Driver's side seat clicking type noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 06:05 AM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Driver's side seat clicking type noise

Just wondering if anybody else has a drivers seat that makes a clicking noise. Its not during power seat movement, but anytime there is a bump, turn, or I shift around in my seat. It sounds like its coming from the seat back, but its hard to pinpoint others then its for sure coming from the seat. I haven't taken it to my dealers service department yet, was just curious if anybody else has the issue and if so, have you had the dealer address it and what was the solution?
Old 07-04-2018, 03:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
I have clicking noise from the corner of the dash panel on passenger side. Are you sure yours is from the seat?

Originally Posted by Silvaccordex01
Just wondering if anybody else has a drivers seat that makes a clicking noise. Its not during power seat movement, but anytime there is a bump, turn, or I shift around in my seat. It sounds like its coming from the seat back, but its hard to pinpoint others then its for sure coming from the seat. I haven't taken it to my dealers service department yet, was just curious if anybody else has the issue and if so, have you had the dealer address it and what was the solution?
Old 07-05-2018, 03:14 AM
Pro

100% sure. Car can be turned off and in my garage, and if I shift around in my seat, simulating bumps or turns, it clicks on left/middle side of seat. I have an appointment Thursday, so once I know what they did to fix it, i can update the thread. The click sound your hearing could be from your HVAC system switching modes.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:21 AM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
yea, please keep me posted. I am the person who has almost zero tolerance on rattle or cabin noise. I admit that I am a little obsessed on finding noise and I am more sensentive on noise than other people do.

i was able to find the spot of my issue. It was not HVAC. It was the upper dash panel vibrates that makes noise when car bumps.

hope your dealer fix your car on Thursday. Hate going back and forth.

good luck

100% sure. Car can be turned off and in my garage, and if I shift around in my seat, simulating bumps or turns, it clicks on left/middle side of seat. I have an appointment Thursday, so once I know what they did to fix it, i can update the thread. The click sound your hearing could be from your HVAC system switching modes.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:44 PM
Pro

I've had it back to the dealership twice now. The first time they removed the back cover and insulated the rear area around the springs or something like that. I picked the car up and still immediately noticed the noise. Took it back, showed my tech (Master Tech, Shop Foreman) and agreed it was still coming from the lower seat cushion area, not the seat back. Took it back on Friday, just picked it up today and still not fixed. This time he removed the drivers side seat control panel trim and "insulated" it. He drove it well over 30 miles or so, and said there was no noise. Soon as I get in it and drive away I notice it again. This time I didn't go back though, I'm either going to just leave it until maybe a TSB comes out on it or try to fix it myself. One reason I didn't take it back is my service advisor is not super customer service friendly. The first time I brought it back she was visually upset about it, and when I asked to talk to the tech and have him listen to the noise again, she mumbled under her breath "I don't have time for this" I took the tech out, he heard it and tried to schedule me for there next working day and she actually got upset with him and said we don't have time until Friday! It was an awkward situation. This service advisor is relatively new, my last advisor was great, super nice and loved cars. I stick with her because the tech I trust is on her team.

So, if anybody else has this issue, or has a fix, please post in this thread. There have been almost 600 views. So either a lot of people have the issue, or a lot are curious about whats going on
Old 07-14-2018, 05:31 PM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
I would take the issue to the service manager and then the general manager if someone isn't meeting your needs or is displaying a bad attitude. Second, they need to fix it or get a new seat. I once had a new 1998 Passat. The passenger seat had a rattle when empty. I took the tech for a ride, he heard it, diagnosed it and said 'we'll just get a new one.' Your seat is the driver seat. Come on. I then had a new 2002 Volvo S60 AWD. The driver's seat back had a spring that shifted when pressure was applied such as starting at a red light. It would shift internally. Very disturbing. I took the seat back 10 times. They took it apart many times. they had a regional tech play with it. They acknowledged a problem but would not replace the seat. It drove me crazy. I finally got rid of it and never bought another Volvo--and it was a great car. but I've told everyone I could since. I like Acura and the 2019 RDX will be my 4th new one since 2006. But if they did to me what Volvo did--it would be my last Acura. VW did the right thing. Volvo should have. If Acura can't resolve your issue they need to replace that seat. Plain and simple. I'd complain to Acura corporate if you don't get dealer satisfaction.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:00 PM
Pro

