Exterior & interior colors re: getting dirty?

Old 03-20-2019, 10:02 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exterior & interior colors re: getting dirty?

We are going to get the Advanced package. I could care less about colors, but my wife is in a state of bewilderment. Anything gray on the outside is out as she’s has had a gray Santa Fe for 9 years. Her primary concern is the look of the exterior when it gets dirty, and the look of the interior when the soccer playing kids & the dog dirty up the interior.

I didn’t see that this would be a major road block, but you know how marriage goes.

Any help to make my wife the happiest possible would be immensely appreciated.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:26 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
I had one primary color desire...a beige interior. Advance trim. That left me with very few choices in exterior colors. White, red or the brown color, (Canyon Bronze) which is in very short supply. I went with white. Would have preferred red, but there were none around, and wife doesn't like red cars...so white it is.

Our kids are grown and out of the house, and the dog...well, let me just say she never gets in my RDX, we take the older car when we go out with her....

Sorry this doesn't help your wife much.

Last edited by JB in AZ; 03-20-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:16 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Interior wise, any leather is going to look dirty with soccer, kids, and dogs. The only one that doesn't is black leather. But then you still have to contend with scratches.

​​​​​​Graystone interior is a really light shade of gray. It'll show as much dirt as a beige interior, tbh. You'll probably be best served with black leather interior, if you don't mind it looking so dark inside. That's actually why I got a black leather interior too.

For the exterior, if she doesn't want any gray, you can consider black. I don't like the black on A-Spec because I think it's overdoing it with the dark colors, but since the advanced has the chrome trim, I'd suggest black ,it'll pair well together. Black is pretty good at hiding dirt, but dust will affect its luster. Also, black is an extra cost.

My personal favorite color is the White on A-Spec. I have a gray though because city parking + white paint sounds like a nightmare.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by al28
Interior wise, any leather is going to look dirty with soccer, kids, and dogs. The only one that doesn't is black leather. But then you still have to contend with scratches.

​​​​​​Graystone interior is a really light shade of gray. It'll show as much dirt as a beige interior, tbh. You'll probably be best served with black leather interior, if you don't mind it looking so dark inside. That's actually why I got a black leather interior too.

For the exterior, if she doesn't want any gray, you can consider black. I don't like the black on A-Spec because I think it's overdoing it with the dark colors, but since the advanced has the chrome trim, I'd suggest black ,it'll pair well together. Black is pretty good at hiding dirt, but dust will affect its luster. Also, black is an extra cost.

My personal favorite color is the White on A-Spec. I have a gray though because city parking + white paint sounds like a nightmare.
Did you just suggest black to someone worried about their car always looking dirty and claim that is hides dirt well but not dust!? ......just wow.
The following users liked this post:
rdx_to (12-27-2020)
Old 03-21-2019, 02:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RDX10
Did you just suggest black to someone worried about their car always looking dirty and claim that is hides dirt well but not dust!? ......just wow.
I was thinking he'd be more concerned with dirt...like mud, dirty puddles, snow slush, etc. Where I am, black cars hold up quite well - not as good as gray...but that's also out of the picture here.

What other color would you suggest? Red? Silver? White? Blue isn't available on the Advanced as it's A-Spec specific.

I guess if you disagree with me on black, then get brown. Though that's going to be really difficult to find.

IMO Black isn't that bad tbh, if most of the dirt that gets on your car is dark colored. lmao The dust and pollen stand out more than anything else that'll get on it. But I think the black holds up better than white & silver in say, dirty rain water puddles, snow slush, etc.

But then again, I never let my car get really dirty...I just sign up for the local car wash's monthly program, so maybe I'm just being a terrible advice giver.

