Is Dynamic Sport Mode and Transmission Sport Mode Redundant?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 12:41 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Is Dynamic Sport Mode and Transmission Sport Mode Redundant?

I really do not understand why there is a Sport Mode on the D/S transmission button and also Sport/Sport+ Dynamic Modes. Is there really a good reason to have both? If so, when you want to drive in a spirited manner, what combo do you choose and why?
Old 10-09-2018, 01:02 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
The D/S transmission button only affect the transmission and how it shifts and how it handles sequential mode.

The dynamic drive affects steering assist, AWD mapping, transmission shift point mapping, engine sound levels, throttle responsiveness, and, if you have them, adjustable dampers.
The following users liked this post:
TerryInYEG (09-04-2023)
Old 10-09-2018, 03:49 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
From the press release:
By selecting the "S" position with the transmission D/S selector button, Sequential mode is engaged. This mode offers automatic operation with more aggressive shift mapping and locks out operation of 9th and 10th gears.

From the Owner's Manual:
S Position
- Automatically changing gears between 1st and 8th (8th gear is used only at high speed)
- Driving in the sequential mode

As @Madd Dog stated above, the S position only affects the transmission while Sport+ mode also affects other systems.

Both Sport+ (not Sport!) mode and S position alter the transmission shift map, but only the S position allows for sequential shift mode.

If you want easier steering and a more comfortable ride, but want to shift manually, use Snow, Comfort, or Sport mode and the S position.

If you're in Sport+ mode, shifting to the S position does nothing but allow sequential shift mode (the shift map has already been changed by selecting Sport+ mode).
TerryInYEG (09-04-2023)
Old 10-10-2018, 06:22 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
People always think the D/S S is SPORT. It's SEQUENTIAL and holds the gears longer.
TerryInYEG (09-04-2023)
Old 10-10-2018, 10:03 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by neoshi
People always think the D/S S is SPORT. It's SEQUENTIAL and holds the gears longer.
It's only sequential if you pull a paddle. Otherwise, it's normal automatic with altered shift points ( and locked-out higher gears ). Even Honda/Acura can't decide what to call this drive mode... I have found "Sport" in their system descriptions on Service Express, as well as awkwardness like "sequential available". Does it stand for something in Japanese that we don't know about?

To further confuse the issue, sequential paddle shifting can be temporarily engaged by pulling a paddle while in "D" mode.
zroger73 (10-11-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 10:35 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
It's only sequential if you pull a paddle. Otherwise, it's normal automatic with altered shift points ( and locked-out higher gears ). Even Honda/Acura can't decide what to call this drive mode... I have found "Sport" in their system descriptions on Service Express, as well as awkwardness like "sequential available". Does it stand for something in Japanese that we don't know about?

To further confuse the issue, sequential paddle shifting can be temporarily engaged by pulling a paddle while in "D" mode.
Haha all very good points. Yeah i basically use sequential in automatic mode until i need to do something that requires changing gears. The ids stuff really doesnt make much difference to me other than engine noise levels and steering weight. If you press the accelerator hard enough, you can still gun it the same as sport.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:51 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
My experience has been that S on the shifter for sequential makes the transmission shift...sequentially. As in 1-->2--->3 gear and so on. While regular D mode will skip gears, going from 1-->3--->5 and so on for fuel efficiency.

Whenever I take a certain onramp in D mode, I tap the paddle shifter and drop it from 5th to 4th to 3rd. When I take it in S mode, it doesn't shift past 3rd because I'm not going fast enough for it to need to.
JB in AZ (09-07-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 05:55 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkNinja75
My experience has been that S on the shifter for sequential makes the transmission shift...sequentially. As in 1-->2--->3 gear and so on. While regular D mode will skip gears, going from 1-->3--->5 and so on for fuel efficiency.

Whenever I take a certain onramp in D mode, I tap the paddle shifter and drop it from 5th to 4th to 3rd. When I take it in S mode, it doesn't shift past 3rd because I'm not going fast enough for it to need to.
Thank you! This is a very good explanation.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:09 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
I'm so glad we finally cleared all that up.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkNinja75

I don’t think it skips gears, I have never noticed it doing that
Old 09-08-2019, 06:39 AM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak
I don’t think it skips gears, I have never noticed it doing that
You are correct.

The 10AT doesn't skip any gears when upshifting regardless of drive mode - it upshifts sequentially from 1st to 10th. For best fuel economy, you want to keep the engine in a narrow speed range where it is most efficient. Skipping gears while upshifting would cause the engine to fall outside this speed range which is counter to good fuel economy.

When downshifting, it has the capability of shifting directly from 10th to 6th or 7th to 3rd and can also perform double downshifts from 3rd through 10th.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:41 AM
Drifting

This is an oversimplification.

Under low-load ( low power requirement ) situations, the engine controller and AT controller ( ECU and TCU ) will conspire to keep the engine rpm low, where it is efficient.

However, when high power is required, the ECU and TCU will attempt to keep the engine in its "power band", or rpm range of maximum power output. This is at high rpm.

