Crossover Market for expected 2018 purchasers!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Crossover Market for expected 2018 purchasers!

Thought I would start a thread since there is likely many others in the same boat as me in that we are looking to purchase a vehicle in this segment in 2018. It would be good to compare our thoughts on the various vehicles. Although we don't know the finals specs of the RDX as yet, we can anticipate what they will be since the vehicle appears to be almost production ready. We can fill in as we learn more information.

I have been shopping around for about 3 months now. I swear, I have been into almost every car dealership looking at their crossovers. I'll offer some more insight when I have some more time, but for the time being some of the cars I have test driven and looked at are the kia Sorrento SX Turbo, Mazda cx-5, Honda CR-V touring, Benz GLC 300, Lexus NX 300, BMW X3. Quite the range of vehicles, I know. I started out my search with non-premium vehicles and slowly moved my way up towards the premium market.

Few thoughts since I have some time right now:

Lexus NX - I personally don't mind the predator front so in my opinion the exterior is really nice. However, inside is where the vehicle lacks. To get the heads up display you need to upgrade to the f sport 3 which means the car is going to be pricey!! (I believe it went over $70K canadian when i priced it). No Apple carplay or android auto either. The biggest drawback was the size of the vehicle. It was just so TINY! Anyone over 6ft would not fit comfortably in the driver seat imo. The trunk is really tight as well (correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it has the smallest trunk in the crossover segment). Just seemed like my money would not be best spent on this vehicle.

GLC 300 - my favourite vehicle so far. It was nice. It felt luxurious inside and out. Very spacious. Drove well and had very little cabin noise. I believe the engine was about 241 horsepower and 270ish torque, which is not bad, although not great. Fully loaded (literally) including heated front and rear, all wood inside, heated steering wheel, heads up display (drawback is it only shows navigation), folding side mirrors, upgrade to Burmeister speakers etc. would cost around $65k Canadian. One of the downsides is no android auto or apple carplay. To be honest, I am hoping the RDX provides all of the features at a better cost value (if only we were all millionaires and didn't have to worry about cost!!). Based on the prototype, this is quite possible.

Will share some more thoughts later on other vehicles. Happy to hear everyone else's current thought process whose in the midst of looking for a vehicle.

Cheers

Last edited by SK1124; 02-21-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:00 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great insight. I too have started looking at vehicles, but haven't progressed to the test driving state just yet. I'm currently driving a 2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD, and although I find it a fun car to drive, I've had difficulty finding a comfortable seating position on the extended (i.e. long) Interstate drives. Just when to a local Auto Expo and tried various vehicles on for size. Unfortunately, there were many missing brands (no Audi, Mercedes, Honda, Acura or Infinity). Based on many reviews, I was expecting the new Volvo's to be the most comfortable seats in the lot, but in my opinion, others were better. I guess this just shows that you've got to take Internet Video reviews and recommendations into account, but nothing compares to actually sitting in one of the vehicles. The Crossover's that I sat in that I found comfortable were the Lexus NX/RX, Mazda CX5/CX9, and Lincoln MKC. The new 2019 MKC looks a little nicer. Lincoln had a locked 2019 MKC at the show as well as the new 2019 Nautilus (old MKX).

One of my other requirements for a replacement vehicle is to have a minimum of 2000 lb of towing ability, which the CX-5 has and I've used. This is the one items that I'll be watching VERY closely once Acura announces their RDX specs. I've been surprised that the past RDX's have had only a 1500 lb limit.

Vehicles I'm watching for more information.......Acura RDX, Volvo CX40, Infinity QX50. Based on what I've seen, I really want to like the new RDX, but will have to take a wait and see approach.

==
M
Old 02-22-2018, 07:15 AM
Intermediate

For me, it’s between the 2018 & 2019 RDX. We plan to lease due to rapidly advancing tech and the upcoming arrival of more electric cars in the next few years, so something like a 10-year cost of ownership analysis isn’t really a variable we’ll be considering. I think it will come down to the difference between features, mpg (99% of our driving is stop/go city driving) and lease cost for us - either vahicle will be an upgrade over our ILX. In regard to the “if money were no object” thing - we would grab a Tesla Model X immediately and not look back.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:56 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
It is a 'bang for the buck" scenario for us recently empty nester (the kid is in his Soph. yr of college and he might come back). My current fleet of 3 Acura vehicles are coming up on 400,000 miles between them and they all run flawlessly. Looking to add an additional vehicle with some towing for 4 bike rack or swing out cargo box; but, long haul hwy comfort mainly at 15K-20K per year. It doesn't matter to me new or used compared to long-term cost of ownership, value, and reliability as I pile up the mileage. I'm a little worried about the 2019 RDX with road noise and lack of space like my current 08 RDX. I love my MDX for long hauls, but, that isn't the best on passenger city only work commuting/errand vehicle because of its size and city mpgs.

