FWD RDX - any regrets not getting SH-AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 09:12 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
FWD RDX - any regrets not getting SH-AWD?

We are considering the RDX to be our next vehicle and at this point we are most likely getting the Tech package. The one thing that my wife and I can’t really agree with is whether to get the FWD or SH-AWD.

She wants the FWD, she doesn’t think the $2000 SH-AWD premium is worth it. We still have a Honda Pilot with AWD so we are ok when we get snow.

So.....anyone regret not getting SH-AWD? Can you really tell that much of a difference in the driving dynamics? The car will be my wife’s primary car to and from work (mostly highway and a little bit of stop and go traffic)
Old 12-18-2018, 09:49 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
This is something only you can answer for yourself by test driving both.
For myself going from a FWD car to SH-AWD, the SH-AWD is a blast to drive even in dry weather. If you care about driving dynamics, it's worth the $2000. But again, only you (or wife) can answer that after a test drive.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:33 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Why not? It's a waste not to get it. Glad my 2007 came standard equipped with it!

Turn off VSA, put it in 2nd, then floor it through an apex and be prepared for some fun!

On account of this wife votes NO!
Old 12-18-2018, 10:44 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My wife and I got the FWD version A-Spec and to be quite honest it handles fairly well, so we don't regret not getting the SH-AWD.. This is my wife's daily and our weekend family hauler with 1200+ miles on the vehicle so far we are pleased. We also own a Audi S4 which has Quattro and we are fairly impressed with FWD A-Spec driving dynamics(way better than our 2016 RDX).

Old 12-19-2018, 01:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
I don't understand why anybody would buy a crossover, let alone a sporty one, and NOT get the AWD system. I know most of us don't even take our crossovers offroad but it just seems like it defeats the purpose to me. But I mean your call on what to do. If you didn't have snow and were thinking of FWD I'd maybe think sure why not but you have snow and you don't want the AWD?.....umm.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:48 AM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by RDX10
I don't understand why anybody would buy a crossover, let alone a sporty one, and NOT get the AWD system. I know most of us don't even take our crossovers offroad but it just seems like it defeats the purpose to me. But I mean your call on what to do. If you didn't have snow and were thinking of FWD I'd maybe think sure why not but you have snow and you don't want the AWD?.....umm.

Y'all are lucky up there how AWD is widely offered and is almost standard equipment...

Here in the south, no one ever gets it... We still get infrequent snow and have hills....

We got snow twice last year, and once the year before, even in southern Mississippi, I needed my AWD.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:21 AM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
The dealers here in the Pacific Northwest only stock the SH-AWD RDX and MDX. Nobody wants FWD suv's or crossovers here. The Honda dealers only stock awd versions of the CRV as well.

Either way for me, it was a no brainer to get the SH-AWD. Its certainly not an option you could add at a later point if you ever wished you had it (without trading in your FWD for one), and whats it maybe an extra 30 - 35 a month in payment? Once I had it in my TLX I was hooked, and I will probably never buy another Acura without it.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Y'all are lucky up there how AWD is widely offered and is almost standard equipment...

Here in the south, no one ever gets it... We still get infrequent snow and have hills....

We got snow twice last year, and once the year before, even in southern Mississippi, I needed my AWD.
Yeah but it's fairly standard for good reason, we need it! Well we don't always need it but when we do need it, it's not something I'd want to live without. Especially not a system that also aids in sporty handling like SH-AWD or X-Drive, true Quattro...etc.

Originally Posted by Silvaccordex01
The dealers here in the Pacific Northwest only stock the SH-AWD RDX and MDX. Nobody wants FWD suv's or crossovers here. The Honda dealers only stock awd versions of the CRV as well.

