Notices

Class 3 Hitch - Iinstalled?

 
Old 10-14-2018, 06:43 AM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Age: 47
Posts: 95
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Class 3 Hitch - Iinstalled?

Has anyone found a place that sells and installs Class 3 hitched for a 5 bike rack?

In the past I've always done it at uhaul but they don't seem to have hitches for this 2019 model yet...
WPJoe is offline  
Old 10-14-2018, 07:37 AM
  #2  
mrgold35
 
mrgold35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 4,625
Received 572 Likes on 478 Posts
I added a class II 2" hidden hitch to my 1st Gen RDX; but, I still keep my bike rack weight within the Class I limits (150lbs tongue/1500lbs tow). I use my 4-bike 2" platform rack on my RDX and I only put two bike close to the hatch (120lbs of ebikes). 1st Gen tongue weight is limited to 150lbs and the hitch limit goes down as:
- total passengers increase above 2
- you add more gear to the cargo area
- you increase the length of the rack away from the rear of the RDX

I'm already kinda pushing the limits with my set-up. I always switch the 4 bike rack to my MDX when I need to add a +2 people or bikes.

The only way I can see you taking 5 bikes safely with the RDX is with a trailer or mounting 3 on the roof/2 on the hitch.

Last edited by mrgold35; 10-14-2018 at 07:40 AM.
mrgold35 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Wander (10-15-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 09:15 AM
  #3  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Age: 47
Posts: 95
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Why do you think that?

I have had a Subaru Forester for years and the Class III hitch always worked fine?

At any rate, its not often I take 5 bikes at a time anymore...usually only 2 or 3. Or 5 sets of skis.

But I would like a Class III hitch if anyone has ideas...
WPJoe is offline  
Old 10-14-2018, 10:35 AM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 917
Received 224 Likes on 154 Posts
You can't install that which doesn't exist. I'm not aware of a Class III ( 2" ) hitch for 2019 RDX and I'm not holding my breath; I don't think there is room. The major manufacturers of hitches are Curt and Draw-Tite. U-Haul sells Draw-Tite hitches. ( Curt is probably the OEM manufacturer for Honda/Acura ). Neither Curt nor Draw-Tite lists aftermarket hitches at this time. In the future they will probably produce a Class II hitch ( 1-1/4" ) that will hang down below the bumper shroud. This is the case for the current CRV.

https://www.curtmfg.com

Draw-Tite

Class I and II hitches are more limited in their tongue weight capacity than Class III ( 2" ) hitches, as mrgold35 notes. Thule doesn't recommend using their 4-bike platform bike racks with a 1-1/4 inch hitch.

If you really need to carry that much gear, consider a "cross-bars on wheels" trailer, like the ones made by Yakima or Malone. I got a Yakima Rack and Roll trailer for the family fleet of Kayaks a few years ago, and I wondered why the heck I waited so long.

Or use a roof rack. Thule has a fit for the OEM 2019 RDX roof rails, and the new aerobars are a lot nicer than the old square bars.

Last edited by Wander; 10-14-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Wander is offline  
The following users liked this post:
mrgold35 (10-14-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 01:33 AM
  #5  
Summer is Coming
 
Rocket_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,773
Received 582 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander View Post
You can't install that which doesn't exist. I'm not aware of a Class III ( 2" ) hitch for 2019 RDX and I'm not holding my breath; I don't think there is room. The major manufacturers of hitches are Curt and Draw-Tite. U-Haul sells Draw-Tite hitches. ( Curt is probably the OEM manufacturer for Honda/Acura ). Neither Curt nor Draw-Tite lists aftermarket hitches at this time. In the future they will probably produce a Class II hitch ( 1-1/4" ) that will hang down below the bumper shroud. This is the case for the current CRV.

https://www.curtmfg.com

Draw-Tite

Class I and II hitches are more limited in their tongue weight capacity than Class III ( 2" ) hitches, as mrgold35 notes. Thule doesn't recommend using their 4-bike platform bike racks with a 1-1/4 inch hitch.

If you really need to carry that much gear, consider a "cross-bars on wheels" trailer, like the ones made by Yakima or Malone. I got a Yakima Rack and Roll trailer for the family fleet of Kayaks a few years ago, and I wondered why the heck I waited so long.

