Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > AcuraZine RDX Community > Third Generation RDX (2019+)
Reload this Page >

Front seats are loose/saggy in the perforated area

Notices

Front seats are loose/saggy in the perforated area

 
Old 12-20-2018, 11:45 AM
  #1  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front seats are loose/saggy in the perforated area

Hi All.

First of all, I wanted to thank all the members of this forum for all the great posts. I spent a lot of time here learning about the 2019 RDX before pulling the trigger on it (Tech in Gunmetal). I have had it for almost 2 weeks, and have been very happy with the purchase.

I wasn't paying much attention to the perforated area of both the front seats before purchasing the vehicle, but when I got home, I noticed that the perforated area was loose/saggy. I am not seeing the same thing in the back seats.

I exchanged emails with the service department of the dealership that I had purchased the vehicle from, and they told me that this was normal. They also reached out to the Acura rep, and were told the same. I went back to the dealership to check the other RDXs on the lot, and found the same thing with them.

This does not look normal to me. It reminds me of how my 2004 Honda Pilot's leather seats looked after a few years of use. Are you guys seeing the same thing?

Thanks!

karafu is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 12:33 PM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Age: 47
Posts: 143
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I think that's the leather stretching, maybe it's a better quality of leather than in a 2004 Honda Pilot? Sagging would be more if the foam or the material underneath the leather giving way. You won't see the same in the rear seats because there will someone in the driver seat more often than in the rear seat. Mine look like that too.
bluntman72 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
kboo74656 (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 02:07 PM
  #3  
2019 Ridgeline RTL-E
 
zroger73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 390
Received 146 Likes on 90 Posts
I see some "stretching" after getting out of the seats or if a knee or elbow makes an "impression", but it "contracts" back. However, I don't see as much sagging, wrinkling, or creasing even after several years of sitting in leather seats as I do in your photos. I weigh 150 lbs. - maybe that's a factor.
zroger73 is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 02:12 PM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 89
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I see the same with my Aspec drivers seat.
Midwestuser1 is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 03:37 PM
  #5  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Minnesota
Age: 27
Posts: 525
Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts
Unfortunately real leather streatches but after a few hours I would think they would tighten up a bit
Dereileak is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 03:59 PM
  #6  
Registered Member
 
MI-RDX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 992
Received 240 Likes on 169 Posts
FWIW here's mine. 4400 miles (purchased in August), I'm 'north' of 200 pounds, it was last driven about 3 hours ago.


MI-RDX is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 04:29 PM
  #7  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine does not contract back. And it has been like this since I bought the car (noticed it at `45 miles when I got home). And I am south of 150 pounds.
karafu is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 04:31 PM
  #8  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Minnesota
Age: 27
Posts: 525
Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by karafu View Post
Mine does not contract back. And it has been like this since I bought the car (noticed it at `45 miles when I got home). And I am south of 150 pounds.
is it winter where you are? Does the car sit in the cold? Garaged in a heated garage? Which package do you have, tech right?
Dereileak is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 05:45 PM
  #9  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in Austin, TX, so the winters are mild here - highs in the 60s and lows in 40/50s. Not in a heated garage. Tech, correct.
karafu is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 07:24 PM
  #10  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Roseville, CA
Age: 48
Posts: 261
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
This is what my Tech's driver seat looks like after 1800 miles/2.5 months. I weigh 800 lb (I am the 800 lb gorilla that everyone talks about). OK just kidding, I weigh 170 lb.

The Advance pics above looks like it is of better quality.

Maybe we can make this the "show me the condition of your drivers seat" thread.
​​​​​​​

Last edited by anoop; 12-20-2018 at 07:28 PM.
anoop is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 09:44 PM
  #11  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 108
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by anoop View Post
This is what my Tech's driver seat looks like after 1800 miles/2.5 months. I weigh 800 lb (I am the 800 lb gorilla that everyone talks about). OK just kidding, I weigh 170 lb.

The Advance pics above looks like it is of better quality.

Maybe we can make this the "show me the condition of your drivers seat" thread.