I will be looking for the best "bang for the buck" in the $45,000 range or below in the next 1-3 years. This would include used vehicle like a 2017/2018 MDX sh-awd or sh-sh-awd tech/adv as contenders also. Being empty nesters, we might consider not taking the new/used vehicle to our usual +150,000 miles and consider something like the Macan or F-Pace short term in the same price range (used).
Old 02-22-2018, 09:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
I should be dumping my beloved (yet despised) Touareg TDI by the end of summer. Current contenders to replace it include the RDX, Nautilus, Edge ST, Stinger GT and Regal GS. I might throw the gorgeous new V60 in there, too, but based on test drives of other SPA-based Volvos, I fully expect to be disappointed. I had hoped to see the Genesis GV80, but all indications are it will be a 2019 release. I really liked the MDX Sport Hybrid, but I can't get past the infotainment system, and I have no need for 3 rows of seats. The nearest Acura dealership, more than 60 miles away, kinda sucks, too. If I don't absolutely love the RDX after a test drive, the lack of good dealership options might be a deal-breaker.

To the OP, you're wise to consider the GLC. My wife is generally pleased with hers, which replaced an absolutely bullet-proof Q5. The engine feels stronger than the ratings suggest, which is pretty common for the German manufacturers. Except for an overabundance of tech, the run-flat tires and lack of CarPlay, it's a solid package. Avoid the Silk Beige leather, however ... The dye transfer rate is off the charts.
The following users liked this post:
RDX10 (02-24-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 12:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HotRodW
I should be dumping my beloved (yet despised) Touareg TDI by the end of summer. Current contenders to replace it include the RDX, Nautilus, Edge ST, Stinger GT and Regal GS. I might throw the gorgeous new V60 in there, too, but based on test drives of other SPA-based Volvos, I fully expect to be disappointed. I had hoped to see the Genesis GV80, but all indications are it will be a 2019 release. I really liked the MDX Sport Hybrid, but I can't get past the infotainment system, and I have no need for 3 rows of seats. The nearest Acura dealership, more than 60 miles away, kinda sucks, too. If I don't absolutely love the RDX after a test drive, the lack of good dealership options might be a deal-breaker.

To the OP, you're wise to consider the GLC. My wife is generally pleased with hers, which replaced an absolutely bullet-proof Q5. The engine feels stronger than the ratings suggest, which is pretty common for the German manufacturers. Except for an overabundance of tech, the run-flat tires and lack of CarPlay, it's a solid package. Avoid the Silk Beige leather, however ... The dye transfer rate is off the charts.
Since I am typically not a "car guy" (this is all new to me over the past 6 months), what is the problem with the run-flat tires?
Old 02-22-2018, 12:23 PM
mrgold35

Run flat are usually:
- more expensive
- rough ride compared to regular tires because of the thicker construction
- may not handle, brake, accelerate, or have the treadlife as well as regular tires.
- not a lot of tire selections if you want/need summer/all season/winter tire from a particular manufacturer
- suspension are sometimes tuned for the harder run flats, may not feel the same if you convert to regular tires
- usually no spare provide
- Run flats can weigh more
- Acura sh-awd requires you to keep tread wear within a certain % or you have to purchase at least 2 new tires on the same axle

Run Flats can be safer if you can't change a flat and need to drive up 25 miles for help or keep from having a blow out at 75 mph on the hwy and loosing control of your vehicle.

Last edited by mrgold35; 02-22-2018 at 12:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrgold35:
Comfy (02-24-2018), SK1124 (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 12:36 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
To add to mrgold's list, run flats can survive a small puncture and still function. The problem is when you suffer a complete catastrophic failure of the run flat. Vehicles that are equipped with run flats usually don't come with a spare tire, so you're going to need a tow. This is fine if you're in an urban area. If you're in the middle of nowhere with no cell service and few-to-none passerby vehicles, it could be a scary proposition indeed.
SK1124 (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 12:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
To add to mrgold's list, run flats can survive a small puncture and still function. The problem is when you suffer a complete catastrophic failure of the run flat. Vehicles that are equipped with run flats usually don't come with a spare tire, so you're going to need a tow. This is fine if you're in an urban area. If you're in the middle of nowhere with no cell service and few-to-none passerby vehicles, it could be a scary proposition indeed.
makes sense. I can confirm the rep at mercedez told me that the GLC does not come with a spare tire.

Last edited by SK1124; 02-22-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SK1124
Since I am typically not a "car guy" (this is all new to me over the past 6 months), what is the problem with the run-flat tires?
Run-flats have a number of disadvantages, including: higher cost, higher weight (unsprung weight is far worse for dynamics than "sprung" weight), firmer ride, increased wear rate, limited repairability, and limited availability should you need an emergency replacement. They can also give you a false sense of security. The sidewalls are so rigid, that they can fail where a traditional tire would not. Hit a pothole hard enough with a run-flat, and you could easily put a bulge in the sidewall. While they are designed to be run without air, you cannot drive one with a damaged sidewall. So while you think you or your wife is more secure with run-flats, they might be the very reason one of you finds yourself sitting on the side of the road waiting for roadside assistance.