Or use a roof rack. Thule has a fit for the OEM 2019 RDX roof rails, and the new aerobars are a lot nicer than the old square bars.
Curt has a class III hitch for the CR-V https://www.curtmfg.com/part/13397
So there is hope.
Rocket_man is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Wander (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 06:19 AM
  #6  
mrgold35
 
mrgold35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 4,625
Received 572 Likes on 478 Posts
I guess I'm missing the point of using a Class III 2" hitch on the RDX over a Class II 2"? I went Class II hitch on my RDX to switch my bike rack easily between my RDX and MDX without having add an extension to up-convert from 1.25". I don't think I can now tow 3500 lbs in my RDX now because of my class II hitch. The only reason I can think of by going with the Class III hitch is you are planning to exceed the recommended tongue and weight restrictions. No big deal to me, just wondering.
mrgold35 is offline  
Old 10-15-2018, 09:49 PM
  #7  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 917
Received 224 Likes on 154 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35 View Post
I guess I'm missing the point of using a Class III 2" hitch on the RDX over a Class II 2"? I went Class II hitch on my RDX to switch my bike rack easily between my RDX and MDX without having add an extension to up-convert from 1.25". I don't think I can now tow 3500 lbs in my RDX now because of my class II hitch. The only reason I can think of by going with the Class III hitch is you are planning to exceed the recommended tongue and weight restrictions. No big deal to me, just wondering.
AFAIK Class II hitches are usually 1-1/4", not 2". But my 2019 RDX is the first time I've ever had a 1-1/4" hitch. Until now, I've always sneered at the pathetic little 1-1/4" hitches nearly scraping the pavement under minivans. Oh well. I can still sneer at the sliding doors.

Class II is just a slightly beefier version of 1-1/4" hitch. I think there can be some funkiness about hitch pin position that can create problems between Class II attachments and Class I hitches. Largely because Class I hitches are so lightweight they really can't take much stress. For instance, I think platforms with 1-1/4" tubes are usually rated for Class II only. But again, I'm new to this wimpy-size 1-1/4" thing. All my other vehicles have 2" Class III hitches. ( Except my daughter's new CRV, which is naked in back ).

Last edited by Wander; 10-15-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Wander is offline  
The following users liked this post:
mrgold35 (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 06:23 AM
  #8  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Age: 47
Posts: 95
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, that's my experience as well.
Would be bummed if they don't come out with a class 3 for this car.
WPJoe is offline  
Old 04-19-2019, 02:31 PM
  #9  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Age: 47
Posts: 95
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
WPJoe is offline  
Old 04-19-2019, 05:19 PM
  #10  
Registered Member
 
Yotrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 319
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Yotrek is offline  
Old 04-19-2019, 07:37 PM
  #11  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Minnesota
Age: 27
Posts: 512
Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts
I donít get how if the RDX is designed for a class 1 hitch, yet they can make class 3 hitches, even tho they are supported by the same spots in the frame for bolting it to the vehicle. What if a big factor in the reason they did class 1 is that the frame can not handle more then 150 tongue weight?? I really wish the RDX could pull more then 1500 lbs and more then 150lb tongue weight. If the dealer ever finds out you have pulled more then 1500 lbs you will void your transmission warranty and possibly other parts. But if you just want it for a 2 inch bike rack I donít see an issue, except that any aftermarket mount will have to come out below the plastic bumper putting it lower to the ground, for a hitch thatís already mounted low, I would think there is no doubt you will have dragging issues with almost any 2 inch bike rack at that point. Anyways here is my rocky mounts 1.25 inch platform rack, I love it I prefer the hidden hitch that the factory provides. I have had no problems dragging even leaving the steep ramp to get out of the parking garage.









Last edited by Dereileak; 04-19-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Dereileak is offline  
Old 04-19-2019, 08:07 PM
  #12  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Age: 45
Posts: 172
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
How is the 1.25 setup at handling twisting torque? Does the rack rattle much?
markm929 is offline  
Old 04-19-2019, 08:18 PM
  #13  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Minnesota
Age: 27
Posts: 512
Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by markm929 View Post
How is the 1.25 setup at handling twisting torque? Does the rack rattle much?
it seems fine, it comes with a bolt that pulls the hitch towards one side the of the hitch and holds it tight to it.
Link to Anti-wobble bolt

you can also buy one of these if you get more movement then you would like
Link to anti-wobble collar

But its been very stable, doesn't seem to twist much at all from what I can tell. only thing is if you hit a big bump it does move up and down a bit.


This site has videos of them driving crazy with the rack on to show you the movement
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...etails=.videos

I got mine from backcountry.com for $340 shipped with a promo code
Dereileak is offline  
Old 04-19-2019, 08:25 PM
  #14  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 917
Received 224 Likes on 154 Posts
If you read the fine print, the hitch rating is limited to the lesser of the vehicle's tow rating or the rating of the hitch itself.