I actually was able to reproduce the noise while it was sitting in my garage, and I got video of it, so I took it back to the dealer. I talked to another advisor who was there as my normal one was at lunch. He was very nice and understanding and went and got the tech who I've been working with. Unfortunately of course we couldn't reproduce the noise by pressing on the seat the same way I was at home, but when we took it for a drive it was very obvious and he heard the noise, but we still do not know what part of the seat its coming from. He spent about an hour with me and he wants me to come back next week so the service manager can listen to it and we're going to go from there. I did mention that the car only has 300 miles on it, and if we can't pinpoint an exact issue with the seat that I want a new one. He didn't really say anything to that, just "uh huh" so we'll see what the service manager says next week. If they can fix it without replacement, I'm all for it. Hopefully they can resolve it without me having to go up the chain at Acura too far. The tech I have working on it has been there for years, is a Master tech and there shop foreman and I trust him completely. The vehicle is so new that any issues are a little trickier since they have not seen most of them before.

I have video of the noise, how do I post it on here?
Old 07-14-2018, 07:16 PM
Pro

Since I don't know how to embed a video, here is a google drive link to the video I made earlier today of it

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Q4...PNdXloTvpyh4kH
Old 07-14-2018, 07:24 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Since I don't know how to embed a video, here is a google drive link to the video I made earlier today of it

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Q4...PNdXloTvpyh4kH
yuck! Hard to say what’s causing that. Sounds like metal on metal to me. I would mess around with the lumbar positioning and see if that changes anything. With the way the lumbar works it could be a loose component in that system.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:30 PM
Pro

Yup we've tried that. This is a tricky one to pinpoint. Its coming from the seat, but so far we can't figure out exact cause. I'll try to be back next week to see there service manager but I won't have the car for awhile, I am having paint protection film installed on Monday, and if that doesn't get done before Wednesday I'll have to wait another week because my tech will be on vacation for a week. I'll keep this thread updated with what we find and try, and if anybody has had the same problem or has the same problem, please respond.
The following users liked this post:
romer (07-14-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 07:36 PM
Pro

I went and met with the Service Manager and Shop foreman, and they are now in contact with the local rep, and with Acura Engineering. He told me engineering wants to know about any possible issues with the new RDX, and anything that is replaced is sent back to Acura for inspection. He is waiting to hear back on how to proceed. He will be on Vacation next week so he said he'll be in touch the week after.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:56 PM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
If it goes as it’s sounding, I give Acura some points. You’ll be taken care of and they’ll address the broader problem, if it turns out to be one. They invested heavily in this car. They don’t want issues.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:26 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Similar Issue Here

Hi there,

I bought a 2018 RDX Elite around the end of April 2018, I'm experiencing clicking/ticking sound on the driver side as well. I originally thought it's from the dash and recorded the following video:

However, that piece of plastic sitting at around 12 o'clock position in the video is no longer visible when I look under the dash.

I just took it to the dealer today (August 15, 2018) in Calgary, they were unable to locate the noise either.

I investigated a bit more after I got home and found that if I lean my back forward a bit while driving, the noise seemed to disappear. So, I thought the noise might be coming from the seat instead of the dash.

I will take it back again soon, hopefully I can gather more evidence before then.