Last edited by HotRodW; 02-22-2018 at 12:59 PM.
SK1124 (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 12:57 PM
mrgold35

Living and traveling in the southwest, I find myself with little to no cell coverage sometimes and 4-12 hours between major cities in every direction away from Albuquerque that would even carry a run flat replacement. Driving an extra 25 miles on a 0 PSI run flat doesn't help me if I'm +2hrs away at 75 mph from the nearest town.

I would skip run flats check box for my type of driving and add atleast a donut spare or add a full size spare if I could.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Living and traveling in the southwest, I find myself with little to no cell coverage sometimes and 4-12 hours between major cities in every direction away from Albuquerque that would even carry a run flat replacement. Driving an extra 25 miles on a 0 PSI run flat doesn't help me if I'm +2hrs away at 75 mph from the nearest town.

I would skip run flats check box for my type of driving and add atleast a donut spare or add a full size spare if I could.
Is there even an option in a vehicle like the GLC (or any other vehicle advertised with a run-flat) to purchase with regular tires? Obviously, based on the few recent posts this could have negative affects on the way the car drives.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:07 PM
mrgold35

Is there even an option in a vehicle like the GLC (or any other vehicle advertised with a run-flat) to purchase with regular tires? Obviously, based on the few recent posts this could have negative affects on the way the car drives.
I would check to see if every model for the GLC has run flats or is it an upgrade package. Then you can double-check to see if the run flat addition also has any suspension upgrades. If it just the tires/rim combo, you might be able to switch out the run flat tires at time of purchase at the dealership for regular ones.
SK1124 (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 02:32 PM
Burning Brakes

The GLC300 is only available with run-flats, or at least it was last year. I'll be surprised if they changed it. I believe the AMG43/AMG63 might come with conventional rubber. Most manufacturers do not offer the option of conventional tires if run-flats are standard equipment. The Q7's base 18" tires are conventional, but all upgrade options are rf's. You might be able to strike a deal with the dealership.

I tolerated the run-flats on my BMW for a few thousand miles, but the brutal ride got the best of me, so I swapped them for conventional rubber. I also had conventional winter tires. I carried a Slime Safety Spair kit for emergencies, which thankfully I never needed. Run-flats have improved, so we didn't feel we needed to change them on the Benz for ride quality. I still chose to go with conventional tires for the winter setup, however, and when the all-season run-flats are done, we'll replace them with conventional tires as well. She carries a Slime kit, too.
SK1124 (02-22-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 02:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts

I have to tell you I absolutely love your list of contender cars, me and you literally have the same taste in cars. Every single car on that list I really like. It’s too bad Genesis is taking forever to come out with the GV80. Kia is also greenlighting the telluride (absolutely love the concept for this one) and camo clad models have already been spotted so it could be out by next year and might be riding on the genesis RWD platform like the GV80. It’s too bad VW dropped the Touareg in north america because the 2019 model looks AMAZING. So I’m very disappointed. So many exciting things going on in the crossover world right now. So many choices and you almost can’t go wrong anymore!
HotRodW (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 02:55 PM
7th Gear

Hello! First post. I've never owned an Acura, but I looked at the 2017-2018 when beginning my crossover research. I've looked at the X3, GLC, NX F-Sport, XC40, the 2019 Cherokee Overland, the Tuscon, the MDX (like the interior of the current model, but it's too big), and considered a few others. I like BMW, but I plan on keeping what I buy for a decade and I don't want to own German out of warranty, so I kept coming back the Lexus NX-300 F-Sport for reliability. I previously owned a Lexus IS and the dealership and service experiences were both A+ for me. Someone on the Club Lexus forum posted to the new RDX and I was blown away. It checks almost every box I'm looking for! I think the RDX might move ahead of the Lexus in my top spot. I'm still a year or two from purchase, so perhaps Lexus will answer with a refresh of their own for 2020. But, it seems like Acura nailed it with the RDX. Time will tell...

So, Acura owners, if you positive or negative experience with service I'm all ears. The customer satisfaction ratings aren't great. I haven't combed the forums on past generation RDX's yet, but I'm sure I will. I dove pretty deep into the Lexus forum looking for all the complaints and quirks I could find. If you have suggested threads to start my research in I'll check them out, but I'm a total noob when it comes to Acura.

NX vs RDX:
Things the Lexus has where I'm not sure the Acura does: adaptive headlight/fog lights (for illuminating turns), auto-dimming rear view and side mirrors, side mirrors angle down in reverse, and auto folding mirrors. Hoping the RDX has these as well. It looks like the RDX still only has manual tilt/telescoping wheel. Much prefer the auto for the memory function. I also noticed the P and cone icon in the RDX. On other vehicles that's the intuitive/auto-parallel parking sensor. It'd be nice if the RDX had that, but not a must, and Lexus doesn't. The XC40 has parallel/perpendicular and park-in/park-out assist. Cool feature.