​​​​​​​I have tech pkg and mine look exactly the same after 1800 miles. They were actually like that after 100 miles. Asked the dealer and got the same answer that its normal.
JustAnotherOne is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 12:35 AM
  #12  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Age: 38
Posts: 371
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Our Advance looks just like yours, OP, and these others that have a wrinkle or two. It seems par for the course. That tan one above seems to have scored a birdie.
Master47 is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 08:08 AM
  #13  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Age: 40
Posts: 183
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I noticed the red seats in a floor model A-spec were a little wrinkled More than I would expect in a brand new vehicle.
ross7777 is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 08:36 AM
  #14  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 89
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I think what is causing this is the softer cushions they used in the RDX to provide the “comfortable seat feel”. When the seat cushion has more give the leather can stretch more versus a harder seat bottom that doesn’t offer much give. Just a theory on why we are seeing this fairly consistently.
Midwestuser1 is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 09:02 AM
  #15  
2019 Ridgeline RTL-E
 
zroger73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 390
Received 146 Likes on 90 Posts
Hondas used to come with "gathered" leather seats like in this new 2007 Accord. I remember the seats in my 2007 Accord looked a decade old the day I bought it. I actually prefer that look over the taut look.


zroger73 is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 11:00 AM
  #16  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 145
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
I think a little ripple in the leather is not a big deal. A big ripple that tends to fold over on itself and potentially crack would be a problem but I don't sense that coming from these pictures. Let's see these same pictures in three years and see what they look like.
gtssenior is offline  
Old 12-26-2018, 01:20 PM
  #17  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sacramento, CA
Age: 35
Posts: 58
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ross7777 View Post
I noticed the red seats in a floor model A-spec were a little wrinkled More than I would expect in a brand new vehicle.
yea I noticed that too. It seemed weird but I figured it was normal for this vehicle.
jesser916 is offline  
Old 06-08-2019, 11:46 PM
  #18  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Age: 60
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2019 RDX with 1300 miles look like that too..Dealer told that is normal. I told them my 2009 RDX and 2016 ILX do not have that sagging issue and they told me give it another month to see if the leather reset itself or else they will change out the leathers not the seats. :-(
nghiaho58 is offline  
Old 06-08-2019, 11:48 PM
  #19  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast (But not for much longer)
Age: 22
Posts: 5,336
Received 312 Likes on 279 Posts
Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post
Hondas used to come with "gathered" leather seats like in this new 2007 Accord. I remember the seats in my 2007 Accord looked a decade old the day I bought it. I actually prefer that look over the taut look.


Right on!


I LOVE gathered, non perforated leather...


I plan to buy an 07 Accord soon, this being on of the many reasons!
Midnight Mystery is offline  
Old 06-09-2019, 09:10 AM
  #20  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Age: 99
Posts: 105
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
My seats look like the OP's and always have. I think it's normal and the guy with the perfect beige seats got very lucky. To me, it's honestly not a big deal and I'm pretty stunned that the dealer for the guy above said he would replace the leather. That dealer must be desperate for business, even if he doesn't actually replace it and just has the service department "pull it taut" or whatever.
DriverOne is offline  
Old 06-09-2019, 10:26 AM
  #21  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Age: 60
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by karafu View Post
Hi All.

First of all, I wanted to thank all the members of this forum for all the great posts. I spent a lot of time here learning about the 2019 RDX before pulling the trigger on it (Tech in Gunmetal). I have had it for almost 2 weeks, and have been very happy with the purchase.

I wasn't paying much attention to the perforated area of both the front seats before purchasing the vehicle, but when I got home, I noticed that the perforated area was loose/saggy. I am not seeing the same thing in the back seats.

I exchanged emails with the service department of the dealership that I had purchased the vehicle from, and they told me that this was normal. They also reached out to the Acura rep, and were told the same. I went back to the dealership to check the other RDXs on the lot, and found the same thing with them.

This does not look normal to me. It reminds me of how my 2004 Honda Pilot's leather seats looked after a few years of use. Are you guys seeing the same thing?

Thanks!

Hi there.
How is your seat leather now? Does it still sagging?

