Fidelity Warranty vs Acura Care?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 06:53 PM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fidelity Warranty vs Acura Care?

We took delivery of our black RDX today. It's beautiful.

Dealer's finance guy wanted to sell us a fidelity extended warranty contract, $2,759 covers 10 years 100,000 miles. Googled online, but most people have had bad experience dealing with Fidelity Warranty.

I heard people say manufacture backed warranty plan like Acura Care is much better, but this is our first Acura and I've no idea what it is. Tried to call dealer for Acura Care information, but didn't get through. However, I do see online offer of Acura Care by dealers like Curry Acura. I've seen good reviews from this forum about Curry Acura. Is it a good idea to buy it online?

Anybody bought extended warranty service? What is your opinion?
Old 08-25-2018, 07:02 PM
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Wang
We took delivery of our black RDX today. It's beautiful.

Dealer's finance guy wanted to sell us a fidelity extended warranty contract, $2,759 covers 10 years 100,000 miles. Googled online, but most people have had bad experience dealing with Fidelity Warranty.

I heard people say manufacture backed warranty plan like Acura Care is much better, but this is our first Acura and I've no idea what it is. Tried to call dealer for Acura Care information, but didn't get through. However, I do see online offer of Acura Care by dealers like Curry Acura. I've seen good reviews from this forum about Curry Acura. Is it a good idea to buy it online?

Anybody bought extended warranty service? What is your opinion?
My recommendation is to only by Acura Care. I’ve purchased it before.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:33 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Acura and Curry. Just called them and but it over the phone. For the RDX just go with Acura as it will cover more than fidelity and easier to deal on their vehicle.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
As reliable as Acura's are I still wonder why? Take the money go invest it in a high yield investment and see if you even deplete it for thing that would be covered by the warranty. It is important to read the exclusions. I bought on on my A6 and cancelled it right away once I read the exclusions. Does Acura cover the LED headlights? My guess is no as they will be excluded under lighting and bulbs. I know so many people that drive their Acura's for 10 years and upwards of 200K miles and rock solid, typical oil, fluids, suspension wear items.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
The best warranty is "no warranty", all the statistical odds say its not worth it. Acura/Honda are pretty reliable.
But if you must buy warranty, it should only be Acura warranty, otherwise its a total waste of money. I am surprised certified Acura dealer would even offer non Acura warranty. Something is shady going on.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Wang
...Dealer's finance guy wanted to sell us a fidelity extended warranty contract, $2,759 covers 10 years 100,000 miles....What is your opinion?
My dealer is pushing a CNA 10 year/150,000 mile/0 deductible for $2804 - also not interested because of bad reviews for CNA and the contract itself is ambiguous and in some cases contradicts itself so you know there will be a fight brewing should a claim come up. Haven't yet asked him if he offers a Acura/Honda extended warranty which covers everything not specifically excluded.

Originally Posted by russianDude
...I am surprised certified Acura dealer would even offer non Acura warranty. Something is shady going on.
Most likely just a matter of the dealer makes more money on a third party version. That or some third party offer longer terms and the dealer feels it may be more attractive to the customer.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:23 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I opt for the mechanical break down insurance from GEICO for $30 a year. It covers up to 100k miles. I figure it's cheap enough to invest in it even if it doesn't work as advertised.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts

Hyannis Honda / Acura has the best prices that I could find but do your research. GEICO is a good program but has a $250 deductible. After 3-4 services, you may be better off with the genuine Acura care plan.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:45 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by securityguy

Hyannis Honda / Acura has the best prices that I could find but do your research. GEICO is a good program but has a $250 deductible. After 3-4 services, you may be better off with the genuine Acura care plan.
This table explains exactly why I did not get an extended warranty. When they were trying to sell me on the benefit of the warranty, I recall being told that the average repair is $1500, which was close to the cost of the 7 yr/100k mile warranty that I was quoted, and the same as on this table. So I figured if I only have 1 repair, I'm even. If you then look at the difference between the $0 and $100 deductible plans, that's $95, so they are essentially pricing in 1-$100 deductible in the $0 plan. Since Acura isn't going to loose any money on the insurance, this tells me that, on average, most people only ever make 1 claim.

If you factor in the fact that you are paying now for something you won't use for several years until after the factory warranty expires, and that you may not keep the car as long as you think (tired of it, accident, etc), it just didn't make sense to me to get the extended warranty.