For anyone that might be interested pricing on the '18 F-Sport, I piled up the list of a fully loaded build along with the Lexus description to save and compare to the competition. It's MSRP, but one of those non-negotiating Lexus dealers had this exact spec on the lot and it was selling for $50,200.
2018 Lexus NX 300 F Sport Build
Exterior: Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 $595
Interior: Circuit Red NuLuxe w/Metallic Sport Trim
Packages:
F Sport Package $0: comes with 18” wheels & A/S tires
Cold Weather Package: Windshield wiper de-icer
Navigation $1800: Upgraded 10.3” display, Enform destination assist, 10-speaker premium audio, additional USB port, electrochromic (auto-dimming) rear view mirror w/ homelink
F Sport Premium $2865: Outer-sliding moon roof, heated and ventilated front seats, seat memory, blind spot monitor w/cross traffic alert, electrochromic outside mirrors with auto tilt down in reverse, enhanced LED daytime running lights (DRL) with integrated turn signals, power tilt and telescoping steering wheel.
Triple-Beam LED Headlamps with Adaptive Front-Lighting System $1515: Full LED headlamps and LED turn signals
Adaptive Variable Suspension $770: AVS monitors and adjusts the electronically controlled shock absorber settings at each wheel depending on road surface, vehicle speed, and driving style.
Power Rear Door with Kick Sensor $550
Intuitive Park Assist $535: Utilized sensors integrated into the front and rear bumpers that are designed to detect surrounding objects. Using audible tones and an indicator on the multimedia display, the system can notify you of a detected object’s location and Proximity, helping with routine tasks like parallel parking. If contact with an obstacle is imminent, the system can also bring the vehicle to a complete stop, under certain circumstances. [No self-parking]
Panoramic View Camera: $800
Mudguards $155
Electrochromic inside mirror $125 (required on the navigation package)
Delivery Fee $995
Options and delivery total MSRP: $10,815.00
Total MSRP: $50,590
Old 02-23-2018, 04:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RDX10

I have to tell you I absolutely love your list of contender cars, me and you literally have the same taste in cars. Every single car on that list I really like. It’s too bad Genesis is taking forever to come out with the GV80. Kia is also greenlighting the telluride (absolutely love the concept for this one) and camo clad models have already been spotted so it could be out by next year and might be riding on the genesis RWD platform like the GV80. It’s too bad VW dropped the Touareg in north america because the 2019 model looks AMAZING. So I’m very disappointed. So many exciting things going on in the crossover world right now. So many choices and you almost can’t go wrong anymore!
And if I'm not mistaken, you've sworn off of BMW, too? After my experience with the brand, I'll never own another.

I will say my Touareg has been stellar. Repairs can be outrageously expensive (high pressure fuel pump failures can easily cost owners $12k+), but I've been fortunate thus far. My issue is with the brand, not the car. In a way I'm relieved the new Touareg isn't coming here ... the last thing I need is to be tempted to stay with the brand. The Arteon looks like a solid package, but it's just not compelling enough when the Stinger and Regal GS are out there.
RDX10 (02-24-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 05:30 PM
Intermediate

After looking around a little more, the Volvo XC40 looks like an amazing option car for our urban family. Just have to see how it handles my 6'2" frame in the front seat with a rear facing car seat behind me.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:20 PM
Suzuka Master

And if I'm not mistaken, you've sworn off of BMW, too? After my experience with the brand, I'll never own another.

I will say my Touareg has been stellar. Repairs can be outrageously expensive (high pressure fuel pump failures can easily cost owners $12k+), but I've been fortunate thus far. My issue is with the brand, not the car. In a way I'm relieved the new Touareg isn't coming here ... the last thing I need is to be tempted to stay with the brand. The Arteon looks like a solid package, but it's just not compelling enough when the Stinger and Regal GS are out there.
Yup that is me. I will never ever touch a BMW ever again.

I’ve heard this latest gen touareg and Cayenne are rock solid in the reliability department and other than some high speed vibration issues in the Touareg there are no real common issues (unlike the first gens which were nightmares). My goal is a 2011+ Cayenne Turbo S....just waiting for that big depreciation hit to settle all the way. That diesel filter failure from what I recall is mostly because of doing short drive and not allowing the DPF to regen. But I’ve been out of the loop on the Touareg for a while now. I’m really disappointed the 2019’s are not coming, a 2004 Touareg was my first car so it’s got a lot of sentimental value for me.

I do not like the new arteon at all and would easily take the Buick Regal GS or Stinger over it any day of the week and that’s saying A LOT for me.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 206er
After looking around a little more, the Volvo XC40 looks like an amazing option car for our urban family. Just have to see how it handles my 6'2" frame in the front seat with a rear facing car seat behind me.
A few reviews have come out on the XC40 and it looks like Volvo designed it to be boxier than the XC60/90 which is to say that despite the small outer package the interior is actually very roomy. Not to mention interior quality is top notch and will definitely be above the new RDX and even above a lot of German competition.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RDX10

A few reviews have come out on the XC40 and it looks like Volvo designed it to be boxier than the XC60/90 which is to say that despite the small outer package the interior is actually very roomy. Not to mention interior quality is top notch and will definitely be above the new RDX and even above a lot of German competition.
Interesting. One vehicle I have yet to check out. Will take a look at the XC40 as we await final details on the 2019 RDX!
Old 02-24-2018, 09:41 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been solidly in the BMW camp for the past several years and I want to move from a sedan to a small SUV, so I was planning to get an X3 this July when I turn in my 2015 535. But two things have changed that.