Last edited by al28; 03-21-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:20 PM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
I've had lots of black cars. In my mind when spit shined there's no classier look for a car. But--be ready to spend gobs of time washing, waxing and detailing if you choose black. So I've gone for the metallic grays lately as a compromise. Gunmetal this time. Dark enough to still look really good but lighter enough to mask somewhat the road splash of NW winters. Just a more forgiving color to maintain. And it only came with the black leather interior I believe (Advanced AWD).
Old 03-21-2019, 03:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RDX10
Originally Posted by romer
I've had lots of black cars. In my mind when spit shined there's no classier look for a car. But--be ready to spend gobs of time washing, waxing and detailing if you choose black. So I've gone for the metallic grays lately as a compromise. Gunmetal this time. Dark enough to still look really good but lighter enough to mask somewhat the road splash of NW winters. Just a more forgiving color to maintain. And it only came with the black leather interior I believe (Advanced AWD).
I also have a Gunmetal/Black Leather RDX , but mine is a tech. I was thinking of white, but I went with the gray for the same reason you did - it's a more forgiving color up here in NY. I also have to contend with city parking some times and trusting people to not hit you while parking their vehicles would drive me insane.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:18 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts
With due respect, Black exterior cars look best when they have just been washed or detailed. They collect and show dust and dirt overnight. White exterior cars even when dusty or dirty will "hide" the dust and dirt best. Black interior cars will also show dust and dirt without even trying. Forget about soccer kids and a dog. Tan or gray are the best choices for car interiors. However, even they will not hold up to soccer kids and a dog. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:32 PM
Advanced

Really? I remember my parents having had a gray leather in their car, and people's bags & children's shoes would scuff/scratch the leather. Idk if this was because leather from when I was a child wasn't...that great of a quality or if it's just a thing that happens.
I'm not that experienced in cars seeing as the RDX is only my 2nd car.

But, I mean I'd rather deal with dust than scuff marks.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:25 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Outside - lighter hides dirt better. Silver is probably best, then a very light gray, then white. While white shows dirt, it doesn't shows swirl marks and tiny scratches in the clear. Darker colors show swirls so the cars look awful unless properly cared for.

Interior - black is best and "easiest" to clean, just because you won't see all the dirt. Technically, all are the same to clean.

The biggest thing on lighter upholstery isn't dirt but stains and dye transfer. Blue jeans, leather belts and leather jackets are the things that make light leather look grimy.

If you don't wear jeans regularly, then you don't need to worry about dye transfer too much. Aside from stains (blood, wine, grape juice, ketchup etc.), mud and dirt can be cleaned up pretty easily.

Just make sure you have a regular cleaning regimen using quality products (LeatherMasters is my favorite) and clean up spills quickly
Old 03-21-2019, 08:37 PM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
I had one black car in my lifetime and swore that would never happen again. Since then it’s been white, silver or gold. Silver has been the best color so far. Interior doesn’t matter to me as I don’t have kids and I’m very neat. Currently I have a black interior and don’t have any issues. If you are worried about the exterior looking dirty, you never buy a dark color.
ceb (03-21-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 01:02 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Black or dark brown interior will show the least crud, scuffs, and gunk ( except for the salt creep, but that's what rubber mats are for ). Black exterior? No, just no. Not unless you live to polish your car. ( Been there, done that ). Dark metallic is better.

Silver with a black interior may be boring, but it's very practical.

White diamond pearl exterior with the brown interior is very classy in the Advance with the real wood interior trim. IMO. And my wife likes it too, so I have to guard the keys.

But yeah, if my dogs go anywhere near it, they are in dog crates in the back. Usually they ride in the back of a well-loved 2005 MDX ( silver with black interior ).

I had a nice red 2003 MDX with the beige interior, but bicycle grease could find that interior from 100km away.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:16 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Just for a point of reference for everyone getting light interiors and have to deal with things like blue jean stains and such.. The mister clean magic eraser works miracles on these things
Old 03-22-2019, 01:22 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Meto
Just for a point of reference for everyone getting light interiors and have to deal with things like blue jean stains and such.. The mister clean magic eraser works miracles on these things
Nooooooooooooooo........ Magic eraser is just like sandpaper. Automotive leathers are coated and the magic eraser will damage that surface.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:03 PM
Nuke

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would only want a black leather interior in my cars. The interior of my 2004 TSX with perforated leather has held up very well and is easily cleaned with a damp rag even with 3 girls kicking their muddy snow boots in the winter. Use leather conditioner maybe 3 or 4x yearly. The only scratch on the leather came when I sat on the passenger seat with a screwdriver in my back pocket while changing the air conditioning filter. Just a scuff, not really a big deal. Silver exterior also always tends to always look clean, especially in the winter and does not tend to show stone chips.
For better cleaning where a damp rag is not sufficient, use a proper leather cleaner, no other chemicals or abrasive items.
If your dogs are on the seats, I highly recommend a seat cover to protect from scratches.