Thanks.
nghiaho58 is offline  
Old 06-09-2019, 09:25 PM
  #22  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: TX
Posts: 82
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting to see this post. I actually noticed similar issue with A-Spec seats, Only 1k miles into it and i see alcantara area looks to show wear.

I thought only driver's seat initially, but rear seat is more noticeable (see pic, little hard to show in picture but you can see the waves). I usually don't have passenger sitting in rear, which is why it's a bit surprising and to certain extent disappointing.
I would say driver and passengers are below average in terms of weight.

I guess I need to start preventive cares early. Anyone have recommendation on alcantara care products? Scotchgard?

TSXChef is offline  
Old 06-09-2019, 09:54 PM
  #23  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Age: 99
Posts: 105
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Just so this doesn't become a big gripe-fest about the seats where everyone claims that they're angry and disappointed at this "defect," I think that it actually is normal for them to have some "waves." I'm not trying to be a fan boy, like if the steering wheel came off saying "wow, look at this innovative anti-theft feature!" I just think they weren't shooting for the extremely taut and basically flat look. The reason I think it's purposeful is because, for example, the side bolsters on the front seat are always tautly upholstered. It's always just the middle part of the seats that are ripply. I'm pretty sure they could figure out how to make them taut if that was their goal. People may not like the way they look, but it's really not a big deal. Your bottom is on top of them for about 99% of the time, so I'm not sure what difference it makes.
DriverOne is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Alias1431 (06-10-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 10:11 PM
  #24  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast (But not for much longer)
Age: 22
Posts: 5,336
Received 312 Likes on 279 Posts
Originally Posted by DriverOne View Post
I'm not trying to be a fan boy, like if the steering wheel came off saying "wow, look at this innovative anti-theft feature!"

lmafo...
Midnight Mystery is offline  
Old 06-09-2019, 10:53 PM
  #25  
2019 Ridgeline RTL-E
 
zroger73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 390
Received 146 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXChef View Post
Anyone have recommendation on alcantara care products?
Don't get it dirty and vacuum it often. Alcantara is man-made polyester and polyurethane.
zroger73 is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 08:02 AM
  #26  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: TX
Posts: 82
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post
Don't get it dirty and vacuum it often. Alcantara is man-made polyester and polyurethane.
Thanks for the tip. Never had alcantara car seat before. Is it advised to use scotchgard or some type of protectant? Chemical guys offer Fabric Guard:
TSXChef is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 08:24 AM
  #27  
2019 Ridgeline RTL-E
 
zroger73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 390
Received 146 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXChef View Post
Thanks for the tip. Never had alcantara car seat before. Is it advised to use scotchgard or some type of protectant? Chemical guys offer Fabric Guard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dii3ni77QGc
It won't hurt, but the most effective thing you can do is to simply keep the material clean and try to avoid soiling it in the first place. Time, friction, and weight will take their toll whether you spend tens or hundreds of dollars on fabric protection or not.
zroger73 is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 07:00 AM
  #28  
Registered Member
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 5,454
Received 1,015 Likes on 668 Posts
What??? Leather stretches? WTH??
Stew4HD is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 03:20 PM
  #29  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: TX
Posts: 82
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post
It won't hurt, but the most effective thing you can do is to simply keep the material clean and try to avoid soiling it in the first place. Time, friction, and weight will take their toll whether you spend tens or hundreds of dollars on fabric protection or not.
Thanks for the advice. For now I'm not going to take any actions and possibly make things worse. Thanks again!
TSXChef is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
everto13
3G TL Problems & Fixes
12
08-09-2012 10:29 PM
Ralphie917
Second Generation CL Discussion (2000-2003)
3
09-02-2008 03:26 PM
kwjustin89
1G TSX Tires, Wheels, & Suspension
10
07-22-2005 09:02 AM
NOLACLS
Second Generation CL Discussion (2000-2003)
8
12-19-2001 06:06 PM
tmk70
Second Generation CL Discussion (2000-2003)
8
07-31-2001 03:59 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front seats are loose/saggy in the perforated area


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.