD in this car
Old 02-12-2019, 04:32 PM
Drifting

I will say the best part in Minnesota where we just got dumped 9 inches is watching all these people spinning their wheels and I just take off like nothing, I can’t even imagine what it would be like with snow tires, love the AWD in this car
I'm sure glad I don't live where it gets snow and ice! Other than if I wanted to race around corners, I have no need for SH-AWD or otherwise. Now, if I lived in snow country I would have it without question.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:03 PM
Racer

in Minnesota it is a no brainer
I'm totally with you here. If I lived in Minnesota I would absolutely get SH-AWD.

half the fun of this car is having the back end pushing you around a corner
Cant say that I'm with you here, though. Different strokes I suppose.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:01 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by Sounds
Same boat again. We've got a 2006 Pilot and I've also been looking at the sizes. 2006 Pilot = 188". 2019 Passport = 190.5". 2019 RDX = 186.7". 2019 Pilot = 196.5".
And similar boat here. My Gen1 Pilot was more than big enough for any of our needs. But we've never needed the 3rd row and now they've stretched it, widened it and lowered it a little. I'm 6'2" and there's at least 4" headroom. I would have to STUFF a new Pilot or MDX into my garage. I'm not looking for more vehicle. At this stage of my life, I'm looking for a little less vehicle but a lot nicer vehicle. The RDX is one of the most enjoyable vehicles I've ever driven. And I see the benefits of the SH-AWD in any weather.

@tsxowner1 , If it's your wife's car and she won't ever appreciate the difference, then save yourself a couple grand. But If you want to convince her because you'll be driving it too, tell her ... "If you do, you'll be glad you did. If you don't, you'll wish you had." That might work.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
... tell her ... "If you do, you'll be glad you did. If you don't, you'll wish you had." That might work.
If you have it and don't need it - 'no problem', if you don't have it and need it - 'problem'.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Posted in the wrong thread 😂

Last edited by Dereileak; 02-12-2019 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Guys,

For those who have had it done, how much is it to purchase a spare tire from Acura and have them install it on the RDX?

Also, is it the same spare tire that would have come with an AWD RDX?

Thanks!
Aldo you can fit a 165/90R17 instead of the 155/90R17, which will give you a closer to stock size diameter (although it adds width it will add diameter because you didn’t increase the rim width) even with the hitch

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.j...R7KH&tab=Specs

got my kit from Acura parts warehouse, the top 3 parts are the aspec spare tire kit, then you still need a tire, bottom 2 are the a-spec hitch items

the top two items you technically don’t need, they replace the covers with a picture of a spare instead of the sealant, really not necessary but they are cheap
Old 02-22-2019, 07:08 AM
Pop
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura says there is a 1 mpg difference between fwd and awd. Has anyone seen stats for what the actual real life difference is? or any guesses?
Old 02-22-2019, 08:06 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Pop
Acura says there is a 1 mpg difference between fwd and awd. Has anyone seen stats for what the actual real life difference is? or any guesses?
​​​​​​
Fuelly.com is the largest and most comprehensive source for real-world fuel economy. Unfortunately, there's no selection for drive type for the 2019 RDX so there's no way to differentiate between FWD and AWD models unless an owner specifically describes the drive type. Few, if any, currently do.

"Based on data from 41 vehicles, 540 fuel-ups and 147,880 miles of driving, the 2019 Acura RDX gets a combined Avg MPG of 21.41 with a 0.35 MPG margin of error." - 2019 Acura RDX MPG - Actual MPG from 41 2019 Acura RDX owners

Honda rates the FWD RDX at 24 MPG combined and the AWD RDX at 23 MPG combined. Approximately two-thirds of all 2019 RDX's are AWD resulting in a weighted average rating of 23.3 MPG or about 1.9 MPG less than Honda's combined rating.

Based on the actual test data available from the EPA, I'd say the real-world difference between FWD and AWD will be very close to 1 MPG.

Based on an average of 12,000 miles per year at today's national average price per gallon of premium gasoline of $2.941, the extra fuel cost for AWD should be about $5.33 per month.

Last edited by zroger73; 02-22-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:20 AM
Pop
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
​​​​​​
Fuelly.com is the largest and most comprehensive source for real-world fuel economy. Unfortunately, there's no selection for drive type for the 2019 RDX so there's no way to differentiate between FWD and AWD models unless an owner specifically describes the drive type. Few, if any, currently do.

"Based on data from 41 vehicles, 540 fuel-ups and 147,880 miles of driving, the 2019 Acura RDX gets a combined Avg MPG of 21.41 with a 0.35 MPG margin of error." - 2019 Acura RDX MPG - Actual MPG from 41 2019 Acura RDX owners

Honda rates the FWD RDX at 24 MPG combined and the AWD RDX at 23 MPG combined. Approximately two-thirds of all 2019 RDX's are AWD resulting in a weighted average rating of 23.3 MPG or about 1.9 MPG less than Honda's combined rating.

Based on the actual test data available from the EPA, I'd say the real-world difference between FWD and AWD will be very close to 1 MPG.

Based on an average of 12,000 miles per year at today's national average price per gallon of premium gasoline of $2.941, the extra fuel cost for AWD should be about $5.33 per month.
ok. thank you
Old 02-22-2019, 09:55 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I'm always on the fence with AWD vs FWD. I really think AWD is a luxury unless you live in a place that gets a ton of snow. I live in Utah and I don't consider the snow to warrant AWD, even with this wet winter we've had (currently at 170% of normal). But....it sure is a nice luxury to have - both in the snow as well as dry, especially the SH-AWD system which is exceptional.