1) the best lease deal I could do for a $53K MSRP X3 was $90 more per month than my $67K MSRP 535. BMW apparently no longer supports their residual values, and lease factors have gone up. And the dealer that I've worked with previously to get really strong deals is no longer as motivated to make a deal on the 2018 (redesigned) X3. They must be selling well.

2) I saw a story about the 2019 RDX and it seems to check every box for me. Most importantly, after enduring the horrible infotainment system on my 2010 MDX (now being driven by my boys in college), it appears that the system in the RDX will actually be pretty good. I really like the iDrive and HUD systems in my BMW, and I am hopeful that the new systems in the RDX will be just as good (or better).

Anyway, I am looking forward to evaluating the RDX when it is released this summer.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Interesting. One vehicle I have yet to check out. Will take a look at the XC40 as we await final details on the 2019 RDX!
It is definitely a vehicle I will be considering in the future as well. You also can’t fail a volvo when it comes to safety so that is always a massive bonus as well.

Originally Posted by KevinMR
I've been solidly in the BMW camp for the past several years and I want to move from a sedan to a small SUV, so I was planning to get an X3 this July when I turn in my 2015 535. But two things have changed that.

1) the best lease deal I could do for a $53K MSRP X3 was $90 more per month than my $67K MSRP 535. BMW apparently no longer supports their residual values, and lease factors have gone up. And the dealer that I've worked with previously to get really strong deals is no longer as motivated to make a deal on the 2018 (redesigned) X3. They must be selling well.

2) I saw a story about the 2019 RDX and it seems to check every box for me. Most importantly, after enduring the horrible infotainment system on my 2010 MDX (now being driven by my boys in college), it appears that the system in the RDX will actually be pretty good. I really like the iDrive and HUD systems in my BMW, and I am hopeful that the new systems in the RDX will be just as good (or better).

Anyway, I am looking forward to evaluating the RDX when it is released this summer.
This is what is really crazy about this new RDX, previous RDX’s did not really register on BMW owners radars but I can expect it to steal more and more customers if it performs as good as it looks. Well done Acura.

Also interesting that your boys drive an MDX in college (I was also driving one when I was in Uni haha).
Old 02-26-2018, 04:04 PM
7th Gear

The XC-40 was the first I looked at. I love it, though there have been complaints with the touchscreen, which is the same as the XC60 and 90, I believe. It's brand new, so that makes me a little nervous and I'd prefer not to lease. With the RDX and NX, I think the XC40 is 3rd on my list now. I've been waiting for Alex's review since the XC40 was announced.

206er (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 09:33 AM
Instructor

Has anyone looked at Jaguar? Saw a F-Pace on the road and liked the look so checked it out online. There is also the E-Pace but I believe it may be a bit small since I read its slightly bigger than the X1 and smaller than the Q3 and X3. I would definitely have to go used if I went with the F-Pace to with within my 55k-65k CDN budget. Took a glance at autotrader and a 2017 Jaguar F-Pace 35t Prestige (340hp) with 55km runs for 55k-60k CDN. What are people's thoughts on the F-Pace and Jaguar in general? Durability? Longevity? etc.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:22 AM
Intermediate

Has anyone looked at Jaguar? Saw a F-Pace on the road and liked the look so checked it out online. There is also the E-Pace but I believe it may be a bit small since I read its slightly bigger than the X1 and smaller than the Q3 and X3. I would definitely have to go used if I went with the F-Pace to with within my 55k-65k CDN budget. Took a glance at autotrader and a 2017 Jaguar F-Pace 35t Prestige (340hp) with 55km runs for 55k-60k CDN. What are people's thoughts on the F-Pace and Jaguar in general? Durability? Longevity? etc.
F-Pace does look good, but I just saw the I-Pace, and WOW I'm in love! Not in my price range yet, but it's amazing that they've built an EV SUV to go head-to-head with the Tesla Model X that starts out $10k cheaper than the X ($5k cheaper than the Model S)! Wonder what the I-Pace will be leasing for...
Old 03-06-2018, 10:27 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MasterLuke
The XC-40 was the first I looked at. I love it, though there have been complaints with the touchscreen, which is the same as the XC60 and 90, I believe. It's brand new, so that makes me a little nervous and I'd prefer not to lease. With the RDX and NX, I think the XC40 is 3rd on my list now. I've been waiting for Alex's review since the XC40 was announced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf0kvkpZNEo
Pretty sure we'll end up leasing the XC40... unless the RDX pricing/included features are super competitive. Any thoughts on when RDX pricing might be unveiled? Waiting for its numbers/features is the only thing keeping me from ordering an XC40 right now.

Last edited by 206er; 03-06-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:30 AM
Burning Brakes

We test drove the F-Pace when my wife was shopping. We loved the styling, but the interior was a letdown. The materials were so-so, and there were some ergonomic misfires. My wife couldn't get comfortable, and the tall belt line gives it a claustrophobic feel. It's also quite wide for the class, so it lost points for maneuverability as well. It drives ok, but the engine is outdated and lacks refinement compared to other premium 6-cylinder offerings. To the surprise of nobody, reliability has not been good. Make sure you give the Carfax a good scrutinizing.