Either way for me, it was a no brainer to get the SH-AWD. Its certainly not an option you could add at a later point if you ever wished you had it (without trading in your FWD for one), and whats it maybe an extra 30 - 35 a month in payment? Once I had it in my TLX I was hooked, and I will probably never buy another Acura without it.
Yeah it's not uncommon for more northern dealers to only stock AWD models. I also agree it's amazing because SH-AWD is not only a bad weather system but an all weather system!
Old 12-19-2018, 05:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Twinbrings
My wife and I got the FWD version A-Spec and to be quite honest it handles fairly well, so we don't regret not getting the SH-AWD.. This is my wife's daily and our weekend family hauler with 1200+ miles on the vehicle so far we are pleased. We also own a Audi S4 which has Quattro and we are fairly impressed with FWD A-Spec driving dynamics(way better than our 2016 RDX).
My wife is not a car person so she wouldn’t miss or even notice the advantages of the SH-AWD. For daily commuting, I think FWD fits the bill 90% of the time. Thanks for your input
Old 12-19-2018, 05:07 AM
Instructor

i hear you but $2000 is a lot of money to spend on something that she may not even appreciate or notice. As a car guy, I see the benefits but hard to convince the wife though.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:15 AM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by tsxowner1

i hear you but $2000 is a lot of money to spend on something that she may not even appreciate or notice. As a car guy, I see the benefits but hard to convince the wife though.

Dear wife : "It will really help resale value"

IDK what else to say...

Work your wife, if she's not on board work the dealer, if they're not on board, tell them to tell her that no FWD models are available in the trim/color you want...

I'm just pulling your third leg, do what applicable for you!!!

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 12-19-2018 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Dick
Old 12-19-2018, 06:42 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
We are considering the RDX to be our next vehicle... The one thing that my wife and I can’t really agree with is whether to get the FWD or SH-AWD. She wants the FWD, she doesn’t think the $2000 SH-AWD premium is worth it.

I'm in a similar boat. I plan on getting an RDX or the upcoming Honda Passport (not sure which yet). In either case I want SH-AWD because of all the good things I've read about it. BUT we live in Florida where there is (A) no snow, (B) no hills, (C) no major curves [the streets are in one big grid, mostly perfectly straight lines], and (D) we mostly just ride around town on local streets. Therefore, my wife thinks it's a total waste of $2000 since we have no need what-so-ever for AWD. Is she right?
Old 12-19-2018, 06:54 AM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
I did not want AWD because I have no need for it and have not regretted my decision. Snow and ice are rare events and if there is frozen precip I just stay home. I also did not want the weight penalty. This area is mostly flat with the occasional curve on overpasses. If I want a spirited driving experience I will take the 'Vette.
The following 2 users liked this post by MarineOne:
losiglow (02-22-2019), securityguy (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 06:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Funny how that some people think that just because you have snow that you have to have AWD. There are tons of folks with very capable FWD vehicles that get around just fine. I opted against AWD and have about 4K on my FWD Advance. Wife loves it and, being in FL, the value of $2000 ($1800 factory invoice) wasn't going to make our driving experience any more "fun" or pleasurable IMPO.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:58 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by securityguy
Funny how that some people think that just because you have snow that you have to have AWD. There are tons of folks with very capable FWD vehicles that get around just fine. I opted against AWD and have about 4K on my FWD Advance. Wife loves it and, being in FL, the value of $2000 ($1800 factory invoice) wasn't going to make our driving experience any more "fun" or pleasurable IMPO.
very true..grew up in Northern Canada, usually just had rear wheel drive vehicles..eventually front wheel and did just fine....so is AWD really required...no.....and a few of the online reviewers (if u believe what they say) say most don't really use the SH-AWD capabilities......saying that, it is a safety feature that could possibly save you from an accident....then again it could just burn $2000 in ur pocket.....keeping in mind when u sell it/trade it in, you should rercoup some of that $$$$$ I would be the majority of people want the SH-AWD....I could be wrong as I know my inlaws in Tampa would never buy an AWD drive vehicle.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sounds
I'm in a similar boat. I plan on getting an RDX or the upcoming Honda Passport (not sure which yet). In either case I want SH-AWD because of all the good things I've read about it. BUT we live in Florida where there is (A) no snow, (B) no hills, (C) no major curves [the streets are in one big grid, mostly perfectly straight lines], and (D) we mostly just ride around town on local streets. Therefore, my wife thinks it's a total waste of $2000 since we have no need what-so-ever for AWD. Is she right?
We may consider the Passport as well but it maybe a bit too big (almost the same size as our 05 Pilot). Having so many choices is a nice “problem” to have!
Old 12-19-2018, 07:21 AM
Racer

