Crossover Market for expected 2018 purchasers!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 03:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SK1124
So i fooled around and tried to build a Volvo XC60. It started at 52k CDN MSRP. By the time I added all the packages (Vision, Convenience, Climate), Polestar performance optimization (not really sure if this is necessary but added it anyways), 4 corner air suspension with four C-active chassis (not really sure if this is necessary but added it anyways), HUD, and Bowers and wilkins premium sound system, it ballooned to a whopping 77K CDN with estimated taxes in. Really Pricey!!! Definitely out of my budget (looking 55K to 65K). Again, not sure if all those features are actually needed but either way its going to be super expensive. Might still go check it out at a dealership to see what it looks like in person.
I would be interested in hearing your opinion of the interior space in the XC60 after you've had a chance to sit in one.

I sat in the driver's seat of an XC60 at this year's DC Auto Show and it seemed to be more narrow / tighter fit across the width of the driver's seating area than the RDX. I did not sit in any of the other seats nor did I try to compare space behind rear seats.

Thanks
Bruce
Old 03-10-2018, 03:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by BCOmega
I sat in the driver's seat of an XC60 at this year's DC Auto Show and it seemed to be more narrow / tighter fit across the width of the driver's seating area than the RDX. I did not sit in any of the other seats nor did I try to compare space behind rear seats.

Thanks
Bruce
I would agree with that, which is strange since it's generally wider than the competition. With its more aggressively bolstered seats and dark interior, I think the R Design feels tighter yet. The cargo area is small for its class, too.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:59 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm officially off the waiting list for the new RDX. Believing other TDI owners who said the modification's effects were barely noticeable, I went ahead and had the fix done on my Touareg. Well, it turns out the VW fanboys weren't being completely honest (or they're just blinded by brand loyalty). In short, it is not the wonderful car I purchased. Unable to live with the effects of the modification, I stepped up my efforts to find a replacement. Long story short, after a hectic week of test drives and wheeling-n-dealing, I'm the owner of loaded CPO Black Label MKX 2.7T. I guess my return to the Acura family will have to wait a little longer. I will of course continue to hang around and see how everybody else makes out. Good luck!
Old 04-04-2018, 11:40 AM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Being new to the whole vehicle buying world, I was looking for thoughts on extended warranties on new vehicle purchases? Are they ever worth it? Are some brands more worth it than others? Specifically, I'm still leaning towards the 2019 RDX so was curious about the Acura extended warranty. Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:09 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Being new to the whole vehicle buying world, I was looking for thoughts on extended warranties on new vehicle purchases? Are they ever worth it? Are some brands more worth it than others? Specifically, I'm still leaning towards the 2019 RDX so was curious about the Acura extended warranty. Any insight would be appreciated.
I will give you the same canned response I give everyone who asks about the warranties. The companies offering them wouldn't be in business long if they paid out more than the took in. My suggestion? Take the money you would pay for the warranty and open an RDX service account with it. You are guaranteed to get every dollar you put in back out this way. Some will say they got way more out of th warranty than they put in. In my opinion this is a rare case. If you do decide to buy a warranty, get one from Acura so that it stays around and covers what you need. There are several sources to get it at a discount(most are Honda dealers).
The following users liked this post:
GW208 (04-04-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 08:08 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I skipped Acura Care for my current 06 TSX (+142K) and 06 RDX (+149K). The longest I've seen Acura Care was 5 extra years or 120K for around $2400 and there are other warranty combos at lower time/mileage. Keep in mind you still have the 4yr/50K bumper-to-bumper basic, 6yr/70K powertrain, and future TSB/Extended 100K warranties that might be added later. Those standard warranties will always pay first before they apply Acura Care. I would have been on the losing side if I did Acura Care with my TSX and RDX. The issues I've had (power steering pump, alternator, door actuator, upper control arm, spark plug coil pack, torn arm rest, floppy driver sun visor) all happened +100,000 miles. All other issues under 100K were covered by one of the other warranties (i-Vtec actuator replacement, power steering hose safety TSB, condensation in headlight, peeling clear coat on RDX front bumper, bouncy hood, RDX knocking front strut, blown speaker).