Last edited by nuke; 03-22-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
My TL is my first and only black car. As much as I love it when it's cleaned up, especially with the blue pearl popping, its such a PITA to maintain.
As mentioned before, the car will literally stay clean for maybe a day! I sometimes will give it a full wash, hand dry and then park it immediately. Even over night, in my garage it will develop a thin layer of dust LOL

I am getting another paint correction and then finally getting the car protected with ceramic pro, I'm interested in seeing how that affects the way the car's color collects dust and dirt., should be a massive difference.

So in short, don't buy black unless you have another 1500 to spend protecting it
Old 03-22-2019, 06:02 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MyGuti
My TL is my first and only black car. As much as I love it when it's cleaned up, especially with the blue pearl popping, its such a PITA to maintain.
As mentioned before, the car will literally stay clean for maybe a day! I sometimes will give it a full wash, hand dry and then park it immediately. Even over night, in my garage it will develop a thin layer of dust LOL

I am getting another paint correction and then finally getting the car protected with ceramic pro, I'm interested in seeing how that affects the way the car's color collects dust and dirt., should be a massive difference.

So in short, don't buy black unless you have another 1500 to spend protecting it
If the dealer does a proper paint correction and application, then you'll be amazed. No more daily swirls. While you can't stop dust, you can easily remove it with a California Duster. Washing the car will be a breeze. I hose my TSX off every couple of weeks and it always looks sharp - not black, but dark gray)
Old 03-22-2019, 06:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
I highly doubt your dealer paint correction and application will compare to a pro doing the same job.
Also dark grey vs black does not even come close to comparing swirls and dust etc.

Take a white light to your car next time and you will absolutely see swirls or snake lines
Old 03-22-2019, 07:55 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MyGuti
I highly doubt your dealer paint correction and application will compare to a pro doing the same job.
Also dark grey vs black does not even come close to comparing swirls and dust etc.

Take a white light to your car next time and you will absolutely see swirls or snake lines
I was addressing my comments to you, not the OP and meant to say "detailer" but said dealer.

The dealer, or whomever they farm it out to, is incapable of doing a proper correction or application.

The dark gray shows swirls and dust - not as much as black, but close. After 5 years of having Opti-Coat on my car, it still looks sharp when rinsed off - but maybe my semi-annual application of Blackfire (no prior buffing) helps too.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:40 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by al28

I hope you aren't being serious? Black is what shows the most dirt both inside and outside. Parchment will show the least dirt. A single speck of dust will show on anything black. Takes quite a bit for parchment to show "dirty" aside from a dog with muddy paws. I know from experience because I have had several Honda/Acura vehicles with tan/ivory/parchment interior. Unfortunately I can't add a signature yet to show my vehicle history.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:24 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I have the tan interior. A pack of Meguires wipes in the garage is all I need. Looks a bit dirty? Whip out a wipe, wipe, and its clean.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:44 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by wdmacura
I hope you aren't being serious? Black is what shows the most dirt both inside and outside. Parchment will show the least dirt. A single speck of dust will show on anything black. Takes quite a bit for parchment to show "dirty" aside from a dog with muddy paws. I know from experience because I have had several Honda/Acura vehicles with tan/ivory/parchment interior. Unfortunately I can't add a signature yet to show my vehicle history.
I guess it depends on how you use the vehicle, doesn't it?

If you live on a gravel road with sandstone/limestone based gravel ( been there... ), you may want a tan interior to match the dust. Of course, that won't stop the dust from getting all over your clothes, so stick to khakis. And consider parking a Shop Vac next to the car.

OP commented on "soccer playing kids & the dog". Sounds like mud to me, and who knows what else. And maybe a low interest in daily car cleaning rituals.

IMO dust and mud wipe off. Stains and scuffs, not so much. Black interior doesn't show stains.

But a dark interior will heat up more in the sun, as well as a dark exterior.