We may consider the Passport as well but it maybe a bit too big (almost the same size as our 05 Pilot).
Same boat again. We've got a 2006 Pilot and I've also been looking at the sizes. 2006 Pilot = 188". 2019 Passport = 190.5". 2019 RDX = 186.7". 2019 Pilot = 196.5".
Old 12-19-2018, 07:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Sounds
AWD/4WD has advantages in other scenarios as well: Rain and cross winds are two of them.

Rain: Having power available to all 4 wheels is an advantage whenever traction is compromised.

Wind: My first 4WD vehicle was a '95 Jeep GC with 'on-demand' 4WD, meaning I could shift from 2WD to 4WD on the fly. I normally drove 2WD unless conditions warranted otherwise. On one occasion I was on the highway with serious cross winds and, on a whim, switched to 4WD and could not believe the difference it made in keeping the vehicle stable. While I was being pushed around like a toy car in 2WD once I switched to 4WD it was night and day - almost like I was glued to the road. This was the only vehicle I've owned where I could switch on demand so I've not been able to do the same comparisons since then but based on that experience I'm convinced and will never have another 2WD/FWD again if at all possible.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:37 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Rain: Having power available to all 4 wheels is an advantage whenever traction is compromised.
That's the only thing we DO have in Florida. Rain. When it rains, it pours -- big time. Then the rain goes away, the sun comes out, and it's hot as hell again. But other than rain, I'm not sure the AWD will help. We don't even have any "fun" roads to drive on, unfortunately. Maybe my wife is right... we probably don't really need SH-AWD.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:57 AM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts
I was also weighing spending the +$2k for the SH-AWD and opted for FWD instead. 2 factors mainly: cost and SoCal... It rains here about twice per year so for safety its not too necessary IMO...

However, after driving the car for a couple months, at times I wish I woudl have opted for the SH-AWD. Mainly when trying to accelerate from a stop while making a turn (i.e. left out of residential onto busy street) as that is the only time I have really spun the tires A LOT... but for the most part I'm fine with the FWD. I've driven Hondas and Acuras my entire life and they have all been FWD so its normal to me
Old 12-19-2018, 12:14 PM
SWF
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWD for me. My TL and TLX were FWD. My MDX was SH-AWD. And I lived in a an area that snowed heavily. However, all the cars with FWD handled fine and never got stuck. The MDX with its SH-AWD handled great. SH recommended in the snow belt.

However, SH adds weight and expense to the vehicle. Unless you need to have that little SH-AWD badge on the back and you're a lead foot a-hole trying to impress your little girly friends, FWD handles and drives just fine.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:17 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by SWF
FWD for me. My TL and TLX were FWD. My MDX was SH-AWD. And I lived in a an area that snowed heavily. However, all the cars with FWD handled fine and never got stuck. The MDX with its SH-AWD handled great. SH recommended in the snow belt.

However, SH adds weight and expense to the vehicle. Unless you need to have that little SH-AWD badge on the back and you're a lead foot a-hole trying to impress your little girly friends, FWD handles and drives just fine.
Buy the badge on Ebay...BOOM ur now SH-AWD,lol
The following 2 users liked this post by flames9:
securityguy (12-19-2018), SWF (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 12:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SWF
Unless you need to have that little SH-AWD badge on the back and you're a lead foot a-hole trying to impress your little girly friends...

The following users liked this post:
SWF (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 12:54 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
In my mostly-flat part of Northeast Texas, it rarely snows. On the very rare occasion it does, it's usually 3-4 inches. The most I recall in my decades was about 6-8 inches. When it does snow, it's usually gone in a day or two. I've never had a problem getting around in any FWD model with an open differential and all-season tires.