The E-Pace is a Range Rover Evoque at its core, but with amore sophisticated rear suspension design. It uses the much maligned ZF 9-speed transmission, but early indications are that it has been improved. We tried the gearbox in a number of cars, including the Discovery Sport and Evoque platform-mates, and I still won't consider putting a ZF-9-equipped car in my garage.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:22 PM
Instructor

We test drove the F-Pace when my wife was shopping. We loved the styling, but the interior was a letdown. The materials were so-so, and there were some ergonomic misfires. My wife couldn't get comfortable, and the tall belt line gives it a claustrophobic feel. It's also quite wide for the class, so it lost points for maneuverability as well. It drives ok, but the engine is outdated and lacks refinement compared to other premium 6-cylinder offerings. To the surprise of nobody, reliability has not been good. Make sure you give the Carfax a good scrutinizing.

The E-Pace is a Range Rover Evoque at its core, but with amore sophisticated rear suspension design. It uses the much maligned ZF 9-speed transmission, but early indications are that it has been improved. We tried the gearbox in a number of cars, including the Discovery Sport and Evoque platform-mates, and I still won't consider putting a ZF-9-equipped car in my garage.
Great insight. Thanks for this.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:49 PM
Instructor

Pretty sure we'll end up leasing the XC40... unless the RDX pricing/included features are super competitive. Any thoughts on when RDX pricing might be unveiled? Waiting for its numbers/features is the only thing keeping me from ordering an XC40 right now.
I checked out the XC40. It definitely looked and felt luxurious (love all the different colour combos inside and out). My issues with the vehicle are: 1) I think it's going to be too small for me in terms of rear cargo area; 2) I wasn't a fan of the system for switching gears (had to double tap the shifter in the applicable direction to shift gears; 3) no HUD offered, if i recall correctly; 4) at first glance I wasn't a huge fan of the tablet console display, however I definitely didnt get enough time to fool around with it.

But for the price point, it definitely seemed like one of the best 'bang for you buck" vehicles around as it contains a ton of cool features.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:47 PM
Suzuka Master

This is a 100% accurate post. The F-Pace is a very good looking crossover but it falls flat on its’ face when it comes to things that make a luxury crossover a luxury crossover. I would consider buying one used down the line but would never ever pay the asking price. Material quality is very poor with tons of cheap hard plastic everywhere and while the superchaged V6 is nice, it’s really an old engine design where they bascially use the same block from the 5.0 V8 and turn it into a V6....so it seems lazy to me.

Furthermore it is a WHOPPING 83.3” wide!! Just for comparisons sake the BMW X5 is about 77” wide and my old MDX was 78” wide. One of the worst parts about owning my MDX was in-town maneuverability. With it being so wide, it was always a pain in the ass to park it and get in/out of parking spaces. It was just incredibly cumbersome. I often opted to take out our now also sold 2009 Hyundai santa fe because it felt extremely car like compared to the trucky MDX.

I checked out the XC40. It definitely looked and felt luxurious (love all the different colour combos inside and out). My issues with the vehicle are: 1) I think it's going to be too small for me in terms of rear cargo area; 2) I wasn't a fan of the system for switching gears (had to double tap the shifter in the applicable direction to shift gears; 3) no HUD offered, if i recall correctly; 4) at first glance I wasn't a huge fan of the tablet console display, however I definitely didnt get enough time to fool around with it.

But for the price point, it definitely seemed like one of the best 'bang for you buck" vehicles around as it contains a ton of cool features.
I love the XC40, it manages to be somewhat unique and has its’ own little quirky styling. But my favorite part is that Volvo never cheaped out on it, they really went all out with quality. Incredibly well built for the class and pricepoint. There is no HUD in Canada but they just released the inscription trim and I expect it to be available on there.

The E-pace in comparison is super sexy but also damn is it pricey for what it is. It goes upto 78k!!! That is ridiculous for what you get.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:31 PM
Burning Brakes

I really want to consider Volvo, but I continue to encounter one disappointment after another. I attempted to test drive the XC60 yesterday, but after driving an hour one way, the salesman stood me up. He "stepped out for about an hour", or so I was told. "Could I wait?" No, I could not! There were several other salespeople on-hand at the multi-franchise dealership, but none of them were permitted to coordinate Volvo test drives. So I spent more than two hours on the road to sit in a showroom model. Simply ridiculous! My local dealership is just 15 minutes away, but they never have any decent inventory. I have yet to see or drive an XC40, but I know it's too small for me. Even the XC60 is borderline too small.

Speaking of borderline too small, I also sampled a Stinger GT2 yesterday. On paper the cargo capacity essentially matches that of the XC60, but it's a little longer and now quite as deep, which is an advantage for me. As for the drive, it was an absolute blast! It's not exactly tossable, but the ride-handling balance feels really well tuned. And the power ... WOW! I drive too many miles to lease, but with a $7k factory lease incentive, I would take advantage of generous lease allowance and then buy it out within first month or two.

