FWD RDX - any regrets not getting SH-AWD? - Page 2 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

FWD RDX - any regrets not getting SH-AWD?

Old 12-31-2018, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

Are you guys that got the SH-AWD noticing a difference in terms of handling? I got the SH-AWD in the hopes that it would offset the move from a sedan to a crossover, but it still handles like a crossover (yes I know, obviously). I'm wondering if there is a trick to it, my sales guy said you just need to go into the turns a bit faster (but safely) and let the SH-AWD do its thing.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:22 PM
2019 Ridgeline RTL-E

Originally Posted by spinedoc777 View Post
Are you guys that got the SH-AWD noticing a difference in terms of handling? I got the SH-AWD in the hopes that it would offset the move from a sedan to a crossover, but it still handles like a crossover (yes I know, obviously). I'm wondering if there is a trick to it, my sales guy said you just need to go into the turns a bit faster (but safely) and let the SH-AWD do its thing.
Admittedly, there's little to no difference in handling between FWD and AWD in dry conditions with "normal" driving.

The advantages of AWD become apparent as you approach the tires' limits of traction.

Even on some dry roads, a FWD RDX will spin one or both front tires in 1st and 2nd gears with moderate acceleration as weight is transferred from the front wheels to the rear wheels. An AWD RDX sends power to the rear wheels on take-up virtually eliminating any loss of traction even at full throttle. Floor a FWD RDX from a stop on dry roads and you'll just grind bits of rubber off the tires as you're greeted by a flashing VSA indicator.

Even with more gentle acceleration in a sharp turn, a FWD RDX will spin the inside front tire. an AWD RDX will just pull right through.

When coasting or braking through a sharp curve or corner at higher-than-prudent speeds, a FWD RDX will tend to plow as the front outside wheel is overwhelmed. An AWD RDX will apply the brakes to the inside front and rear wheels to help bring the vehicle through the corner taking some of the load off of the front outside tire.

When accelerating through a sharp curve or corner at higher-than-prudent speeds, an AWD RDX will send more power to the outside wheel to help bring the vehicle through the corner with less plow.

Tire squeal can be fun in a juvenile sort of way, but it also attracts unwanted attention, wears down the tires more quickly, and puts a strain on the front differential pinion gears.

There's significantly more advantage to AWD on wet or snowy roads. Floor a FWD RDX on a wet road and you won't be going anywhere very fast.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by spinedoc777 View Post

some of the advantage is subtle, some more obvious.

I suggest you put the AWD info on your info display screen, and drive, you will see what each wheel is doing. As you glance at it, realize that fwd only moves the front wheels.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post
Admittedly, there's little to no difference in handling between FWD and AWD in dry conditions with "normal" driving.

The advantages of AWD become apparent as you approach the tires' limits of traction.

Even on some dry roads, a FWD RDX will spin one or both front tires in 1st and 2nd gears with moderate acceleration as weight is transferred from the front wheels to the rear wheels. An AWD RDX sends power to the rear wheels on take-up virtually eliminating any loss of traction even at full throttle. Floor a FWD RDX from a stop on dry roads and you'll just grind bits of rubber off the tires as you're greeted by a flashing VSA indicator.

Even with more gentle acceleration in a sharp turn, a FWD RDX will spin the inside front tire. an AWD RDX will just pull right through.

When coasting or braking through a sharp curve or corner at higher-than-prudent speeds, a FWD RDX will tend to plow as the front outside wheel is overwhelmed. An AWD RDX will apply the brakes to the inside front and rear wheels to help bring the vehicle through the corner taking some of the load off of the front outside tire.

When accelerating through a sharp curve or corner at higher-than-prudent speeds, an AWD RDX will send more power to the outside wheel to help bring the vehicle through the corner with less plow.

Tire squeal can be fun in a juvenile sort of way, but it also attracts unwanted attention, wears down the tires more quickly, and puts a strain on the front differential pinion gears.

There's significantly more advantage to AWD on wet or snowy roads. Floor a FWD RDX on a wet road and you won't be going anywhere very fast.
Originally Posted by Madd Dog View Post

I suggest you put the AWD info on your info display screen, and drive, you will see what each wheel is doing. As you glance at it, realize that fwd only moves the front wheels.
Interesting and great info. I did put the AWD on the display screen and it's fascinating, of course I have to watch the road sometimes!

Old 01-02-2019, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Madd Dog View Post

Would be smart of them to implement the SH-AWD display into the HUD.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

Guys,

For those who have had it done, how much is it to purchase a spare tire from Acura and have them install it on the RDX?