Did you have any luck with yours?
Old 08-16-2018, 08:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It costs $187.13 to file a claim in small claims court(even if your wrong), once they find out you will subpoena them there boss, etc, they do what you want.......and document it in a video for you tube and call it "Acura screwing the consumer". I go straight fr the jugular,lol.

you can also try this device, which lets you isolate sound.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by ChrisBesu; 08-16-2018 at 08:56 AM. Reason: new info
Old 08-16-2018, 11:31 AM
10th Gear

I have this problem with the passenger side front seat. My wife was driving me home from work the other day, I was in the passenger's seat. I adjusted the lumbar support, after I adjusted the lumbar support I noticed a clicking noise (like plastic parts moving/bending) coming from the seat when the car hit a bump or when I put pressure on the back seat rest. Anyone solutions to this problem so far?
Old 08-16-2018, 11:37 AM
10th Gear

I think it's coming from the seat back lumbar support, adjust the lumbar support and see if it goes away. I noticed as soon as I adjusted the lumbar support the noise started
Old 08-17-2018, 04:36 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Will3212
I think it's coming from the seat back lumbar support, adjust the lumbar support and see if it goes away. I noticed as soon as I adjusted the lumbar support the noise started
That was one of the first things they tried, among other adjustments to the seat, no difference

It's been 2 and a half weeks or so since I last heard from the service manager, which he said they had sent the video to Acura and we're waiting to hear back. I'm going to try to contact him again tomorrow to see if there are any further updates.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:02 AM
Pro

My car's been in the shop since Monday. Acura got back to them and they want them to remove both the bottom seat cushion and back seat cushion and diagnose from there. I dropped it off later in the day Monday, then Tuesday the shop lost power, so put everyone behind. My tech was then off Wednesday and Thursday, so he's supposed to get started on it first thing on Friday morning. I'll update again when I know more.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:04 PM
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 138 Posts
My car's been in the shop since Monday. Acura got back to them and they want them to remove both the bottom seat cushion and back seat cushion and diagnose from there. I dropped it off later in the day Monday, then Tuesday the shop lost power, so put everyone behind. My tech was then off Wednesday and Thursday, so he's supposed to get started on it first thing on Friday morning. I'll update again when I know more.
Any update on this as my passenger seat is making the exact type of noise? I can “wiggle” the seat from side to side and reproduce the noise. It sounds like the clicking is coming from underneath (almost like some screw/nut isn’t tightened enough). I’ll be taking it in soon to report it and show them the noise.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:47 AM
Pro

After 4 separate appointments and about 15 total days in the shop, they could never figure out exactly what it was, so they finally agreed to replace the seat and that solved the problem. They apologized they couldn't just do that sooner, but Acura wanted them to go several steps before they would agree to replace the seat as that is pretty expensive for Acura.

Good luck with your dealer and getting it resolved.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:44 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I started hearing the sound in my drivers side seat back since yesterday. I got car in Oct last week and have 1500 miles on mine. It is coming from the seat back and I can easily recreate it by pressing on the seat back. It seems to be coming from the moving parts for the lumbar support. I tried pressing on the passenger seat the same way and there was no noise. I am noting down all the problems and planning to wait for first service to report everything together. Is it better to open a case with acura for any problem before going to the dealer or try visiting the dealer first?
Old 12-03-2018, 09:59 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
After 4 separate appointments and about 15 total days in the shop, they could never figure out exactly what it was, so they finally agreed to replace the seat and that solved the problem. They apologized they couldn't just do that sooner, but Acura wanted them to go several steps before they would agree to replace the seat as that is pretty expensive for Acura.

Good luck with your dealer and getting it resolved.