We better get some concrete information on the RDX soon, or I'm going to lose my patience.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I just recently started following the RDX in detail after reading about and seeing pictures of the new model, the prototype shown at the Detroit Auto Show. I was very interested in the new model as a candidate replacement for our 2011 BMW X3 35i at some point in the future.

The future came more quickly than I anticipated- our X3 developed a problem with the TPM system and when we took it to our local independent repair shop, we found out there were a number of things wrong. It would have cost $4,000 to fix everything needed at that time. In addition, there was a problem developing with the turbo that would have required an expensive repair at some point down the road.

The X3 was almost 7 years old but only had 53,000 miles. We decided to trade it in and focused on two alternatives- a new X3 M40i and an RDX. I could not wait for the new model so it was a 2018 RDX. We bought the RDX, an Advance AWD, on 24 Feb. We were offered a great discount on a new X3 M40i but chose the RDX for a better value now, and a hoped for lower cost of ownership after factory warranties and maintenance expires. The RDX is primarily my wife's car.

I'm still interested in following the new RDX, especially if they offer a turbo V-6 at some point as I have heard rumored.

One comment on run flat tires. I bought a 2006 BMW 3 series new, which was the first year it came with run flats. That was a disaster, a little over a year later I traded it in for a 5 series with go flat tires. But run flats have evolved as well as suspension designs. Our 2011 X3 came with run flats and we had no issue with them. Both my previous car, a 2013 3 series, and my current car, a 2017 3 series, came with run flats and no problems or complaints. On my 2017, the car came with run flat performance summer tires that I replaced with go flat ultra high performance all season and I could not tell any major differences in ride quality or handling.

Bruce
jcross1231 (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 11:53 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BCOmega
The X3 was almost 7 years old but only had 53,000 miles. We decided to trade it in and focused on two alternatives- a new X3 M40i and an RDX. I could not wait for the new model so it was a 2018 RDX. We bought the RDX, an Advance AWD, on 24 Feb. We were offered a great discount on a new X3 M40i but chose the RDX for a better value now, and a hoped for lower cost of ownership after factory warranties and maintenance expires. The RDX is primarily my wife's car.

I'm still interested in following the new RDX, especially if they offer a turbo V-6 at some point as I have heard rumored.

One comment on run flat tires. I bought a 2006 BMW 3 series new, which was the first year it came with run flats. That was a disaster, a little over a year later I traded it in for a 5 series with go flat tires. But run flats have evolved as well as suspension designs. Our 2011 X3 came with run flats and we had no issue with them. Both my previous car, a 2013 3 series, and my current car, a 2017 3 series, came with run flats and no problems or complaints. On my 2017, the car came with run flat performance summer tires that I replaced with go flat ultra high performance all season and I could not tell any major differences in ride quality or handling.
Just curious - why did you focus on the M40i X3 over the standard X3?

I just put new run flats (cheapest BMW-approved models) on my 535 since I am turning it in this June. I agree that they have improved significantly. Love driving my "old" car when it has new tires...feels really smooth.

I am continuing to monitor the RDX and other options in that size when I turn in the BMW. I've already ruled out the Volvo and Infiniti options due to their infotainment systems. As I posted above, I hated the systems in my MDX, so I swore that I'd never get a car that fell short in that category.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:58 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KevinMR
Just curious - why did you focus on the M40i X3 over the standard X3?

I just put new run flats (cheapest BMW-approved models) on my 535 since I am turning it in this June. I agree that they have improved significantly. Love driving my "old" car when it has new tires...feels really smooth.

I am continuing to monitor the RDX and other options in that size when I turn in the BMW. I've already ruled out the Volvo and Infiniti options due to their infotainment systems. As I posted above, I hated the systems in my MDX, so I swore that I'd never get a car that fell short in that category.
The primary reasons for focusing on the M40i were:
- We were spoiled by the turbo 6 cylinder on our 2011 X3 in power, smoothness, and engine sound
- It includes a true sport suspension, something not available on previous X3s in the US

A secondary reason was:
- I had read that depending on the options selected, the 30i could end up somewhat close in MSRP to the M40i although I did not do a comparison myself

One aspect of the M40i is I would not have purchased one without the adaptive suspension after reading test reports. Said the ride was too busy with the static sport suspension. Ride quality is one area where the 30i gets better reviews than the M40i.

One other option I would have considered in replacing our X3, beyond the RDX, was a Ford Edge. They have a sport model now which is being replaced by the ST model later this year. I was / am interested in the ST but its not available yet.

Bruce

Old 03-08-2018, 02:16 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you are leasing, the car you like most is the one to get. If you want to own it for a long time, know that the European cars will cost a lot more to repair. With BMW, I believe their leases incorporate maintenance which means a whopping oil change every 10 k. Can't speak to maintenance on the other European cars.

If you are going to buy, Honda and Toyota are both excellent choices in terms of reliability and maintenance costs although their premium badges are more (hey, someone has to pay for the premium coffee and car wash and its the customer).