I have demonstrated to my own satisfaction that in "D" mode, the 10AT will upshift non-sequentially ( more than one gear ). To provoke this, accelerate rapidly to highway speed, then abruptly let off the throttle and watch the tachometer. The rpm will suddenly drop more than is possible from one gear ratio change. To provoke non-sequential downshifts, just floor the throttle when the car is at moderate speed. It will drop several gears before the rpm shoots up and it accelerates.

I am less certain about non-sequential upshifts in "S" mode, and it's tough to test because the AT rips through the shifts pretty briskly in that mode. But I am pretty sure that non-sequential downshifts are possible in "S" mode ( which does NOT mean "sequential mode" ), and I'm pretty sure I have seen them happen. I think Acura avoids using the name "Sport Mode" for a transmission shift mode precisely because of the potential confusion with the "Sport" IDS "dynamic mode". But I have seen "S mode" referred to as "Sport mode" in Acura documentation.

As previously stated, "Sequential Mode" is engaged by pulling a paddle shifter. No paddle, no sequential. But don't take my word for it, take Acura's:

( And just to really confuse the issue, the attached documentation suggests that non-sequential down-shifts can be executed with the paddles in "D-paddle mode". )

Shift modes

Sequential shift modes

Last edited by Wander; 09-09-2019 at 12:52 AM.
NooYawkuh (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 07:20 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
It would be helpful if the current gear were displayed all the time, regardless of driving mode or transmission mode. Why have a display field if you hardly ever use it?
Old 09-09-2019, 08:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
It would be helpful if the current gear were displayed all the time, regardless of driving mode or transmission mode. Why have a display field if you hardly ever use it?
I agree, have it as an option just like the turbo gauges, in sure some people don’t wanna see it but I know I would
Old 09-09-2019, 06:52 PM
Drifting

I agree, have it as an option just like the turbo gauges, in sure some people don’t wanna see it but I know I would
Yeah, optional gear display would be a whole lot more useful than turbo gauge and G-force gauge, IMHO.

Some would say digital speedometer, but I don't mind analog.

And I don't usually have HUD enabled. Guess I'm just old-school.

Last edited by Wander; 09-09-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:01 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Agree! My F-150 displays the gear and I find it helpful. I think the “Accel” gauge is the most unhelpful one on my RDX.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:15 PM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
Hell no I'm gonna be shifting often. I have my fair share of honda transmission problems already.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:52 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ludepower
Hell no I'm gonna be shifting often. I have my fair share of honda transmission problems already.
???? Shifting causes transmission problems?
Old 10-10-2019, 11:38 PM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
Let the automatic shift for you. Just less wear on the tranny if you dont treat the paddle shifters as a racing game.

I had a prelude tiptronic that cost 3k to repair. I'm not confident with honda trannys especially this new 10 speed.
Padre Dave (12-12-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 09:22 PM
Gearhead

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
If you are looking for best acceleration, so far every test run I've done hasn't had a significant variance regardless of what drive mode I've been in or what transmission selection. The only slight exception to that is the snow might be just a hair slower. So far in over 50 timed 0-60 runs my car is fastest when running in comfort mode and the transmission is in 'D'.

As for Honda bragging about being able to down shift 4 gears at a shot, I just had a Kia Sorrento V6 (likely brand new as it only had 600 miles on it) and it would at least drop 4 gears out of its 8 speed gearbox at a shot and possibly even 5 (8th to 3rd) at least as fast as my RDX does 10th to 6th or 8th to 4th. I hate to say it but 90% of the time that transmission shifted better and was more intelligent than the one in my RDX. It also made me wonder how the Kia got 37 mpg on the freeway at 70 mph and my RDX might get 27 driven the same way. How did Hondacura blow the fuel economy so badly on the RDX. I just checked and I am at 21 mpg overall. I was getting that with the Kia in heavy Houston traffic.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:49 AM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by wavshrdr
If you are looking for best acceleration, so far every test run I've done hasn't had a significant variance regardless of what drive mode I've been in or what transmission selection. The only slight exception to that is the snow might be just a hair slower. So far in over 50 timed 0-60 runs my car is fastest when running in comfort mode and the transmission is in 'D'.

As for Honda bragging about being able to down shift 4 gears at a shot, I just had a Kia Sorrento V6 (likely brand new as it only had 600 miles on it) and it would at least drop 4 gears out of its 8 speed gearbox at a shot and possibly even 5 (8th to 3rd) at least as fast as my RDX does 10th to 6th or 8th to 4th. I hate to say it but 90% of the time that transmission shifted better and was more intelligent than the one in my RDX. It also made me wonder how the Kia got 37 mpg on the freeway at 70 mph and my RDX might get 27 driven the same way. How did Hondacura blow the fuel economy so badly on the RDX. I just checked and I am at 21 mpg overall. I was getting that with the Kia in heavy Houston traffic.
Man, you must have had one heck of a tail wind to get 37 mpg out of a vehicle rated for 26 mpg!
Padre Dave (12-12-2019)