Good to hear that your problem is solved. Strange that they could not find the issue in your seat. Please keep us posted on the new seat. Mine worked perfectly fine for about a month and 1500 miles. Just yesterday started hearing the sound from my seat back.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:02 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Midwestuser1

Any update on this as my passenger seat is making the exact type of noise? I can “wiggle” the seat from side to side and reproduce the noise. It sounds like the clicking is coming from underneath (almost like some screw/nut isn’t tightened enough). I’ll be taking it in soon to report it and show them the noise.
I have the exact same issue with the passenger seat. Did you get a resolution?
Old 04-30-2019, 01:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by smihir85
I have the exact same issue with the passenger seat. Did you get a resolution?
I plan to take mine in for this issue soon as I just haven’t had the time due to being very busy with work as I drive a lot for work. I’m convinced there is something loose on the bottom seat track mechanism so I’m going to point them to checking all of those bolts/fasten points under the seat.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:24 AM
Banned

Any update on this issue? I am getting really annoyed with the clicking sound when I accelerate the car from stop or coming to a stop.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:21 PM
2nd Gear

My driver's side seat not only clicks, quite loudly by the way. You can actually feel the parts moving. They supposedly "lubricated" the mechanism and it stopped for a day. It gradually came back.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Alex Chien
Any update on this issue? I am getting really annoyed with the clicking sound when I accelerate the car from stop or coming to a stop.
My passenger seat did this and when I took it in they replaced a bracket under the seat. Most likely your have the same issue so I’d press them to replace whatever is loose/broken under the seat.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:21 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Cheap plastic, poor build quality and worse engineering. The interior on these are abysmal. I have:

-Rattle on both A-pillars. Fixed the D/S on my own, P/S has been removed half a dozen times to try and figure out the rattle. Insulated the entire inner plastic A-pillar from top to bottom and it still rattles.
-Bad rattle from rear cargo area ceiling.
-Clicking from steering wheel while turning.
-Now that it's cold, certain bumps will make the entire dash rattle.
-Groaning from the pano sunroof from entering driveways (not really Acura's fault on this one, but it would have been nice to have the option to delete it [I would have in a heartbeat because I hate the goddamn things])

The car has a mere 4k miles on it. I'm sure there's more to come as things settle in and tolerances become larger and the plastic has more room to move and vibrate. I will steer everyone I possibly can away from ever purchasing a 3G RDX. Great driving car marred by the build quality of a 1G Nissan Versa. Hell, that's probably not fair to the Versa. Honda just sucks at putting interiors together, especially its US factories.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:02 PM
1st Gear

My Seat clicks too!

I've had it back to the dealership twice now. The first time they removed the back cover and insulated the rear area around the springs or something like that. I picked the car up and still immediately noticed the noise. Took it back, showed my tech (Master Tech, Shop Foreman) and agreed it was still coming from the lower seat cushion area, not the seat back. Took it back on Friday, just picked it up today and still not fixed. This time he removed the drivers side seat control panel trim and "insulated" it. He drove it well over 30 miles or so, and said there was no noise. Soon as I get in it and drive away I notice it again. This time I didn't go back though, I'm either going to just leave it until maybe a TSB comes out on it or try to fix it myself. One reason I didn't take it back is my service advisor is not super customer service friendly. The first time I brought it back she was visually upset about it, and when I asked to talk to the tech and have him listen to the noise again, she mumbled under her breath "I don't have time for this" I took the tech out, he heard it and tried to schedule me for there next working day and she actually got upset with him and said we don't have time until Friday! It was an awkward situation. This service advisor is relatively new, my last advisor was great, super nice and loved cars. I stick with her because the tech I trust is on her team.

So, if anybody else has this issue, or has a fix, please post in this thread. There have been almost 600 views. So either a lot of people have the issue, or a lot are curious about whats going on
I'm having the exact same issue took it into the dealership and they can hear the noise but was told it was 'normal because they checked other MDX's on the lot and they make the same noise". I refuse that simply because Acura purports to be a luxury brand but what is luxurious about a rattling/clicking seat. Clearly it appears there is manufacture defect somewhere in production that they need to figure out. I would check into your lemon laws in your state because once you bring your vehicle in multiple times for the same thing it may qualify for compensation. Every state is different though, so check yours out.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:33 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Glad you got it fixed! I've done a few of these. 1 lumbar support issue, and quite a few seat bases (lower frame)