Also, is it the same spare tire that would have come with an AWD RDX?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2019, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

I can't tell you how much a spare tire from the dealer costs, but I paid $212.87 + $19.10 shipping for the kit (06421-TJB-A50 ) from Acura Parts Warehouse. BTW that is the A-spec part # and it worked fine in my advanced. I ordered the tire from tire rack for $97.71.T155/90D-17 KUMHO SPARE TIRE T131 SL
Old 02-12-2019, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Twaeball View Post
I can't tell you how much a spare tire from the dealer costs, but I paid $212.87 + $19.10 shipping for the kit (06421-TJB-A50 ) from Acura Parts Warehouse. BTW that is the A-spec part # and it worked fine in my advanced. I ordered the tire from tire rack for $97.71.T155/90D-17 KUMHO SPARE TIRE T131 SL
super easy to install yourself, itís about $500-600 ish if the dealer does it with the parts, parts for me came to about $340 with the tire,and I did it myself, not hard at all
Old 02-12-2019, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

To those who say their wife wouldnít notice if the car has SH-AWD or not, why not just get it with SH-AWD then? She wonít even notice, as youíve already said.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SebringSilver View Post
To those who say their wife wouldnít notice if the car has SH-AWD or not, why not just get it with SH-AWD then? She wonít even notice, as youíve already said.

for 2k more having AWD is a steal, in Minnesota it is a no brainer, and half the fun of this car is having the back end pushing you around a corner
Old 02-12-2019, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Dereileak View Post

for 2k more having AWD is a steal, in Minnesota it is a no brainer, and half the fun of this car is having the back end pushing you around a corner
At your age, I would tend to agree. Come talk to me in 40 years.... scratch that! ...come talk to my grandson in 40 years and see if you still feel the same way.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by JB in AZ View Post
At your age, I would tend to agree. Come talk to me in 40 years.... scratch that! ...come talk to my grandson in 40 years and see if you still feel the same way.
I will say the best part in Minnesota where we just got dumped 9 inches is watching all these people spinning their wheels and I just take off like nothing, I canít even imagine what it would be like with snow tires, love the AWD in this car
Old 02-12-2019, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

I will say the best part in Minnesota where we just got dumped 9 inches is watching all these people spinning their wheels and I just take off like nothing, I canít even imagine what it would be like with snow tires, love the AWD in this car
I'm sure glad I don't live where it gets snow and ice! Other than if I wanted to race around corners, I have no need for SH-AWD or otherwise. Now, if I lived in snow country I would have it without question.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

in Minnesota it is a no brainer
I'm totally with you here. If I lived in Minnesota I would absolutely get SH-AWD.

half the fun of this car is having the back end pushing you around a corner
Cant say that I'm with you here, though. Different strokes I suppose.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Sounds View Post
Same boat again. We've got a 2006 Pilot and I've also been looking at the sizes. 2006 Pilot = 188". 2019 Passport = 190.5". 2019 RDX = 186.7". 2019 Pilot = 196.5".
And similar boat here. My Gen1 Pilot was more than big enough for any of our needs. But we've never needed the 3rd row and now they've stretched it, widened it and lowered it a little. I'm 6'2" and there's at least 4" headroom. I would have to STUFF a new Pilot or MDX into my garage. I'm not looking for more vehicle. At this stage of my life, I'm looking for a little less vehicle but a lot nicer vehicle. The RDX is one of the most enjoyable vehicles I've ever driven. And I see the benefits of the SH-AWD in any weather.

@tsxowner1 , If it's your wife's car and she won't ever appreciate the difference, then save yourself a couple grand. But If you want to convince her because you'll be driving it too, tell her ... "If you do, you'll be glad you did. If you don't, you'll wish you had." That might work.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh View Post
... tell her ... "If you do, you'll be glad you did. If you don't, you'll wish you had." That might work.
If you have it and don't need it - 'no problem', if you don't have it and need it - 'problem'.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:38 PM
Registered Member

Posted in the wrong thread 😂

Last edited by Dereileak; 02-12-2019 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Sounds View Post
Guys,

For those who have had it done, how much is it to purchase a spare tire from Acura and have them install it on the RDX?

Also, is it the same spare tire that would have come with an AWD RDX?

Thanks!
Aldo you can fit a 165/90R17 instead of the 155/90R17, which will give you a closer to stock size diameter (although it adds width it will add diameter because you didnít increase the rim width) even with the hitch

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.j...R7KH&tab=Specs

got my kit from Acura parts warehouse, the top 3 parts are the aspec spare tire kit, then you still need a tire, bottom 2 are the a-spec hitch items

the top two items you technically donít need, they replace the covers with a picture of a spare instead of the sealant, really not necessary but they are cheap