Climate Control Heat

Old 12-07-2018, 08:06 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Climate Control Heat

I live in a cold New England climate. I’ve always used the “auto” feature of climate control on all previous vehicles including my recently traded 2016 RDX. Generally when it’s cold some warm air comes out of the dash vents while the majority of heat comes from the floor vents. I always liked having that warm air come out of the dash vents during warm up. When my 2019 rdx is on auto in 20/30 degree weather nothing comes out of the dash, only the floor. I know I can take it off auto and use dash/floor, but that defeats the purpose of climate control. Is there a problem with my auto climate control or is that just how it is?
Old 12-07-2018, 08:51 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I notice that the "auto" mode doesn't keep the seats warm enough for me in this NY cold.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:16 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by beancount1
I live in a cold New England climate. I’ve always used the “auto” feature of climate control on all previous vehicles including my recently traded 2016 RDX. Generally when it’s cold some warm air comes out of the dash vents while the majority of heat comes from the floor vents. I always liked having that warm air come out of the dash vents during warm up. When my 2019 rdx is on auto in 20/30 degree weather nothing comes out of the dash, only the floor. I know I can take it off auto and use dash/floor, but that defeats the purpose of climate control. Is there a problem with my auto climate control or is that just how it is?
Mine works the same way, although heat does come out of the rear vents.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:14 AM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
My 2006 Accord was the first vehicle I owned that blew warm out of the side A/C vents, which I liked. I assumed Honda did it that way because there were no dedicated vents for defogging the side windows.

I noticed my RDX doesn't blow warm out the side A/C vents, but I also noticed that it has dedicated vents on the dash that blow warm air on the side windows.

I do find it odd that the A/C vents on the rear of the center console blow warm air. None of the other Hondas I'e owned with rear A/C vents have ever done that. It's becomes an issue when it's cool outside and the system has reached setpoint at which time the rear floor vents will blow warm air and the rear A/C vents will blow cold air.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:58 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife was complaining that cold air was coming from the dash in auto mode even though the climate control was set to a higher temp than what was in the cabin. I did not think was possible, but after hearing a few of the complaints in this thread, it now seems to be a "feature" of how this vehicle deals with air flow.

Does anyone on the forum have a definitive technical definition of how air flow is supposed to work in the auto mode?
Old 12-07-2018, 11:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Buit15
My wife was complaining that cold air was coming from the dash in auto mode even though the climate control was set to a higher temp than what was in the cabin....
I've had cars in the past that would output cooler air from the dash vents if the system determined it was sunny out. The explanation was to prevent driver drowsiness in these conditions where the upper part of the cabin could be higher due to solar warming. I personally found it to be uncomfortable and during the winter would set the system to floor vents only unless I wanted something different. Don't know if that's a 'feature' with the RDX or not but could be a plausible explanation.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:14 AM
Pro

My wife was complaining that cold air was coming from the dash in auto mode even though the climate control was set to a higher temp than what was in the cabin. I did not think was possible, but after hearing a few of the complaints in this thread, it now seems to be a "feature" of how this vehicle deals with air flow.

Does anyone on the forum have a definitive technical definition of how air flow is supposed to work in the auto mode?
Such specific information is not published by Honda.

The climate control in a new '99 Regal I bought worked very well except on sunny days when it was in the 50's°F after the cabin temperature approached setpoint. The fan speed slowed way down and the system would blow cold air out the defroster vents and warm air on the floor so my feet stayed warm, but my fingers and nose froze. During this specific condition, I'd override the system to discharge air only on the floor.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Exactly. My previous generation RDX and a few Saabs worked like this: Once the engine was warm, warm air would come from the floor and dash vents. Then once the temp hit its set point the air would come on and off to maintain the temperature. However the dash vents would sometime go to a mild cool air if the sensors on the dash detected a warm sun. So I could have warm floor air and cooler dash air, but that worked very nicely. This car doesn't work that way and it doesn't make an sense. Why would they change that feature from the previous generation?
Old 12-07-2018, 04:27 PM
10th Gear

It seems Acura was not satisfied at all with the previous generation, and instead of building upon its positive features, it set about to overhaul just about everything. What we have is basically a new model with all the inherent flaws of a generation 1 release. I should have held my ground firmer and talked the wife into the RX350 Lexus we test drove just prior to going from a gen 2 to a gen 3 RDX. She wanted a bit of a more "road feel" that the Acura gave (Lexus definitely was in Comfort mode full time, but now she is making comments about the larger size just being a bit too large.

I have made about 7 posts so far and I cant find a positive thing to say about this RDX. My posting will end soon as I do not like being a full time forum complainer.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:21 AM
Instructor

It seems Acura was not satisfied at all with the previous generation, and instead of building upon its positive features, it set about to overhaul just about everything. What we have is basically a new model with all the inherent flaws of a generation 1 release. I should have held my ground firmer and talked the wife into the RX350 Lexus we test drove just prior to going from a gen 2 to a gen 3 RDX. She wanted a bit of a more "road feel" that the Acura gave (Lexus definitely was in Comfort mode full time, but now she is making comments about the larger size just being a bit too large.

