Drivers door speaker squeeling and sputtering

Old 11-26-2018, 05:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 190 Posts
Drivers door speaker squeeling and sputtering

So starting yesterday the driver side speaker decided it wants to squeal and sputter. It is so bad that even when turning the radio off the induction noise being pumped into the car causes it to squeal and sputter also. Any one have this problem. Not to thrilled going to the dealer a 2nd time 2 hours away.

take a listen:

Last edited by Dereileak; 11-26-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Does anyone know where the factory amp is located, the issue was around for a few days then it went away, I want to see if there are any loose connections
Old 11-29-2018, 07:23 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak
Does anyone know where the factory amp is located, the issue was around for a few days then it went away, I want to see if there are any loose connections
Why bother, just take it to the dealer have them inspect and fix it..unless your 2019 rdx is out of warranty..
Old 11-29-2018, 07:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Originally Posted by Yotrek
Why bother, just take it to the dealer have them inspect and fix it..unless your 2019 rdx is out of warranty..
this.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thoiboi
this.
well unfortunately I don’t live close to a dealer, it’s a 2 hour drive for me, so for me to get a rental come back, and then pick it up a week later is 8 hours worth of driving and fuel, and I have already been through this once for other problems. On top of that if I get there with no issue happening they aren’t going to do anything except say they couldn’t reproduce the problem. I just don’t get why it’s all of a sudden working with no problems
Old 11-29-2018, 09:56 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

well unfortunately I don’t live close to a dealer, it’s a 2 hour drive for me, so for me to get a rental come back, and then pick it up a week later is 8 hours worth of driving and fuel, and I have already been through this once for other problems. On top of that if I get there with no issue happening they aren’t going to do anything except say they couldn’t reproduce the problem. I just don’t get why it’s all of a sudden working with no problems
Doesn’t your Acura dealer gives you free loaner? I get a loaner everytime...
Old 11-29-2018, 11:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Doesn’t your Acura dealer gives you free loaner? I get a loaner everytime...
yea they do but that still doesn’t stop me from having to drive 2 hours there, 2 hours back, then another 2 hours there to pick it back up and 2 hours back, for 8 hours of driving and about $50 of fuel
Old 11-30-2018, 06:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Back to the original question, does anyone know where the amp is in this car
Old 11-30-2018, 10:16 AM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Back to the original question, does anyone know where the amp is in this car
I don't hear any "squealing" or "sputtering", but I do hear buzzes and rattles that sound like a faulty speaker's voice coil is rubbing against the magnet causing distortion while it is trying to reproduce engine sounds generated by the Active Sound Control system. Kinda sounds like an old VW Beetle with an open exhaust. This doesn't sound like an amplifier or bad connection to me. The RDX's amplifier is located on the floor of the vehicle below the subwoofer.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zroger73
I don't hear any "squealing" or "sputtering", but I do hear buzzes and rattles that sound like a faulty speaker's voice coil is rubbing against the magnet causing distortion while it is trying to reproduce engine sounds generated by the Active Sound Control system. Kinda sounds like an old VW Beetle with an open exhaust. This doesn't sound like an amplifier or bad connection to me. The RDX's amplifier is located on the floor of the vehicle below the subwoofer.

thanks for that diagram!!! I have done a lot of car audio stuff, the video doesn’t capture everything that I experienced, in person it sounds like a lot of electronic feedback and signal being cut randomly. The only reason I don’t think it’s the speaker is that the audio would sometimes get better and sometimes get worse, and then yesterday the issue totally went away. Also where did you get that diagram, do you have access to other diagrams for this car?
Old 11-30-2018, 12:43 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Initially, I was listening on a telephone headset at work, but just listened again using a pair of high-quality earphones. I can still hear up to 15 kHz in my right ear and 17 kHz in my left ear. I don't hear what you're describing. All I hear is bunch of rattling that sounds like something loose and vibrating then later in the video I hear what sounds like a flat-4 engine with a "fart can muffler" when you accelerate. If these noises are indeed coming from the speaker, my first guess is still with the speaker.

Last month, I inherited a 2016 Ford Fiesta from a relative who died. After several days of driving it, I began to randomly notice a fuzzy/buzzy distortion in the woofer in the driver's door. Sometimes it was perfectly clear and other times it buzzed louder than the music. When it was acting up, the touch screen "bong" also sounded weird. Over the weeks, it got progressively worse until it was doing it constantly. I was convinced I was going to need to replace the audio unit at a cost of hundreds of dollars, but it turned out to be a defective speaker. I tore apart the original speaker and found where the voice coil had been rubbing against the magnet due to a misalignment. Temperature and humidity changes would affect the alignment of the voice coil causing intermittent distortion. You may have a different issue, but thought I'd share anyway.

You can view "all-you-can-eat" service information and wiring diagrams directly from Honda at techinfo.honda.com for $10/day or $50/month.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zroger73
Initially, I was listening on a telephone headset at work, but just listened again using a pair of high-quality earphones. I can still hear up to 15 kHz in my right ear and 17 kHz in my left ear. I don't hear what you're describing. All I hear is bunch of rattling that sounds like something loose and vibrating then later in the video I hear what sounds like a flat-4 engine with a "fart can muffler" when you accelerate. If these noises are indeed coming from the speaker, my first guess is still with the speaker.

Last month, I inherited a 2016 Ford Fiesta from a relative who died. After several days of driving it, I began to randomly notice a fuzzy/buzzy distortion in the woofer in the driver's door. Sometimes it was perfectly clear and other times it buzzed louder than the music. When it was acting up, the touch screen "bong" also sounded weird. Over the weeks, it got progressively worse until it was doing it constantly. I was convinced I was going to need to replace the audio unit at a cost of hundreds of dollars, but it turned out to be a defective speaker. I tore apart the original speaker and found where the voice coil had been rubbing against the magnet due to a misalignment. Temperature and humidity changes would affect the alignment of the voice coil causing intermittent distortion. You may have a different issue, but thought I'd share anyway.

You can view "all-you-can-eat" service information and wiring diagrams directly from Honda at techinfo.honda.com for $10/day or $50/month.
thanks for that, I am going to keep any eye on it, it noticed when the issue was occurring that it was fine at low volumes then after turning up it would cause it to start and occur at all volumes. This was true for the engine induced noise and for any music playing. There is a possibility that the magnet is loose and shifting on mine and perhaps it shifted back into alignment (temporarily), I guess I will find out on the 6 hours of driving I am doing this weekend. I do worry that if it starts again that I will have to listen to it for hours, but I will hope for the best. I am going to stop at the dealer in a few weeks for my squeaky brakes, for the second time. The service director said they are aware of the issue and Acura is working on a fix but they don’t have it yet. Also the temps will drop in Minnesota here this week and I can see if any other transmissions issue come out