There are certainly times I've wanted AWD on my '12 TL but not enough to have paid the premium, put up with the bugs (3.7L engine oil consumption and propeller shaft bearing problems) and deal with the extra weight which is a speed and agility killer. However, with an SUV like the RDX, I think I'd opt for the AWD because I wouldn't mod it and wouldn't care about speed. Even without AWD, the 4G TL is plenty sporty. I can easily drift with it and it does 0-60 in 5.4, now about 5 with all the bolt-ons and Ktuner. But I wouldn't be interested with that in the RDX. I know it's not gutless but I wouldn't but an SUV for speed. It'd buy it for utility. And in that case, I'd want the AWD just for good measure.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a FWD and I've had my car for about 7 months now. I'm kind of regretting my decision since I just found out my husband and I are getting stationed in Germany (right now in California) and feel like I'm definitely going to need it going there since we are going to be relying on my vehicle alone. So now, I'm contemplating trading my car in for an AWD. Just don't want to make any bonehead moves. When I originally went to look, there weren't many AWDs on the lot and I never thought I would need it (or that we'd be going to Germany).
Old 02-22-2019, 06:41 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in a similar boat. I plan on getting an RDX or the upcoming Honda Passport (not sure which yet). In either case I want SH-AWD because of all the good things I've read about it. BUT we live in Florida where there is (A) no snow, (B) no hills, (C) no major curves [the streets are in one big grid, mostly perfectly straight lines], and (D) we mostly just ride around town on local streets. Therefore, my wife thinks it's a total waste of $2000 since we have no need what-so-ever for AWD. Is she right?
[/left]
It may be a grid, but you probably make turns on that grid. And, maybe the AWD will encourage you to take your wife on a trip to some place with fun roads? Just trying to help.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alpine909
It may be a grid, but you probably make turns on that grid. And, maybe the AWD will encourage you to take your wife on a trip to some place with fun roads? Just trying to help.
let’s say you have a 5 year loan, $33 is totally worth AWD, the AWD makes this car fun to drive, you will be missing out on a big part of the fun of owning this car without it
Old 02-23-2019, 08:53 AM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
I'm sure glad I don't live where it gets snow and ice! ...
You just had to jinx yourself, didn't you?
Old 02-23-2019, 09:10 AM
Drifting

let’s say you have a 5 year loan, $33 is totally worth AWD, the AWD makes this car fun to drive, you will be missing out on a big part of the fun of owning this car without it
If you have roads that are fun to drive on, that is.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:00 AM
Racer

If you have roads that are fun to drive on, that is.
Yep. Which I don't, 98 or 99% of the time I'm driving.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:52 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JustMe...
You just had to jinx yourself, didn't you?
YEAH! LOL We sure got some yesterday. Kinda fun once every 4 or 5 years.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:28 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
FWD Cost

I went with the FWD, since it's $5k cheaper. MSRP is only 2k more expensive, but the SH-AWD Tech around Sacramento didn't seem to have many dealer discounts. The FWD Tech was 10% off MSRP pretty easily.

I agree there is some regrets about not getting SH-AWD. But, I live in Sacramento, CA so there is no snow and rain season is short here.

I do get embarrassed by how much torque the front wheels get, and the tire squealing. Though, I am getting use to it. I try to now make sure I have some momentum before I floor the acceleration. I hope once OEM tires are replaced, this will be less of an issue.

IF the 5k wasn't a big deal, I think I would have gotten the SH-AWD. Though if I did spend the extra 5K, I would of wish I spent another 10k for a porsche macan.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:35 AM
OPP
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In Canada there's not even a FWD option lol!
zroger73 (09-27-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 05:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I live in Maryland. Although our winters aren’t too harsh, FWD wasn’t a real option.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:17 AM
Pro

...yet we survived decades driving rear-wheel drive automobiles without stability control, traction control, or anti-lock brakes in the snow and ice.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:40 AM
Drifting

...yet we survived decades driving rear-wheel drive automobiles without stability control, traction control, or anti-lock brakes in the snow and ice.
I got quite good at recovering from oversteer spins.

On another note, my ‘76 Celica did not have anywhere near the infotainment issues the RDX has.
zroger73 (09-28-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 10:56 AM
Drifting

On another note, my ‘76 Celica did not have anywhere near the infotainment issues the RDX has.
Did it ever eat a cassette tape?
Old 09-28-2019, 12:45 PM
Drifting

Did it ever eat a cassette tape?
lol, did it ever not?
Old 09-28-2019, 06:54 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
And we liked it.

Does it rain where you live? I haven't driven in snow yet but the SH-AWD makes a big difference in heavy rain.

Last edited by NooYawkuh; 09-28-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:42 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh

Does it rain where you live? ....
No, not so much, that's why it is called desert! Year to date about 5 inches. It's so dry, (humidity is often as low as 8%!) that when we go away for a week, the water in the toilet bowls evaporate completely.
From Wikipedia: "A desert is a barren area of landscape where little precipitation occurs.."

And that's why I am perfectly happy with my FWD RDX. Lower initial cost, a bit better mpg, and a bit lower maintenance costs. WIN!
Old 10-02-2019, 10:07 PM
Gearhead

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
AZ is one of the few places I'd really just consider the FWD version assuming I never wanted to travel up in the mountains in the winter. When I lived in Phoenix I always found myself driving someplace in the mountains regardless of season.
JB in AZ (10-02-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 10:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by wavshrdr
AZ is one of the few places I'd really just consider the FWD version assuming I never wanted to travel up in the mountains in the winter. When I lived in Phoenix I always found myself driving someplace in the mountains regardless of season.
Yeah, we are actually 100 miles south of Phoenix, and rarely, if ever drive to the mountains when there is snow. Our older bodies just don't like the cold! About the only time we DO go to the mountains is in summer to cool off just a bit!

Quick Reply: FWD RDX - any regrets not getting SH-AWD?