We don't know if the low rating for the RDX's OEM hitch is due to wimpy attachment points, or limitations of the mechanical systems of the vehicle, or both.

I would view the 2" hitch as a convenience for attaching lightweight 2" accessories. I wouldn't load it up any more than I would the 1-1/4 inch hitch. YMMV
Wander is offline  
Old 05-05-2019, 01:06 AM
  #15  
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Age: 37
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have the draw tite hitch installed? Curious to see some more pics of how it looks other than the one picture provided in the manufacturerís installation instructions.

Curt confirmed they are working on a hitch for the RDX as well, but still in design phase with no eta. I asked if it would be a hidden cross tube and they couldnít confirm yet.
njtc is offline  
Old 05-12-2019, 09:20 AM
  #16  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Age: 47
Posts: 95
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by njtc View Post
Does anyone have the draw tite hitch installed? Curious to see some more pics of how it looks other than the one picture provided in the manufacturerís installation instructions.

Curt confirmed they are working on a hitch for the RDX as well, but still in design phase with no eta. I asked if it would be a hidden cross tube and they couldnít confirm yet.
I got it installed. Sticks out a little more than I'd like... Around 6 inches.


WPJoe is offline  
Old 05-12-2019, 10:47 AM
  #17  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Minnesota
Age: 27
Posts: 512
Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by WPJoe View Post
I got it installed. Sticks out a little more than I'd like... Around 6 inches.

Although a 2 inch hitch would be nice, I hate how the aftermarket hitches look
Dereileak is offline  
Old 05-12-2019, 07:57 PM
  #18  
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Age: 37
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing beats the look of the oem hitch, too bad they don’t offer it a 2in version. It is a bummer that the Draw Tite sticks out so far, but if you need a 2in that’s the only way to go... I don’t plan to pull anything, and I just use the hitch for my bike rack, so I may settle for the oem and will have to replace my 2in bike rack.

Based on how little clearance is available with the spare tire down there, im guessing other 3rd party hitches that come out are going to have visible cross tubes as well.
njtc is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 12:01 AM
  #19  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Age: 39
Posts: 20
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow that sticks out more than I thought... no wonder the only pic draw-tite gave was from straight in the rear.
Not sure what to do now as I was considering OEM or that class 3 draw-tite, but don’t love the look.

I could deal with a Class II hitch, but the OEM class I scares me, because half the reason I want a hitch is for emergency recovery which the class 1 is too weak for (I like to be prepared as have been there before) and the other half is to tow a 700 lbs trailer and 700 lbs ATV, which is just below the limit.

Anyone have more faith in the OEM hitch than I do?
REALM is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 12:31 PM
  #20  
Registered Member
 
Phil Onyschuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Age: 44
Posts: 51
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I went with the OEM, looks the best, especially on the ASpec. For two bikes, there is no better rack then the 1UP USA rack. I have an extension to add 2nd bike, which bolts on in 1 minute.
Phil Onyschuk is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 12:40 PM
  #21  
Registered Member
 
Yotrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 319
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Maybe if CURT come out with the 2" design for 2019 RDX won't be too stick out like DrawTite, when looking at how they look one for CR-V..
Yotrek is offline  
Old 05-20-2019, 12:53 PM
  #22  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Age: 45
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by REALM View Post
Wow that sticks out more than I thought... no wonder the only pic draw-tite gave was from straight in the rear.
Not sure what to do now as I was considering OEM or that class 3 draw-tite, but donít love the look.

I could deal with a Class II hitch, but the OEM class I scares me, because half the reason I want a hitch is for emergency recovery which the class 1 is too weak for (I like to be prepared as have been there before) and the other half is to tow a 700 lbs trailer and 700 lbs ATV, which is just below the limit.

Anyone have more faith in the OEM hitch than I do?

I am not liking the aftermarket hitch either. For the OEM hitch, do you have to cut any part of the bumper off for the base/A-Spec models? Thinking of getting rid of my Tacoma & Miata for one single SUV.

Would the RDX tow a jetski/trailer with a combined weight of 1200lbs fine?

Thanks,
TT
tntrac is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
AcuraMDX16
3G MDX Discussion (2014+)
3
03-14-2016 12:18 PM
cervelott
First Generation RDX (2007-2012)
3
10-02-2012 08:54 AM
jstahnke10
Car Parts for Sale
3
03-10-2010 03:56 PM
jstahnke10
Car Parts for Sale
1
07-14-2009 02:35 PM
mrsteve
Car Parts for Sale
12
08-17-2005 10:26 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Class 3 Hitch - Iinstalled?


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.