I would only go with Acura Care because it would be accepted at any Acura dealership or Honda dealership IF Acura is too far or not available. You have to pay sales tax on top of the warranty price if you purchase in state. I didn't pay sales tax when I purchase my warranty out of state online saving me about $250. I think Florida is the only state you must purchase in-state from an Acura dealership if you live within the state. You still have time to add Acura Care as long as your 4yr/50K basic warranty is still active. 3rd party warranty other than Acura Care can have a ton of restrictions like:
- must do routine maint at certain shops only (costing you more $$$)
- long approval process to cover repairs
- deductibles and repair restrictions
- not accepted everywhere, only can do repairs a certain shops or the same state you purchased the 3rd party warranty
- may not be prorated if you sell your car
- not transferable to new owner if you sell the car
- may not be able to cancel at anytime for get a refund of unused warranty period

I did do Acura Care 5/120K on my 11 MDX Adv+Ent because of the magnetic suspension. It can cost $700 to $1000 per corner out of pocket to replace and they can fail at anytime. I already had a failure of the passenger front strut at 35K covered by the 4/50K basic warranty. I purchased Acura Care right at 3 yrs and 9 months with about 47K on my MDX because of the magnetic suspension. Acura then added an extended warranty a few years later for the MDX/ZDX to cover the magnetic suspension up to 100K. My rear magnetic shocks just went out and was replaced during my 105K service (I had 108K on the odo). I've only used my Acura Care warranty for replacing both driver/passenger seat heaters and rear magnetic shocks. I only used about $2000 from my $2390 Acura Care warranty. I need the front struts to fail in 12,000 miles to be ahead in the warranty game; but, I'll settle for breaking close to even.

I would wait until the very last minute before your 4/50K basic expires to make a final decision on Acura Care if you sill want it.

Last edited by mrgold35; 04-05-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:21 AM
Instructor

Some big news. I took the plunge yesterday at my local Acura dealership. I need vehicle by July (1st child on the way) and I've exhausted myself looking at all of the vehicle options over the past 6 months. I can confidently say I've looked and the RDX fits my needs (balance of performance, aesthetics, features, cargo space) and all for a fairly reasonable price for the luxury market. I also have a sales rep I've been dealing with for years so I'm very comfortable with him. Long story short, I put down a deposit for a Black exterior - red interior A-Spec Elite. Basically, we estimated (a bit on the low side) that there will be a $2,500 price increase from the current Elite and factored in the addition of the A-spec (by looking at the TLX as a reference point) and arrived at a figured around $60,000 CDN (47,000 USD). If the car is more than this figure I can walk away no questions asked and take back my small deposit. I can also change the colours later down the road. This just guarantees me a vehicle in the first order. Basically, if a white one arrives with red interior and I have a change of heart, I can take that one since they know they wont have a problem selling the black one shortly thereafter.

A small part of me will miss car shopping (and learning a ton about cars), but I think I'm very pleased with my decision. I've kept an open mind the all brands the entire time, but the more we learn about the RDX (and see it), the more it seems like the ideal fit for my wife and I. Here's to hoping the test drive reviews aren't atrocious! lol
The following users liked this post:
mrgold35 (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 09:55 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
The A-Spec is the model I would be interested in purchasing down the road. Please report back with updates on delivery and driving impressions once you hit the road with the new ride!
Old 04-19-2018, 10:03 AM
Instructor

New review of the XC60 by Redline for those car shopping:

Overall, seems like a great car, but personally the 70+K CDN MSRP (over 80K CDN with taxes) for a fully loaded inscription T6 AWD (FYI video is a T8 not a T6) is just out of my budget! Either way, I am not convinced its a good value buy at all! Personally, I would have to buy more of a base model to get within my 55-60K budget and I'm not willing to forego all of the technology.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:38 AM
Burning Brakes

The XC60 is, in my opinion, the best of the SPA platform models to date. Without the optional air suspension, the ride can still be harsh -- too harsh for a car that doesn't handle particularly well. MSRP's can get laughably high, too, but low-mileage CPO models are a pretty good value. If it weren't for the infotainment system and small-ish cargo capacity, I'd have a loaded Inscription in my garage now. I was this close.