My first AWD vehicle was a 2007 Ridgeline. AWD came standard back then, but I quickly realized the handling benefits during spirited driving and the complete lack of wheelspin in rainy weather.

I "settled" for a FWD RDX primarily because AWD versions were hard to find down here and the extra 1 MPG was a bonus. It wasn't a financial decision for me. Anyone who can afford a $46K vehicle should be able to afford a $48K vehicle and when it comes time to sell or trade, it'll be easier to sell the AWD version.

It didn't take me long to regret not buying an AWD RDX. The torque steer and embarrassing tire squeal with even moderate acceleration through a corner on dry pavement along with the copious amounts of wheel spin and frightening wheel hop on rain-slick roads isn't worth the $2,000 savings.

The AHA (Agile Handling Assist) feature that helps steer the vehicle by using the brakes is also enhanced on the AWD models where it uses both front and rear inside brakes instead of just the front inside brake to help the vehicle turn. This helps the vehicle turn more sharply during a collision avoidance maneuver, for example.

Another advantage is that the AWD models (except the A-Spec) come with a spare tire - that's worth hundreds of dollars just by itself. The AWD models also have a slightly better weight distribution which also helps handling. Lastly, you get that neat display in the gauge cluster that shows you how much power is begin sent to each wheel.

The handling, traction, safety, and convenience advantages of the AWD model are well worth the extra $2,000 in my opinion. I just regret not following my own advice.
The following 2 users liked this post by zroger73:
Ludepower (09-22-2019), Outfitter (02-22-2019)
Old 12-19-2018, 12:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by zroger73
Another advantage is that the AWD models (except the A-Spec) come with a spare tire
Oh wow.. This is a GREAT point that I had forgotten about. (I personally would prefer having a spare tire)

zroger73 (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 01:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I'll answer is a slightly different way. I live in CT and the past few years have been snowy for sure so AWD was a must. I had (2) MDX's first with SH-AWD and had (2) Second Generation RDX AWD cars. (2013 and 2016) That's just info for background....

My current RDX 2019 Tech Package is a blast to drive and as others have said in November I drove home after that stupid and unexpected snowstorm that shut down NYC and passed hundreds of cars AND crossovers all pulled off the road and many others spinning their tires. I passed a number of RDX's which did not have the AWD Designation on the lift gate so assume they were front wheel drive models and they were not fairing well.

Any concerns I have had with my 2018 have been related to the Infotainment system and I have no had the more severe issues many seem to have had. i will say the dry weather performance and the feeling of road control compared to the AWD prior models I had is NO comparison. I feel like I am so much more attached to the road when on back roads and having a little fun. Another issue I did not care for with FWD models which a few of my friends have (2015 and a 2016 FWD) both spin the front tires when it rains after a dry period and the roads are a little oily. My AWD models and my SH-AWD never suffer from that.

Having said all of that, if I lived in the desert Southwest and only did easy local driving and non aggressive highways I might consider a FWD model as the fuel economy is noticeably better. But that would be it for me. You can't add it after purchase obviously so I would rather have it than wish I had included it later.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:06 PM
Racer

The AHA (Agile Handling Assist) feature that helps steer the vehicle by using the brakes is also enhanced on the AWD models where it uses both front and rear inside brakes instead of just the front inside brake to help the vehicle turn. This helps the vehicle turn more sharply during a collision avoidance maneuver...
I think I just had an AHA moment.

zroger73 (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 02:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
The wife and I test drove the FWD RDX and after my wife came around a corner under moderate acceleration, the car moved from side to side. I said, did you make the car do that, to which she replied, no. After that, she insisted on AWD. The torque steer is very bad IMO under load. No issues with the SH-AWD. We did get the A-spec, and now she regrets not having 3D cameras. Wish there was an upgrade to do this.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:57 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
If I were to get an FWD car, it would be a sedan. The SH-AWD is worth the 2K if only for the dry road handling. Slick conditions, rain or snow, are just a bonus for me.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:30 PM
Null and proud of it

Well, Gatr said he didn't need the SH-AWD in his wife's MDX . . .
Old 12-19-2018, 06:19 PM
SWF
Cruisin'

In my mostly-flat part of Northeast Texas, it rarely snows. On the very rare occasion it does, it's usually 3-4 inches. The most I recall in my decades was about 6-8 inches. When it does snow, it's usually gone in a day or two. I've never had a problem getting around in any FWD model with an open differential and all-season tires.

