Did anyone purchase Acura’s maintenance plan? Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 10:53 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did anyone purchase Acura’s maintenance plan? Is it worth it?

I purchased the maintenance plan for around $1200 which included things like oil changes tire rotations for example for free but now upon receiving the documentation I have the option to get my money back and it’s looking like it’s not worth it. Anyone else in the same boat for a leased RDX
Old 02-13-2019, 12:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
2 oil changes a year at $80 per change. $20 for a tire rotation. So maybe $200 a year? I had the 2013 RDX and really never spent much more than $200. All those service reminders were essentially check oil/air filters for the first few years of the maintenance plan.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:43 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 405 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck718
I purchased the maintenance plan for around $1200 which included things like oil changes tire rotations for example for free but now upon receiving the documentation I have the option to get my money back and it’s looking like it’s not worth it. Anyone else in the same boat for a leased RDX
Prepaid maintenance is really just a money grab upfront. No way you're gonna have $1200 in maintenance over the next few years unless you drive a ton.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:55 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts
I don’t think these prepaid maintenance plans are a good idea for any vehicle. Why give the dealer money ahead of time? These are money makers for the dealer. They wouldn’t offer it if it wasn’t.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:43 PM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
I think I paid around $250 for four oil changes + tire rotation. If I recall, there was a member stating that he paid $200 for the same deal.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:49 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ross7777
I don’t think these prepaid maintenance plans are a good idea for any vehicle. Why give the dealer money ahead of time? These are money makers for the dealer. They wouldn’t offer it if it wasn’t.
Thanks for the info I’m canceling the contract tomorrow wishing the first 60 days you can get a full refund
Old 02-13-2019, 10:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 294 Posts
Thanks for the info I’m canceling the contract tomorrow wishing the first 60 days you can get a full refund
The details should be in the contract. Sometimes it depends on what state you're in. Like others, I do not think it is worth it.

When BMW first started offering these (ca 2005), it was totally worth it (this is for after 50k miles). It was almost as if they were trying to help out owners, because the original owner could buy it. Now even they have started charging too much and any subsequent owner can buy it.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
Unless you negotiated deeply discounted maintaince package as part of the sales deal, the maintaince packages are almost always not worth the price. You would want to pay for maintaince as you go without giving them money upfront. Gives you more options and control.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:28 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I purchased 8 oil changes, tire rotations and safety inspections for $275. I typically keep my vehicles for 90-100,000 miles if they are trouble free so this was a good deal in my opinion. I have 7,000 miles on my Advanced model and just scheduled my first A1 service. Coinsidently I also received an email from the dealer for a free A1 service ��
Old 02-15-2019, 06:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrblase
I purchased 8 oil changes, tire rotations and safety inspections for $275. I typically keep my vehicles for 90-100,000 miles if they are trouble free so this was a good deal in my opinion. I have 7,000 miles on my Advanced model and just scheduled my first A1 service. Coinsidently I also received an email from the dealer for a free A1 service ��
Did you first negotiate a price of the car and later purchased maintance package? If yes, its a good deal. But if you negotiated car purchase together with this package it is difficult to judge without knowing all the numbers if you got a good deal or not.

Last edited by russianDude; 02-15-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:48 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
I have a personal policy of never taking out maintenance contracts on anything. Not cars, computers, phones, appliances or anything.

Maintenance contracts are sources of profit. HUGE profits. If you are negligent or abusive to your possessions, you should take out service and maintenance contracts. I'm not. I try to buy quality products and I take reasonably good care of them. I use them but I don't abuse them. If I have to repair or replace something, that's the cost of living and I'm ahead of the game. I've known people who almost like to brag about how worthwhile their service contracts are. Those are people who shouldn't own nice things.

There are things I can afford to take a risk with and take the hit and there are things I can't afford to take the risk with. It's all about risk-management. If my car breaks down, I can afford to fix it. If my hot water heater springs a leak, I can afford to replace it. If my house burns down, I can't afford to replace it without my life being severely altered. I can afford a visit to the doctor. I can't afford a $200,000 surgery to have a tumor removed from my brain.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:07 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude

Did you first negotiate a price of the car and later purchased maintance package? If yes, its a good deal. But if you negotiated car purchase together with this package it is difficult to judge without knowing all the numbers if you got a good deal or not.
I negotiated the car seperatly. The oil change package was offered the day of delivery kind of out of the blue.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:28 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
You need to really figure out what you are getting and what the maintenance requirements are.

A few years ago, I paid $850 for the 60k plan.