We have had Honda and Acura products for years and fortunately, so far they have all been bulletproof. One issue I am hearing with the new model Honda CRV (1.5L Turbo) is that in cold climates, the engine struggles to properly warm up and as a result, the computer has the fuel injectors putting more gas into the engine - problem is that the engine is not burning the excess fuel so in some cases, it finds its way into the engine oil or just doesn't burn so a gas odor ensues. Honda will figure out a way to address but in some cases, a check engine light will come on and I have heard of several situations where the problem arises in a brand new vehicle and the customer has demanded it be returned. I tell you this because my concern is that this problem could surface on the 2.0L Honda turbo engine - no reports that I am aware of on the 2.0 Turbo (new model Accord is now shipping with the 2.0L turbo but fundamentally, Honda and Acura share basic engines sans different computer programming to impact HP and Torque. I drove they new model Honda CRV and it was a great car, every bit as nice as the current RDX but a tad smaller. Like I said, I know Honda will fix the problem but not sure when and if the problem requires something more than computer reprogramming.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nates NJTL
...... If you want to own it for a long time, know that the European cars will cost a lot more to repair. With BMW, I believe their leases incorporate maintenance which means a whopping oil change every 10 k. Can't speak to maintenance on the other European cars.

If you are going to buy, Honda and Toyota are both excellent choices in terms of reliability and maintenance costs although their premium badges are more (hey, someone has to pay for the premium coffee and car wash and its the customer).

We have had Honda and Acura products for years and fortunately, so far they have all been bulletproof......
I agree on the cost of owning a European vehicle outside of warranty coverage, and I think its expensive to purchase an extended warranty from the manufacturer. That plus our previous ownership experience with Honda cars and motorcycles, the reputation of Honda/Acura such as you have experienced, and Acura pricing are the reasons we purchased an RDX over an X3.

FWIW, all new BMWs come with maintenance coverage whether they are leased or purchased. But BMW recently reduced both the warranty and maintenance coverage from 4 to 3 years, and excluded some items from maintenance coverage such as brakes and windshield wipers.

From what I have seen and read, the Acura SUV's are more performance oriented than Honda SUV's.

For Toyota / Lexus, I'm not aware that any of their SUV's have much of a performance orientation.

Bruce
Old 03-09-2018, 09:28 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am interested in this thread as I am also shopping for a suv for my wife, she is used to driving a sedan (current C300), but we need something bigger than a sedan, as getting kids in and out sometimes becomes challenging. The obvious was we were thinking was the GLC 300, but it is too similar to our C300, so not sure if we want that. I dont want to spend a lot of money, and though of going the CRV route as we have a Rav4, but then i found out about the new RDX which looks excellent and my complaint of the interior has been taken care of, waiting for it to come out to test drive, also interested in the volvo xc60, but not sure if I want to pay that much for a volvo. X3 is something that would interest us, but the price goes up very quickly and I dont like that they charge you for things that are standard on under 25k cars.

Plus, we already have an audi q7, so not sure we want to keep two luxury cars. I want o be wise with how much we spend, but at the same time, if there is a good lease deal on a luxury car, I am not gonna miss that opportunity.
So I am not sure which SUV will fit our needs, where it is big enough to give us enough room for cargo etc, and yet fun and fresh and new.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:46 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by hulk369
I am interested in this thread as I am also shopping for a suv for my wife, she is used to driving a sedan (current C300), but we need something bigger than a sedan, as getting kids in and out sometimes becomes challenging. The obvious was we were thinking was the GLC 300, but it is too similar to our C300, so not sure if we want that. I dont want to spend a lot of money, and though of going the CRV route as we have a Rav4, but then i found out about the new RDX which looks excellent and my complaint of the interior has been taken care of, waiting for it to come out to test drive, also interested in the volvo xc60, but not sure if I want to pay that much for a volvo. X3 is something that would interest us, but the price goes up very quickly and I dont like that they charge you for things that are standard on under 25k cars.

Plus, we already have an audi q7, so not sure we want to keep two luxury cars. I want o be wise with how much we spend, but at the same time, if there is a good lease deal on a luxury car, I am not gonna miss that opportunity.
So I am not sure which SUV will fit our needs, where it is big enough to give us enough room for cargo etc, and yet fun and fresh and new.
You sound like the typical target audience of Acura RDX. Hey, there's nothing to think too much here. ha ha.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:36 PM
Instructor

So i fooled around and tried to build a Volvo XC60. It started at 52k CDN MSRP. By the time I added all the packages (Vision, Convenience, Climate), Polestar performance optimization (not really sure if this is necessary but added it anyways), 4 corner air suspension with four C-active chassis (not really sure if this is necessary but added it anyways), HUD, and Bowers and wilkins premium sound system, it ballooned to a whopping 77K CDN with estimated taxes in. Really Pricey!!! Definitely out of my budget (looking 55K to 65K). Again, not sure if all those features are actually needed but either way its going to be super expensive. Might still go check it out at a dealership to see what it looks like in person.

Quick Reply: Crossover Market for expected 2018 purchasers!