I have made about 7 posts so far and I cant find a positive thing to say about this RDX. My posting will end soon as I do not like being a full time forum complainer.
Being new to this vehicle (week and a half), I complain to the forum in the hopes that someone will inform me I'm doing something wrong and there's a fix to my problem. Unfortunately others seem to have a similar issue, so far at least. Just to be balanced I have to say that this acura handles much better than the previous generation. The seats are comfortable (big issue for me) and there's plenty of room for long legs. It's also a great value when compared to the Audi, MB, Lexus and Beemer. Now if they can just fix all this other stuff.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:48 AM
10th Gear

I was a Guinea pig in 2005 with the Honda Ridgeline. That truck had a forum with hundreds of members who all were in the same boat and worked together to force answers out of Honda. Dozens of recalls and redesigns followed. This truck needs a bit of that aggression from the owner community.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:22 PM
Burning Brakes

...Does anyone on the forum have a definitive technical definition of how air flow is supposed to work in the auto mode?
No technical specifications but found this in the RDX press release (whether or not it was implemented this way is a different issue):
... Technology, A-Spec and Advance packages add a GPS-link for still better control of individual settings. For the comfort of rear seat passengers, adjustable dual vents are provided in the rear of the center console.

With its position-sensing ability, the GPS navigation system (RDX with Technology Package and higher) contributes to overall passenger comfort with a 3D solar sensing feature. Based on continuously updated vehicle position information, the navigation system determines the position of the sun relative to the driver and front passenger. Combining this information with input from a solar sensor located on top of the instrument panel, the climate control system automatically adjusts cooling/heating and airflow from side to side as needed to compensate for asymmetrical solar heating...
2019 Acura RDX Press Kit - Honda News
Old 12-08-2018, 04:42 PM
10th Gear

Good find and interesting information. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:51 PM
Drifting

Yeah? If the car is so smart, why does it turn on the seat heaters if nobody is sitting in the passenger seat?
The following 2 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
nylawyer2000 (12-11-2018), zroger73 (12-17-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 05:03 PM
10th Gear

Some of the smartest people have zero common sense, just like this truck.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Yeah? If the car is so smart, why does it turn on the seat heaters if nobody is sitting in the passenger seat?
So when you remote start both seats will be warm in case you have a passenger?

Seriously, I think that's kind of dumb as well.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:35 PM
Drifting

Well, maybe they had oughta moved some of the dash lights. The yellow lights up to say the airbag won’t go off ‘cause there ain’t nobody sitting in the passenger seat, and right next to it the little LED lights glow red as if to say, what the heck, if I’m wrong about that, at least I’m heating up her butt.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
No technical specifications but found this in the RDX press release (whether or not it was implemented this way is a different issue):

Then if it's a cloudy day (no solar effect), 18 degrees and the car has reached heating temperature, warm air should come out of the dash vents based on this specification.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:03 AM
Drifting

Then if it's a cloudy day (no solar effect), 18 degrees and the car has reached heating temperature, warm air should come out of the dash vents based on this specification.
It doesn’t really say that last part.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:08 AM
Instructor

It doesn’t really say that last part.
I know...not specifically. Just my interpretation of what a smart system should do based on these criteria.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Then if it's a cloudy day (no solar effect),...
There is solar heating effect even on cloudy days.

I have a southern facing house and the thermostat happens to be in a room with southern exposure. On a sunny day in the winter it's not at all unusual to have to raise the temperature setting by as much as 3 or 4 degrees to get the furnace to kick on to warm the rest of the house. On cloudy days just a couple of degrees will suffice. (And, yes, the room with the thermostat is very warm as a result, even with the furnace vents closed.) I know it's solar effect because after sundown I have to return the setting to normal else it gets way to warm.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Interesting that my auto heated and ventilated seats on my 2018 TLX Elite ASpec only come on if someone is sitting in them. The auto setting on the CC uses the floor and defrost setting, which works well. Why change this? I have always found my Acura Auto Climate Control to be impeccable.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:14 AM
Pro

GPS-linked climate control has been around since 2002 in the TL. The RDX has always had it. It's been in Hondas since at least 2005 in the Ridgeline.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:58 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
So when you remote start both seats will be warm in case you have a passenger?

Seriously, I think that's kind of dumb as well.
Interesting. When I remote start the steering wheel heater and the interior cabin heater are active but the seat heaters are not. I leave the seat control on auto. It is cold in UNY so outside temp sensor should call for heated seats. Do others have the seat heaters come on with remote start in cold weather? Do I need to make my 18th trip to the dealer?