Another variable is how long you plan to keep the car. As long as the leather isn't cracked, a black interior will cleanup nicely for a very long time. Grey and tan can get dingy from staining, including from skin oils.
romer (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 12:05 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wander
I guess it depends on how you use the vehicle, doesn't it?

If you live on a gravel road with sandstone/limestone based gravel ( been there... ), you may want a tan interior to match the dust. Of course, that won't stop the dust from getting all over your clothes, so stick to khakis. And consider parking a Shop Vac next to the car.

OP commented on "soccer playing kids & the dog". Sounds like mud to me, and who knows what else. And maybe a low interest in daily car cleaning rituals.

IMO dust and mud wipe off. Stains and scuffs, not so much. Black interior doesn't show stains.

But a dark interior will heat up more in the sun, as well as a dark exterior.

Another variable is how long you plan to keep the car. As long as the leather isn't cracked, a black interior will cleanup nicely for a very long time. Grey and tan can get dingy from staining, including from skin oils.
I'll give you the part that black interior doesn't show "stains" if you are talking about dark stains...there are light stains too. Lighter colors will show oil buildup and blue jean dye, but if you use a proper protectant, they clean right up. There are safe(er) products to remove blue jean dye, but shouldn't be needed if your seats have been property protected out of the gate. Agree with the above...never use a magic eraser...on any part of the car as far as I am concerned.

Regardless a good cleaning/protectant regimen will allow most leather/coated leather to last a long time and clean up easily. I usually do a spring cleaning/protectant, a couple in the summer (shorts and short sleeves means more body oils on surfaces) and one right before winter when the long sleeves and pants come out...good time to remove the last of the summer oils. Typically just a damp wipe with a MF towel and my leather cleaner will remove everything as it should just be sitting on the protectant and not the leather coating itself. Add back another layer of protectant after each cleaning. Same thing for fabrics except use a fabric cleaner and upholstery protectant.

I've detailed quite a few cars. I've seen the ones that are well kept and are easy to detail, and the ones that haven't been touched for 5 years. Black has always been the most difficult to clean up perfectly, both inside and out.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:49 PM
Drifting

I think we're talking about different things.

A) Looking decent without a lot of work, for everyday living with pets, kids, schlepping who-knows-what, and slurping vast quantities of colored caffeinated beverages. And not a complete embarrassment if a guest gets an eyeful.

B) Looking show-room perfect.

There is overlap, but I maintain my stance that a black interior is relatively low maintenance, whereas tan and light grey tend to show more if you get behind on maintenance ( or refuse to deal ). YMMV
The following 2 users liked this post by Wander:
rdx_to (12-27-2020), romer (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 09:52 PM
Advanced

Guess we can agree to disagree. The only thing that looks like crap in my car right now is the floor...because it is black.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:25 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by wdmacura
Guess we can agree to disagree. The only thing that looks like crap in my car right now is the floor...because it is black.
Yeah, same with one of my cars, cuz it goes to the dog park almost every day.

( I really need to hose off those black "all weather" mats... )

Last edited by Wander; 03-28-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wander
Yeah, same with one of my cars, cuz it goes to the dog park almost every day.

( I really need to hose off those black "all weather" mats... )
Same! I was hoping for this weekend but of course the temps are falling. Lots of salt to clean up around the dead pedal this year as well. I'm ready to get the carpeted mats back in.
Old 12-26-2020, 10:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I know your post was quite a while ago but what protectant so you recommend on leather in a vehicle? I am leaning towards getting an RDX Advance Pkg. with blank interior. Thank you in advance for your reply.
Old 12-27-2020, 09:52 AM
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts
Originally Posted by chasator
I know your post was quite a while ago but what protectant so you recommend on leather in a vehicle? I am leaning towards getting an RDX Advance Pkg. with blank interior. Thank you in advance for your reply.
It really doesn't matter that much as leather in cars are coated BUT if you're gonna use something then consider something like Lexol or CarPro PERL. I've used both and currently PERL is my weapon of choice as it goes on everything (tires, plastic, engine, rubber, leather) and works fantastic.
The following 2 users liked this post by supafamous:
chasator (12-27-2020), jmhumr (12-27-2020)