My first AWD vehicle was a 2007 Ridgeline. AWD came standard back then, but I quickly realized the handling benefits during spirited driving and the complete lack of wheelspin in rainy weather.

I "settled" for a FWD RDX primarily because AWD versions were hard to find down here and the extra 1 MPG was a bonus. It wasn't a financial decision for me. Anyone who can afford a $46K vehicle should be able to afford a $48K vehicle and when it comes time to sell or trade, it'll be easier to sell the AWD version.

It didn't take me long to regret not buying an AWD RDX. The torque steer and embarrassing tire squeal with even moderate acceleration through a corner on dry pavement along with the copious amounts of wheel spin and frightening wheel hop on rain-slick roads isn't worth the $2,000 savings.

The AHA (Agile Handling Assist) feature that helps steer the vehicle by using the brakes is also enhanced on the AWD models where it uses both front and rear inside brakes instead of just the front inside brake to help the vehicle turn. This helps the vehicle turn more sharply during a collision avoidance maneuver, for example.

Another advantage is that the AWD models (except the A-Spec) come with a spare tire - that's worth hundreds of dollars just by itself. The AWD models also have a slightly better weight distribution which also helps handling. Lastly, you get that neat display in the gauge cluster that shows you how much power is begin sent to each wheel.

The handling, traction, safety, and convenience advantages of the AWD model are well worth the extra $2,000 in my opinion. I just regret not following my own advice.
There are 112 RDX's on 3 dealership lots within a 90 + mile radius to my location. Out of those 112, three are AWD. 2 A-Specs $46495 and one Advanced $48795. Not only is it damn near impossible to find one here with just AWD, these models are priced 8-10K more. So for me, it's a no brainer. It's not 2k more, but 8-10K more. Not only that, but based on my experience with FWD, you gotta lay your foot down on the pedal just a little more than firm to get into the spin em torque steer issue. Problem is you let the RDX drive you instead of you driving it.

Regarding the spare tire. My last 3 vehicles did not have one. Doesn't bother me one bit. Road side assistance is my friend. Matter of fact I had a flat last year on Alligator alley. No spare. If you don't know Alligator Alley, look it up. Called RSA and waited. No way was I going out to change a flat tire with things groaning in the background.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:22 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I test drove both fwd and awd. But experienced wheel spin on the fwd while taking a turn from stop on a dry road. It was an easy decision for me. I own an awd tech rdx now.
zroger73 (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 08:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JustAnotherOne
I test drove both fwd and awd. But experienced wheel spin on the fwd while taking a turn from stop on a dry road. It was an easy decision for me. I own an awd tech rdx now.
I guess you don't know how to drive a FWD either (referring to the previous comment aimed at me), LOL!!
Love the know it alls that know nothing, but assume a lot.
I also will add that when "I" test drove the FWD RDX, I was burning rubber exiting the turns without trying, and believe it or not, I know how to drive, just not super slow. Could have been the tires, or the FWD, or both. I do however drive a Vette, with 440hp, but still, it was not a good experience with the FWD and a show stopper for my wife (the car was for her). I test drove almost every other SUV with FWD and AWD, and the RDX was the worst with wheel spin exiting a turn, but the Lincoln MKC was the worst with regards to torque steer. The RDX is Way better in SH-AWD, and if you drive even a little spirited, you will appreciate it.
zroger73 (12-19-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 12:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Oh boy....this thread is on the verge of turning into an AWD vs snow tire debate and I am beyond that tired strawman argument. Don't even try and tell me that a FWD or RWD car with snow tires is better than an AWD one with snow tires. It's not. Period. People who don't care for AWD seem to always jump to this false conclusion that when someone says AWD is better for snow they are somehow saying not to use snow tires. Our roads here are for the most part plowed but there are sometimes a few days where the roads are abysmal with a foot of snow. In those few days, it is worth it to me to have AWD and it doesn't rain much but I appreciate the boost with handling in that weather as well.