Services are required about every 7k miles, so 8 services. 4 of those will be A and 4 will be B. You'll have at least 1 tranny fluid flush and 1 brake flush

If you go to the dealer for service, the A1 service will be about $100-$120 - so $400 to $480

The B Service is in the $200 range, so $800

The tranny flush and brake flush are about $150 each, so $300

That adds up to about $1600 add taxes and shop fees and you're probably around the $1700 mark. Digging around for coupons, specials and "creative servicing" (asking for oil change only and rotation instead of A1 and doing the checks yourself or relying on the courtesy checks) can probably knock that down to $1200 or so, but there is some value in not bothering with coupons and specials and just dropping off the car for whichever service is necessary and then just signing for the car when you pick it up.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:29 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanax
2 oil changes a year at $80 per change. ...
Is that typical for this vehicle? I was wondering about that. Until now, all the vehicles I've owned were around the more typical $30 / oil and filter change. But this vehicle appears to have some extra stuff to be removed like access panels and such.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrblase
I negotiated the car seperatly. The oil change package was offered the day of delivery kind of out of the blue.
its a good deal. But you know whats going to happen, they will really be hoping you also get additional “recommended” services besides oil changes and tire rotations to make up their profits. Just say NO 😀
Old 02-17-2019, 08:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
Is that typical for this vehicle? I was wondering about that. Until now, all the vehicles I've owned were around the more typical $30 / oil and filter change. But this vehicle appears to have some extra stuff to be removed like access panels and such.
0w-20 only comes as blend or synthetic. Its pretty difficult to get $30 oil change and filter unless its a special. Expect to pay $40-50 min, unless ofcourse you DIY
The following users liked this post:
NooYawkuh (02-18-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 10:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
Is that typical for this vehicle?....
My dealer advertises $50.
Full-synthetic
Oil & Filter Change

$49.95
  • Replace Engine Oil and Filter
  • Check/Set Fluid Levels
  • Check Tire Pressure
  • Complimentary Multi-Point Inspection
  • Complimentary Car Wash & Vacuum
The following users liked this post:
NooYawkuh (02-18-2019)
Old 08-22-2021, 04:50 PM
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm late to the party, sorry. We bought a 2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD/Advanced - we bought the maintenance plan for $1,600 and it was worth it. First, it covered oil changes that ran about $40 each. Then it covered the transfer case oil changes during the plan (there were about 2 or 3 of them based on the maintenance schedule I think). It covered the transmission fluid change. Cabin filters, air filters, oil filters. Could I do those things myself, cheaper, yeah, probably, but what else was nice for me was that I was able to drop it off and because I bought from that dealership, they also gave me a loaner for a few hours in exchange for not rushing on my maintenance to be done within an hour or so, but maybe four. Add onto that the belt change, and it would have ran us about $3,300 in costs at the dealership. So yeah, we did save. The plans ARE negotiable with most dealerships. Don't buy the dealership plans, buy the ACURA authentic plans. Don't be fooled by dealerships who say their personal plan is better than Acura's because an Acura plan lets you go to ANY Acura dealership (personal dealer plans are only within the dealerships that are part of that group). Some Acura LEGIT plans are even sold online for a tiny markup compared to buying a dealership (bought my Honda and Ford plans that way at a HUGE savings). Some dealerships mark them up plans by 100% to 200%. Do your homework. The dealer doesn't lose money selling it cheaper, they just lose profit and you can try to negotiate. Acura pays the maintenance costs (or the Acura maintenance plan administrator). Dealerships sell the maintenance plans and warranties at pure profit above cost. Due to the nature of vehicles now, electronics, computers, technology, I'd not go without an extended warranty either. I definitely used the extended warranties on my Ford trucks, but didn't really get my monies worth out of my Acura extended warranty, but I don't regret having had that piece of mind and would buy them again.

Buying a maintenance plan - check the maintenance schedule for your vehicle up to 120K miles - price out the "REPLACE" services (ignore the "INSPECT" stuff). If you can do better then by all means, don't buy the plan. But if it would cost me about the same at a side shop versus the dealer by buying a negotiated Acura maintenance plan AND have it done by techs who specialize in my vehicle, have the latest TSBs and info, etc., then I'm good with buying the maintenance plans for Acura. You don't have to buy them before OR the day you buy the new car. You can buy them a little after, but don't wait too long. And don't let the dealerships FEAR monger you into buying it then or never again - that's bull! Don't let them make you feel stupid or say you aren't thinking about the future by NOT buying one. I hate it when they do that and then refuse to even negotiate with them (buying it online instead).

All the best.

DB