But this isn't even about that. SH-AWD is amazing because it is not just a foul weather AWD system, it's also like a safety system helping you swerve around things and a fun driving system. If you truly don't drive that way (and to the person actually asking the question, I am pretty sure your wife doesn't) and you live in a relatively flat place that lacks curves then by all means go with FWD and be done with it.

I just wanted to emphasize that SH-AWD is not a one trick pony AWD system and actually has numerous real world applications. Everyone should do what makes them feel best.
The following 3 users liked this post by RDX10:
losiglow (02-22-2019), Ludepower (09-22-2019), WoodyB (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 01:12 AM
Null and proud of it

Oh boy....this thread is on the verge of turning into an AWD vs snow tire debate and I am beyond that tired strawman argument. Don't even try and tell me that a FWD or RWD car with snow tires is better than an AWD one with snow tires. It's not. Period. People who don't care for AWD seem to always jump to this false conclusion that when someone says AWD is better for snow they are somehow saying not to use snow tires. Our roads here are for the most part plowed but there are sometimes a few days where the roads are abysmal with a foot of snow. In those few days, it is worth it to me to have AWD and it doesn't rain much but I appreciate the boost with handling in that weather as well.

But this isn't even about that. SH-AWD is amazing because it is not just a foul weather AWD system, it's also like a safety system helping you swerve around things and a fun driving system. If you truly don't drive that way (and to the person actually asking the question, I am pretty sure your wife doesn't) and you live in a relatively flat place that lacks curves then by all means go with FWD and be done with it.

I just wanted to emphasize that SH-AWD is not a one trick pony AWD system and actually has numerous real world applications. Everyone should do what makes them feel best.

Couldn't have said it better myself...
Old 12-20-2018, 07:47 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
People need to understand that SH-AWD isn't something you will only use in bad weather. It enhances the car's handling and performance on the day to day commute.
The following 2 users liked this post by gokhanturk:
Ludepower (09-22-2019), zroger73 (02-12-2019)
Old 12-20-2018, 08:06 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by flames9
Buy the badge on Ebay...BOOM ur now SH-AWD,lol
Haha...That's what i did with ADT signs...boom...I have ADT!
flames9 (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 09:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gokhanturk
People need to understand that SH-AWD isn't something you will only use in bad weather. It enhances the car's handling and performance on the day to day commute.
The RDX will be my wife’s DD and being a non-car gal, I don’t think she will notice or appreciate it. I’ll do more convincing closer to when we buy so hopefully she changes her mind. She likes the RDX, but would rather not spend the 2k unnecessarily.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:52 PM
4th Gear

I have to agree with others on this thread. We purchased a SH-AWD advanced after test driving both drive trains. Handling is greatly improved with the AWD system and greatly minimizes torque steer/wheel spin. We live in Texas too and with all the rain we are getting recently AWD has been helpful. My wife and I drive "spiritedly" so we both prefer the grip and control of a good AWD system. She drives a Q7 quattro and really enjoys taking the RDX out on occasion. I ended up picking up an RDX over a Q5.....honestly the Q5 was kinda boring to drive and reminded me too much of the Q7. I wanted something different and I feel like I got that with the RDX. Now the SQ5 is a different beast all together but at $15k more it wasn't worth it to me. Especially since I am karting around a 5 month old on now. Feel like I could snap a kids neck in the back seat with the SQ5.....good for drivers but bad for passengers.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:03 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Depends on the kid......

Quick Reply: FWD RDX - any regrets not getting SH-AWD?